JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
so UE4 ver of this game is really abandoned?
Yes, as sad as it is.
welp here comes the tears of a poor human being
game still one of the best I played though
thanks for the hours of gameplay
peace out
View attachment 3674982
What scares me from a gamedev perspective is that if you do migrate to a newer engine to build up your game better, fans will pine for the old game because it was further along. From a development perspective, it's not only about adding new features but recognizing core features that are broken or built on top bugged and poorly optimized code to the degree that managing it further is a chore.

I've seen multiple games die from updating to a newer engine. I've seen some games live better switching to a new engine but so far only under the circumstance that the old game was so broken it was unlivable. The happiest medium are games that release with somewhat incomplete features on an old engine, and the winning idea past that point is to make game #2. Note that many games that are considered good have a 2nd game, and said sequel is usually the best game. I'm not exactly sure if that holds true past 2 games, hence the meme that Valve can't count past 2.

If I had to guess, it's because game #1 had all the concepts fleshed out but arrived with inferior implementation, and was released on-time and " " " complete " " ", being clean enough to sell but lacking in many things the devs wanted to have, including cut story content. Game 2 comes out supported largely by the cut story content, meshed together to tell the original story but bigger, building not only the old good systems but making good new systems and getting rid of bad issues. Fans seem to love it because it's more game, but better, and the original game got released.

Pathologic is a good example of this among many other examples, because it's so peculiar. Ugly looks, ugly music, golden story, but held back by horrible jank. The "sequel" is largely a remake, but everything's better. It lives up to the original vision better. In these cases game #1 is like an early alpha that gets packaged and sold, and game #2 is the original intended product. Note that the team still struggled a lot with money, to the degree they had to make mobile games just to cover the cost of Pathologic 2.

So why not do a game 3? Story got spent, good ideas got spent, it's all too similar to justify making. Going with a crap story, repeated content, new content that's arguably worse, and perhaps even greed-incentivizing from your management is bound to kill your product. Hence there's no game #3.

In this situation I would say the dev should release first, but that manifests the problems of underwhelmed audience actively avoiding a sequel and big studios seeing its potential and absolutely plagiarizing it to make a better game since they can recognize what's weak and invest effort strategically to beat the original. However releasing is still typically better than starting over during development because it avoids fans ghosting from expecting the project to die before release. Unless you suspect your entire team will abandon further development from being forced to release a weak game, then you drag out development like this.

It's not an easy situation but I just recommend you wait. Lots of choices for games out there. I understand they want to make a game and as the team is holding up now it's likely they'll work on it. Small chance they'll abandon. Timeliness? Late is better than abandoned. Slower dev tends to live longer.

Last edited:

Tontongundar

Sep 12, 2021
It's not an easy situation but I just recommend you wait. Lots of choices for games out there. I understand they want to make a game and as the team is holding up now it's likely they'll work on it. Small chance they'll abandon. Timeliness? Late is better than abandoned. Slower dev tends to live longer.
Tbh, chances are WW3 will be here before the game gets out of pre-alpha stage. Jokes aside, even if they do end up completing their project, I'll probably have forgotten about it. I'm not gonna wait a decade to play a game. So, either they downgrade the scale and work on a less ambitious project (which they had with the UE4 build) or they ACTUALLY use the EA Steam feature for once (that was the point on putting the game on Steam in the first place) and work from there with the Steam playerbase feedback and provide the advertised 3 months builds per year.

At the end of the day, the real problem here is them using Steam as a billboard to get people to their Patreon and since there is this Patreon trend that's been here for a while where you get money by doing bare minimum work, it's really hard to be optimistic.

Really missing those days where devs were more interested in giving something new and fresh and enjoyed working on a game rather than working in the industry to only rack in the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikiDrive

aisareteinai

Nov 3, 2022
What scares me from a gamedev perspective is that if you do migrate to a newer engine to build up your game better, fans will pine for the old game because it was further along. From a development perspective, it's not only about adding new features but recognizing core features that are broken or built on top bugged and poorly optimized code to the degree that managing it further is a chore.
The problem really isn't that they upgraded the engine, it's that UE5 is so vastly different in gameplay. UE4's general gameplay feels a lot like Skyrim, but UE5's more like Dark Souls. It's somewhat sluggish, harder to control your character, and combat feels like it wasn't even tested, because some features don't even seem like they work properly.

Where a game has done engine upgrade right however, is Stardew Valley. At no point does it ever completely change any mechanics, only improve and add new features.

Or if you want an Early Access example, the Project Diva (not-quite-a) fangame: Project Heartbeat. Its most recent update, upgraded the engine to Godot4, and improved the input handling so that the game reads them more accurately. On the surface, it looks no different from the previous version, and that's can actually be a good thing, but some developers don't understand that upgrading doesn't mean that you have to change everything.

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
[...] even if they do end up completing their project, I'll probably have forgotten about it. I'm not gonna wait a decade to play a game. So, either they downgrade the scale and work on a less ambitious project (which they had with the UE4 build) or they ACTUALLY use the EA Steam feature for once (that was the point on putting the game on Steam in the first place) and work from there with the Steam playerbase feedback and provide the advertised 3 months builds per year.

At the end of the day, the real problem here is them using Steam as a billboard to get people to their Patreon and since there is this Patreon trend that's been here for a while where you get money by doing bare minimum work, it's really hard to be optimistic.

Really missing those days where devs were more interested in giving something new and fresh and enjoyed working on a game rather than working in the industry to only rack in the money.
Sadly, , as says Nintendo. Standards have risen since the greats stay forever, what hasn't been tried is quickly taken for projects, and much of what's new fails due to unexpected problems. Players will unfortunately wait literally decades for certain game releases, as is the case with Elder Scrolls 6 (currently about 13 years), Baldur's Gate 3 (about 20 years), Duke Nukem Forever (over 14 years), Star Citizen (expected to die before its release in 30 years), etc. You have to lower your standards to the point where developers don't feel afraid, meanwhile Triple A studios have lowered their standards exactly so, people buy their overpriced half-assed work because advertising with a big name and flashy media will force it through to be spread by the masses. I can see why they want to try hard. They want to be seen.

I had to take a bit longer to think about the patreon problem. Steam regulates developers firmly, and patreon doesn't. That's problematic, I agree. Unfortunately for some projects, "new and fresh" definitely takes a long time.

I'd even call those projects "cursed", the kind of concept that arrives to you in an intense dream one day, haunts your memories for years, and will always be hard to get support for as the details are so different from what people know they would like that you can't even talk about it to most without a strong set of ready concepts to present and probably something playable and attractive to boot.

The problem really isn't that they upgraded the engine, it's that UE5 is so vastly different in gameplay. UE4's general gameplay feels a lot like Skyrim, but UE5's more like Dark Souls. It's somewhat sluggish, harder to control your character, and combat feels like it wasn't even tested, because some features don't even seem like they work properly.

Where a game has done engine upgrade right however, is Stardew Valley. At no point does it ever completely change any mechanics, only improve and add new features.

Or if you want an Early Access example, the Project Diva (not-quite-a) fangame: Project Heartbeat. Its most recent update, upgraded the engine to Godot4, and improved the input handling so that the game reads them more accurately. On the surface, it looks no different from the previous version, and that's can actually be a good thing, but some developers don't understand that upgrading doesn't mean that you have to change everything.
Your post brings me unexpected nostalgia. Before Skyrim there was Oblivion, Morrowind, and Daggerfall. You can say standards there were lower from a technical view, but Morrowind had the best story and atmosphere, Oblivion had the most fun combat speed, and Daggerfall had the best dungeon exploration. Half-Life 2, its episodes, and Alyx came out but people still play HL1 and its multiplayer mode for its uniquely frantic flow. People still return to those games to this day. They're not the market majority, but checking game dev news recently it seems there's hype for retro-inspired projects like the (inspired by HL1), (inspired by Hexen / HL1 / Souls), (inspired by Daggerfall).

As for souls games, Dark Souls broke the media around action games like broke theatre for about a century and became a foundational inspiration for techniques in film. I personally don't care for soulsborne as a comparison term because not only does it make consumer talk dumber by skipping specific nuances of the game they're actually talking about, but it makes game development dumber as games like Lies of P really dive into the mentality of this actually being the kind of game people really want, and they make a clone that feels too close to the original comparison item so everyone's passionless about its reception.

The rest of your post intrigues me, you seem to have a point about graphical fidelity. For example, Terraria has been around forever and still goes strong. Graphically it's aged poorly but the game itself has flourished even despite competition from ex-staff in Starbound (which died horribly in $#% circumstances).

Your examples are pretty sound. Yes, I'm glad Godot is seeing use instead of Unity and input handling is more important than people give credit for in responsive games.

What worries me from a gamedev perspective is the conscious decision to make the game "better" by changing things that might have worked well enough to draw an audience already. Like an author might change their story ending yet people actually liked how the story ended, to change gameplay is something that will bother people - rightfully - because it had merit. It's like looking back at your work and thinking that the new way was the way it should've been, but the old way was what people enjoyed even if it clashed with your vision.

I personally enjoy the slower and methodical pace of a "souls" game approach, but as I said, I had great fun with Oblivion even with its weak story because the dungeons were fun (better than Skyrim's), and the combat flowed at a speed such that it felt like a boomer-shooter if you spawned a bunch of enemies in an area and everyone had high agility. Yeah, I'm pretty sure paladins in armor aren't supposed to move as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog and swing claymores as fast as kids hyped on breakfast cereal on Christmas morning will swing empty gift wrapping cardboard tubes at each other, but... it felt fun, not gonna lie. It's like that.

So I'm sorry for your loss. I resolved to only sticking with the new game to playtest efficiently what is being worked on without being biased by the old version, but you have a solid point.

I think in times like this the developers would make a new system that's in between the old systems. The developers of MOBAs tend to do this more often. Especially the ones with constant balance issues, for better and worse. In short, system A is fun, system B is less fun to some, and system C blends the good of both. Hopefully balance is good enough that no further patching is needed. Yeah, that's tough to uphold. That's the way to do it though.

Last edited:

Tontongundar

Sep 12, 2021
A lot of quoting, sorry about that. Also sorry if it's a bit off topic, some stuff was interesting so bear with me.

Sadly, , as says Nintendo.
Nintendo isn't really a good example, they've lost they ways for a while now. Plus, with the recent changes they did (see Pokemon GO, Paper Mario, etc...) and seeing them bending the knees to woke stuff, this is not the Nintendo from my childhood anymore.

much of what's new fails due to unexpected problems.
Most of the new stuff fails because it's bad, plain and simple. Seeing the recent statistics showing that gamers are playing mostly older titles and boycotting new ones is pretty much telling.

Duke Nukem Forever (over 14 years)
And the result was an absolute dogshit game.

Star Citizen (expected to die before its release in 30 years)
Let's be honest here, that thing is a literal scam. There won't be any game ever.

You have to lower your standards
Oh trust me, my standards are already as low as they can get, especially with this DEI bullshit becoming the norm on the AAA scene (and even starting to rot the indie one). That's pretty much why I haven't bought a single AAA title in a decade.

people buy their overpriced half-assed work because advertising with a big name and flashy media will force it through to be spread by the masses.
No, people buy because people are stupid. "Must consume !", people being stupid isn't something new.

All right, I had fun with this little back and forth. I'll stop here to not derail the thread further.

Reactions: Anon6420

Uncommonnickel

Feb 20, 2020
I think a lot of is that these types of games (patreon or any game that's funded by subscribers) have a bad track record for getting abandoned or being stuck in a weird development limbo. Now I'm not saying that there isn't people that rag on these games in bad faith, but I believe that a lot people have just been burned in the past or have just seen said people get burned from a distance and echo the sentiment of "this is just never gonna release" or "their milking subscribers" hell this thread itself has had these same conversations of doubt. Do I think these devs are leading people along with the hopes that they'll game eventually? no. But its hard for a lot of people to not be jaded and not immediately get put off when they see the whole engine switch. I think its smart and probably less work in the long run with all the extra stuff that ue5 can do out of the box, its also a red flag for a lot of those who been let down in the past.
I'm sorry for rambling like this for what is a pirate site but I just wanted to put out there that I don't think that a lot of is inherently malicious.

Reactions: JustAl

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
I think a lot of is that these types of games (patreon or any game that's funded by subscribers) have a bad track record for getting abandoned or being stuck in a weird development limbo. Now I'm not saying that there isn't people that rag on these games in bad faith, but I believe that a lot people have just been burned in the past or have just seen said people get burned from a distance and echo the sentiment of "this is just never gonna release" or "their milking subscribers" hell this thread itself has had these same conversations of doubt. Do I think these devs are leading people along with the hopes that they'll game eventually? no. But its hard for a lot of people to not be jaded and not immediately get put off when they see the whole engine switch. I think its smart and probably less work in the long run with all the extra stuff that ue5 can do out of the box, its also a red flag for a lot of those who been let down in the past.
I'm sorry for rambling like this for what is a pirate site but I just wanted to put out there that I don't think that a lot of is inherently malicious.
That's fine, it's what most of us think. Patreon is a way to get things done but it lacks accountability. On the other hand, Steam isn't so great after all since it was recently confirmed that . I have seen Epic transfer games from one account to another, but they delete the source account first. GOG seems to be best retailer overall for not having DRM in their games, but I don't recall them having a method to support devs who want to start a game and find early access players.

However I must say, it has been mentioned in the forum rules that development talk just derails threads and thus it's not allowed. Such talk mostly adds no content, and it'll go on for pages being periodically interrupted by requests to upload the new game version that so many people were saying wasn't going to come anytime soon, etc.

Makaron22

May 15, 2024
Steam will have no update for UE4 version it seems, as this platform abandoned already.
I have no idea why if the patch is not available to Steam as platform is abandoned either way.
Just asked if somebody knows hwat the difference is..

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
you seriously telling me out of all the females in this game: only 1%, or one person can get pregnant that isnt the main character in the U5 engine????

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
btw: how does carnal instinct even work? it doesn't even do anything but change the sky's color.

Poggersq

May 2, 2022

The next Major Content Update will be coming out June 1st!

Hey Everyone!

It's been too long, no really, this wasn't supposed to be this long. The next Steam Major Content Update will be dropping June 1st. Along with the update we'll be doing a big blog post with everything we added, updated and fixed, but here's the highlights in a mini-dev blog while we iron out the last of the bugs. Other than the Initial Unreal Engine 5 build, this was easily our biggest update we've done, with new systems, mapping, quests, NPCs.

New Systems
  • Slavery
  • Magic
  • Fishing
  • Shade Sight
  • World Events

New Faction - The Gilded Fold
Coming along with a huge new map expansion, slavery mechanics and 3 faction quests, the Gilded Fold are now in Sabu.
Players will get their first look at the walled-gardens of these flesh-traders, hinting at the questline to come. Initially you'll be able to sell slaves to the Gilded Fold, eventually gaining enough reputation to make use of their cages and chains to obtain slaves of your own.

The initial slavery tutorial quest will be part of the update, with the rest of the chain arriving after DSS 2.0 (for reasons that are fairly easy to imagine).

New Side Quests
  • No Rest for the Wicked(Revamped)
  • Depths of Kab'Alrah

New POIs
  • Hermitess Inquisitor.
  • An aging warrior that seeks a fitting end.
  • Ikkemi Villa - a Side Quest Coming there Soon

New Sex Scenes
Three very frustrated centaurs have become stranded on south Medhen Island and I can confirm that you can have Intimate Relations with all three Centaurs as any Form (Minus Formless).

All this and more! Full details will be listed in the Update Blog next Saturday!

Thanks for your support!

Team Carnal Instinct

So there we have it. The much-delayed Steam update comes out in about a week, and we get a bigger post in a few days. Once the update is out, just make an update request over on the Game Requests subforum to get this page updated.
and what's preg content like?

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
We've had that in the UE5 build for a while now and nothing has changed on that front since the version available here on this thread.
yeah i took another look at the wiki, but only not from the U5 perspective, as it says you can only impregnate 1 person apart from the female MC.

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
are devs currently porting the stuff/assets from U4 to U5?
anyways: hidden gem. seeing as how this is a game that by game play: is never supposed to end, i'm hoping that the content can be plentiful. also
how much is cut from unreal engine 4 to unreal engine five in terms of content?

bHook

Oct 16, 2018
Team Carnal Instinct
CHANGELOG

Fixed

Fixed Ahmek going for a walk

Fixed Rocks, trees and landscape that defied gravity

Fixed Amonhoteph refusing to talk

Fixed Hermitesss Inquisitor sitting, giving you her item and dialog

Fixed Overly aggressive bushes

Fixed Issues with Amara

Fixed Optimization issues with some users

Fixed Temerah causing crashes

Fixed issues with Slavery Cages

Fixed Yellow fruit not appearing on lower foliage settings

Fixed Lost and Found

Fixed The kill plane in Alrah dungeon not...killing players...

Fixed a bug where if you started dialog with your capture jar out, you could break the camera and dialog

Fixed Issues with the Swim HUD

Fixed Collision issues with Crocodiles, Rocks, Cushions, Foliage and More.

Fixed Audio Options

Fixed Issues with Home from Home being partially auto-completed

Fixed Issues with Multi-Pickup and Pickupables duping

Fixed A bunch of minor typos and misc bits and bobs

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Team Carnal Instinct
CHANGELOG

Fixed

Fixed Ahmek going for a walk

Fixed Rocks, trees and landscape that defied gravity

Fixed Amonhoteph refusing to talk

Fixed Hermitesss Inquisitor sitting, giving you her item and dialog

Fixed Overly aggressive bushes

Fixed Issues with Amara

Fixed Optimization issues with some users

Fixed Temerah causing crashes

Fixed issues with Slavery Cages

Fixed Yellow fruit not appearing on lower foliage settings

Fixed Lost and Found

Fixed The kill plane in Alrah dungeon not...killing players...

Fixed a bug where if you started dialog with your capture jar out, you could break the camera and dialog

Fixed Issues with the Swim HUD

Fixed Collision issues with Crocodiles, Rocks, Cushions, Foliage and More.

Fixed Audio Options

Fixed Issues with Home from Home being partially auto-completed

Fixed Issues with Multi-Pickup and Pickupables duping

Fixed A bunch of minor typos and misc bits and bobs
How'd you even manage that spacing? Even when I copy-paste from Patreon with no changes I wind up with this:

v0.5.160 Buglist Release Notes

Hi Everyone!

Since the , I've updated the game about 6 times but we haven't made any posts about it, lots of little bugfixes, I just wanted to let you all know if you got stuck on a certain section what we've been working on, we hope you enjoyed all the new content.

(As always, you can get Game Support in the #Game-Support channel in discord, please report bugs in #bug-reports and you can email us with screenshots at support@carnal-instinct.com)

Thank you all for your bug reports and your support!

Team Carnal Instinct

CHANGELOG

Fixed
  • Fixed Ahmek going for a walk
  • Fixed Rocks, trees and landscape that defied gravity
  • Fixed Amonhoteph refusing to talk
  • Fixed Hermitesss Inquisitor sitting, giving you her item and dialog
  • Fixed Overly aggressive bushes
  • Fixed Issues with Amara
  • Fixed Optimization issues with some users
  • Fixed Temerah causing crashes
  • Fixed issues with Slavery Cages
  • Fixed Yellow fruit not appearing on lower foliage settings
  • Fixed Lost and Found
  • Fixed The kill plane in Alrah dungeon not...killing players...
  • Fixed a bug where if you started dialog with your capture jar out, you could break the camera and dialog
  • Fixed Issues with the Swim HUD
  • Fixed Collision issues with Crocodiles, Rocks, Cushions, Foliage and More.
  • Fixed Audio Options
  • Fixed Issues with Home from Home being partially auto-completed
  • Fixed Issues with Multi-Pickup and Pickupables duping
  • Fixed A bunch of minor typos and misc bits and bobs

4.00 star(s) 85 Votes