4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
don't i have to play from the beginning if i do it that way?
not to mention, i haven't download it
If you own it on Steam yet never played it on there but have played the non-Steam version... then yes, you'd be starting from scratch. There's a detailed writeup on the mod's OP that describes the process of swapping saves/persistents back and forth but it's a cumbersome process for average folks tbh... that's not an insult... feel free to do what you wish but that is the real answer to your question.

camube

Jun 4, 2022
If you own it on Steam yet never played it on there but have played the non-Steam version... then yes, you'd be starting from scratch. There's a detailed writeup on the mod's OP that describes the process of swapping saves/persistents back and forth but it's a cumbersome process for average folks tbh... that's not an insult... feel free to do what you wish but that is the real answer to your question.
yeah i can guess it takes some effort to move save files. And speedrun takes time too.
i'd rather wait a couple hours.
I hope it's a couple hours instead of 24+lol

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
There may be (most likely) some rollback issues with some or many old saves. The version of RenPy got bumped from 7.4.11 to 8.0.3 and devs that have done this in the past on the same (on going) VN usually create rollback issues since they don't roll the rpyc files correctly and they end up getting rebuilt by R8 which moves the save/load pointers. Just know it's a possible thing.

Still confirming some other details...
To clarify what I may be facing:
  1. I first played this AVN beginning with the last release.
  2. I got the download from F95, not Steam.
  3. I used Sancho Mod for the playthrough.
  4. Dev has moved to an updated RenPy engine as of this update.
  5. I plan to get the update from F95 and use the updated Sancho Mod with it.
  6. Because of issues when updating the engine mid-game, even though I'll still be using the F95 version and the same Mod, my saves still may be borked due to the RenPy upgrade, but at the moment, that isn't a foregone conclusion.
Is this an accurate assessment of what you've said (I also took into account subsequent posts concerning Steam, which I'm not on)? How high is the likelihood of borkage? Or is that something you're getting your brain around as you update and test your mod?

This game took a long time to get through to the prior release. I've had to completely replay several AVNs due to upgrade issues. I really hope I don't have to commit another 20 or 30 hours to get back where I am just so I can move forward.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
yeah i can guess it takes some effort to move save files. And speedrun takes time too.
i'd rather wait a couple hours.
I hope it's a couple hours instead of 24+lol
... well, there's even more to it since the persistent has to be rebuilt due to the cheevo index it contains. Again, it's best to think of them as two separate VN's, really. I've helped dozens upon dozens of folks with version swapping and it's a bit of a chore... but it is doable.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
To clarify what I may be facing:
  1. I first played this AVN beginning with the last release.
  2. I used Sancho Mod for the playthrough.
  3. Dev has moved to an updated RenPy engine as of this update.
  4. Because of issues when moving up mid-game, my saves may be borked, but at the moment, that isn't a foregone conclusion.
Is this an accurate assessment of what you've said (I also took into account subsequent posts concerning Steam, which I'm not on)? How high is the likelihood of borkage? Or is that something you're getting your brain around as you update and test your mod?

Thanks.
Well, no, not "borked" saves per se. There will likely be rollback issues which I can help sort. I will know in a few more minutes... I'm still sorting some things so give me a bit and I'll return and give you a solid reply bud.

Reactions: Son of Durin

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Well, no, not "borked" saves per se. There will likely be rollback issues which I can help sort. I will know in a few more minutes... I'm still sorting some things so give me a bit and I'll return and give you a solid reply bud.
I was editing my post when you started your reply. Still essentially the same, but might provide clarity for others when you get to your final assessment of the situation.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
Just make it good enough to get hosted in the Steam Workshop, so we can mod thr game just by launching it. :sneaky:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I was editing my post when you started your reply. Still essentially the same, but might provide clarity for others when you get to your final assessment of the situation.
I wasn't expecting a RenPy jump from v7 to v8 so I've a bit of work to do but quickly got the base mod in but without the scripts... give me a bit and I can find out what is what on saves.
1683419282173.png
FYI developers: It's NEVER a good idea to jump whole numbers on your programming language during the middle of a project. Sub-wholes are usually fine but only when required for language bugs... otherwise you're opening a can of worms most of the time. Not all the time but you have to ask yourself if the risk is worth taking... just some food for thought is all.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Gawd...damn! I.... can hardly believe my eyes... I may have excellent news.

Every Chapter 6 file I have on Steam version loaded right on point (these are Ch6 screens, no spoilers):
1683421069223.png 1683420653474.png

I have to port over some previous Chapters to check older saves but this is a fucking great sign so far.

Stone Fox Studios / Kentyrr - you may very well be the first team I mod on that got this R7 to R8 rpyc file rollover correct. I want to confirm Chapters pre-6 but apologies for my posts above with the doubts. Understand that every other VN I've touched when this type of update has occurred it's been a massive rollback failure. I'll confirm more later but I need a bit more time... there's so much I need to do even though I prepped for day leading up to this release (I had no idea y'all were going to pull a fast one).

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
They just announced the So, Patreon release is there to but it's being hammerd....good luck getting it right now.

There are now mirrors for folks, it's 5.51GB ;)

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 308 Votes