TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
It's an invasion of privacy and even though this has existed for years it doesn't make it any less controversial especially when you think about it, why the hell do these companies need kernel level access to begin with?...

Anyways rant aside... sounds like the steam users are kinda getting ripped off and are left waiting months upon for an update.
The DRM for this game is luckily much simpler than that. The launcher that downloads the game from Patreon saves some data about your account and subscription to your computer, in your user data folder. When the game launches, it looks for and verifies some of that saved data. If the data checks out, it proceeds to the title screen. If it isn't, it just shows you a warning about not having a subscription instead.

Basically just a modern take on the classic "we need a password from the game manual" BS you'd get in the 90s.

Dark918

Mar 4, 2021
as it is rn the ue4 is the only version worth paying for though why do that when its right here just saying, and i don't know which steam version of ue5 is the one on here i'm just curious if the patreon version which is apparently further then the steam version though i heard its a bugfest, does it even have any more content then the steam version to at least consider becoming a sub just to play it.

ue5 build has potential as it is rn it just seems to be mostly emptiness which is fair since its still very early, i only tried it for the pregnancy mechanic which is not worth it rn. i prob should have just chose the ue4 version from the start since that has far more content in it and is a more "complete" game in comparison but regardless... seems like the storyline is completely different and in the u4 version there doesn't seem to be entire towns taken over by cursed ones like in the ue5 build, maybe the new direction is more of a apocalypse style? where you explore a world that is taken over by a plague of a curse that can turn those around into zombie statue things really seems like that is the direction the game is taken... but I'm sure some unaffected towns or cities will be added in the future that are mostly safe from the cursed.
the next update will also be applied to steam. i havent paid for the steam version, i usually just check into patreon every once and a while to see if theres any changes. you're probably better off with the steam version atm. ue5 isnt that different from ue4 story wise, it just starts much earlier. alot of ue4 is supposed to be mid to late game content. once the game is more fleshed out they'll probably start porting and working the ue4 stuff into the current game

desireloading

May 18, 2019
Hello to all of you. I hope you can help me. Basically, I'm new to this game and I honestly wanted to know a few things. For example, how does the character customization system work? How can I access the elements to customize it? If possible, I would also like to know what the big difference is between the two versions of the game corresponding to Unreal Engine 4 and 5, respectively. I've looked at the chat for this game a bit and there seem to be considerable differences, but as I mentioned, I'm a new player and don't know much. I hope you can help me and explain. Thank you in advance.
tkanks...

MysteryBlob

Feb 10, 2020
tkanks...
In short, the UE5 version is them remaking the game pretty much from the beginning. The UE4 version still has a lot more content at the moment, but UE5 has some new features like pregnancy.

As for accessing customization, in the UE5 version you need to advance to a certain point in the game until you can customize your character. I think you could customise it from the start in the UE4 version, but it's been a while since I played it so I might be misremembering.

I hope that helps, even if only a little.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
any news yet?
Nothing regarding the Steam update. They've been going full steam ahead on DSS 2.0 work and have been sharing new stuff and sex scene related polls in the Discord. It makes me assume (and again, this is an assumption) that this build was so unstable that they'd prefer to just hold off on the Steam update until they can launch it with the new sex system and new sex scenes.

Dec 19, 2021
Nothing regarding the Steam update. They've been going full steam ahead on DSS 2.0 work and have been sharing new stuff and sex scene related polls in the Discord. It makes me assume (and again, this is an assumption) that this build was so unstable that they'd prefer to just hold off on the Steam update until they can launch it with the new sex system and new sex scenes.
Thanks for the info ;)

aisareteinai

Nov 3, 2022
So you're saying you'd prefer they give you the unfinished product full of crashes, freezes, broken quests, and save corruption? Or would you complain when they did that too? This isn't a case of them sitting on unfinished content or simply not working and raking in the cash. The new update that Patreon subscribers have access to does have plenty of new content. It also isn't anywhere near ready for release, QA-wise. So they can't give it to Steam players who were promised a stable product as part of the marketing pitch, until they have a stable product to deliver.
When you make a promise, you have to follow through on it. They're failing on multiple promises here. The promise to release at least four major updates a year, the promise to release an update last month, and the promise to launch it simultaneously across platforms. I'd take a buggy release if it meant I actually got something when I'm waiting two months past the expected update deadline.

They won't even tell people on Steam what's going on, and expect you to go to Discord to get information that should be made as a Steam announcement.

"There won't be an update this month."
Silence.
"The update will release next month,"
Silence.
"The update will launch whenever we fix the bugs."
Silence.
"We're working towards a new major update."
Radio Fucking Silence

I actually bought the game, because I wanted the playtime tracker and better download speeds, but it's been a waste of money since they can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of what's expected from a developer on Steam, actually posting information on Steam.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
When you make a promise, you have to follow through on it. They're failing on multiple promises here. The promise to release at least four major updates a year, the promise to release an update last month, and the promise to launch it simultaneously across platforms. I'd take a buggy release if it meant I actually got something when I'm waiting two months past the expected update deadline.

They won't even tell people on Steam what's going on, and expect you to go to Discord to get information that should be made as a Steam announcement.

"There won't be an update this month."
Silence.
"The update will release next month,"
Silence.
"The update will launch whenever we fix the bugs."
Silence.
"We're working towards a new major update."
Radio Fucking Silence

I actually bought the game, because I wanted the playtime tracker and better download speeds, but it's been a waste of money since they can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of what's expected from a developer on Steam, actually posting information on Steam.
I've not only seen game devs but tried it as a hobby and still dabble. I've seen studios small and big over time with varied results across them. Here's the deal.

Dealing with tech and making stuff usually by corporate standards requires having more labor power, skill, and time than actually needed so when you promise to release regularly you're pushing such overpowered resources to the deadline that you'd effectively never miss it. Yes, what I told you is a big dream standard only triple A giants with huge budgets have. They don't accept less-than-optimal workers or results, hence news these days being filled with whole studios getting closed or purged of employees in a hire-and-fire loop that's way busier than you expect.

So what do you do if you're a smallfry and you have staff that are learning as you go? Delays and bugs. Pick your poison.

So lets start with bugs. Bugs are fine to players so long as it's a "hehehe, look at the land insect flying in their air!" kind of thing. They're not so nice when you bake a bugged and useless player character and un-restorable broken quests into your game's save files with no recourse. To put it this way, releasing a week early can wipe out a month of your progress. And the amount of player progress potentially wiped compounds over time since your previous release.

So now lets talk about delays. They spawn the usual "these devs are stealing our money" kind of complaint. I get it, trust me. I bet they wouldn't want to rob you because getting press for an awesome game full of content released and complete with good reviews now is more profitable and encouraging than only have a hollow shell with lack of attention. But some people fall to the seemingly insurmountable wall of effort and the grim chance of the project's survival and wrongly choose to let it linger as they lose motivation to put in the commitment that paying customers rightfully earn with their dollar. You'd only see who is right or wrong based on the release volume versus the donor platform (i.e., patreon) stats for money collected.

It's a thing to treat with moderation and your stance on this issue usually depends on how much work you've immersed yourself in of this nature. If you've always been a pure consumer you will always speak as a pure consumer and demand what you perceive the collective money has earned right now, as promised to you. If you've done work like this you side with the creators who are probably burning out, losing sleep over this, feeling guilty and stressed over this. A person's stance in this issue is heavily subjective through relationship with the issue.

I recommend having them go about 45 days slow before you harass them, because if they promise regular updates then about 50% of the time extra between updates is a good enough time for them to struggle with their implementation before you get to tell them, "dude, you're really late, what's up"?

And about the radio silence, unfortunately it tends to work better unless someone's a skilled community manager. Game devs regularly go full-blown YandereDev if they check and reply to their own fanbase too regularly with too much sensitivity. They socialize and argue instead of do work. They take offense to criticism which may or may not be helpful, may or may not be too hostile, etc. Programmers aren't particularly good socializers in my experience and their habit of considering a lot at once is good for feature engineering and debugging but terrible for keeping track of work while they're talking to fans too. I pity everyone both fans and devs alike here. It's never pretty when you don't have the labor power to get it all done on time every time.

Last edited:

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
So now lets talk about delays. They spawn the usual "these devs are stealing our money" kind of complaint.
An important consideration here:

This game has been in public development since October 2020. In that timeframe, they have been late on updates a few times, including this latest Patreon update. To the best of my knowledge, they've never released a Patreon update more than a day after a specified deadline.

Similarly, this is the first time in those three and a half years of public development where they've outright not delivered an update, for either Steam or Patreon. I did some searching on their Discord and this is what the devs and their moderators have said regarding the currently missing Steam update:

1715648067881.png

Note that this isn't a dev, that's one of their moderators instead. But the devs have not contradicted or removed the message.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that some of y'all are super quick to assume maliciousness and ignore a game's history. These devs have a history of running right up to and slightly past deadlines. They also have a history of pretty significant QA issues with game updates. Taken together, it's 100% believable to me that this update (which I've tried and seen the massive wave of bug reports for) is too buggy for them to consider viable for a Steam release. Especially in light of the fact that unlike Patreon users, Steam users are promised a reasonably tested and functional product.

Personally, I'd rather look forward to DSS and its improved features. Things like actual freecam (this is an explicitly promised feature for DSS 2.0) and dynamically applied mess:

mess.png

desireloading

May 18, 2019
In short, the UE5 version is them remaking the game pretty much from the beginning. The UE4 version still has a lot more content at the moment, but UE5 has some new features like pregnancy.

As for accessing customization, in the UE5 version you need to advance to a certain point in the game until you can customize your character. I think you could customise it from the start in the UE4 version, but it's been a while since I played it so I might be misremembering.

I hope that helps, even if only a little.
Thank you very much for answering me, I felt ignored when I posted that XD

Reactions: MysteryBlob

Nightm763

Nov 30, 2020
Damn I think UE5 has a lot of changes in the game, read it in the wiki
Welp that's a sad news for me that can only play the UE4
Time to crawl to my bed again and cry

Aug 8, 2017
And about the radio silence, unfortunately it tends to work better unless someone's a skilled community manager. Game devs regularly go full-blown YandereDev if they check and reply to their own fanbase too regularly with too much sensitivity.
For an object lesson in this, just look to how Arrowhead Studios has been handling Helldivers 2. That game outgrew what the CMs were ready for and it shows. Having an official discord that the devs use as their primary means of outside communication works fine for super indie games, but falls off a cliff as the playerbase grows.

Reactions: JustAl

aisareteinai

Nov 3, 2022
And about the radio silence, unfortunately it tends to work better unless someone's a skilled community manager.
I'm not even asking for community interaction, I'm asking for them to actually post information to the store page, because that's where it's supposed to be. They have the information, they just refuse to post it on Steam. Any information about updates and their delays should be posted to the Steam page.

Reactions: freshi85

Kinamori

Jul 17, 2023
Hey, if you still have the old UE4 version before it updated to UE5, could you please send it to me? My potato PC can't handle the UE5ver.

4.00 star(s) 79 Votes