VN Ren'Py Bound by Night [v0.15a] [BoundByNight]

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Hi all. Developer of the title and found out someone was decent enough to list it here. Thanks for taking a look and the feedback so far. (Honestly I didn't even know the title had been posted here until one of my patrons told me that's how he found it. So, seriously, thank you.)

The last couple of weeks I've been working both on new content as well as re-doing some of the shots from the demo (I think I caught the clipping hand item, too, but I'll take another look to be sure). The entirely new content will be limited to patrons for one month, but because there are a number of redone shots for chapter 1 as well, I'm going to update the demo on Itch.io with the replacement shots as well.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Cheers.

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
Hi all. Developer of the title and found out someone was decent enough to list it here.
Hello there!

As the dev you can - if you wish - get ownership of this thread. Also you can get a "developer" badge under your name. For both you need to open a ticket (upper menu, "tickets"), contact the staff and tell them what you want.

Apart from that: Welcome!

:)

Reactions: BoundByNight

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Premise looks good, renders look good, characters look good, it has audio. The only thing I saw bad was the first animation, a hand was dissappearing.

I'll keep an eye on this game.
Thanks for flagging the disappearing hand. I did -not- catch that one until you mentioned it, so it will be fixed in the next release.

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Pretty good intro and the themes are right up my alley, but all this emphasis on "Based on Patreon support we might add...yada yada" has me worried. I'm tired of Patreon projects that seem awesome at the beginning but then fizzle out over time. Maybe 99% of these types of projects end up being abandoned.
Hey there, thanks for the feedback and I completely understand any trepidation or concern about the project being abandoned at some point! We've all seen it and, to be frank, life happens. I'll also be honest: I'm doing this for fun, not for profit, so as long as other people are enjoying it and I'm having fun putting it together, it'll keep going. That may not allay your fears, but I just want to say I understand and be honest.

I may have put too much of an emphasis on "based on Patron support" or didn't convey the thought particularly well. The idea of adding custom 3D assets and voice-overs is really a reach and goes to my point about not doing this for profit. I -do- think audio adds a lot to a game like this, but more for atmospherics -- music and sound effects. I don't think voice acting is necessary. But if the Patron support somehow wildly takes off, the fact is I don't personally need the money, so I'm happy to invest it back into the game. Same with 3d assets/models. None of the existing werewolf models really hit exactly what I have in mind (they're great but nothing is 100% exactly what I want), but I have zero skill at creating my own. So, would it be great to have a custom model? Sure, but I don't think it's actually necessary to create the game. It would just be a nice thing to have if folks are interested enough in the game to support it. Hope that makes sense!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to try to answer them.

Last edited:

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Hi all. General update here (not sure I yet have permissions to update the original post).

Version 0.1b of the "demo" containing the Prologue and Chapter 1 has been uploaded to and is also available via update links in my original Demo post on . The updated content consists of entirely new shots for the prologue, new shots for the Chapter 1 cliffhanger, corrected shots for some clipping issues identified in Chapter 1's explicit scene, and other updates to the dialogue and code.

Version 0.2a has also been released to patrons, containing Chapters 2 and 3, more explicit content, and more than twice as many images as were in the demo.

I hope you enjoy (in private)! ;)

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
Hi all. General update here (not sure I yet have permissions to update the original post).
I think for that you'd have to be the thread owner, which you can ask for.
Easy way to get a mod's attention for an update is a report of the OP, choose "game update", paste the link(s). :)

Reactions: BoundByNight

b.e_johnson

Jun 4, 2018
Hi all. Developer of the title and found out someone was decent enough to list it here. Thanks for taking a look and the feedback so far. (Honestly I didn't even know the title had been posted here until one of my patrons told me that's how he found it. So, seriously, thank you.)

The last couple of weeks I've been working both on new content as well as re-doing some of the shots from the demo (I think I caught the clipping hand item, too, but I'll take another look to be sure). The entirely new content will be limited to patrons for one month, but because there are a number of redone shots for chapter 1 as well, I'm going to update the demo on Itch.io with the replacement shots as well.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Cheers.
DAMN! I love the game so much, this is what I want. Really hope that you will keep going with this. Fighting!

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
:love: Woo hoo! Thanks! I’m having fun doing it and even more fun knowing folks are enjoying it. :devilish:

Earlier this week I picked up a utility that will let me batch render, which means I can setup a bunch of scenes, the have them render while I’m asleep. Even with a 3080 and a decent CPU, each image takes roughly 20~30 minutes to render, so that utility makes this sustainable. I mention that just to say I’ve found a way to do this with the lighting and shadows that I want in a way integrates well with my schedule.

So, as long as folks enjoy it, I’ll keep working on it.

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Hi all. Thought I'd offer a quick update on where things are.

First, build 0.2 (with chapters 2 and 3) will be public on March 21 via Itch and various download sites. I'm very much looking forward to getting this released publicly so you can see the progress that's being made. I'll try to have an update here when that happens but I'll also be traveling that day and the next week with limited connectivity, so... fingers crossed.

Second, progress on build 0.3 (with chapters 4 through 6) is going well. I'm working on staging and rendering the last scenes from chapter 6. After fixing anything that doesn't look right and touch-ups in post, then comes adding sound and QA. Depending on how much work needs to be done fixing the renders, my hope is to have this out to patrons in the next week, with a public release one month later.

As always, let me know if you have any questions. I also try to post regular updates on Twitter and Itch, and you can stop by the Discord server (link in my sig) to chat.

Best,
BBN.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Moosica

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Build 0.3 is now out to Patrons. It is big, adding more than 300 new images and doubling the amount of dialogue and code of the previous chapters.

I'll probably be dropping Build 0.2 to the public a couple days early as I'll be offline on the 21st. That will drop on Itch.Io, and I'll post updated links here for Mega and MediaFire.

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
I love that people are loving it! Thank you!

I’m also going back and fixing things as people bring them to my attention, and Chapter 1 is probably going to get a full reshoot at some point now that I’ve learned more about lighting and improved the models’ textures, so hopefully even what you’ve already seen will continue to improve.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Moosica

Nayko93

Feb 3, 2018
I don't know why but I already don't like the hunter
hope he don't take too much place in the story or we can get ride of him soon
I don't mind having him as a side character , but as a protagonist ... nop

BoundByNight

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2021
Assuming you're playing Build 0.2, I can understand that impression. You might feel different in Build 0.3 (maybe?). One person said he initially did not like him, but in the next build saw a different side to him. I will say he won't have as much "screen time" as the MC (Alex). (Maybe I shouldn't say protagonist as "second POV character".)

That said, if you want to PM me more details (or put them here in spoilers) I'd definitely welcome the feedback and insight into why you got that impression. Would help me understand what's working and not and maybe what I might adjust in a future build.

Nayko93

Feb 3, 2018
Assuming you're playing Build 0.2, I can understand that impression. You might feel different in Build 0.3 (maybe?). One person said he initially did not like him, but in the next build saw a different side to him. I will say he won't have as much "screen time" as the MC (Alex). (Maybe I shouldn't say protagonist as "second POV character".)

That said, if you want to PM me more details (or put them here in spoilers) I'd definitely welcome the feedback and insight into why you got that impression. Would help me understand what's working and not and maybe what I might adjust in a future build.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

oh and a little advice , when you answer someone , you should use the reply button ( or quote if you answer to multiple person )
that way the person have the notification ;)

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes