Brothel King - Girl packs and Mods Collection

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
don't have an account on the HHS forum
Why not get one? It's free, most of the really invested people and Goldo himself hang around there, and it's more convenient than doing everything in two megathreads.

Are there currently any active modding projects in work?
Not that I know of. Aren117 had a personal mod in the works, but he dropped off the radar in May. _neronero had plans to update Trait King to 0.2 at some point, but he's been missing since March. Chris12 had a few technical things, but these are not mods as such. I doubt JobMod is getting an update. And Bonanza is dead, although I still patch it on occasion. Someone was tweaking Bonanza's traits just a little while ago, but I think that was more of a personal thing.

Played the game again yesterday after a long time and somehow noticed for the first time the small resolution of the game, which actually bothered me quite a bit. I wanted to ask if there are any future plans in changing that?
Upping the resolution isn't all that important, since upscaling from 768x1024 to about the fullHD range isn't too bad. If you're playing BK on 4K or similar, then maybe it's a problem, but scaling that high also comes with the issue that a lot of source material (old VN pictures, etc) is much lower resolution anyway.

Also, the UI is basically held together by duct tape. Changing the resolution is going to be a lot of work. I experienced that first-hand when I moved Bonanza from 4:3 to 16:10. :(

Maybe Goldo will up the resolution a bit sometime in the far future, but I doubt it's ever going to move to 4K or above.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and big pictures do have a performance hit. I suspect the 'image cache' errors are due to this, and someone outright crashed the game with a 6000x8000 picture of Ciri in March.

I really, really do think that the game would pack so much more quality and potential if the resolution would be set higher and the UI style/color/font and especially the spacing would be utilized wiser. If these things would get more optimized - the display of bigger pictures shouldn't be a problem at all.
Well, if you feel that strongly about it, you can try changing the UI yourself. If you come up with something better, I think Goldo would be glad to incorporate such work.

Edit2:
Of course the transformation should be losless!
From my POV, losslessness :) is overrated. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between 90% and lossless, but the size difference is massive. Even 70% is pretty darn close, and most players don't scrutinise images down to the last detail while playing.

I was wondering what softwares you use for that process?
Myself: XNConvert. Others have suggested WebPConv, online converters or even Paint.net. And Chris12 has a tool custom built for BK .

Last edited:

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
Hey guys i got a few questions!
I took a longer break from the project and also don't have an account on the HHS forum, so i'm not exactly in touch how it stands with possible modding projects. Are there currently any active modding projects in work? If yes, could somebody elaborate on what aspects they focus on?
Of course, there's the King's Way 2.0 trainer for ver 0.2, but that's probably not the extent of mod you're thinking of.

If there's something you find interesting, new or previously-worked, start a discussion & try some stuff!

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
how do i make webm works?

or the animations?
In short: use 0.2.

In more detail: what exactly isn't working for you? Not all animation formats are supported by Ren'Py (notably GIF and a lot of MPEG codecs).

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019

In more detail: what exactly isn't working for you? Not all animation formats are supported by Ren'Py (notably GIF and a lot of MPEG codecs).
ya know that makes me curious as to why ren'py became so popular ... if i remember right mostly everyone had alot of gif and mpeg's codecs ...
love the hell outta BK .. runs great (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
question tho : when is the story gonna be added to .. or has it been since last year ?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
makes me curious as to why ren'py became so popular
I don't really know the historical reasons, but some benefits of Ren'Py from personal experience:
  • It's a Visual Novel engine, meaning it has lots of prebuilt UI blocks and you don't have to reinvent the wheel for yourself.
  • It's based on Python, which is a very easy language to learn and do things with, even if it's less efficient than mainstream alternatives. It's also got a humongous amount of work already done for it, e.g. Ren'Py itself runs off pygame.
  • It has its own 'VN language' overlay, which actually isn't all that distant from just writing a story and inserting pictures. So even novices can write their (not so) interactive ficntion in it.
  • It's free and the source code is open.

gif and mpeg's codecs
Ren'Py's problems with those aren't that they don't work or that PyTom can't into those codecs. It's mostly to do with the fact that Ren'Py is free and a lot of these codecs aren't, i.e. you have to pay to use the patented stuff.

question tho : when is the story gonna be added to .. or has it been since last year ?
Well, Goldo has added bits of chapter 2, plus the dreaded 'whack-a-ninja' minigame. :p But it's been slow going, partially because the poor guy got promoted into a hot seat.

Reactions: ImperialD

Resti

Jan 27, 2018

So not all animation works, i see

Then can you tell me which one works? Maybe the character folder or example of working webm.

Btw just use vanilla 0.2 right? No need add anything?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Then can you tell me which one works?
. In general, if the displays it, the game does so as well.

Maybe the character folder or example of working webm.
Won't help you, since you can't make a new .webm out of an existing one. Well, you can, but it's not easier than converting an existing format. But this thread has several announcements of such packs. I think TylerJ also has some recent ones, but they might not be on this board.

Btw just use vanilla 0.2 right? No need add anything?
No. All current BK releases have a mandatory patch that is not included in the main download (because Goldo is a lazy bum busy man). You also need some girls and probably also the default pack, but I guess you knew that.

Reactions: Resti

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
I was wondering what softwares you use for that process?
I use XnConvert.

I do not use it in a lossless mode. I have it resize down the bigger pics. Given that they are for use in a game with limited UI real estate, ridiculous resolution pics IMHO serve no useful purpose in my packs. I'm making my packs for this game, not for image collectors. Below is the "actions" that I have the converter perform.

I'll also note that I always keep an unconverted copy of the pack. WEBP format is supported by a lot fewer tools, and is thus a pain to work with. Saving a copy allows that, if I every need to make adjustments to the pack images in the future, I can make them to the unconverted version and then duplicate/convert again.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: Reij

OmegaZXA

May 10, 2019
Goldo does quite well. Ren'Py also currently insists on using spaces for indentation (indents are vital), as you'd find out the first time using a Tab in executable code.
Guess I've just been doing more editing on non-Renpy games. Most of the time the only ren'py code I change is the command.console line, so I haven't had as much experience there as with other types.

enzokpo1912

Jun 6, 2017
Name: Lisa
Universe: Genshin Impact
Pics: 600+
Type: Video Game

Name: Amber
Universe: Genshin Impact
Pics: 600+
Type: Video Game

Folder Link:
portrait.jpg profile.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Seagull927

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Pack makers list updated; if you are a pack maker and already have a wide collection to share but you're not yet in the list, please pm me, Ill be glad to add a reference link to your stuff in the OP.

OSkyW

Jul 2, 2017
Hello hello, just a single question, i'm not seeing mods compatible with 0.2, am I just not looking at the right spot?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The only mod that's actually known to be compatible is the new King's Way. JobMod might be, but hasn't been touched since 2018. Trait King isn't even compatible with the latest 0.15b. The rest are either ancient or an unupdated fork.

Reactions: OSkyW

OSkyW

Jul 2, 2017
The only mod that's actually known to be compatible is the new King's Way. JobMod might be, but hasn't been touched since 2018. Trait King isn't even compatible with the latest 0.15b. The rest are either ancient or an unupdated fork.
That's a shame..
The game is good, has a lot of potential, but is kinda left out to the community, not saying that the community is bad, it's really good actually, but I believe it's small..
And ofc, thanks for the answer man!

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The game is good, has a lot of potential, but is kinda left out to the community...
Well, yes and no. We had Harem mod, OhWee's mod, Trait King, and my fork. All of which were quite significant, even if they're dead now. And some of their stuff bled over to the main game. Oh, and Kite80's jobgirl. I do wonder when she'll get some progress again. :sneaky:

Plus, Chris12 just updated JobMod. You need to be a member over at HHS to get it, though. IDK if Kite80 wants to up that mod here as well?

We could always use more mods, but I think what the community has already done compares favourably to Whoremaster. And that's more than 99% of the games on this board. Have a look in the mods subforum, I don't think you'll find more than a tiny handful of substantial mods for any game. And one of the biggest if not the biggest of the tiny handful is mine, again. :p For a game that already had a similar-level mod.

The community is also responsible for the absolutely humongous amount of girl packs. And some people are still occasionally plugging away at the community dialogue project. You too can help with that, if you wish.

There have been at least two others who had plans for a bigger mod, but, well, not everything gets completed or released. Strec did post some nice WIP stuff, but none of that was ever complete.

The community can have lulls in activity, that's true. I also wish there was more, or that e.g. _neronero would come back and update Trait King. But them's the breaks with voluntary effort. Maybe if Goldo ever gets to setting up a public code repository with pull requests and stuff, we'll see more direct contributions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 246 and enzokpo1912
4.00 star(s) 2 Votes