Blender Cycle vs Daz iRay

jezzoo

May 12, 2020
Hey no__name, those are some of the best iray renders I've seen around here. You wouldn't happen to have a whole gallery of those somewhere, would you? (or games with your renders, or whatever) Ideally I'd love some instructional material as to how you achieved all of that.

As for the actual discussion, eh, good points all around I guess :).

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hey no__name, those are some of the best iray renders I've seen around here. You wouldn't happen to have a whole gallery of those somewhere, would you? (or games with your renders, or whatever) Ideally I'd love some instructional material as to how you achieved all of that.

As for the actual discussion, eh, good points all around I guess :).
For iray this is a good start, at least to get the grasp of it :

But there is no magical method, Iray, Cycle, Vray, whatever your skins comes from Daz or Texturing.xyz.
You need practice :

DJEf6pQUEAAMhrA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jezzoo
Sep 12, 2019
For iray this is a good start, at least to get the grasp of it :

But there is no magical method, Iray, Cycle, Vray, whatever your skins comes from Daz or Texture.xyz.
You need practice :

View attachment 668385
Practice and a reference. After dozens or hundreds of attempts at matching shots, you’ll start to be able to work without a reference. But until then, if you don’t work from a reference, you won’t be able to see what’s making your renders unrealistic.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Threadripper huh? I know I want to upgrade to that, if not for better, faster physics simulations since I like to make custom clothes. But I'm waiting to save up and see what ryzen 4 is able to deliver when it comes out.

Sep 12, 2019
Threadripper huh? I know I want to upgrade to that, if not for better, faster physics simulations since I like to make custom clothes. But I'm waiting to save up and see what ryzen 4 is able to deliver when it comes out.
Yep. I like what AMD is doing and I’m happy to support them. I had a 1920X and so the upgrade doesn’t involve swapping motherboard, too. The 2990wx is a pretty decent value now that 3rd gen is out, imho.

Reactions: recreation

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
But can cycles do proper caustic? Because iray can.
Yes, but you have to turn on branch path mode to get better results, which is a lot slower but higher quality, but buying a glass shader I think does a better job.

R3x0n

Apr 22, 2017
It's kinda funny, that most of the Blender vs. Daz Studio conversations end up into bashing each other, than understanding and accepting both softwares are usefull and capable to do great renders.

pezo
I guess your original question was how to make Daz Studio faster with rendering, right?
I've heard there are also other render engines compatible with Daz and probably you don't need an Nvidia GPU to render with it.
For OctaneRender i've found some topics, but no real intel or even plugins for Daz Studio, even if they were you had to pay for octane, as far that i know.
AMD ProRender seem's to be a good canidate but no integration into DAZ Studio yet, or none i've heard of.
So if you like to use Daz Studio and render faster that your cpu is capable, you have to buy yourself a Nvidia GPU...

no__name
You've posted some nice iray renders indeed, but did you ever really searched for blender renders with photorealism?
Probably here your need for quality will be satisfied:

8074d9526945dbe0c79bbf17f7cb26df8423dfc2.jpeg

PS:
I've love to see more Blender involvement here (F95zone) and probably some help topic like how to start, skin material, lights and so on...
Or we could share some models and other assets, that would be something very uniq for blender used for erotic art.
:unsure::giggle:

Last edited:

Vexon731

Jul 9, 2018
It's kinda funny, that most of the Blender vs. Daz Studio conversations end up into bashing each other, than understanding and accepting both softwares are usefull and capable to do great renders.

pezo
I guess your original question was how to make Daz Studio faster with rendering, right?
I've heard there are also other render engines compatible with Daz and probably you don't need an Nvidia GPU to render with it.
For OctaneRender i've found some topics, but no real intel or even plugins for Daz Studio, even if they were you had to pay for octane, as far that i know.
AMD ProRender seem's to be a good canidate but no integration into DAZ Studio yet, or none i've heard of.
So if you like to use Daz Studio and render faster that your cpu is capable, you have to buy yourself a Nvidia GPU...

no__name
You've posted some nice iray renders indeed, but did you ever really searched for blender renders with photorealism?

View attachment 684538

PS:
I've love to see more Blender involvement here (F95zone) and probably some help topic like how to start, skin material, lights and so on...
Or we could share some models and other assets, that would be something very uniq for blender used for erotic art.
He don't even need an nvidia GPU, just export the Daz models to blender and he can render whatever engine he wants. But Iray still very fast if you have a decent gpu. CPU rendering is not worth use.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I dont think that will be physically accurate...
branch path is currently the most physically accurate system available, on the edge of video graphics research. Well almost, there is this one system that can simulate the speed of light being slow to see how this effects light, which is pretty neat.

pezo

no__name

View attachment 684538

PS:
In this old broken ass post https://f95zone.to/threads/blender-vs-daz3d-whats-best-for-you.25357/
I talk about how the two programs can complement each other.
Where Daz is like a powertool, it does its job really well, but it is only good for what it was made for (ignoring the flexibility many plugins provide).
blender is a box of hand tools, Given time and care you can possibly mimic what Daz was able to do (the main issue being the super amazing daz topology of G8), but it can do a wider range of things, and you can better refine your work.
I, for example, prefer to move daz content over to blender to work on, to better fit clothes or sculpt, animate, modify textures/shaders (usually procedurally), or simply to optimize the render for speed or to render on a render farm (which I don't actually have...), but mostly because I am just more comfortable with blender.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

no__name
Oh I did, you will find amazing CG artists for mostly any rendering engine.
It's more a taunt about the insufferable elitism from some blender users here, don't read too much into it.

