May 25, 2017
*Insert large block of text* !!GO READ IT!!
Honestly this to me is both amazing and sad. I used to white knight for this game hard once upon a time because it was the only game frequently and consistently releasing content at one point (right before the gates were implemented I don't remember when exactly that was). I remember having to abandon this thread for a year or two because I was tired of fighting everyone on everything. Goes to show what I knew.

EDIT: aHA found it. It was mid 2020 right when the gates were being added. The actual sexual content added was starting to dry up and people were non-stop bitching about it.

Last edited:

aspar4gus

Mar 27, 2019
Honestly this to me is both amazing and sad. I used to white knight for this game hard once upon a time because it was the only game frequently and consistently releasing content at one point (right before the gates were implemented I don't remember when exactly that was). I remember having to abandon this thread for a year or two because I was tired of fighting everyone on everything. Goes to show what I knew.
Well hey, at least you've escaped from the sunk cost fallacy valley, that's one hell of a climb to get out from there

Agent_Froggy

Mar 29, 2021
What this game has right now is still pretty great despite its flaws. I can see so much potential, and it is indeed a shame that from the sound of things it will likely never be fully realized. Such does seem to be the fate of most breeding games, and many lewd games in general :confused:
Wish I had the drive required to make a better game.

re: souls games.
I rather enjoy the series, but view it mostly as puzzles that need solving. If you're capable of learning and spend some time familiarizing yourself with the systems, most challenges therein can eventually be overcome. That said, there are definitely mechanics in the games that are complete bs. I view finding a way to cheese bosses and tough challenges as a valid strategy.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
re: souls games.
I rather enjoy the series, but view it mostly as puzzles that need solving. If you're capable of learning and spend some time familiarizing yourself with the systems, most challenges therein can eventually be overcome. That said, there are definitely mechanics in the games that are complete bs. I view finding a way to cheese bosses and tough challenges as a valid strategy.
You've gotta remember, this isn't a soulslike game by someone who likes soulslikes. It's an attempt to make a soulslike feeling in a breeder game by someone who likes soulslikes but doesn't understand game mechanics and seems to actively hate his playerbase.

Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
I don't believe it's grindy as I don't know what is your limit about it. I mean, what is the grindy part and what would you change? Where is the problem?
I mean it's a breeding game and you need to breed to get best breeded neph in your mind. If you want to have it in 10 minutes, there is no point or game at all.
What would you change to make the game less grindy?
And there are cheats as sandbox options, so cheats can get rid of many grindy parts.
I am asking as the old designer, so maybe I do my own game and try different things.

Reactions: HeadsExplode

Agent_Froggy

Mar 29, 2021
I think the grind is somewhat inherent in a breeding game. The grind is the gameplay, otherwise what would we be doing when we play? I guess if it was an action rpg and the challenge was in catching and defeating the girls or something...

You've gotta remember, this isn't a soulslike game by someone who likes soulslikes. It's an attempt to make a soulslike feeling in a breeder game by someone who likes soulslikes but doesn't understand game mechanics and seems to actively hate his playerbase.
My comment is just my opinion on the soulslike genre itself. I do not think that sort of game's mechanics or ideology belong in botn in any form.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
I think the grind is somewhat inherent in a breeding game. The grind is the gameplay, otherwise what would we be doing when we play? I guess if it was an action rpg and the challenge was in catching and defeating the girls or something...

My comment is just my opinion on the soulslike genre itself. I do not think that sort of game's mechanics or ideology belong in botn in any form.
I get that the game has some natural grindyness for its very nature. What I cant condone is the fact that on top of the default grind you start adding the following:

1. A gate system that prevents you to go to area X without using cheats that turns most of the NPCs interactions pretty pointless.

2. Having to unlock basic sex positions to breed nephs in the way you want being those barely 7-8; part of the reason I never liked Pawsmatti besides being myself the one that insisted in triy to translate her quotes to spanish keeping her rhymy talk nature, wasnt easy but I liked its end result, at least up until I left the translations team.

3. That now if you are to unlock those gates you need to find scecific nephs with a very specific profile for the sake of base ingame progression, like a hornball Bee; that quest is to me one of the most annoying ones by far on how damn rare that combination is to find without spending hours either searching or getting pregnant combinations until you get one.

