Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Basically it's a ren'py game, so if ren'py always works on mac, so does BK.

The standard max love level is 10, which can reach 15 if the girl has the related Bride perk. But you can reach such level only after the girl ranks up enough times, because in each rank there's a love and trust cap

Gutsandguts

Dec 9, 2017
I've been wondering... is it normal that a girl goes from -9 fear (or "9 trust") to 51 fear if I scold her once for not working? Admittedly I have 18 charisma, but still... Getting trust up is annoyingly slow anyway so I rarely bother, but this makes it even less worthwhile... or rather it may make disciplining girls more masochistic than it's worth.
Yeah this is probably my only real problem with the game, I like to build my girls up and let them have their own agency essentially but making them trust you is a huge chore. I understand why that should be a thing but it feels odd how you can make a girl absolutely love you within a few days but she can love and be terrified of you.
The fear increases for punishments definitely need rebalanced at some point, punishments should be effective(within reason) but as it stands they're kind of pointless right now.

I tend to just send them to the farm and pretend I done it as punishment.

I hope the system is expanded upon later, it'd be cool if you had to get them to trust you or fear you in order to do certain things like a girl won't do anal(unless she loves it) until she either has +3 trust or -3 trust for you. So you could ultimately have someone who's fully submissive or fully trusts you and will do anything you ask for either reason.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I hope the system is expanded upon later, it'd be cool if you had to get them to trust you or fear you in order to do certain things like a girl won't do anal(unless she loves it) until she either has +3 trust or -3 trust for you. So you could ultimately have someone who's fully submissive or fully trusts you and will do anything you ask for either reason.
Actually when you succesfully train a girl for a sexual act (and for succesfully I don't just mean you manage to make her do it, but also her preference towards that act increases) includes a trust boost, sometimes love too increases but in a lesser way. So, when you finally manage to make her whore with that sexual act, you also have gained her trust.
But you can also push her to whore herself if you increase her fear enough and in that case you will want to have her love very high, otherwise she will try to run away!

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The two spells are missing durations, which I guess is an oversight. Unless you know how to handle the Ren'Py console with some skill, that's going to stick with your save even when the game is updated.

Charisma is applied twice for scolding (and not only!), although for such a large drop, you have to have something else going for you. A 'sweet' girl + evil MC + Dark moon/Satella as trainer or something like that.

How did you get 18 charisma, anyway? I thought the Death Dispenser was unavailable in the game.

Love max goes up by 25 per rank, so it's at most 125, although the highest description ('worship') is already achieved by level 90+.

The Bride perk Healer artificially inflates the love score by 50%, so it appears as if the max is higher, but it really isn't.

Making girls do things they might not like is handled via the obedience stat, and fear to a lesser extent. If I trust you, but not blindly, good luck trying to sell me that a 15cm dildo up the ass is perfectly fine. :p

Tramdor

Jul 20, 2018
Any1 know what the max number of girl packs you can have before the game starts slowing down and crashing is. I currently have quite a bit and i have noticed a lot of slowdown and random crashes

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
Any1 know what the max number of girl packs you can have before the game starts slowing down and crashing is. I currently have quite a bit and i have noticed a lot of slowdown and random crashes
The maximum I had was about 30 girls and aside from a ~1 sec. delay in the end-of-day phase nothing happened. Playing on a weak notebook or something similar could change things though.

Edit: Wait you meant girl packs. There's an upper limit to the amount of free girls + market slaves available at the same time so it shouldn't impact anything.

Last edited:

razxxx

Mar 9, 2019
I have 67 Packs, and no pack-related problems.

Gutsandguts

Dec 9, 2017
Actually when you succesfully train a girl for a sexual act (and for succesfully I don't just mean you manage to make her do it, but also her preference towards that act increases) includes a trust boost, sometimes love too increases but in a lesser way. So, when you finally manage to make her whore with that sexual act, you also have gained her trust.
But you can also push her to whore herself if you increase her fear enough and in that case you will want to have her love very high, otherwise she will try to run away!
Huh didn't know it worked like that, I'm sure I've got many girls who I could select say fetish for right away and they'd do it but hate it though so that's not a preference or a trust thing surely?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Girls hate a sexual act when they only have phobias for that act: remove all the phobias and they won't hate it anymore.

razxxx : I have a low spec pc here and 80 girl packs, but my game never crashes; perhaps something else is interfering with your game?

Btw since Jman9 cited the value of love/trust parameters, let me say that there are 2 values, one is the real value and is hidden; the other one is the one I cited above and is shown next to the love description in girl's screen. There are more hidden values in game, such as sexual act preferences which range from -1000 to 1000, BK works with such values when managing interactions, by consequnce the shown values are based on their related hidden values.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I have over 300 girl packs and they're not causing crashes. Can you post a crash message or traceback file for one of these crashes? It's possible that you have an older version of the game or a bad girl pack.

Ever since the 'packstates' feature got implemented, almost all picture loading is done on startup, so there shouldn't be much if any slowdown due to number of girl packs. There's some mystery hickup going on with profiles/portraits, but that's a separate issue from girl packs.

I don't think there are any girls who'd agree to 'fetish whore' straight away, unless you get really lucky with fixations/experience or are in a higher-tier district. If you beat them into submission for a single session, that's possible but leads to trust loss. And preference loss, if she's a dom personality or has a negative fixation.

Fear won't help you if she completely refuses, it'll only improve a non-zero chance. Trust actually seems to make it harder to make them obey.

tessarhea

Jul 2, 2017
Wizard IS the class! :cool:
It's kinda powerful. Rejuvenation and Faery Form are both bonkers, Enchanted Brothel is great and Magical Servants trivialize Maintenance (though that's just money). Plus Stat- and Training-bonuses for the girls...

After last update (Thursday at 1:49 AM) I can't start New game and also have lots of errors when game starts scripts for events. Also _BK.ini for some girls started to give errors.
View attachment 381194
View attachment 381195
View attachment 381196
It's not the patch, it's a girlpack.
Easiest fix: Go into the girls folder, then into Chihiro's and delete the _BK.ini.
Advanced fix: Open the _BK.ini. There should be a " " in there somewhere, so use ctrl-f to search for " " (yes, with the "") and remove it. And any extra commas, if there are any. Save and try again? Restart the game for good measure.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
After last update (Thursday at 1:49 AM) I can't start New game and also have lots of errors when game starts scripts for events. Also _BK.ini for some girls started to give errors.
View attachment 381194

Chihiro is mine. I fixed that bug a while back. So you either want to re-download the girl pack for her, or go manually edit her _BK.ini.

The idea here is that those girl pack errors were there all along, but more recent versions of the game expressly list them out so that you can know what the problem is, and report it to the girl pack makers (NOT to Goldo himself). It's a report exactly like yours that got me to fix the pack.

As a quick and dirty work around, if you do not want to be editing the BK.ini files yourself, you can just go delete the _BK.ini file for any girl that the game reports bugs about. You'll lose any custom settings that the girl pack maker made for the girl, but that's better than the game being unrunable.

And also, in general, it's a good thing to report the bugged girl packs here or in the girl pack thread of the main board. That helps get the word to the makes responsible for each pack that they have something that they need to fix.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I also suggest girl pack makers to always include a BK.ini for their packs, if not just for putting their signature into a comment. I've started to do it for mine, when I've finished I'll recommend to update all my packs (not only for this, there will be pics with .webp extention, lighter than jpg and png and faster to be loaded, overall retag and portrait reduced sizes).

Tramdor

Jul 20, 2018
I have over 300 girl packs and they're not causing crashes. Can you post a crash message or traceback file for one of these crashes? It's possible that you have an older version of the game or a bad girl pack.

Ever since the 'packstates' feature got implemented, almost all picture loading is done on startup, so there shouldn't be much if any slowdown due to number of girl packs. There's some mystery hickup going on with profiles/portraits, but that's a separate issue from girl packs.
Im not getting any crash message or trace back log just a CTD

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Im not getting any crash message or trace back log just a CTD
What do you expect anyone to do with this information? We're not your personal IT desk, we can't and won't come over and personally check your installation of BK.

What does your traceback.txt say? Can you run other Ren'Py games without crashing? What did you do immediately before the crash, do you have girl packs with BK_.ini files, did you try deleting them, are you running any mods, which exact version and update are you using, is the crash repeatable and if so, can you provide a save game with precise instructions to do so, etc. The usual bug-reporting routine.

The easier you make it to find bugs, the sooner we can expect 0.2 instead of Goldo running around like a lemming trying to squash bugs that have nothing to do with his code or are already fixed.

Anyway, I have personally never seen a crash without traceback, so I suspect there's something borked with your installation. But I'm not a hierophant and computers can act up for the weirdest reasons sometimes.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
New patch available:

- fixed 'no rapists' bug
- no more infinite duration for some wizard spells
- fixed girl.get_log("quest_gold", 0) and girl.get_log("quest_xp", 0) always amount to 0
- free girls in the city now have a brand new interaction screen

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes