Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Girls names can always be edited, stats and traits evolve during training and work, perks are decided by the player when a girl can unlock them; only traits are randomly set during a girl creation and stay like that for all her existence- unless you decide to use my trainer and change them too.

If you wish to change an NPC, the steps are those I explained above, but in order to change an NPC name it's another story: every .rpy file of the game must be checked and modified every time the npc name appears. I don't recommend this though, because if you change NPC names it will generate confusion if you ask help for events related to one of them. For example, if I change Bast name in, let's say, Fiona, and then ask how to unlock Fiona's sex scenes, no one will be able to answer me unless I specify Fiona is Bast.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Are we playing the same game here? Unless you want the dev to do a ridiculous amount of UI overhaul instead of new content, all this is modifiable and nobody is forcing you into anything.

making Sill from Rance games your default slave etc.
Sill is not the 'default slave', that's your first purchase. Sill is the default trainer, just like Shampoo was in SM3. You don't like her, feel free to go into game/NPC and change the images to whatever gal you fancy. There's a semi-hidden ingame option to rename her, or you can just change BKStart.rpy, or use the console to change 'sill_name'. Her dialogue remains the same, but that's generic enough. And if you write an alternate dialogue for another slave or make a 'more personal slaves' mod, I'm sure there's people who'll appreciate it. Might even make it into the game if it fits Goldo's vision.

I don't know what other issues you have, but unless it involves substantial amounts of dialogue, i.e. you dislike a character per se, that's also likely to be easily modifiable.

As far as I'm concerned
with no way to edit their name/stats/traits etc. ?
You're wrong. Read sincity3000's post a little above yours.

0nymous

Nov 16, 2016
I see. Then, even a coding retard like me can edit custom girls solely by editing the files in Notepad++?
And how does the image tagging work? Do I have to dig through the files for proper variables, or is there a list somewhere?
The three traits limit is a bit of a bummer.

JHorcoc6

Jun 10, 2019
Rather than editing existing girls, how would someone like me without programming experience create a new girl pack? I read the readme file that mentioned creating a folder for the girl and adding pictures, but what about editing her traits, such as how rebellious she is, her sexual orientation, if she is a virgin, etc.?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
There's a tagging tool you can use to ease the process of developing a girl pack (and other things, besides). Over at the HHS forums you can find both the tagging tool and a certain amount of documentation on its use.

There actually is even a customisable tag list, if you don't mind going beyond what's 'official'. Look into 'tag_dict' in game/BKSettings.rpy (or just settings.rpy for the tool). Don't come back crying if you break something, though. :p

Custom girls have their own .ini files and even scripts and events, as detailed above. Again, HHS forums have better documentation for using this feature. It's just that it takes some vision and a not inconsiderable amount of effort to fiddle with these things, which is why most girl packs are just collections of images.

Three traits aren't really hardcoded. My mod has up to 6, and you can use either kite80's or MonkOne's cheat utilities or the Ren'Py console to add/remove traits as you like. It's just that more than 5-6 are going to mess up the UI.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
For more info on how to make a girl pack, what's the tagging tool, how to make personal events etc. I suggest you to see here:
It's the second thread about BK, specifically createdfor talking about girl packs and mods

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Game's ok, but I don't like how it forces me to use 'borrowed' assets I don't like - that is for example making Sill from Rance games your default slave etc.
That's what you are stuck with when you have a free game, being developed by a programmer, with no artist on board. Being as it is a free game, there is no source of money to pay an artist for their time. In theory, an artist could come along, love the game, and offer their time for free to donate original assets to the game. In theory. In practice, I think a snowball has a better chance of not melting in hell than the chance of that actually happening.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Hi guys, here's how to get almost only unique girls (with true name and gold trait).
First, you must be sure to have the latest game version + latest patch installed, if not sure reinstall at least the latest patch, then delete all .rpyc files inside /game folder.
Second step: choose at least one girl pack which will stay clonable- unless you have more than 160 girl packs!
Third step: in every girl pack you don't want cloning option turned on, create a _BK.ini file (make a new .txt file, then rename it exactly that way); open it with notepad and edit its content like this:
Code:
[identity]

first_name = "girl name"
last_name = "girl surname"

[cloning option]

unique = True
Start a new game and enjoy a world almost full of original girls (and an army of clones of the same few girls for which you allowed cloning :ROFLMAO: )

EDIT: you may notice that if you don't have enough clonable girls, sometimes the game creates a copy of unclonable girls, but instead of a clone you get 2 times the same girl, with original name but different stats and traits.

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New update:

small fixes about latest issues found, including cloning unique girls bug.

Walkthrough updated:

now includes chapter 1 events and main features about girls, brothel, the farm and the first district.
If you find any typos please pm me, I'll fix them.

Last edited:

Daulas

Sep 5, 2018
Hello,

I tried to understand how the furniture worked regarding preferences, but I can't find the place in the code where it is used (I checked particularly the "perform" function) and the game help is not, in my opinion, very informative.

Could someone help me understand? Do the furniture's preferences about the sexual acts and brothel services (waitress...) increase the chances of success of the girls' acts with the customers? Increase the money and reputation earned? The XP? Something else?

Thank you to anyone who could help me better understand this, because, currently, I don't know if I'm supposed to always set everything at the maximum value or if I have to strike a balance depending on the types of customers there are, or the types of acts the girls can perform and their skill levels (which would be more interesting, in my opinion).

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
There are 2 kind of furnitures which change preferences: the first type works for customers - for example, a furniture granting +50% preference towards waitress means that more customers will ask for a waitress service; the second one modifies how quick a girl increases her preference towards a specific sexual act. Nothing changes for reputation, XP, JP or money gains.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch released:

there are some minor changes in effects changing energy:

- ("change", "energy") and ("boost", "energy") now affect every energy gain or loss in the Girlclass change_energy method (this is only used by one trait so far, Driven)
- ("change", "energy when resting") and ("boost", "energy when resting") now affect energy gains when resting. This is only used by one spell so far, Summon Phoenix. It stacks with the aforementioned effects.

None of this will work before a new game, but it doesn't break saved games.

Daulas

Sep 5, 2018
There are 2 kind of furnitures which change preferences: the first type works for customers - for example, a furniture granting +50% preference towards waitress means that more customers will ask for a waitress service; the second one modifies how quick a girl increases her preference towards a specific sexual act. Nothing changes for reputation, XP, JP or money gains.
First, thank you for your answer.

Second, does this mean that, for jobs, if I have all four rooms activated and all the furniture preference at the max, the result is the same as if I had all the furniture preference at 0? And that, while sailors prefer anal, setting the service preference at 100% would make it more likely for them to choose a service act than an anal one? What is the base modifier for a type of client?

As for the sexual acts, honestly, seeing how fast the girls can become fascinated with an act, I don't see the point in getting them there faster. Or is it changing the chance they accept a specific act when working? But, here again, what's the point once they are fascinated? Will they refuse anyway sometimes?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Let's use the sailor example again: they prefer anal among all other sexual activities, so they'll probably ask for that every time they come in our brothel; let's say anal has double chance to be chosen from a sailor.

If you build a furniture which grants +50% service preference among customers, a sailor will choose which sexual act he wants in this way: best chance is still anal, then it comes service with a better chance and finally the other acts with normal chance.

Having all the furnitures granting +50% for all sexual acts but anal will change things like this: anal is still a sailor's most preferred act, but the other acts will have a better chance, closer to anal, so if in normal conditions a sailor preferences would be +100% anal only, with those furnitures built (all but anal) they become like if it was anal +50% (because the other acts reduce the gab by 50%, so 100-50 = 50%)

Now with all furnitures granting +50% preference for all sexual acts: it doesn't change anything because anal among everything would gain the same +50%; so we'd have 100+50= 150% for anal, 50% for the other acts means 150-50 = still 100% for anal.

Let me give you a suggest: there's a perk which allows a girl to get more tips if she has only one sexual act enabled; a virgin girl can get a perk which doubles her income; another perk allows a girl to make a client choose another sexual act. Combine all three with a single furniture which grants a bonus for clients preference for that sexual act, and we'll do tons of gold! A virgin girl with those perks and only anal activated, in a brothel having a furniture with +50% anal and serving mostly sailors (but can be allow better clients too, no problem) can be a true gold mine. And you just have to train her for anal, if you have urgence to spend AP points for other tasks than training girls.

Not every girl becomes fascinated so fast; you are lucky if you haven't met a bigoted girl yet, they take a long time training only to make them stop refusing certain sexual acts, figure out how much they take to become fascinated!
Normally a girl refusing a sexual act or being very reluctant for that, also has a phobia related to taht act. If you start training a girl who refuses sex, for example, you may notice the broken heart symbol next to the act name (she hates it): it means she has only phobias for sex; a tao symbol (she has mixed feelings) means she has both fixations and fears; a full heart means she only has fixations.
If you manage to remove all the phobias related to a sexaul act, the girl won't hate it or have mixed feelings anymore: the broken heart would disappear and she won't hate it anymore, but neither she will love it particularly, it will be just normal for her; the tao symbol will leave its place to the full heart, meaning she now loves it, no more mixed feelings.
All of this will change her preferences too: once there are no more phobias for an act, the girl won't refuse to train for it and her preference will increase faster; once a girl becomes fascinated, she will likely accept both training and whoring in that act (but there's still a tiny chance she may refuse to work, due to a bad obedience test). And yes, sexual preference influences an obedience test related to that act.

One last thing: every sexual act is linked to a specific job: service-waitress, sex-masseuse, anal-dancer, fetish-geisha; sometimes a girl's client may ask her to do lewd things with her even if she's just working and not whoring, if it happens a high girl's preference for that act may bring her to accept her client's request and have a sexual intercourse with him. Girls who have double shift perk (the work half shift and whore half shift) will always accept such requests while working and that will count as a whoring client too.

Reactions: WayonF95

Daulas

Sep 5, 2018
Let's use the sailor example again: they prefer anal among all other sexual activities, so they'll probably ask for that every time they come in our brothel; let's say anal has double chance to be chosen from a sailor.
(...)
Thank you for your detailed answer. I believe that some of your explanations could be inserted in the help texts to make the use of the varying preferences clearer.

Do the windows increase the girls' preferences (and likeliness of accepting a sex act during her job) as well as the customers or only the customers?

Could it also be possible to actually have an idea if it is possible to reverse a client's preference to something else. Meaning, is there a point in the furniture development where the sailor's preference for anal would be lower than the preference generated by the furniture for any other act? This could be useful, for example, when training girls as dancers while getting the higher-paying jobs (if I understood correctly) of the Fetish act.

Finally, yes, I probably am lucky about the Bigot girls. I'm not sure I ever got one. On the other hand, when a girl's traits are definitely not what I like, I do not hesitate to sell them back to get rid of them. Probably after a stint at the farm to increase their value without using my AP (at least the physical stats, if they resist the sexual acts too much).

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Furnitures influencing customer preferences affect customers only; there are other furnitures which influence girls preferences towards specific sexual acts and such furnitures don't affect customers at all.

Nothing can totally change customers preferences, we can only increase them towards certain acts or jobs with furnitures: it's like when you enter a bar for a coffee, but when you're in front of the food display you change your mind and get a croissant too. A good manager finds a way to alter his customers tastes a little, but no one can brainwash them as he pleases!

I'll try to add some tips and hints in the walkthrough, there's a lot to put there but I'm afraid that making it too long could be a bad idea.

Daulas

Sep 5, 2018
Nothing can totally change customers preferences, we can only increase them towards certain acts or jobs with furnitures: it's like when you enter a bar for a coffee, but when you're in front of the food display you change your mind and get a croissant too. A good manager finds a way to alter his customers tastes a little, but no one can brainwash them as he pleases!
Well, I can understand this point of view, but since we are dealing with a game, an argument could be made that it could also be actually possible to change people's minds up to an extent (here, it could be nullifying a preference or replace it with a weaker one).

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I'll give you a technical description of how customer preferences work. Kite80 exaggerates the power of individual customer preferences a bit.

Everyone has the following base chance of choosing a sex act: service 30%, sex 35%, anal 20%, fetish 15%.

Some people have mild bonuses, namely sailors, commoners, bourgeois and guild members. Each has one favoured job and one favourite sex act. These bonuses are all +15%, but that's not a real percent. Rather, a sailor has (20+15) / (100+15) = ~30% chance of picking an anal act, instead of 20%.

Furniture takes the base chances (30%, 35%, 20%, 15%) and multiplies them by up to 2.5x (+50% per level, three levels).

So a hypothetical sailor in a 'maximum-anal' brothel has a (20 * 2.5 + 15)/ (100 + 20 * 1.5 + 15) = ~44.8% chance to choose anal. If it was a 'max-sex' brothel, he'd have a ~20.9% chance. And in a 'max-everything' brothel, the same probability is ~24.5%.

As you can see, maxing everything isn't particularly worth it, unless you want to level the playing field. And not much even then.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
The best chance is given by the perk which grants girls the ability to bring their customers to choose another sexual act chosen by the girl, and as I said above, if the girl has only one available act, such choice will fall into that act.

Daulas

Sep 5, 2018
I'll give you a technical description of how customer preferences work. Kite80 exaggerates the power of individual customer preferences a bit.
(...)
As you can see, maxing everything isn't particularly worth it, unless you want to level the playing field. And not much even then.
Thank you, to both you and Kite80. This is really helpful and now I have a better grasp about how to manage all this.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes