Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
Are you playing with the community dialogues for the free girls? If so, how are they holding up? There were some new wrenches thrown into the wooing process, as I recall.
Playing with normal 0.20 bugtesting incl patch. Community dialogues revision for 0.20 test had a Jun 2 initial release, but I'll wait to use that when Goldo includes it (probably in next 0.20 patch release) after he checks for any balance problems with love values.

And yes, the girl needs money for school, and she accepted my "solution!"

Using Goldie as technique trainer since Chapter 2.

Last edited:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
this game i played alot when it was in the younger versions ... i think the most problems this game has is that old saying " to many cooks spoil the stew " .... ;)
was a great game .. i would guesss the Dev. decided to cut and run ... and let someone else run the show ... to much shit got changed in version 15 .. making this game to difficult ... compared to the easiness it was before .. just not much storyline .. and more capturing girls ... making them whores .. maybe , jusy maybe the new dev. could help me understand why the game changed to much between 14 and 15 .. :rolleyes: most problems i've seen in game is the girls themselves ... the traits of them in fact are kinda stupid .. specially when the trait itself doesn't make sense ... or there is only 2 traits ... but what do i know ... if i had this kinda knowledge , i'd be making games myself ....

now that being said .. its the haters turn to bitch at me for my comment ....

thanks for a decent game tho .... :)

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
now that being said .. its the haters turn to bitch at me for my comment ....
I guess I'll take a stab at it, then.

i think the most problems this game has is that old saying " to many cooks spoil the stew " ....
was a great game .. i would guesss the Dev. decided to cut and run ... and let someone else run the show ...
I have no idea where you're taking all this from. Goldo has been the sole dev the whole time, perhaps getting a little bit of help from fans like kite80 (for Scarlet the Jobgirl) or OhWee (with some interface changes).

I guess it's fashionable to vent at cut-and-run developers (and Patreon is filled to the brim with them :cry:), but next time, check your tale before you spin it, okay?

to much shit got changed in version 15 ..
For example? I started playing when the game was transitioning to 0.15, so I don't have the '0.14 experience'. But as far as I know, e.g. the security overhaul was part of 0.15 and it was a massive change for the better. So was autorest. Possibly more, I can't find a changelog ATM.

making this game to difficult ... compared to the easiness it was before ..
There's been a recurring complaint from a section of the playerbase that the game is 'too easy'. Difficulty levels have been put on the 0.2 feature list, they're just not in yet.

just not much storyline ..
The game has more 'storyline' than any simbro clone I know of, and we finally have chapter 2 on the horizon. Anyway, if you play a brothel sim for its story, that's on you, not the dev.

Goldo's also repeatedly offered to take on writers. Guess how many have actually shown up?

maybe , jusy maybe the new dev. could help me understand why the game changed to much between 14 and 15 ..
No 'new' dev. If you actually told us which changes you dislike, we could perhaps discuss this. 'Too hard'... You have no idea what 'hard' is. :devilish: I'm running a fork/mod of BK and at least the first chapter is massively more difficult there. Some people quite like it, because it makes BK into an actual game and not just a 'click&fap' experience.

Complaining that that there are too many changes from version x.y to version x.[y+1] is a new one to me. :p If you think any project in it's '0.14' stage should not change in any significant manner, I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding what software versioning means.

specially when the trait itself doesn't make sense ...
In what sense does a trait 'not make sense'? You think the name and effects are mismatched, or the effects are silly, or something else? Given that trait trees have already gone through years of playtesting and at least one round of community feedback, I can only take this kind of complaint seriously if it comes with examples and justification.

or there is only 2 traits ... but what do i know ... if i had this kinda knowledge , i'd be making games myself ....
I don't think vanilla BK has girls without exactly 2 positive and 1 negative trait, so 3 total. If your problem is that you'd like more traits than that, well... It's pretty easy to change the game code so they get more or less traits. There's the Trait King mod, but it's outdated right now. And there's my fork, Bonanza, which has up to 6+1 traits, but I strongly doubt you could stomach the difficulty.

Last edited:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I guess I'll take a stab at it, then.

I have no idea where you're taking all this from. Goldo has been the sole dev the whole time, perhaps getting a little bit of help from fans like kite80 (for Scarlet the Jobgirl) or OhWee (with some interface changes).

I guess it's fashionable to vent at cut-and-run developers (and Patreon is filled to the brim with them :cry:), but next time, check your tale before you spin it, okay?

For example? I started playing when the game was transitioning to 0.15, so I don't have the '0.14 experience'. But as far as I know, e.g. the security overhaul was part of 0.15 and it was a massive change for the better. So was autorest. Possibly more, I can't find a changelog ATM.

There's been a recurring complaint from a section of the playerbase that the game is 'too easy'. Difficulty levels have been put on the 0.2 feature list, they're just not in yet.

The game has more 'storyline' than any simbro clone I know of, and we finally have chapter 2 on the horizon. Anyway, if you play a brothel sim for its story, that's on you, not the dev.

Goldo's also repeatedly offered to take on writers. Guess how many have actually shown up?

No 'new' dev. If you actually told us which changes you dislike, we could perhaps discuss this. 'Too hard'... You have no idea what 'hard' is. :devilish: I'm running a fork/mod of BK and at least the first chapter is massively more difficult there. Some people quite like it, because it makes BK into an actual game and not just a 'click&fap' experience.

Complaining that that there a too many changes from version x.y to version x.[y+1] is a new one to me. :p If you think any project in it's '0.14' stage should not change in any significant manner, I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding what software versioning means.

In what sense does a trait 'not make sense'? You think the name and effects are mismatched, or the effects are silly, or something else? Given that trait trees have already gone through years of playtesting and at least one round of community feedback, I can only take this kind of complaint seriously if it comes with examples and justification.

I don't think vanilla BK has girls without exactly 2 positive and 1 negative trait, so 3 total. If your problem is that you'd like more traits than that, well... It's pretty easy to change the game code so they get more or less traits. There's the Trait King mod, but it's outdated right now. And there's my fork, Bonanza, which has up to 6+1 traits, but I strongly doubt you could stomach the difficulty.
you forgot what i said at the end .. i still enjoy this game and think its a decent one ;)

Reactions: DougTheC

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Fair point, you did.

But I (and most likely Goldo as well) would very much prefer that instead of this faint praise, you told us what specifically and why you didn't like about 0.15. Version 0.2 is currently scheduled to mess with several core mechanics (reputation and advertising, customer budgets, matchmaking, group sex/bisexual), so it's a good time to address any overall design issues you might have had.

If it was just 'give me an easi(er) mode', that's on the todo list and might have to move up a notch.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
Fair point, you did.

But I (and most likely Goldo as well) would very much prefer that instead of this faint praise, you told us what specifically and why you didn't like about 0.15. Version 0.2 is currently scheduled to mess with several core mechanics (reputation and advertising, customer budgets, matchmaking, group sex/bisexual), so it's a good time to address any overall design issues you might have had.

If it was just 'give me an easi(er) mode', that's on the todo list and might have to move up a notch.
i wish i knew how to make games it would be more helpful .. i do have a few tracebacks i could post

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
None of us really knows how to make games (well, except for Waveshaper :p). It's not stopping us from pitching in.

0.15b tracebacks are probably not that useful at this point, since we have a preliminary version of 0.2 in testing now. But I guess they won't really hurt either.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
None of us really knows how to make games (well, except for Waveshaper :p). It's not stopping us from pitching in.

0.15b tracebacks are probably not that useful at this point, since we have a preliminary version of 0.2 in testing now. But I guess they won't really hurt either.
well i thank you for taking time to talk with me about this .. i do enjoy this game .. and can't wait to see the total outcome .... keep up the great work that you all do .. and sorry if i pissed anyone off :)

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
well i thank you for taking time to talk with me about this .. i do enjoy this game .. and can't wait to see the total outcome .... keep up the great work that you all do .. and sorry if i pissed anyone off :)
I don't think "pissed off" is the right phrasing. "Frustrated" might be better. We are definitely open to criticism, but as Jman says, it needs to be a bit more specific. The criticism you have given is so generic that it's not really helpful, with maybe the exception of wanting things easier, and Jman already addressed that one.

But if you could just give some specific examples of your other points it would be very helpful and would help to get a better understanding of where you are coming from.

And I'll also add that Goldo, the sole dev on the game, is not here on this board. He only hangs out on the game's home forum. That means that, if your complains are to reach him, they'll need to be relayed over there, and if we cannot understand where you are coming from in your complaints, it's impossible to pass them along.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I suggest to wait for 0.2 version and give it a try, without forgetting that each of us fans of this game can express our opinions; BK is improving mostly thanks to such interaction between Goldo and us.

About the content, well, there could be more things if we had more girl pack creators who add personalized dialogues and events, but I well know it requires some knowledge of renpy and the ability to write content, and least but not last a certain amount of free time to spend on it. Unfortuntely it's quite hard to get all three things at once :-(

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I suggest to wait for 0.2 version and give it a try, without forgetting that each of us fans of this game can express our opinions; BK is improving mostly thanks to such interaction between Goldo and us.

About the content, well, there could be more things if we had more girl pack creators who add personalized dialogues and events, but I well know it requires some knowledge of renpy and the ability to write content, and least but not last a certain amount of free time to spend on it. Unfortuntely it's quite hard to get all three things at once :-(
yeah again i'm sorry for not being really exact about my comment ... it was meant as an overall statement really .. my trouble is i love playing this game .. and when i get a traceback several times ,, well it gets agravating .. and i just came here to make that dumb comment ... you guys have done a great job ... altho i am correct about some of those girls i downloaded having just 2 traits , made me scratch my head as to why , but oh well... i bet i downloaded 120 girls already ... from that henthighschool site .... then from your guys mega sites .. dam theres a shit load of girls you guys made .. props to you guys for that (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Some girl packs may be obsolete or have some flaws and bugs, I suggest you to look at any error log you may get and figure out what's causing troubles; count on us if you need help for that, sometimes it's hard to find a bug's culprit if you don't know exaclty where to look at.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
altho i am correct about some of those girls i downloaded having just 2 traits , made me scratch my head as to why
Can you tell us which girls those were, that is, which girl pack they came from? Because it should be impossible to end up with less than 3 traits:
BKgirlclass.rpy said:
while len(new_traits) < 3:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i didn't think of writing down any of the girls names .. and i don't know if this traceback helps but i'll put it here :

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Girl names don't matter much, since knowing a girl is called e.g. 'Kinzi Yekora' is pretty useless for debugging. What matters is the 'original', i.e. the name of the pack. Maybe just go through your girl packs, find out which have _BK.ini files and report the pack names here. A more detailed report - like a save that has a girl with two traits - would be better, of course.

As to the traceback, that particular bug has been reported and fixed in 0.2.

Reactions: ImperialD

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
hmm couldn't find any _.bk.ini files on either of these girls only 2 i had show up so far ..
Beatrice Kushan & Makoto Kino

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I think Leortha's version of Jupiter does have a _BK.ini, but I can see nothing wrong there.

Do you have a save game with a girl who only has 2 traits? Doesn't matter if she's yours, on the market, in the streets, a runaway etc. If so, post the save here.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I think Leortha's version of Jupiter does have a _BK.ini, but I can see nothing wrong there.

Do you have a save game with a girl who only has 2 traits? Doesn't matter if she's yours, on the market, in the streets, a runaway etc. If so, post the save here.
both those girls where in the slave market

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
It's hard to debug anything as vague as this without a save, though. As I said before, this shouldn't be happening, unless something is removing traits from these girls or you're mistaken about something.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes