Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is this game dead or what?
Not dead, last beta patch was less than two weeks ago. But it's split into a 'stable' release (0.15b), which is nearing two years of age now, and a 'beta' version (0.2) that's being actively (or maybe not so actively during the past few months) developed and tested.

How much content does it have in its current build?
More than most games here, IMO. But if you mean 'story' content, then it does have a lot, but what's there is incomplete (less than two chapters out of 7). On the other hand, it's a simbro game, the story is just the cherry on top. The 'game' part is very much complete even if it's getting tweaked and added to, sometimes a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Batubatu

Hikari231

Oct 13, 2020
Tried playing it on joiplay crashes on launch here's the Traceback text if you guys know a fix for it

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Tried playing it on joiplay crashes on launch here's the Traceback text if you guys know a fix for it
That's a truncated traceback, it doesn't even show version numbers. I assume this is 0.15b, and you're running it on Joiplay using Ren'Py 7.0.0? Then try deleting line 29 from BKinit_variables.rpy, the one that removes right click as a shortcut for options:
Code:
    config.keymap['game_menu'].remove('mouseup_3')
But since right click (or its Joiplay equivalent) is used everywhere in the game, that might not really work.

If not, get a version of Joiplay that matches the game's version of Ren-Py, 7.0.0 (or 7.3.5 if you're actually going for 0.2).

Reactions: Hikari231

Hikari231

Oct 13, 2020
Thx
That's a truncated traceback, it doesn't even show version numbers. I assume this is 0.15b, and you're running it on Joiplay using Ren'Py 7.0.0? Then try deleting line 29 from BKinit_variables.rpy, the one that removes right click as a shortcut for options:
Code:
But since right click (or its Joiplay equivalent) is used everywhere in the game, that might not really work.

If not, get a version of Joiplay that matches the game's version of Ren-Py, 7.0.0 (or 7.3.5 if you're actually going for 0.2).

Hikari231

Oct 13, 2020
Code:

Just a quick question do you know what version of joiplay runs 7.0.0 since mine is running on 7.3.5

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Personally, I have zero experience with Joiplay. But others have managed, so I assume that with a bit of looking, you can as well.

Reactions: Hikari231

Kira77

Jun 2, 2017
Since I dunno how much stuff has changed over the last 2 years, how much work has been put into a female protagonist?

I mostly remember Slave Maker because of all the configuration-options to your slaver and how the world also interacted with him/her. For example, how you would have a certain amount of lust after being lewded yourself while going with your slave to the slum or events that would turn her into a submissive gloryhole slut and your slave looking at you with contempt afterwards.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Since I dunno how much stuff has changed over the last 2 years, how much work has been put into a female protagonist?
Zero. That would take way too much mind-numbing redoing of existing stuff, and the actually missing or important parts of the game take priority (chapters 2-7, more events, full implementation of girl personalities, more improvements to interactions, a headhunter, possibly contests and rivals, and more).

We do have female customers now, though they're mostly cosmetic.

I mostly remember Slave Maker because of all the configuration-options to your slaver and how the world also interacted with him/her.
The world-vs-MC interactions are arguably just as complex in BK, i.e. not very. Slave Maker recycled a lot of stuff, and didn't really have that much in the first place. Once you'd gone through the game a few times, it was all very familiar, and so is BK.

For example, how you would have a certain amount of lust after being lewded yourself while going with your slave to the slum or events that would turn her into a submissive gloryhole slut and your slave looking at you with contempt afterwards.
The MC gan get 'lewded' by Gizel. :p

But, yes, that sort of customisation isn't in the game, and I doubt it's ever going to be without mods. BK is, at its heart, a management game with thin VN overlay and the protagonists stats and skills reflect that.

There are other projects with lots of that sort of customisation out there, like JONT, Pytfall, Strive, Portals of Phereon, etc. The focus of BK is on the girls, not the PC.

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
So when I try to meet Scarlet(Jobgirl) at the beach, I get this as soon as it mentions that Scarlet notices me. Any suggestions or fixes?
The obvious: convert the image to .WebP, or change the script to point at the .jpg.
(This is a problem in ver 0.15b.)
To change the script, it is game\kite_jobgirl_variables.rpy, line 43, change beach.webp to beach.jpg

See next post.

Last edited:

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
So when I try to meet Scarlet(Jobgirl) at the beach, I get this as soon as it mentions that Scarlet notices me. Any suggestions or fixes?
The obvious: convert the image to .WebP, or change the script to point at the .jpg.
From mention by Jman9, looked further:

Your problem will be fixed by properly downloading and installing the from the OP. You should also delete the game\*.rpyc files before running the patched game, to trigger recompile.

The filename is given correctly in the patched version's script kite_jobgirl_variables.rpy ; a mix of image types exist.

Almost all Brothel King releases have a base code an a corresponding patch. Do not mix 0.15b & 0.2 installs.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I also advise you to upgrade your version of 0.15b. DougTheC did some good detective work, and your issue had been patched out years ago, and a lot of other bugs and minor improvements as well. You're missing out and probably producing more 'bogus' bug reports in the future if you don't.

Mu initial comment naively assumed it was a new bug, and the solution reflected that.

Reactions: DougTheC

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Yes. Goldo is resistant to proper version numbering.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Yeah, looks like it. Goldo's own patch link also works, but that's it. Anyone want to report this, since the OP has been missing since Spring, again? Kite80?

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes