VN Ren'Py Abandoned California Bound [v0.0.6 early access] [Suo Mynona]

3.30 star(s) 4 Votes

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Since there's a lot of speculation and questions about where the story's going. Here's the change log for version 0.0.3 that's currently going through testing.

0.0.3:
  • Added new location, the underpass homeless camp. It can be found by exploring the city some more.
  • Added a new character, Zack. He can be found at the homeless camp.
  • Extended introduction sequence showing a scene with Emily's parents.
  • Tweaked waitress events to fix the early flirting. A higher level of corruption is now required before Emily automatically flirts.
  • Bug fixes and spelling corrections.
  • Background music added to some scenes.

Badboll

Aug 29, 2017
Are you aiming to make everything accessible in the same save, or will you need to restart a lot?
Restarting too much might make it tedious for the player.

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Are you aiming to make everything accessible in the same save, or will you need to restart a lot?
Restarting too much might make it tedious for the player.
I'm currently adding horizontal content to expand the initial available options. While nothing planned will invalidate the save data, you may decide a new play path is worth the restart.

Update 0.0.3 redid and expanded the intro sequence before you're dumped into the main game. Might be worth starting new to watch before going back to your saved game.

No path limiting options are in the game yet. Update 0.0.4 or 0.0.5 will introduce the first. It was supposed to be an early bad game ending, but feedback changed that into a plot pause until you figure out how to recover and choose one of the main paths.

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
No path limiting options are in the game yet. Update 0.0.4 or 0.0.5 will introduce the first. It was supposed to be an early bad game ending, but feedback changed that into a plot pause until you figure out how to recover and choose one of the main paths.
To clarify, this isn't the type of game where you have to save in case you make the wrong choice. There are several complete stories that branch off as the game progresses; however, each is a full story so a "bad" choice doesn't limit you. Some may take you on a side story or delay but none will lead to a incomplete end.

The goal is a game you play multiple times to see all the endings. I plan on introducing red text to flag a decision that branches between story paths. If you want, save then.

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
cs_interview_emily_kneel_blindfold.png
I've posted a request for feedback on my Patreon page, but I'd like to get feedback from this community as well.

Update 0.0.4 is turning out to include a whole lot more scene renders than I was expecting. My goal is still a Friday alpha testing release, but I doubt all the planned content will be ready by then.

What's done:
  • Prostitution is enabled at the coffee shop with a single scene that can be repeated with customers.
  • The non-submissive path "interview" for the job with Alex. Successfully completing this opens up prostitution and ability to work for "extra" tips regardless of income.
Rendered but needing scripted:
  • The submissive pet play path "interview" (see screenshot) with Alex is partially rendered and scripted. This looks like an extended all day scene...
  • The apartment tour with Max is rendered and needs scripted. To actually stay there will require more renders and scripting.
Planned for 0.0.4:
  • Spending the evening with Alex at his apartment.
  • Scripting Zack to have a life outside the camp (added in 0.0.3) and only be available after 6 PM. Later updates will add additional scenes around town such as Bill's bar.
So here is the choice I'm looking for feedback on. Do I push through to complete what I can by Friday, or complete all the features and release for alpha testing later this weekend?

Regardless, update 0.0.3 will shift to beta testing Friday, 15 Dec.

lockhear

Engaged Member
Oct 10, 2017
Speaking for myself - i can wait. Horniness is at acceptable level 7/10 :D . I don't want a heart attack from crashed game in the middle of sex scene.

DavidTurner

Oct 4, 2017
@suo_mynona the idea is very good and it appears you are very ambitious and have a lot planned, i do fear that you might "bite off more than you can chew" and end up abandoning it by becoming overwhelmed. Im not suggesting this is the case at all, i was just curious if you have an outline written down somewhere with all the various paths written down, you definitely have a great thing going with a lot of potential, which is becoming surprisingly rare with these games lately, its just my own personal fear. I will still follow this game with a lot of enthusiasm and cannot wait to see what future updates bring

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
@suo_mynona the idea is very good and it appears you are very ambitious and have a lot planned, i do fear that you might "bite off more than you can chew" and end up abandoning it by becoming overwhelmed. Im not suggesting this is the case at all, i was just curious if you have an outline written down somewhere with all the various paths written down, you definitely have a great thing going with a lot of potential, which is becoming surprisingly rare with these games lately, its just my own personal fear. I will still follow this game with a lot of enthusiasm and cannot wait to see what future updates bring
Yes, I actually used mind mapping software to keep track of the branches. If you look at an earlier post, each branch will go through the same basic 22 steps. It's actually easier than novel writing because there are no sub-plots to keep track of.

From the being overwhelmed point, I know what needs done and it's just a matter of breaking it into weekly chunks. I can plot out and write a 300000 word novel in a year, it's the scene rendering side that's throwing off my estimates. It's a fun change doing a branching story line than the normal plot-it-all-out novels I'm used to. If anything this is less complex because I can use the images to help tell the story.

If I can't generate enough support to do this full time, I'm used to time boxing and will continue this on the side. End result will be slower progress, not abandonment.

DavidTurner

Oct 4, 2017
Thats awesome @suo_mynona, i hope i didnt come off overly critical, if you have a handle on things then that is awesome, and it makes me look forward to it that much more.. as i said that was a slight concern of mine and you have more than put it to rest

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Thats awesome @suo_mynona, i hope i didnt come off overly critical, if you have a handle on things then that is awesome, and it makes me look forward to it that much more.. as i said that was a slight concern of mine and you have more than put it to rest
All good;) Didn't mean to sound harsh. Doing a game is something new for me. It's why I included the visual novel aspect so I have something familiar to work with. The apparent complexity isn't what will trip me up. It's learning the 3D art, using images versus text to tell a story, and learning programming that will trip me.

The reason I'm using RenPy is to reduce the issues around programming. It's also why I've not attempted to create a custom UI yet. As I learn more, I'll add those features. In 0.0.3 you'll see unused images where I'm attempting to build that custom UI.

The 3D art aspect seems to be my biggest challenge. Learning the tool to create realistic poses and good scene renders is slowly improving. It's estimating the number of images required that's throwing off my timeline. I didn't like how in update 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 the images were static throughout a dialog sequence so in 0.0.3 I added more renders per dialog. I plan on going back to the content in 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 to add extra images. I even did an animated sex scene in 0.0.3, though I didn't like how the few frames made the animation jerk. I like the look of more images and now in 0.0.4 there are about 5x more images per scene.

That is what threw off my estimates, live and learn.

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Update 0.0.4 has entered alpha testing. Update 0.0.3 is in beta testing and should be released end of next weekend. The poll for update 0.0.5 content development just closed and development of update 0.0.5 has begun. I have just posted a poll on my Patreon page for what should be added during 0.0.6 with this poll closing when update 0.0.5 is finished. Feel free to head on to the page and vote if you're already a supporter (0.0.3 & 0.0.4 download links are available for those who volunteered for alpha or beta testing).

I'd also like this community's feedback so here is the poll for your comment and feedback:
  • Bill's bar scenes
  • Max apartment content
  • Hotel scenes
  • UI development (Achievements, toggle attributes panel, Emily status icon)

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, I actually used mind mapping software to keep track of the branches. If you look at an earlier post, each branch will go through the same basic 22 steps. It's actually easier than novel writing because there are no sub-plots to keep track of.

From the being overwhelmed point, I know what needs done and it's just a matter of breaking it into weekly chunks. I can plot out and write a 300000 word novel in a year, it's the scene rendering side that's throwing off my estimates. It's a fun change doing a branching story line than the normal plot-it-all-out novels I'm used to. If anything this is less complex because I can use the images to help tell the story.

If I can't generate enough support to do this full time, I'm used to time boxing and will continue this on the side. End result will be slower progress, not abandonment.
Awesome, I'm really glad to read this.
Take the game I have on my signature as an example of a really really talented creator: a fuckton of branches for the player (rarely mutually exclusive, often just modify events\dialogues\relations\graphic representation of the MC), very well written and extensive dialogues and internal monologues, a wide variety of characters and situations, a moral system.
I'm gonna wait for you to shape up the game a little more then I'm gonna try it and hopefully pledge, keep up the good work ;)

suo_mynona

Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
If you're wondering why this thread shows version 0.0.3 and my itch.io page still shows 0.0.2. I'll be pushing 0.0.3 to Itch.io this Friday. Wanted to give everyone a sneak peek as a way of saying thanks for the feedback.

- Suo

Reactions: Twistty

TheFapper2

Sep 6, 2017
This project has a lot to delivery, and I'm very curious. Hope that you can get done all that you're planning, OP!

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
Emily working in undies/naked is implemented yet? She can't work anymore at the coffe shop and sleeping with Zack isn't increasing submission anymore. What am I doing wrong here

edgedy

Aug 15, 2017
On the sex scene with Zack, there's a little too much focus on the penis. I'm just saying I'd like to see more girl shots. >.>

Reactions: Stakos

Stakos

Jun 24, 2017
Nice game but not lots of content so far. After 2-3 days of work the bartender tells you that there's no work so you can't do anything. Waiting for the next update...

blastwave2k

Jun 23, 2017
Emily working in undies/naked is implemented yet? She can't work anymore at the coffe shop and sleeping with Zack isn't increasing submission anymore. What am I doing wrong here
my guess is that part isnt implemented yet. game is pretty new (2 weeks i think), but dev is crazy active and rolling out updates like a madman. will keep a watch on this for now and play more later when its a few updates in i think. so far i'm liking.

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
my guess is that part isnt implemented yet. game is pretty new (2 weeks i think), but dev is crazy active and rolling out updates like a madman. will keep a watch on this for now and play more later when its a few updates in i think. so far i'm liking.
Yeah, me too. I lot of potential.

3.30 star(s) 4 Votes