Congressman Weiner

Jul 29, 2018
This, "female/male room mate" is the way to go, and "landlady"
Agreed and better for those of us who think the incest stuff is just creepy. I've seen other games where there is a (not so secret) mod where you can change that

Nice artwork. Will check it out.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
I'm enjoying this, but I think the game's script has a problem of not giving the charachters a distinct enough speaking style,

One really important way to make the girls feel more vibrant and unique is to give each of them their own speaking style that mirrors their personality. To an extent, some of the girls already have this. The meme-lord girl in particular. But, many of the other girls, including the sister and the korean friend have really boring speaky styles.

Some things to consider:

- What is the vocabulary of the girl like is? Is it complex or simple?
- What kind of slang does a character use?
- If a charachter is foreign, how is their english? If it's bad do they ever slip into native words? Do they sometimes forget English words, even if they are fluent?
- Are they talkative or quiet?
- How complicated is the syntax they use?
- What is their usual emotional state? Do they show emotion through language use heavily?

Thinking through and making sure that each girl has a *distinct* dialogue style will help you make them be more engaging.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Hi. Lately I've been studying a lot of contrast concepts. I took one of your drawings and did an auto contrast in photoshop, then lowered the saturation a bit. Here are the results for comparison.

Low Contrast Original (Left) - High Contrast Photoshopped (Right)
before.jpg after.jpg

High Contrast Photoshopped, but with lower saturation to match original image.
after - less saturation.jpg

I have a gut feeling your art looks completely fine on your monitor, but your monitor isn't calibrated. So the contrast may look fine on your monitor, but on other people's monitors there is a clear contrast issue.

Do this in photoshop:
1. Open your image.
2. Click Auto Contrast
3. Lower Saturation until it looks right.

Then calibrate your monitor as soon as possible.

You draw excellent art by the way. I like your art so much that I couldn't help myself and wanted to help, take care!

Oct 8, 2019
Oh you know I haven't forgotten about the update. SO! First off and I haven't gone back to double-check but the blinking Pepe button Aster wears is HILARIOUS! Only noticed that by accident but love the detail. Next, Scarlett is simply amazing and I would have said that even without her little surprise. I must ask, is Ester's little adventure going to be a plot point in the future? Also not to be that guy but given that I live outside of Chicago and you gave Eva's address as right in Cook County, side note cue excited noises when I read that, but y'all do know that Illinois made marijuana legal right? Granted the politician can be into other substances. I only mention that one as Ester mentioned that one in particular.

Now for some speculation. But are you guys building towards some type of sandbox in the future? I only ask as each release seems to introduce people and activities but doesn't let us do much with what we find. This wouldn't be a problem if you guys are, I am just curious. Also, is Scarlett the last girl or will there be more to be introduced? Again, not a problem, just curious. Random idea but given the location now and Ellie's look, I think it would be awesome if she cosplayed as Princess Zelda and went to the Chicago Comic Con haha.

One bad mark I do want to mention and even though it may have not been meant seriously, I did not like the MC calling Ester a "whore" when explaining how he would talk to the police. It just felt rude and out of character. At least for my playthrough trying to be a nice guy. Maybe have Ester punch him in the arm for it and tell him to not call her that? Just a thought. Or maybe have her get upset since she is supposed to be really shy and would not be used to someone actually calling her something like that. Maybe I am taking this part more seriously than intended but like I said it was striking when I read it. Next may have just been an oversight but did Ellie just wake up to go to school on a Saturday? Why? Or did I just catch her leaving the house when she is up to no good?

I loved the dossier as well. Fun idea of maybe adding a feature to the main menu or just on Patreon of dossiers on every character. But it is with mentioning Patreon that I must ask and I mean no offense with this but where was my name at the end? I became a chungus level after the last update and even though I know it was most likely an accident, I was a little deflated when I didn't find my name after finishing the update.

I'm enjoying this, but I think the game's script has a problem of not giving the charachters a distinct enough speaking style,

One really important way to make the girls feel more vibrant and unique is to give each of them their own speaking style that mirrors their personality. To an extent, some of the girls already have this. The meme-lord girl in particular. But, many of the other girls, including the sister and the korean friend have really boring speaky styles.

Some things to consider:

- If a charachter is foreign, how is their english? If it's bad do they ever slip into native words? Do they sometimes forget English words, even if they are fluent?
- What is their usual emotional state? Do they show emotion through language use heavily?

Thinking through and making sure that each girl has a *distinct* dialogue style will help you make them be more engaging.
I haven't been one to call it out but I also agree that many of the characters do speak in a very similar tone and choice of words. Granted this is something I think will get better with time and I may be a little zealous today with suggestions, but a very easy way to add a least a little difference would be for Eva to have more attitude and use more slang than normal words. That is not meant to be a slight on her character, she just seems to be the most likely candidate to speak in that manner. No suggestions for the others at this time, however.

All in all, coming up on day 7 I am interested in what will happen when we finally get to start dating or at least getting to choose who we spend more time with. Can't wait until the next update. Another two weeks? That is fine with me, as usual, just curious.

Reactions: Carrotsteam

Carrotsteam

CatchTheBunny Creator
Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021

Some things to consider:

Hi, T51bwinterized! We will try to divide the characters between the authors, thereby giving them more personality. We will take your advice into consideration, and we're grateful for such attention to our project.

Carrotsteam

CatchTheBunny Creator
Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
Hi. Lately I've been studying a lot of contrast concepts. I took one of your drawings and did an auto contrast in photoshop, then lowered the saturation a bit. Here are the results for comparison.

Low Contrast Original (Left) - High Contrast Photoshopped (Right)
View attachment 1139712 View attachment 1139713

High Contrast Photoshopped, but with lower saturation to match original image.
View attachment 1139714

I have a gut feeling your art looks completely fine on your monitor, but your monitor isn't calibrated. So the contrast may look fine on your monitor, but on other people's monitors there is a clear contrast issue.

Do this in photoshop:
1. Open your image.
2. Click Auto Contrast
3. Lower Saturation until it looks right.

Then calibrate your monitor as soon as possible.

You draw excellent art by the way. I like your art so much that I couldn't help myself and wanted to help, take care!
Hi, hakarlman! We'll take a note, thank you for the work done, in the future the artist will try to do the work better.

Reactions: hakarlman

Carrotsteam

CatchTheBunny Creator
Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
Oh you know I haven't forgotten about the update. SO! First off and I haven't gone back to double-check but the blinking Pepe button Aster wears is HILARIOUS! Only noticed that by accident but love the detail. Next, Scarlett is simply amazing and I would have said that even without her little surprise. I must ask, is Ester's little adventure going to be a plot point in the future? Also not to be that guy but given that I live outside of Chicago and you gave Eva's address as right in Cook County, side note cue excited noises when I read that, but y'all do know that Illinois made marijuana legal right? Granted the politician can be into other substances. I only mention that one as Ester mentioned that one in particular.

Now for some speculation. But are you guys building towards some type of sandbox in the future? I only ask as each release seems to introduce people and activities but doesn't let us do much with what we find. This wouldn't be a problem if you guys are, I am just curious. Also, is Scarlett the last girl or will there be more to be introduced? Again, not a problem, just curious. Random idea but given the location now and Ellie's look, I think it would be awesome if she cosplayed as Princess Zelda and went to the Chicago Comic Con haha.

One bad mark I do want to mention and even though it may have not been meant seriously, I did not like the MC calling Ester a "whore" when explaining how he would talk to the police. It just felt rude and out of character. At least for my playthrough trying to be a nice guy. Maybe have Ester punch him in the arm for it and tell him to not call her that? Just a thought. Or maybe have her get upset since she is supposed to be really shy and would not be used to someone actually calling her something like that. Maybe I am taking this part more seriously than intended but like I said it was striking when I read it. Next may have just been an oversight but did Ellie just wake up to go to school on a Saturday? Why? Or did I just catch her leaving the house when she is up to no good?

I loved the dossier as well. Fun idea of maybe adding a feature to the main menu or just on Patreon of dossiers on every character. But it is with mentioning Patreon that I must ask and I mean no offense with this but where was my name at the end? I became a chungus level after the last update and even though I know it was most likely an accident, I was a little deflated when I didn't find my name after finishing the update.

I haven't been one to call it out but I also agree that many of the characters do speak in a very similar tone and choice of words. Granted this is something I think will get better with time and I may be a little zealous today with suggestions, but a very easy way to add a least a little difference would be for Eva to have more attitude and use more slang than normal words. That is not meant to be a slight on her character, she just seems to be the most likely candidate to speak in that manner. No suggestions for the others at this time, however.

All in all, coming up on day 7 I am interested in what will happen when we finally get to start dating or at least getting to choose who we spend more time with. Can't wait until the next update. Another two weeks? That is fine with me, as usual, just curious.
Hi, An Ace Among Men! We are still thinking about turning the game into sandbox, but this will be decided in the future on the vote by the patrons. Thank you for reporting even such little things as" whore " sounding wrong, correcting such errors, we gradually make the game better. Regarding Ellie, Day 6 - Friday. Day 1 is Sunday, so no, she's still a good girl. Regarding the Patron, we are very sorry. Recently, we have encountered the problem of people who subscribe to our Patron, receive some content, and then unsubscribe leaving us with literally nothing. We are looking for ways to deal with this and are really very sorry that you were a little deflated because of this. We will try to make this update as fast as we can, next time your name will definitely appear in the credits.

• Red Heart
Reactions: An Ace Among Men

yslwdg

May 8, 2020
Love the art this game has and in my opinion the gameplay so far has been fun, I mean I really like the idea of going on an adventure with Ester and renting a room for the Asian one (forgot her name, my bad) and my goodness doesn't Ellie look really cute? What I wonder is how often will the uptades be because there is no significant advancement on the plot from 0.5 to 0.6 and it took a while to be released.

Carrotsteam

CatchTheBunny Creator
Game Developer
Feb 13, 2021
Love the art this game has and in my opinion the gameplay so far has been fun, I mean I really like the idea of going on an adventure with Ester and renting a room for the Asian one (forgot her name, my bad) and my goodness doesn't Ellie look really cute? What I wonder is how often will the uptades be because there is no significant advancement on the plot from 0.5 to 0.6 and it took a while to be released.
Hi, alberteinstein69! We usually update our game once every 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: Wild Red
Oct 8, 2019
Hi, An Ace Among Men! We are still thinking about turning the game into sandbox, but this will be decided in the future on the vote by the patrons. Thank you for reporting even such little things as" whore " sounding wrong, correcting such errors, we gradually make the game better. Regarding Ellie, Day 6 - Friday. Day 1 is Sunday, so no, she's still a good girl. Regarding the Patron, we are very sorry. Recently, we have encountered the problem of people who subscribe to our Patron, receive some content, and then unsubscribe leaving us with literally nothing. We are looking for ways to deal with this and are really very sorry that you were a little deflated because of this. We will try to make this update as fast as we can, next time your name will definitely appear in the credits.
Well thank you very much :love:

Reactions: Carrotsteam

Minarin

Dec 25, 2020
We are still thinking about turning the game into sandbox, but this will be decided in the future on the vote by the patrons.
Not a patron, so take my opinion for what its worth (which is nothing), but: I don't think this game would do well as a sandbox. The game already is a pretty on-the-rails directed experience and it has the most potential as that. The sheer amount of writing work that would be needed to turn this into a decent sandbox without running into a grind-y same-y feel would be much higher than would be currently needed for a directed experience; which is currently what the game is already having some difficulties meeting (with all respect).

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Hi, T51bwinterized! We will try to divide the characters between the authors, thereby giving them more personality. We will take your advice into consideration, and we're grateful for such attention to our project.
Well, there isn't a need to have different writers working on each charachter. That can have negative effect of making the game more disjointed. It's instead a good idea for an individual writer to just practice and get better and writing charachters as having more distinct speaking styles.

As a general rule, having Patrons make major design choices is a dangerous idea. Patrons are often well meaning, but lack the knowledge to determine how much extra work a particular choice entails.

I say this having worked on a team that USED to have patrons make design choices, and having seen it blow up horribly in our face.

3.80 star(s) 32 Votes