3.10 star(s) 91 Votes

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
for me at least its not a clothing fetish, more of a progression of how comfortable the characters are with the MC. I find clothing progressions a great feature in any game. It helps justify the work put into the game.
Ok I suppose it adds more than nothing, but here's the problem. Multiple clothing options for a scene basically doubles the render time for the exact same scene. It didn't progress any farther with or without the extra clothing options. The characters aren't doing anything different depending on the clothing. The only difference is the dev had to spend twice as much time rendering the scene. It also increased the amount of coding and testing required for the scene. Probably not double, but at least an extra 30% or so.

For double the render time and 30% extra coding time, I would rather just have an extra 30-50% more content with only 1 outfit per scene. That was really the point I was trying to make. I want the girl to be doing something different in each outfit. Just wearing a different outfit isn't enough to justify the render time if that's the only difference.

For me, to get that feeling of progression I want her to progress to more revealing outfits but I also want her to be naughtier in those more revealing outfits. As an example of what I mean on the coding front, if you don't have to specifically define multiple outfits for the same scene you don't even have to define the images for the scene in renpy. That means zero broken image links without even having to test anything.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Unless you're talking someone with some kind of clothing fetish, most people don't care what the character is wearing. In a game, most girls should be wearing something that is flattering but other than that it doesn't really matter what that is. Once significant progress is made with her, what most people care about is what happens when that dress hits the floor.
Well, I like the different options when opening a door, it makes the game environment feel a bit more alive.
And when the game progresses, the chars start loosing clothing.

Of course I like the sex scenes in these games, but seeing two people do the naked bretzel is easy, there are thousands of sites for that. Also there are more than enough adult games for quickies. If I just want to see quick sex scenes, I play Glamour.
Games like this one I play for the kinky stories and to see some good renders, I really can appreciate a good pinup. And if that pinup comes in some variation, I very welcome that.

Multiple clothing options for a scene basically doubles the render time for the exact same scene. It didn't progress any farther with or without the extra clothing options. The characters aren't doing anything different depending on the clothing. The only difference is the dev had to spend twice as much time rendering the scene. It also increased the amount of coding and testing required for the scene.
The same he does for clothing he also does for posing. Several repeatables show the same action with different poses AND different clothing for these poses.

We are easily talking about tripling the effort.

Btw, he stores only the differences in his images, has one basic naked image and then parts of it get replaced with the clothing items. I don't know if his rendering software supports that, but he could also only re-render that part of the image and ignore the rest.

Also his code is not just straight forward show one image after another. When performing some key actions, repeatable scenes change as well. The farther you progress with Alice, the more options will unlock on the couch or with the spiders, the events influence each other.

A lot of effort for the same amount of story? Yes, indeed.
But that is what makes this game great. That's what I love about it. Alexey puts a lot of effort into making it feel more alive.
He's like a cook who puts some effort into making his food taste better. Time well spent, I'd say.

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Well, I like the different options when opening a door, it makes the game environment feel a bit more alive.
And when the game progresses, the chars start loosing clothing.

Of course I like the sex scenes in these games, but seeing two people do the naked bretzel is easy, there are thousands of sites for that. Also there are more than enough adult games for quickies. If I just want to see quick sex scenes, I play Glamour.
Games like this one I play for the kinky stories and to see some good renders, I really can appreciate a good pinup. And if that pinup comes in some variation, I very welcome that.

The same he does for clothing he also does for posing. Several repeatables show the same action with different poses AND different clothing for these poses.

We are easily talking about tripling the effort.

Btw, he stores only the differences in his images, has one basic naked image and then parts of it get replaced with the clothing items. I don't know if his rendering software supports that, but he could also only re-render that part of the image and ignore the rest.

Also his code is not just straight forward show one image after another. When performing some key actions, repeatable scenes change as well. The farther you progress with Alice, the more options will unlock on the couch or with the spiders, the events influence each other.

A lot of effort for the same amount of story? Yes, indeed.
But that is what makes this game great. That's what I love about it. Alexey puts a lot of effort into making it feel more alive.
He's like a cook who puts some effort into making his food taste better. Time well spent, I'd say.
I agree that he does quality work. I'm just questioning whether the amount of effort put into multiple clothing options pays off if the girl is not doing anything different when wearing those different outfits. Maybe that's something a lot of people are into and I'm in the minority. If that's the case, no problem. I do still like the game. For that matter, maybe HE has some kind of clothing fetish and if that's the case then he should definitely keep doing whatever he personally finds enjoyable. IMO that's critical to your game being successful. If you personally aren't into the game you're developing then it's pretty much guaranteed not to be much good.

I'm just saying lets say it takes him 10 hours to do the renders, writing, and coding for 1 scene with 2 outfits. So 30 hours gets us 3 scenes. Lets say that same scene only would have taken 7 hours with 1 outfit. That means if he had only done 1 clothing option for each scene we'd get 4 scenes out of him in 30 hours instead of only 3. We'd be getting more content with the same amount of development time. We'd probably even get the same outfits, just not multiples in 1 scene. She's wearing that outfit in a different room doing something else instead. We get a different interaction with her in that other room on top of also seeing her in a different outfit.

I see a ton of people complaining about his slow development cycle on this forum, and the multiple outfits are a significant contributing factor to that IMO. It takes extra render time to render those outfits even if you render them separately. It also takes a lot more work in the code to keep swapping outfits for the same scene than it does to only use 1. When I was doing that for my mod I used condition switches so that my code for the actual events was identical to what it would have been with only 1 outfit, but it still required me to define every individual image as well as include logic to tell the game when to use each outfit. With only 1 outfit none of that logic is needed and I wouldn't have even needed to define the images. That's hundreds of lines of code that would have been completely unnecessary for the exact same scenes if I was only using 1 outfit.

Last edited:

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
I've seen a lot of complaining about the development speed in about every game's forum, even for the games that have a rather fast update rhythm. People complain, that's what they do.

You don't need a clothing fetish to add clothing options. He obviously thinks this is good for his game, since he included this from the start, so he should do it. As you said, doing something he doesn't like won't do any good.
He doesn't need us wise guys to tell him how to get more proress in a short amount of time, I am sure he is aware of how to do it. Who thinks he knows how to do it better can always try to create his own game.

Also the clothing is part of the gameplay. In certain situations, Alice has to be topless or nude for something to happen. For one couch event she must not wear panties, another event she will abort if she doesn't. Lisa will be topless at the TV if Max behaves, will keep her top on when Max was not friendly during the week. Certain actions require Max to wear a shirt, others require him to not wear it.
And it's not just about clothing. Many repeatable scenes also have different poses. Alone the already named "open Lisa's door" scene has several different poses, her and Olivia sunbathing also shows different combinations of poses, chosen randomly.

Yes, we'd get faster progression, but if that costs us the feeling this game gives, then I'll give that a pass. Here I get work with a lot of love for detail, that's somthing harder to find. I am very interested in seeing where the journey goes.

There's enough uninspired shovelware VNs out there already ... and Glamour.

Reactions: firevoodoo

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Hah, yeah I was shocked at how bad Glamour is after trying it again recently. DS is going backwards in quality IMO. The original BB is far superior to Glamour, and Aleksy's version of BB is superior to the original if you're comparing BB at a similar stage of progression. In Glamour, all of Max's family are basically just mindless fucktoys. Basically no story and no justification. Max might as well have Mind Control powers.

Last edited:

Jeno

Donor
Aug 27, 2017
Hey fella's, I saw in the Walkthrough that there is no way to switch the Eric path. I started as friendship path with the intent to kick him out later. Is that still possible or not? Kinda reluctant to play much more on this save if I am stuck with Eric forever.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Hey fella's, I saw in the Walkthrough that there is no way to switch the Eric path. I started as friendship path with the intent to kick him out later. Is that still possible or not? Kinda reluctant to play much more on this save if I am stuck with Eric forever.
The answer is yes and no.
Yes, it would have been possible if the development was continued on this game version. At some point it would have been Eric or Max, since Eric would try to backstab Max even on friendship path.
No, since it's not yet implemented and you will have to start a new game when the next version comes out (see posts above). What happens in that one ... who knows? Someone said that one of the two Eric paths will be removed from the game, but so far it's all just rumors.

Jeno

Donor
Aug 27, 2017
The answer is yes and no.
Yes, it would have been possible if the development was continued on this game version. At some point it would have been Eric or Max, since Eric would try to backstab Max even on friendship path.
No, since it's not yet implemented and you will have to start a new game when the next version comes out (see posts above). What happens in that one ... who knows? Someone said that one of the two Eric paths will be removed from the game, but so far it's all just rumors.
Crap that's unfortunate... Not even by cheating you reckon? In the original game there was a cheat to just trigger Eric leaving...

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Crap that's unfortunate... Not even by cheating you reckon? In the original game there was a cheat to just trigger Eric leaving...
Of course there is. The whole game is controlled by a set of variables, including the path you have chosen. Switching path is possible by changing the variables. But a) I don't know which ones you need to change and b) this will most likely cause bugs and corrupt your savegame. You are better off by just restarting.
On a personal note: You are a very bad friend to Eric :)

Last edited:

dwalsh

Jul 1, 2019
I don’t know code but thinking from a gameplay pov that would insistently break your game because he’s already gone on the war path. You’ll find crashes (I’m guessing) where the game says Eric is suppose to be there but he’s not. Purely guessing here.

Reactions: Nemo56

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Back then it also bugged the original game. Story arcs where Eric was supposed to be part of would not continue.
Luckily most of the game pretty much ignores Eric and "most" story arcs would play without problems.

But in BIBOAS the different opportunities often depend on each other so I could not really predict which parts this would affect.

Last edited:

rapiidz1

Nov 10, 2020
Sorry but is there a walkthrough for unlocking all of the clothing in the main menu for the game extra?

I remember seeing someone posted a walkthrough while back but I cannot seem to find it atm.

Jeno

Donor
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys, guess I will start a new save when this is updated next :)

3.10 star(s) 91 Votes