4. The fact that point 1 and 2 and thus 3 were not an issue before the whole Pawsmatti update got released since you had all those things unlocked and quite honestly the only aditions that were delivered in that meantime was the Seraphim exclusive heavenly area and the Lap Dance position, by far not worth it for the amount of limitations the system that added them before introduced.

5. The fact that every, fukin, 5-10 updates, of the game, the save files of old game versions dont work on new game versions, yet the new game version saves do load on old game versions, which is so damn fukin illogical to me and everyday feels more like its deliberately made that way to give the "souls" vibe of annoyance to it. Being the only exception of that rule the change of process from Radiant to OBF, and Ill argue that even that is work-aroundable.

And those among other minor annoyances that are not a big deal on their own but when combined all together + the adition of those big ones makes you feel like the time you spend playing the game ends up being hollow, since you dont know for how long that would last before a new update makes it turn into an unviable option. You can do the Minecraft thing of acumulating game versions for the sake of keeping the files functional, but the only reason I can condone that on that game is cause of the very nature of both the game and the endless amount of mods each version has. And even then Im constantly looking to have the latest version of the game having those mods updated so I can get rid of the previous, cause keeping more than 1 game version for the sake of saves/content comparibility to me is extremely annoying. BotN has all those issues but wihout the modding stuff and honestly.... After a while having to do the process all over again of breeding, race/area unlock and stuff gets way too annoying to do even with cheats.

Cause ironically now even cheats are not being able to skip all the annoyances like having to unlock all positions now you need to do a tourné to find each one and unlock them.

Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
I get that the game has some natural grindyness for its very nature. What I cant condone is the fact that on top of the default grind you start adding the following:

1. A gate system that prevents you to go to area X without using cheats that turns most of the NPCs interactions pretty pointless.

2. Having to unlock basic sex positions to breed nephs in the way you want being those barely 7-8; part of the reason I never liked Pawsmatti besides being myself the one that insisted in triy to translate her quotes to spanish keeping her rhymy talk nature, wasnt easy but I liked its end result, at least up until I left the translations team.

3. That now if you are to unlock those gates you need to find scecific nephs with a very specific profile for the sake of base ingame progression, like a hornball Bee; that quest is to me one of the most annoying ones by far on how damn rare that combination is to find without spending hours either searching or getting pregnant combinations until you get one.

4. The fact that point 1 and 2 and thus 3 were not an issue before the whole Pawsmatti update got released since you had all those things unlocked and quite honestly the only aditions that were delivered in that meantime was the Seraphim exclusive heavenly area and the Lap Dance position, by far not worth it for the amount of limitations the system that added them before introduced.

5. The fact that every, fukin, 5-10 updates, of the game, the save files of old game versions dont work on new game versions, yet the new game version saves do load on old game versions, which is so damn fukin illogical to me and everyday feels more like its deliberately made that way to give the "souls" vibe of annoyance to it. Being the only exception of that rule the change of process from Radiant to OBF, and Ill argue that even that is work-aroundable.

And those among other minor annoyances that are not a big deal on their own but when combined all together + the adition of those big ones makes you feel like the time you spend playing the game ends up being hollow, since you dont know for how long that would last before a new update makes it turn into an unviable option. You can do the Minecraft thing of acumulating game versions for the sake of keeping the files functional, but the only reason I can condone that on that game is cause of the very nature of both the game and the endless amount of mods each version has. And even then Im constantly looking to have the latest version of the game having those mods updated so I can get rid of the previous, cause keeping more than 1 game version for the sake of saves/content comparibility to me is extremely annoying. BotN has all those issues but wihout the modding stuff and honestly.... After a while having to do the process all over again of breeding, race/area unlock and stuff gets way too annoying to do even with cheats.

Cause ironically now even cheats are not being able to skip all the annoyances like having to unlock all positions now you need to do a tourné to find each one and unlock them.
To be honest, even I play this game for breeding part and cheat hell of every quest/gate stuff, I think there should be some quests/progress and as a result you get something at a RPG game with adventure aspects.

Yes, the gates do not work until late game is one of the worst middle finger to player by the developer without any proper reason rather then his bad imagination. But, quests-gates-zones-nephs-positions chain is not bad idea if done right. You need to arrange all the traits very well to make those quests less grindy and you need to have more to give those progress justice, like crafting, collecting.. but we won't have anything under this developer so just cheat all the progress part and get your lovely nephs and breed..

I like breeding seasons design much better with very fast, simple but extra things which adds breeding. Wild Neph concept is lovely but so weak, you really can't add something worth for it..

I advised some attractions you can do at wild, making catching worth it with some elements about losing. We got a "game" but we can't lose.. losing is not bad.. it creates the challenge and you can make it fun too..

Another fun fact, when I told him to make minotaurs more aggresive at wild, he noticed all AI was broken.. for years.. and he fixed it at some level.. this is BotN development for you..

Styl1sh

Feb 15, 2018
Question for anyone still doing these kinds of things- Was trying to get the hex-edits to work (Brand new to them, so it was a little bit of a labor- )
Wanted to -be- a dragon, not just in Spirit form. Did a recent update make hex-edits nonviable? Even something small such as adding a single trait and upping the count broke the save entirely, so was wanting to ask if anyone knows if we can still do that.

Thanks! ♥
- Trem
Totally viable, just tested on the most recent version
1657217065942.png

PS. for quite some time now, every section of the save has a byte sum count; for every change in length of a section, you have to update it, and its parents:
https://f95zone.to/threads/breeders-of-the-nephelym-v0-756-1-derelicthelmsman.2483/post-4875518
https://f95zone.to/threads/breeders-of-the-nephelym-v0-756-1-derelicthelmsman.2483/post-4955736
https://f95zone.to/threads/breeders-of-the-nephelym-v0-756-1-derelicthelmsman.2483/post-5308756

Last edited:
Reactions: Tremellia

Spillthebeans

Jun 21, 2017
I don't believe it's grindy as I don't know what is your limit about it. I mean, what is the grindy part and what would you change? Where is the problem?
I mean it's a breeding game and you need to breed to get best breeded neph in your mind. If you want to have it in 10 minutes, there is no point or game at all.
What would you change to make the game less grindy?
And there are cheats as sandbox options, so cheats can get rid of many grindy parts.
I am asking as the old designer, so maybe I do my own game and try different things.
It's grindy but in a bad way. A game can be grindy and fun but this is just needless busywork with little payoff. Things I would personally like changed are:

-Make the portals available from the start and move the farm portal closer to where you spawn in game.
-Add more animations and make them less repetitive.
-Add more ways to raise a races world level other than mass capturing/breeding/releasing. For example, allow me to leave one of my own nephelym in an area for a day and have them breed random wild nephelym for a passive increase of that races world level at the end of the day (with a cooldown per nephlym so you can't leave one in the same area forever) or allow me to decide not to capture nephelym I have wild sex with for an increase.
-Expand on the stats to make them more valuable other than for breeding, have something like a sex tournament where I can see the fruits of my minmaxing labor. Breeding for the sake of breeding is fun for a short while but then I'm left with nothing to do once I get the kind of color/size combo I was shooting for.
-Make it easier to go to and from the town and farm. As it is it's just needless walking with nothing to do or see in-between, there should be a system like enderal has where you can use signs to teleport to different districts, having just one that allows you to travel from the farm to town would be more than enough. Make it a mid to late game upgrade if you want. Getting randomly jumped by tentacles doesn't make exploring fun it makes me avoid the tentacles and turn them off asap.

In short: Make traveling less boring, make stats matter more than just seeing numbers go up and finally make the sex scenes more interesting by way of less robotic animations and more variety.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
I'd like it if any positions we unlock were unlocked for all wild races as well. Imagine being jumped by a Wild Foxen that decides that Reverse Cowgirl sounds like fun. Bit hilarious to see a Gobbo go to town on a Colossus. Won't deny that.
While the argument may be that it would increase workload... No, it wouldn't. The animations already exist in the Breeding Pen for all races already.
I don't think that all portals should be available on startup but whatsherface the Lamia should pop up at each portal as long as we've been to that area at least once already. Right now, as noted before, travelling is unbearably slow and only exists in this form to pad out game time.
There ought to be an option in the Settings menu to disable tentacles. Could have been a fun idea but as you can't breed tentacle monsters... Nope. Heck, that's something the Abomination trait should have been used for instead of "Oh no, incesty sterility. That makes them an unholy eldritch Cthulhu being." Please.
Breeding Season had a fast travel map system. As this game tried to fill that spot why just flip everybody a huge, flaming "Fuck You" middle finger? The fans don't feel valued. Suggestions are flung at him for QOL changes and he just wipes his arse with them.
Lastly, Breeder Traits. These, I feel, should have been in the game a long time ago. Heck, give us the ability to guzzle neph juices and grant a 1-day buff as a result or something. When Amber and Camilla run out of space, what's the point in holding onto the remainder?
Lastly II: The BGM is just shite. He could have picked less repetitive "magical garden" style ones. There's bloody good royalty free ones out there.

Reactions: Jimmy Two Times

keeshah

Aug 16, 2020
Show me the report.
Ran the file myself through VT. Only one AV flagged it and for once is wasn't Jiangmin.
The Warning was here on the site.

BOTNTools_0.9.1.zip [11.4MB]
Uploaded by: saycko at: 2022-06-26T22:55:36+0000 (2 weeks ago)
WARNING!
This file has been analysed by VirusTotal and has triggered 1 detection(s), to find out more. Whilst it is possible that this is a false positive, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are not 100% certain that the file is trustworthy and safe, DO NOT CONTINUE. Downloading unsafe files can lead to data loss, data/identity theft, and other severe consequences.

Should you wish to continue despite the detection, please acknowledge you understand and accept the very real risks involved, and complete the CAPTCHA below.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
The Warning was here on the site.

BOTNTools_0.9.1.zip [11.4MB]
Uploaded by: saycko at: 2022-06-26T22:55:36+0000 (2 weeks ago)
WARNING!
This file has been analysed by VirusTotal and has triggered 1 detection(s), to find out more. Whilst it is possible that this is a false positive, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are not 100% certain that the file is trustworthy and safe, DO NOT CONTINUE. Downloading unsafe files can lead to data loss, data/identity theft, and other severe consequences.

Should you wish to continue despite the detection, please acknowledge you understand and accept the very real risks involved, and complete the CAPTCHA below.
The one detection that was triggered is known for its false positives (MaxSecure). The editor, is in fact, as safe as any save editor.
MaxSecure does not have a good name at all. It's likely a machine learning AV so anything that qualifies as a save editor will result in it being erroneously flagged.
That editor is the very same one that I uploaded a while back. I don't know why people even trust something called "MaxSecure".
The name itself is kind of suspicious.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Pfft. There was a poll on which race should get the next Blessed. Guess what? Demons won. Overwhelmingly.
I wanted moar bunnies.

Drages

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2018
Pfft. There was a poll on which race should get the next Blessed. Guess what? Demons won. Overwhelmingly.
I wanted moar bunnies.
Using polls which will be mostly noisy minorities is mostly wrong about adult stuff. There were already a demon with tentacles. So even you made the pool 5 more times, you would have 5 more demons..

Shirokaen

Aug 13, 2017
as a fellow soulslike fan, please don't lump us all together, or at least me, while i do like the challenge those games provide, i expect the challenge to come from outmaneuvering the enemies, not bullshit grinding and making things annoyingly difficult for the sake of being difficult.

otherwise i totally agree, that grind is just needlessly extending the gameplay, and besides, i like to spend my time turning this game into a genetics simulator to see what color variants come out of all that breeding. wish i could save some of those as a preset.
WHAT challenge? button input delay? intentionally poorly balanced combat to cut corners for game production? janky and low effort world building and lore? it's literally all the same. As with fortnite and the whole br scene, it's a genre whose only concern is how much money they can save by manipulating and deceiving gamers by hiding the fact that they put as little effort into the game as possible to comply with what meagre regulations there are out there.

You wanna like low par stuff? fine, we all have our likes and dislikes. But don't go calling a game like dark souls or its genre challenging. It's an insult to all the quality games out there.

3.90 star(s) 105 Votes