Spamwise

Mar 29, 2020
I am a sample size of one, but I can confidently say that lack of voiced content is NOT a major minus to the experience.
I like both the erotic content and the investigation itself, and wish both were a bit more robust.

Midnite Guerrilla

Game Developer
Mar 23, 2018
I am a sample size of one, but I can confidently say that lack of voiced content is NOT a major minus to the experience.
I like both the erotic content and the investigation itself, and wish both were a bit more robust.
How do you mean "more robust"?

We're tearing our hair out with the clock at the moment because we feel it adds a sense of realism and urgency so we don't want to get rid of it, but to be honest (and if you'll excuse my French for a moment) it's a cunt.

Spamwise

Mar 29, 2020
How do you mean "more robust"?

We're tearing our hair out with the clock at the moment because we feel it adds a sense of realism and urgency so we don't want to get rid of it, but to be honest (and if you'll excuse my French for a moment) it's a cunt.
To be blunt, I'd like more leads to investigate, and sometimes a more intuitive interface (just tell me I knocked on all the doors instead of making me go through it) and more ladies to swap sauces with.

The internal clock is kind of a distraction. Voiced dialogue is frequently expensive, and actually a negative for setting atmosphere.

Reactions: botc76

Lucky Guerrilla

Game Developer
Jan 26, 2021
Is there a way to get out of the motel after speaking with Connors without being killed?
Do you have a gun? Do you have bullets? If so, load the bullets in the gun and shoot him. He needs to hit you 5 times, you need to hit him 3 times. It's rigged in your favour.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I'm the artist rather than the project lead but I can answer this.

It's in limbo. We're working out a way to monetarise a game that is a slow burn with a number of teething problems (there's a lot going on under the engine), with limited current erotic content but that is also potentially expandable (i.e. voice acting, extra scenes) for premium subscribers. It's on "hold" but we released the end of chapter 1 for closure and because it was 90% complete when the patreon was suspended. It's why there are a few bugs (night/day clock, hint system) and why there's no updated walkthrough. We're both old school point-and-click adventure fans and we like games to be challenging. This is not a fap fest. If that's what you want, then you are going to be disappointed. Please don't fill this thread with your complaints. We want to hear from people who like the concept of the game, and who would like it to be better. Don't ask us to make it a dating game set in space with hand drawn art.

Afaik the transparency of the dialogue bar is part of the graphic so not easily changed via a slider, so the long answer is "not any time soon". The short answer is "no".

We appreciate your criticism. "Not good" tells us a lot about why you don't like them. So, as a team we will take that on board and weigh it against the reasons why we think they are not "not good". You are correct that the game is not currently voiced. It is, however, only version 0.1.10 which means it is still very early stages. If you do not like that we are not releasing a AAA game with full soundtrack and voice recordings given that we are clearly:
  • working with a huge development team
  • have a massive six figure starting budget
  • get monthly triple figure Patreon payouts
then we are sorry to disappoint you. :rolleyes:
Dude, that chip you are carrying on your shoulder is the size of a tank. Try not to interpret everything as negatively as possible.

Of course, "not good" isn't great criticism, but no need to come out guns blazing.
Luckily for you, I also don't like the dialogue animations, and I can expand a little as to why.
They look completely unnatural, don't match what is being said in any way, in regard to speed, expression or anything.
It's just a loop of an unnaturally moving mouth.
If you want to include something like this, it really has to look good (meaning halfway realistic, as if it fits what is actually being said at least roughly, also stop at some point for a moment, before continuing, like how talking actually works), if not, it is just an unnecessary distraction and on top of it, as it is now, it just looks silly and distracting.
I don't think Hornyowl expected your game to be voiced, rather his point probably was that since it isn't voiced, there's absolutely NO need to include dialogue animation.

I certainly won't try to tell you how to create your game, but if we as players don't point out what doesn't work for us, how are you gonna improve those aspects?
Considering this, it might not be the best way to approach criticism as a personal insult and react aggressively.
I think both creators and fans/players can get something good out of interacting here, but for that BOTH sides have to stick to certain standards, and for creators that means not to fly off the handle if you don't like the criticism and don't take it as personal attacks (because it isn't, we are criticizing the game as a product, a piece of entertainment media, not you or your co-creators as people).
For us, it means, if we want to have a meaningful exchange, we shouldn't be abusive or insulting (though you get what you give to some extent, most definitely) and try to be as clear and concise in our constructive criticism as possible.

Overall, I like your game, the style of dialogue, the renders per se, I'm a sucker for both Cyberpunk and Noir detective stories, so in regard to this, it is right up my alley.

It is a little difficult to get anywhere, though, because the gameplay certainly isn't as intuitive as you might think.
Personally, I would prefer if there was a walkthrough or a hint system, so that I don't need to spend so much time on trial and error, but ultimately that is for you to decide (unless somebody else creates a walkthrough).

I hope you can sort out your problems and wish you luck and success with your project. It was fun.

Reactions: e-disfunction

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
FYI, Lucky Slap and/or Midnite Guerrilla, when I am investigating in Cadiz Avenue at night (right after getting the USB stick from Mrs. Kowalcyzk), I navigate to the Crust in Time bakery. If I try to enter, I'm told it's closed; when I then click to exit the dialog, I'm jumped back to the sex shop.

Lucky Guerrilla

Game Developer
Jan 26, 2021
FYI, Lucky Slap and/or Midnite Guerrilla, when I am investigating in Cadiz Avenue at night (right after getting the USB stick from Mrs. Kowalcyzk), I navigate to the Crust in Time bakery. If I try to enter, I'm told it's closed; when I then click to exit the dialog, I'm jumped back to the sex shop.
There's a line missing from the code. Instead of telling the game to jump to a specific label (in this case the one that represents the front of the shop), it just goes to the next code block which happens to by the label for the sex shop. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't going to break the game, but thanks for pointing it out. Little bugs like that are easy to miss. It'll be fixed for chapter 2.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Hornyowl

Jun 4, 2020
Afaik the transparency of the dialogue bar is part of the graphic so not easily changed via a slider, so the long answer is "not any time soon". The short answer is "no".
There are Ren'Py games on F95 where the devs have included the ability to adjust the transparency of the dialogue bar, with a slider. Contact them and see if they will help you.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
There are Ren'Py games on F95 where the devs have included the ability to adjust the transparency of the dialogue bar, with a slider. Contact them and see if they will help you.
I don't know where it is on F95 because I never use it, but I know there's a mod that works universally (or at least, mostly universally) for Ren'Py games that includes the ability to change transparency of the dialogue box.

Lucky Guerrilla

Game Developer
Jan 26, 2021
Game dead ? No update.
Work has shifted to a reboot of "The Wish". This allows coding and graphics to be done while a coherent storyline is plotted for "Beneath a Neon Sun".

We have literally 0 subscribers/patrons/whatever which means we're doing what we want to do for free. This game is on hold. I believe, from other threads, that the common consensus is that if you don't pay for it, you don't get to bitch. Ain't none of you paying for a damn thing so you can wind your necks in and damn well wait ;)

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes