4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

3Bliksems

Sep 20, 2016
The narrative for some routes seems to be coming apart in Chapter 5, and even more so in Chapter 6.

On a play through focused solely on Mallory I had Jaye on 0/0 trust/love up to the end of ch4, then all of a sudden there's forced trust and love gain in ch5, and it gets even worse in ch6. There's also massive inconsistencies in the story now.

The major inconsistencies that stand out:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's almost as if the game is now forcing specific outcomes regardless of what you did in the earlier chapters, which removes the sense of player agency, which is a bit disappointing.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
The narrative for some routes seems to be coming apart in Chapter 5, and even more so in Chapter 6.

On a play through focused solely on Mallory I had Jaye on 0/0 trust/love up to the end of ch4, then all of a sudden there's forced trust and love gain in ch5, and it gets even worse in ch6. There's also massive inconsistencies in the story now.

The major inconsistencies that stand out:

It's almost as if the game is now forcing specific outcomes regardless of what you did in the earlier chapters, which removes the sense of player agency, which is a bit disappointing.
Yes. There's a perfectly valid Doylist explanation for this (too many branches are a pain to maintain, you have to prune them to manage the game's complexity), but the Watsonian one is weak. If you try to be a mega-asshole to Jaye you get a premature game over, but in the other two outcomes the game interprets it as you being ready to patch things up with her.

I think the problem lies in letting the MC be such an asshole to Jaye at all. We know from the backstory that he's afraid to act on his feelings, so pushing her away after a forced reunion is expected behavior, but we also know that the only reason he does this is because he cares about her and doesn't want to see her hurt. To actually undermine her, to try to cut her off from the inheritance would only hurt her.

The break day could've worked if the MC was simply aloof with Jaye:

- high love - sexy break day as intended
- high trust, low love - Jaye gets the MC to open up and admit he has the hots for her. Then he either convinces her not acting on these feelings is for the better or does the bunga-bunga
- low trust - the MC tries to avoid the break day, so Jaye corners him and lays her cards on the table: she knows why he's doing this, so he should stop deflecting the issue and come clear. Then he either convinces Jaye that getting close to her is too risky and they agree to remain professional distant, or he agrees to become friends again. Or goes straight to bunga-bunga, if you somehow managed to end up in a low trust, high love situation.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
Han Solo figure > belly ring

Jaye would agree. :Kappa:
One of these days, I'll have to see what happens when you pick the belly ring instead of the Han Solo figure. It never even crossed my mind to pick anything other than the Han Solo figure in any of my playthroughs. Even in my Mallory solo path (the one true path), I have to ignore Mallory's suggestion.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
Correct but I will always love Red haired Jaye the most :love: :love:
I'm still drooling over Jaye in that Christmas render recently dropped.

View attachment 2263566

Who knew someone could make the infamous "ugly Christmas sweater" look so good but she does it with ease :love:

Merry Christmas by the way to everyone and their families.
I mean if you're going to crop that masterpiece at all, at least do it the right way:

Lostanddamned

Engaged Member
Mar 29, 2019
One of these days, I'll have to see what happens when you pick the belly ring instead of the Han Solo figure. It never even crossed my mind to pick anything other than the Han Solo figure in any of my playthroughs. Even in my Mallory solo path (the one true path), I have to ignore Mallory's suggestion.
You get less points and different text in the conversation but it's nothing impactful. BTW it's one of the places where people miss the opportunity to max Jaye's points because they think she'd prefer the belly ring, but if you actually read the text carefully it's impossible to miss that the Han Solo figure is the way to go.

Vopeco

Mar 16, 2020
- high love - sexy break day as intended
- high trust, low love - Jaye gets the MC to open up and admit he has the hots for her. Then he either convinces her not acting on these feelings is for the better or does the bunga-bunga
- low trust - the MC tries to avoid the break day, so Jaye corners him and lays her cards on the table: she knows why he's doing this, so he should stop deflecting the issue and come clear. Then he either convinces Jaye that getting close to her is too risky and they agree to remain professional distant, or he agrees to become friends again. Or goes straight to bunga-bunga, if you somehow managed to end up in a low trust, high love situation.
Curious , are these actual different branches in the game with Jaye or are you merely making suggestions of what should happen? Just wondering myself now what is different in these different love/trust scenarios as it currently stands in game.

It never crossed my mind to me to hurt Jaye in any way and I don't think it would fit Alex or the story at all anyways, but I wouldn't mind seeing different ways of how they handle their feelings for each other as you've outlined.

I mean if you're going to crop that masterpiece at all, at least do it the right way:

r.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jericho85

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Curious , are these actual different branches in the game with Jaye or are you merely making suggestions of what should happen? Just wondering myself now what is different in these different love/trust scenarios as it currently stands in game.
Just my suggestions. There's a walkthrough by MrBubu that shows what the real branches are.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
I am still playing the prologue. But the game has already got me hooked. Man, it does a pretty good job making you feel sorry for the relation between Jaye and the MC as they were growing up.

On that note, the MC surely was not the most mentally gifted individual as a teen. Seriously, what was not to understand from the entries he read in Jaye's diary? And what about the lack of reciprocity he showed by keeping a low profile during her sporting events? Was it because of a sense of dumb pride or was he really that stupid?

Well, it is time to keep playing.

Vopeco

Mar 16, 2020
I am still playing the prologue. But the game has already got me hooked. Man, it does a pretty good job making you feel sorry for the relation between Jaye and the MC as they were growing up.

On that note, the MC surely was not the most mentally gifted individual as a teen. Seriously, what was not to understand from the entries he read in Jaye's diary? And what about the lack of reciprocity he showed by keeping a low profile during her sporting events? Was it because of a sense of dumb pride or was he really that stupid?

Well, it is time to keep playing.
I am right there with you. I was hooked pretty early on in the Prologue my first playthrough to the story and connected right away to the main characters and just kept thinking how unfortunate and tragic it all is they drifted apart as kids, then the party happened and made things much worse.

Alex will tell you later on in the game how he saw things though, I won't spoil it, but I also think it comes down to 1. he was incredibly stupid(so was Jaye though to be fair), 2. too much pride to get over himself to show Jaye how much he cared about her(again, same with Jaye) - even though Jaye goes to his games she also treats him not very well at times too and I think her pride got in the way too, examples I can think of, when you go into her room and she's writing in her diary she dismisses Alex in a cold manner, i'm sure Alex dealing with that was pretty typical too as she reveals later in the Prologue she tries to hide her feelings for Alex from everyone by essentially being a bitch, she also never forgave Alex when they were eight years old after he didn't walk with her to school which caused the rift between them in the first place, if she'd have just talked to him she could've gotten a clearer picture that it was just a misunderstanding and he did it because he cared about her and didn't want his step sister to not have friends and get picked on - and 3. also had a reason for acting the way he did which he explains in a later Chapter as I mentioned.

Last edited:

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Alex will tell you later on in the game how he saw things though, I won't spoil it, but I also think it comes down to 1. he was incredibly stupid(so was Jaye though to be fair), 2. too much pride to get over himself to show Jaye how much he cared about her(again, same with Jaye) - even though Jaye goes to his games she also treats him not very well at times too and I think her pride got in the way too, examples I can think of, when you go into her room and she's writing in her diary she dismisses Alex in a cold manner, she also never forgave Alex when they were eight years old after he didn't walk with her to school which caused the rift between them in the first place, if she'd have just talked to him she could've gotten a clearer picture that it was just a misunderstanding and he did it because he cared about her and didn't want his step sister to not have friends and get picked on - and 3. also had a reason for acting the way he did which he explains later as I mentioned.
Yeah, man. I am with you here. Although I have not been playing much since I posted my message above, I at least played past the graduation party. And you are totally right: Jaye was not any less idiot than her stepbrother. What a pair!

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes