Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch released:

The update corrects some bugs, adds a cool new UI feature in the city, as well as the 'packstate' feature that Chris12 made.

Some core features have been tweaked (including the way the game gets pictures and how brothels are generated). This shouldn't break saved games, but it is likely to have bugs.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Walkthrough update:
today I wrote down the main informations about districts and brothel relocation: now you can know in advance how much gold you need for moving in your next chapter and which features and upgrades the new brothel will provide, including max girl rank, number of clients served for each common room's level, and so on.

Link:

Estimated progress: 85%

EDIT: I haven't listed all the furnitures available for the brothel, since each of them has a good description in game I think there's no need to put everything in the walkthrough too; eventually I'll add a few tips in the last pages. This, and just special events are left to be done, then I'll be very happy and satisfied for having finished it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmann and Reij

Morkar

Aug 9, 2016
How do I remove random names and have the girls in the packs come out with their real name?

Tidalbore

Dec 31, 2017
How do I remove random names and have the girls in the packs come out with their real name?
If the girls have a _BK.ini file, you can edit it in two potential ways- one is to have the girl spawn only as unique, the way to do this is to add "unique = True" as the first line under the [clone options] tab of the .ini file- this was bugged to not work a little while ago but I think it might be fixed now, have to ask Kite about that- but unless you have a lot of girl packs, you will start getting a lot of duplicate unique spawns if you do this.

Alternatively, you can go under that same [clone options] heading and set "keep_first_name" and "keep_last_name" both to true- this will make it so that clones of the girl will still spawn, but they will spawn with the true name- the clone versions will spawn with 2 green traits instead of 1 green trait and 1 gold trait, and their name in the slave pens/city areas will be white instead of gold, but otherwise will be indistinguishable from the unique copies. That being said, this method will result in your game being flooded with a ton of girls sharing the same name. Either way will cause girls to spawn with only their true names.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I confirm the unique setting has been fixed and now it works well; but if you have not enough girl packs, you still get more than a copy of the same girl.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch released:
  • revamped UI for training
  • added the possibility to include an 'init' function in _BK.ini for advanced users
  • the master bedroom and magic training nerfs are on purpose

EDIT: new patch bugs are currently being fixed, get the latest version using the same link above, I'll keep you updated when it changes again.

Last edited:

razxxx

Mar 9, 2019
I get this error after the latest patch.
what is the ´name success_factor´?
And every time I talk to my slaves about her life in the brothel
it crashes completely.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/BKmain.rpy", line 1214, in script call
call slave_interact(girl) from _call_slave_interact
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 454, in script call
$ renpy.call(topic.label, girl)
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 3089, in script
$ success_factor *= 0.5
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 3089, in <module>
$ success_factor *= 0.5
NameError: name 'success_factor' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/BKmain.rpy", line 1214, in script call
call slave_interact(girl) from _call_slave_interact
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 454, in script call
$ renpy.call(topic.label, girl)
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 3089, in script
$ success_factor *= 0.5
File "D:\Users\rasie\Downloads\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "D:\Users\rasie\Downloads\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/BKinteractions.rpy", line 3089, in <module>
$ success_factor *= 0.5
NameError: name 'success_factor' is not defined

Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Brothel King 0.15
Sun Aug 18 14:32:48 2019

Last edited:

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
And, to clarify a little, when the game is creating an instance of a girl from a girl pack, the instance can be an "original" or a "clone". There is a much higher chance of the instance being a clone. Originals retain their original name, and get a golden, higher power, perk. Clones are the ones with the random names, and have only regular, white text, perks. Tidalbore described a couple of ways to override this behavior (Using the _BK.ini files).

You can also rename your girls, so you can just take a clone and rename it to the name of the original.

It's also possible to work the game to only generate Original girls, not Clones (again using the _BK.ini files). There has been quite a bit of discussion on the topic on the main BK discussion board. The problem is that the game eventually can need something like 160 different girl instances (Brothel + Farm + Market + free girls). If you only want originals, if you do not have 160 different girl packs, you are eventually going to run out, and the game will be forced to create duplicates.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch update out, allowing players to get a preview of free girl stats when they meet and improve their relationship. However, you should know that free girls can no longer be sold. Instead, they are dismissed for 0 denars, so think hard before doing it.

The free girl chat UI will eventually get a revamp on the lines of the girl interaction menu. This will not come soon, however, as these things take time...

The bug
'success_factor' is not defined
has been reported to Goldo and will be fixed asap. Consider that there may still be some more bugs not yet reported, but dev is concentrated on making things working so every bug won't last long.

Reactions: Metalmania and Reij

Thora

Jan 2, 2018
First thanks for making, supporting and updating this game!

The latest patch has broken training constitution or obedience which will never raise.

This is because in BKclasses.rpy resolve(), the code around line 4590 tests against an incorrect variable:
if self.type == "obedience":
further down:
if self.type == "constitution":

In both cases "self.type" contains the string "train", and should (probably) be replaced by "self.act".

A few suggestions/comments:
- As the code is being actively refactored, it might be useful to have a 'stable' and 'experimental' branch so players know what to expect. Using a test harness to spot crashes/issues like those early on might also be useful.
- A patch version level and/or date displayed on the main screen would help knowing what you are running and label bug reports.
- Girls can only be trained once per day now regardless of methods. This makes leveling up or fixing girls very slow and reduces the usefulness of magic and expanding your room (only saves ap).

-T-

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch update:

I've reported the issue about training obedience and constityution.

I always tell you if a patch can bring bugs or not, in this case it does so; you may have noticed a lot of changes in training, UI and other features and so many changes bring new bugs, as usual. Those who want to keep the working and tested version just need to stay with vanilla + official patch and wait for this one to be fixed, anyway I also said fixing bugs won't take much time since all the efforts of Goldo are focused on it.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Thora: Well, "refactoring" is perhaps not quite the word I'd use. The code is being improved and rewritten, but the effects are not always quite retained. Accidentally or not. :(

All the patches should really be considered 'beta' at this point. A version numbering system would be nice, but not all that necessary. For now, we've resorted to labelling them by date.

If you really dislike the 1 training per day system, it's rather straightforward to change. If you can live without the last three patches or so, I've a 'proof-of-many-concepts' mod over at HHS forums which, among a great number of other things, raises the limit to 3. Be warned that it's not for everyone, though.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Let me say also that recently Goldo collected game balance data using a very detailed survey; many experienced players joined that survey and discussed for days about what was ok and what needed to be nerfed or improved; well, for now we're getting the nerfs, but also expect to see good news very soon.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch released:

Now almost every bug reported has been fixed; before reporting further bugs please take in mind these things:

1) don't just copy/paste the error changelog, try to briefly explain what you were doing when the bug occurred;
2) reload the game a couple of times and see if the bug still happens
3) verify if it shows up with a new game
4) don't forget to mention any mod/trainer/cheat/whatever you've got other than vanilla game + latest patch

I'll try to do the same for every reported bug and help you if possible, but will let Goldo know of the bug only after these steps are completed.

tessarhea

Jul 2, 2017
I've been wondering... is it normal that a girl goes from -9 fear (or "9 trust") to 51 fear if I scold her once for not working? Admittedly I have 18 charisma, but still... Getting trust up is annoyingly slow anyway so I rarely bother, but this makes it even less worthwhile... or rather it may make disciplining girls more masochistic than it's worth.

While I'm at it: Is it intentional that the Wizard's transformation and Enchanted Brothel last forever? It's kinda handy especially if you build for it, but...

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I've been wondering... is it normal that a girl goes from -9 fear (or "9 trust") to 51 fear if I scold her once for not working? Admittedly I have 18 charisma, but still... Getting trust up is annoyingly slow anyway so I rarely bother, but this makes it even less worthwhile... or rather it may make disciplining girls more masochistic than it's worth.

While I'm at it: Is it intentional that the Wizard's transformation and Enchanted Brothel last forever? It's kinda handy especially if you build for it, but...

If you have a lot of charisma and scold a girl, she may have a big drop of trust (or fear increase), but it also depends on her personality. Some girls react coldly and don't change much, others take a scold more seriously and gain more fear.

I have to check the two spells, for now I can say they should expire in the end of the day like every other spells

Is there ETA of next big patch, 0.20 or whatever version that will be?
Goldo doesn't give any ETA for next releases, but I'll inform you when it's close to be released.

Reactions: danken
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes