3.10 star(s) 91 Votes

BigRedRadio

Oct 8, 2022
Never really the price of progress, just a price of the development not bothering to implement proper saved data upgrade and instead happily breaking things.
Oh hush, next you'll be telling us it's not a feature it's a bug and then nothing will ever get released :)

intrigan

Jun 2, 2020
I have a question about the game Can the new version use old save files?
The game is different from the start. First of all there are two paths left. First one - fake friendship for some time, second one - is war. There are no cheats in this game. It's hard to play this one, but it works. Less grind, more action, new characters, new ways of interacting in addition to the old ones. . So, ... you have to play from the scratch.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Yes, there will be some changes, but we don't know up to what extend.
I haven't looked at his code, but being a modder myself and having worked on my own game, I suspect a lot of it has to do with how much thought he put into setting up his code to allow tweaks to game mechanics without having to go back and modify a ton of different events.

As an example, lets say your progression is based on relationshp and every event has some kind of relationship check in it to determine progression. 6 months later you decide you want to change things and add corruption as an additional determining factor. Now you have to go back and literally change every single event in the game. That would be a nightmare. If you had instead made some kind of generic function you could call for any girl that determines progression with her for a scene, then any time you wanted to tweak the mechanics for it you only have 1 function to update. Easy Peasy. Update that one function to add corruption and you're done.

A lot of devs don't think about things like that before it's too late though.

Draakaap23

Dying is always an option
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
I haven't looked at his code, but being a modder myself and having worked on my own game, I suspect a lot of it has to do with how much thought he put into setting up his code to allow tweaks to game mechanics without having to go back and modify a ton of different events.

As an example, lets say your progression is based on relationshp and every event has some kind of relationship check in it to determine progression. 6 months later you decide you want to change things and add corruption as an additional determining factor. Now you have to go back and literally change every single event in the game. That would be a nightmare. If you had instead made some kind of generic function you could call for any girl that determines progression with her for a scene, then any time you wanted to tweak the mechanics for it you only have 1 function to update. Easy Peasy. Update that one function to add corruption and you're done.

And then suddenly: saves break, or even projects get aborted because suddenly too much work to be done.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
And then suddenly: saves break, or even projects get aborted because suddenly too much work to be done.
Honestly, broken saves has only ever bothered me if the game is a grindfest. If the game is actually enjoyable I would rather just start a new game with each new version anyway. Most of the time there's not really any reason that a new update would break saves anyway. I think the most common reason would be if you go back and change something from a previous version so that people's current saves have their character in a status that is now impossible in the new version.

For instance let's say the dev decided the previous version made it too easy to fuck your mom or your sister. The new version makes it harder by inserting additional requirements/events to get to that point. But now you have a save where you've already fucked them without having completed some of the requirements needed to do it in the new version. So certain checks in the game will either return errors or your status will just generally be messed up. Another common one would be something like adding an additional variable for something that gets tracked as the game progresses. Except now you have a game where you already progressed without tracking that. Depending on your code, that variable might not ever even get defined unless you start a new game.

I would rather have the dev decide ok this new version requires a new save because keeping saves compatible would require adding a bunch of complexity to the code that does absolutely nothing for someone starting a new game. You don't want to double the amount of code just to preserve save game compatibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenymph

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
I'm confused, all the names are changed from the original BB?

No Lucy, no Jenn, and Lisa is now Alice and In game lisa is some other model lol, very confusing!

groq

Aug 12, 2017
I'm confused, all the names are changed from the original BB?

No Lucy, no Jenn, and Lisa is now Alice and In game lisa is some other model lol, very confusing!
No, not at all!
Btw, who are Lucy and Jenn? No such names in original BigBrother.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
No, not at all!
Btw, who are Lucy and Jenn? No such names in original BigBrother.

I made the mistake of thinking BadBobby and BigBrother were the same thing. (Cause lets face it, half the models are the same, and the storyline is extremely similar)

Unrelated - is this games current version radically different from walkthrough? Nothing seems to matchup so far, like I'm in the week after having met eric, and there's no bank or research bank option on computer...

Shiva0067

Sep 3, 2017
the bank option opens just in time for you to buy whatever you need to finish the opportunity. There will be a warning that day. just take the loan, buy the outfit(s), and move on.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: wwwsw

groq

Aug 12, 2017

I made the mistake of thinking BadBobby and BigBrother were the same thing. (Cause lets face it, half the models are the same, and the storyline is extremely similar)

Unrelated - is this games current version radically different from walkthrough? Nothing seems to matchup so far, like I'm in the week after having met eric, and there's no bank or research bank option on computer...
I can't be very helpful as I lost interest in playing this "Another Story" long time ago.
You should wait for the next version as it is a rework ongoing and (possibly) would be a different game (mechanics definitely, maybe the plot too). Saves won't be compatible for sure (dev announcement).

BTW it's the 3rd rework of the code...

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny
Feb 1, 2020

There is only one model from bad bobby in big brother, what the hell

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018

I'm also a developer, I hate script languages however. I prefer to precompile. In his sript I messed around a bit with the bonus cookies, nothing big. He already has a lot of functions in his code. The weak spots I noticed were about stuff like clothing options, that's more complex here than in other games. But they seem to work. No, I don't think he'll just do a code improvement, it's very likely that the story or progress will be updated as well.
But we just don't know :)

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm also a developer, I hate script languages however. I prefer to precompile. In his sript I messed around a bit with the bonus cookies, nothing big. He already has a lot of functions in his code. The weak spots I noticed were about stuff like clothing options, that's more complex here than in other games. But they seem to work. No, I don't think he'll just do a code improvement, it's very likely that the story or progress will be updated as well.
But we just don't know :)
Yeah I can imagine. The mod I did for Babysitter dealt with multiple clothing options for the same scene and it was a huge pain the ass. It was also by far my most common source of bugs. Mostly broken links to alternate clothing options where I happened to test the OTHER option when I play tested and missed the one that was broken.

I only bothered messing with it because the base game did a lot of that stuff. After all the frustration I went through with that I consider it a lot of wasted effort for hardly any gain. IMO, it's fine to have multiple outfits for characters, but there's really no benefit for having multiple outfits for the exact same scene. By all means give them a different outfit for each scene if you want to. Just don't give them 3 different outfits for the exact same scene. That adds nothing.

Unless you're talking someone with some kind of clothing fetish, most people don't care what the character is wearing. In a game, most girls should be wearing something that is flattering but other than that it doesn't really matter what that is. Once significant progress is made with her, what most people care about is what happens when that dress hits the floor.

ymisoinsane

Jul 31, 2021
Yeah I can imagine. The mod I did for Babysitter dealt with multiple clothing options for the same scene and it was a huge pain the ass. It was also by far my most common source of bugs. Mostly broken links to alternate clothing options where I happened to test the OTHER option when I play tested and missed the one that was broken.

I only bothered messing with it because the base game did a lot of that stuff. After all the frustration I went through with that I consider it a lot of wasted effort for hardly any gain. IMO, it's fine to have multiple outfits for characters, but there's really no benefit for having multiple outfits for the exact same scene. By all means give them a different outfit for each scene if you want to. Just don't give them 3 different outfits for the exact same scene. That adds nothing.

Unless you're talking someone with some kind of clothing fetish, most people don't care what the character is wearing. In a game, most girls should be wearing something that is flattering but other than that it doesn't really matter what that is. Once significant progress is made with her, what most people care about is what happens when that dress hits the floor.
for me at least its not a clothing fetish, more of a progression of how comfortable the characters are with the MC. I find clothing progressions a great feature in any game. It helps justify the work put into the game.

3.10 star(s) 91 Votes