Ren'Py Abandoned Ben X Slave Quest [v0.05e] [Newman&Akanoes]

2.90 star(s) 25 Votes

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
It's one thing to be impatient about something that you're excited for but I don't understand the whole the creator on Patreon is taking too long therefore it's a scam mentality.
If a content creator on the platform is taking too long to deliver something a patron might expect sooner, the patron can easily cancel their pledge and reinstate it at a later date when the content creator drops something that they feel is worth their money. You can follow creators on there without pledging and they appear on your feed. It's not like cancelling a pledge locks you out of all future updates. You either want to support a creator or you don't, and if you don't and you just want to buy an update then it makes more sense to just pay on the months when there's content... or, since we're all here, don't.
If someone is just passively allowing Patreon to take their money without it giving them what they want out of it back then more fool them.

tldr: Treat Patreon as a means to show your support for a creator rather than to buy what they're making.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
A scam, by definition, is a deceptive scheme or trick used to cheat someone out of their valuables. If a creator says "I'm making this and this, donations help to speed up development, donate here, please", and in reality they are not making it, it is, by definition, a deception. And therefore a scam. Furthermore, a successful scam will have its victims not knowing they are scammed at least for a while, so the whole argument that you can opt out of Patreon is moot. A scam is not extortion nor a highway robbery. You can stop supporting someone on Patreon, sure. And your grandma can shut up instead of giving access to her bank account to some shady guy with a heavy Indian accent, can't she? And if not... a fool and her bank account are easily parted, right? Wrong.

So the question is not how fast or slow the development goes, but rather if there is a disparity between promises, self-promotion, and reality. Did the dev lie and if they did was it intentional?

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
You've attempted to exacerbate the scenario by using an analogy equating someone being swindled out of thousands and thousands of dollars to someone being dumb enough to continue to give someone usually around the price of one or maybe two coffees per month despite not getting whatever it is that they wanted in return the previous month.

Your question regarding the disparity between promises made by over-scoping optimistic and oftentimes inexperienced devs and what they deliver is kind of moot when Patreon is touted as a support platform for creators. It's not a store, and they don't sell promises. Sure, they're expected to try to bait you in with rewards and benefits, but try Kickstarter or Itch if you want to buy a promise or a final product. As I already pointed out, it's a support platform. Look up what patronage has historically meant, that's where the name for the platform comes from and that Conte dude who founded it brings that up in the YouTube video in the about section.

But honestly, I'm not sure why I'm engaging with you on this matter. Judging by your signature you give me the impression that you may have a bee in your bonnet about devs in general.

Last edited:

Newman

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
You've attempted to exacerbate the scenario by using an analogy equating someone being swindled out of thousands and thousands of dollars to someone being dumb enough to continue to give someone usually around the price of one or maybe two coffees per month despite not getting whatever it is that they wanted in return the previous month.

Your question regarding the disparity between promises made by over-scoping optimistic and oftentimes inexperienced devs and what they deliver is kind of moot when Patreon is touted as a support platform for creators. It's not a store, and they don't sell promises. Sure, they're expected to try to bait you in with rewards and benefits, but try Kickstarter or Itch if you want to buy a promise or a final product. As I already pointed out, it's a support platform. Look up what patronage has historically meant, that's where the name for the platform comes from and that Conte dude who founded it brings that up in the YouTube video in the about section.

But honestly, I'm not sure why I'm engaging with you on this matter. Judging by your signature you give me the impression that you may have a bee in your bonnet about devs in general.
You... are kinda cool XD And completely right about Patreon being a fair system. If you do things right.

We've been honest with patrons from the start about our jobs, personal issues and life in general, and that's why people have chosen to stay despite the lack of releases (that we send them Goodie Packs with a lot of art and drawing tutorials, and stream codework doesn't hurt either). They are around, in Discord or Patreon, so unless people here or in other sites, they have seen our progress reports and know we haven't stopped working, even if we have stumbled and decided to remake art, writing, and change systems a LOT along the way.

Marshmallow does have a good point about devs with fragile egos, though. I've met my fair share of people who think this is an easy job, and who have used a kind of exaggerated outrage to get out of their promises. A kind of "players don't get me so I quit" kinda thing. It's no surprise if a project doesn't have regular releases, most people assume the project is abandoned. And the only way to prove we haven't is by releasing a new build :) And when we do, there will be people who think the new content is too little, or we haven't changed enough of the old one... we can't ask players to know all about the work we do. They are here to enjoy the game. So all we can do is keep working, keep our promises, and stick to our decisions if we think they are the correct ones, no matter what people say.

And of course, eventually release the damn game XD

Newman

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
We do know we are slow, so a lot of what's been done in the last months has been dev tools so we can work without having to have the insane amount of back and forth we have had to do until now. We are now using GitHub to save -and keep track of- every change, we've streamlined the way dolls and scenes work, Aka made amazing tools for me so I can write and modify dialog and doll layers while playing the actual game (It was firstly done ALL via docs with tags for expressions, clothes, arms..., then with an external tool), and he's also working hard so that from 0.05 on, the saves are compatible with new versions.

I don't know, it's been a wild ride. We've re-designed and reworked so much we can't keep track of it all, it's basically the entire game. And again, most players will only see some new scenes and a new episode and think "2 years, seriously?" XD But the hard work we've done it's so things are much more easy for us from now on, and our hope is that this will translate in regular releases. Especially since enough patrons have supported us for enough time so that we can afford these luxuries. Now it's time for us to pay them back with more GAME and less PROGRESS REPORTS. And of course to ourselves! We want the game out there more than anyone! :D

Rogerericdu

Mar 31, 2019
We do know we are slow, so a lot of what's been done in the last months has been dev tools so we can work without having to have the insane amount of back and forth we have had to do until now. We are now using GitHub to save -and keep track of- every change, we've streamlined the way dolls and scenes work, Aka made amazing tools for me so I can write and modify dialog and doll layers while playing the actual game (It was firstly done ALL via docs with tags for expressions, clothes, arms..., then with an external tool), and he's also working hard so that from 0.05 on, the saves are compatible with new versions.

I don't know, it's been a wild ride. We've re-designed and reworked so much we can't keep track of it all, it's basically the entire game. And again, most players will only see some new scenes and a new episode and think "2 years, seriously?" XD But the hard work we've done it's so things are much more easy for us from now on, and our hope is that this will translate in regular releases. Especially since enough patrons have supported us for enough time so that we can afford these luxuries. Now it's time for us to pay them back with more GAME and less PROGRESS REPORTS. And of course to ourselves! We want the game out there more than anyone! :D
KEEP THE FAITH SO WE CAN RELEASE THE NUT!!

Jarul

Feb 8, 2018
Well, at the end DEVs will release the update or not. Speedup further development or not. People will like the update or not. Everything else is just talk.

Also, again thanks for making this fantastic game :) You have a true talent.

Last edited:

doc69ppb

May 27, 2020

I could not see someone tell this in a better way.
i did not accuse the dev by scamming i just said it feels like since the game was forgotten as the same situation of mifty city but in milfty city they have a shit ton of patrons wich is not the same in this case
Plus in milfty city they didn't update on the progress or anything and acstor is pretty known as i have seen in his comunity as someone who didn't finish his games in a good or didn't at all
But who im i to judge i don't even support neither of the devs i dont a job to be honest but i love this game (i like parody games) and hopefully this game will get better

Newman

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
Hahaha! I had forgotten to write to you guys. Here:

It's just a tester build for patrons. But you can get all the info there. The public one (which will be the 100% available everywhere version) is still to come. We will be getting some bug reports and some feedback from fans for a bit, as well as fixing some small bits of art and code that are not very important, but you know, devil's i the detail. Feedback on combat and progression is another matter, that could take time, so -as ever- no release dates.

Still, some of you guys have been waiting for a long time too, so even if it has taken ages and a lot of effort, we wanted to let you know the damn thing is going to come :)

That's what she said.

BastardX

May 13, 2018
Does this mean there is finally an update and if so link n changelog when possible please n thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: Jarul
2.90 star(s) 25 Votes