I don't even really use iray anymore (which I find quite decent at what it does), and mostly toolbag3 cover all my small needs. But I like to come back and see the new good skins time to time (the one from bluejaunte, mousso, iSourceTextures & the likes) and mess with them.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
insufferable elitism from some blender users here
There is this one game I like, Star Citizen, it is often said that player are extreme fan boys because this is a project that has been going on for years and may take a decade to finish. They say that these players would defend this game to their dying breath. But when you go to talk to these people the whole heartily point out its countless shortcoming as a broken incomplete alpha game.

While I haven't seen too many raving blender users, or daz vs blender fights, I feel like those who blindly defend blender do so because they also don't use other programs and can't see the pros and cons of different tools.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
While I haven't seen too many raving blender users, or daz vs blender fights, I feel like those who blindly defend blender do so because they also don't use other programs and can't see the pros and cons of different tools.
Maybe, maybe not.
To be honest I don't really care. Just a sad state of affairs.
Just pull your renders.

My very first attemtp at realistic skin with iray, maybe 1 year ago or something (yes it s not very great lol) :

547810_crackers_mini_pizza.png

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Cul

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
oh sorry, thanks :D

just finished my last final.
I've already shared my blender images with no__name, but I don't really have a dedicated portfolio to show my work off yet. My first work was maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and it was just a clay blob. like everything else, it was just a neat test to slowly build up the skill set.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've never used Blender but if I'm not mistaken, one of the big advantages it has over Daz is that you're not locked into only NVDIA GPUs if you want to use it. So if you're experienced with Blender and can do something equivalent to what you could do with Daz then you can potentially get a better value for your GPU some of the time. If you only use Daz then even if we're in one of those cycles where Nvidia decides to really ramp up their price gouging to ridiculous levels, you have no choice but to buy their card anyway.

On the bright side, everything I've heard about the next gen cards from both AMD and Nvidia sound like whatever team you're on you're gonna be happy. Coreteks put out a great video a few days ago analyzing and speculating on all the leaks on Ampere for those looking forward to the new Nvidia cards. Pretty exciting stuff depending on how much of it he got right.

He's got one planned about RDNA2 as well but hasn't released it yet as far as I know. I'm glad I decided to wait for the 30 series before my next upgrade.

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
I've never used Blender but if I'm not mistaken, one of the big advantages it has over Daz is that you're not locked into only NVDIA GPUs if you want to use it. So if you're experienced with Blender and can do something equivalent to what you could do with Daz then you can potentially get a better value for your GPU some of the time. If you only use Daz then even if we're in one of those cycles where Nvidia decides to really ramp up their price gouging to ridiculous levels, you have no choice but to buy their card anyway.
No, not really. Blender is wastly superior compared to Daz. It not just support much faster render engines, but also allows the ability to create much better animations.

On the bright side, everything I've heard about the next gen cards from both AMD and Nvidia sound like whatever team you're on you're gonna be happy. Coreteks put out a great video a few days ago analyzing and speculating on all the leaks on Ampere for those looking forward to the new Nvidia cards. Pretty exciting stuff depending on how much of it he got right.

He's got one planned about RDNA2 as well but hasn't released it yet as far as I know. I'm glad I decided to wait for the 30 series before my next upgrade.
Anybody who wrote a ray tracing engine knows that this video is pure bullshit. You won't gain speed with a traversal co-processor, because sending a lot of data on a low speed bus will just slow down the whole process. A good render requires a lot of secondary rays from the primary one, and that will need a lot of round trips if the traversal engine is an independent chip. Basically 90 percent of the rendering will be just sending the data over a bus between two chips, without any real work. This is just slow.

A new hardware won't solve the problems with Iray. These are purely software-based issues, and NVIDIA doesn't care that Iray is super slow compared to a more modern engine (Cycles or ProRender), because they need to rewrite it to get it fast. They just implemented OptiX Prime in Iray, but nothing else. I don't know if there is a plan to speed the engine up, and if it is, it would take years.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
They just implemented OptiX Prime in Iray, but nothing else. I don't know if there is a plan to speed the engine up, and if it is, it would take years.
lol

edit: iray is slow ass but is has nothing to do with the mayonaise. And for skin, render wise Iray> cycles imo, let's compare our results !

Last edited: