Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
I reported to mods, who can fix when dev is not owner of OP.
Give them some time to assign uploader.

Edit 09-04-21: Seems fixed now.

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Sorry guys if I haven't been much around lately, gonna do more stuff in a couple weeks, including a few girl pack updates (or at least I hope so)

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I see this game has rape. Is it a scene or two or does it happen throughout?
Kinda in-between. There are some rape scenes in side quests that are at least somewhat avoidable, and I think most also have choices that at least steer the direction of things (Willow & tentacle beast, everything Stella does to the MC, Gizel's intro scene and 'new tenant' scenes, arguably Satella, the darker side of the Thieves' Guild main quest).

The two major sources of rape in the game are monsters or hooligans assaulting your girls (which can be mitigated by increasing security and generally not sucking as a virtual pimp :sneaky: ) and punishing your slaves with it, either as part of training or separately. The whole slave trainer thing has a heavy rape undertone, anyway. There is also a slave personality who likes to be mistreated.

So the amount of rape depends quite a bit on how you play the game. But some rape is always there, yet the game as a whole is not really focused on hardcore rape. Playing an evil character is an acknowledged weakness of BK.

Yukihirou

Feb 4, 2018
So the amount of rape depends quite a bit on how you play the game. But some rape is always there, yet the game as a whole is not really focused on hardcore rape. Playing an evil character is an acknowledged weakness of BK.
Asking a question about rape in a brothel management game aside.
Since you mention Evil character being a weakness of BK, I'm wanting to ask why Merchant MC sucks so much compared to Warrior and Mage MC, no actual skill at all, mostly stat increase skill on levelup. Warrior can reliably defend brothel, train the girls and kick the whole town ass while mage is a mega pimp that can min/max your girls for stuffs.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Since you mention Evil character being a weakness of BK, I'm wanting to ask why Merchant MC sucks so much compared to Warrior and Mage MC, no actual skill at all, mostly stat increase skill on levelup. Warrior can reliably defend brothel, train the girls and kick the whole town ass while mage is a mega pimp that can min/max your girls for stuffs.
It's in good part the same reason that evil players are weak. And that the Farm and job board are weak in contrast to straight whoring.

Balance is hard.

And you have multiple ways in the game where the balance between different playstyles or different modes is off. Efforts have been made to achieve balance in the past, and they have not really worked out. It's not easy to achieve balance, and there are multiple angles in the game where the balance is off. Sometimes way off. And, for better or worse, Goldo has decided that his time is better spent fixing bugs and adding content than in working on the much harder issues of balance.

Reactions: Yukihirou

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, it's a brothel (wo)manned by sex slaves, so the issue is just a bit more pertinent than for a 'normal' brothel. ;)

Since you mention Evil character being a weakness of BK, I'm wanting to ask why Merchant MC sucks so much compared to Warrior and Mage MC, no actual skill at all, mostly stat increase skill on levelup.
Isn't the Trader actually a favourite of experienced players? I know Chris12 plays Traders, and didn't Kite80 do so as well? I usually played Mages, but I also didn't play vanilla, so that doesn't count.

Warrior can reliably defend brothel, train the girls and kick the whole town ass while mage is a mega pimp that can min/max your girls for stuffs.
Trader has the best skills and stats for actually making money and developing slaves, the two things that matter most in a BK playthrough. The mage has a lot of versatility, but he's not quite as focused. Well, until you get Fairy Dust and Dragon Soul. :sneaky:

Magical training eats up your profits, and I think vanilla still scales actual stat gains via Charisma and not Spirit, even for hypnosis. Warrior is largely a one-trick pony, and city challenges are spread across all three stats. Charisma may be a little weaker than the other two, but not massively so. Maybe I'm remembering vanilla wrong, but I think Warrior was generally considered the weakest of the three by a large margin?

...the Farm and job board are weak in contrast to straight whoring.

Balance is hard.
It's not that balance is inherently hard, more like cost vs benefit. Multiplying stat gains from working by, say, 0.1 and farm stat gains by 5 would make both much more balanced against other options. It would actually work to solve these specific issues, too. Bonanza is a testament to that. But Bonanza is not balanced, either, it just has more and more distinct choices.

And this is the road to Sisyphean work. :cry: The game is pretty complex by now, and making sure everything more or less works afterwards, and that 3 or 10 or 0.2 or 0.15 (or 0.15b :sneaky: ) aren't better numbers is a lot of work for ultimately little gain compared to more writing, features and bugfixing. Especially since there will most likely be more additions and changes to core concepts down the road. I spent untold hours tweaking and testing various numbers in Bonanza, and the best I could do is make sure it was not completely off the rails. Come mid-late game, it's still horrendously broken.

Also, the simbro playerbase is not very much into hardcore minmaxing, and those who are can set up their own challenges, like Chris12 does. So balancing is a time-intensive endeavour with relatively tiny benefits, one that is ultimately only really doable for something that's feature-frozen. BK isn't, and Goldo has very limited time these days. Time that is more productively spent on writing the rest of the story, or adding new interesting mechanics like headhunting, contests, or rivalry with Kosmo.

You could go down the way I did with Bonanza and tighten the screws until players start screaming. :devilish: Some masochists players were even happy about it. But it ultimately didn't work out, because I'm not a dev studio with a full-time crew and a non-trivial amount of testers. And neither is Goldo.

It's in good part the same reason that evil players are weak.
Evil players are weak because neither Goldo nor anyone else has managed to come up with something interesting enough that'd work within the current framework of BK. In a way, it's similar to the periodic proposals for pregnancy. Anything truly distinct would necessitate basically a new, smaller game within the game. My best effort was adding wages to girls you can take for evil points and cries of despair, selling former free girls, and a kidnapping option with rather convoluted mechanics where you 'buy' new girls with stat checks and temporary excessive security. I don't think any of that worked in the long term, since ultimately the girls were still the same as always. And Goldo shot down the '24/7' girls idea, with some justification.

Reactions: Yukihirou

Yukihirou

Feb 4, 2018
selling former free girls
Actually can already do this by having a free girl do the monthly challenge/event and sell her there for x2/x3/x4 price. So I agree, why not let evil characters sell free girls off ?
And Goldo shot down the '24/7' girls idea, with some justification.
I'm interested, what is this about ?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
So I agree, why not let evil characters sell free girls off ?
Eh, my version had extra stuff, like lowering/raising mood, allowing her to buy out her contract for more money (but it was 'your' money from the start :p ), or just letting anybody, even bought slaves, go for a warm fuzzy feeling. I think it completely predated contracts as well.

I'm interested, what is this about ?
The discussion starting about .

Feb 11, 2021
Kinda in-between. There are some rape scenes in side quests that are at least somewhat avoidable, and I think most also have choices that at least steer the direction of things (Willow & tentacle beast, everything Stella does to the MC, Gizel's intro scene and 'new tenant' scenes, arguably Satella, the darker side of the Thieves' Guild main quest).

The two major sources of rape in the game are monsters or hooligans assaulting your girls (which can be mitigated by increasing security and generally not sucking as a virtual pimp :sneaky: ) and punishing your slaves with it, either as part of training or separately. The whole slave trainer thing has a heavy rape undertone, anyway. There is also a slave personality who likes to be mistreated.

Thank you for the in-depth response. I was looking for rape games, and it seems there's some of that in this one if you choose to go there, so I'll be giving it a shot

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Trader class allows to reach a point that you can make money just selling items in shops for an amount of money greater than their purchase price; moreover, high charisma makes many interactons easy, for example you befriend free girls faster

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
Trader class allows to reach a point that you can make money just selling items in shops for an amount of money greater than their purchase price; moreover, high charisma makes many interactions easy, for example you befriend free girls faster
Agree that Charisma benefit helps get cooperation on actions from girls, incl those in brothel; that's why Trader is my usual class.

Haggler skill got limited a while back (in ver 0.2). I doubt it provides a buy-below-sell advantage now. Buying items from Thief Guild/Guard, maybe (but can also get burned).

Last edited:

Stripedshovel

Sep 18, 2017
Don't know why it happens all of a sudden, but whenever I hover over a girl's sex skills on the lower left side of the screen, the game throws out an exception.

Error message:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Ah, the 'grid overfull' bug. Are you updated to the last version of 0.15b? I think that cut down on this bug a lot. I also have my own solution to the bug, but that requires you to go and do some scripting yourself.

I think restarting the game worked as well? Don't recall ATM, but the bug was hard to track down precisely because it was so inconsistent.

Last edited:

Stripedshovel

Sep 18, 2017
Ah, the 'grid overfull' bug. Are you updated to the last version of 0.15b? I think that cut down on this bug a lot. I also have my own solution to the bug, but that requires you to go and do some scripting yourself.

I think restarting the game worked as well? Don't recall ATM, but the bug was hard to track down preciesly because it was so inconsistent.
Restarting did actually help. Thanks. And yes, I am on 0.15b.

Ningyosai

May 19, 2017
Game throws an exception when asking love interests in the city to perform sex acts.

Something like "can only concatenate from tuple, not list" or something to that effect.

Any links to more girl packs?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Game throws an exception when asking love interests in the city to perform sex acts.

Something like "can only concatenate from tuple, not list" or something to that effect.
Sounds like an unupdated version of 0.15b. Have you applied the patch from the OP? If yes, post the traceback.

Any links to more girl packs?
Over a thousand of 'em :love: in the spreadsheet linked in the OP of the mods and girl packs thread.

Edit: Hah! My ninjutsu is better than Kite's! :sneaky:

Reactions: DougTheC

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
See a few posts above (grid overfull bug). You can find more girl packs on the secondary discussion of BK (see link in my signature); if you want newest packs try HHS forum, I haven't posted any update for a while here on f95zone

Ningyosai

May 19, 2017
Sounds like an unupdated version of 0.15b. Have you applied the patch from the OP? If yes, post the traceback.

Over a thousand of 'em :love: in the spreadsheet linked in the OP of the mods and girl packs thread.

Edit: Hah! My ninjutsu is better than Kite's! :sneaky:
Yep, that did the trick.
Oh yeah, there's one girl in town I can't seduce no matter what. Her love doesn't move past "she is fond of you" and her fear/trust does not go beyond "she is distrustful of you".

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes