doovel

Nov 13, 2023
My first ending was dying on the boat to the assassin. Why? Because I didn't train with Tanaka. Why? I didn't want to cheat on the other girls.

As I mentioned, the last two chapters felt rushed. The threat just escalated with the attack. The characters just learned the true extent of the threat and that they were being targeted directly (we as players knew much more than the characters did due to the various scenes away from them). And everything was resolved in chapter 8. Not a single decision you make in chapter 9 impacts the threat. There are two virtually identical outcomes with minor variation in text. Far different from the different paths you could take earlier in the game. The trust stat is almost worthless in the last half of the game. You'll get penalized trust points for cheating, but trust points are never used to determine any outcomes. If you sleep with Lisa while in a relationship with Jaye, she'll resign. If you try for a committed relationship with both Jaye and Mallory, you get a bad end. Other than that, there aren't any consequences for cheating. A lot of side characters were sort of forgotten. It really does feel like the devs just decided they were done with it and rushed to the end. Hopefully, the epilogues will help, but it did hurt it. This game went, in my opinion, from being a good game to just above average.

It also didn't help that Mallory and Jaye were the main love interests, with Jaye being the primary. Don't get me wrong. I liked Jaye, but I liked Mallory better. And I liked Lisa as much as both of them, and she felt like she deserved an ending. I liked Bianca a little less. And Tara was such a big part of the story that, relationship or not, sex or not, she needed a few scenes towards the end. And Amanda needed specific scenes if she was part of the relationship with Mallory. And I wanted to know more about what was going on with Erika and her family.

Actually, I think I just realized part of why I feel this game became disappointing. Just like it seemed like the devs wanted do something complicated and grand with the routes and stats early and gave up, it feels like the devs didn't know what to do once the characters were in relationships. Jaye and Mallory were more interesting before the MC got into a relationship, open or committed, than afterwards. Variant scenes mostly vanished. A couple of sex scenes. It's like they didn't know what to do at that point and just wanted to wrap it up. The game feels like it got smaller and simpler as it progressed. I may be entirely wrong, but it just feels that way to me.

My guess it that you will have an option if in an open relationship with one or both girls to commit to one before you get set on the alone path.
On a more serious note, this might be roughly what happened with the devs. And would explain their (I don't even know if it's multiple people tbh.) eagerness to move on. If it's their first story it's still damn impressive. Just a damn shame it went from sailing with the wind to still wind.

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Mar 16, 2019
JokerLeader
Through the recommended choices, I believe your mod is trying to achieve the poly path for Jaye and Mallory. If so, there is a wrong variable. To achieve this path, Jaye's (num024) and Mallory's (num025) relationship variable must be set to 6 in the last bar scene. Mallory's variable is correct, but Jaye's is set to 1.
Thank you

Reactions: Breezerr

Triple OG

Aug 28, 2019
Okay let me try to wrap my head around the dev's relationship decisions...:WaitWhat:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Let's see if the epilogue can make things worse like Lisa getting pregnant first I could use a good laugh.

Malicre

Oct 23, 2018
[/SPOILER]
Let's see if the epilogue can make things worse like Lisa getting pregnant first I could use a good laugh.
Pretty sure what is NOT going to happen, especially since she's an LI in the next game.

Only epilogue endings will probably be something like...

1: Jaye Solo
2: Mal Solo
3: Jaye + Mal
4: Mal + Amanda
5: No one
6: Erica or Linda (probably, this one can go either way with the dev potentially adding it or not or maybe its caked into the no one / manwhore ending)

I would put money on Lisa and Tara not having anything to do with an epilogue unless its there to make the player interested in where they are headed to for the new game.

Last edited:

Jah-Ith-Ber

Feb 23, 2021
1: Jaye Solo
2: Mal Solo
3: Jaye + Mal
4: Mal + Amanda
5: No one
6: Erica or Linda (probably, this one can go either way with the dev potentially adding it or not or maybe its caked into the no one / manwhore ending)

crossing my fingers for a Rikki ending. No drama just fun

siath70

Apr 5, 2019
How? Didnt they just give an out of nowhere throuple on a jaye path? How a harem doesnt seem to fit her? She also said what you do with mallory and amanda, i dont want to get involved in that, so that could mean she wont mind if MC gets involved with them, If mallory is already added in the throuple, how is it difficult to imagine she wont bring in Peanut a women mallory is actually attracted to? Jaye could rope in tara as well who knows? After seeing the jaye+mall throuple became true, a harem could very well happen.
I do believe Jaye said she would accept only Mal and NOT Amanda. She didn't want to be involved, as a threesome, with Mal, but other than that it was all good.
The reason I feel a harem will not fit is the other girls are not really given the screen time.
They would have to work in more time for the other girls to make it work.
Jaye and Mal interacted a lot, Mal also has the DNA of her step mom which makes it easier on her. There is a ton of reasons why Jaye+Mal+MC works, there's almost no reason for one of the other one offs to be involved.
Maybe Tara, but Tara also told the MC it would never happen again, but things can change. So, I see your point with her.

There is also a reason for Jaye to accept Mal, and only Mal. She is literally family.

I would love a harem ending, I'm not opposed, just pointing out there would need to be some changes to the current story to actually fit that in.

I just feel they would need to add additional scenes for them all and then work on fitting them in with Jaye and the MC.
If you think about it, the end scene with the MC, Jaye and Mal (at the bar) never confirms they're a thing, it's just eluded too. You go from we're hiding here for a month or more to oh all good the next day to we're at the bar with no info in between. So rushed...

Last edited:

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
View attachment 1416588
Chasing Sunsets [v1.0] Walkthrough & Cheat Mod
Thank you Breezerr for helping with the Mod

Features:

Installation:

Note: If the quick menu is not showing, press "Q" on the keyboard.

Download: -

As always, if you like the game, please show your support for the Dev, .
If you like my work, please consider supporting me on my or , check my .
For some reason I cannot download your mod from mixdrop. It keeps saying invalid ticket ID. I have tried to download from your patreon, but it doesn't have a download link, just a link to mixdrop with the same issue.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
You say choices should matter, but it doesn't feel that way when an MC who chooses to start an honest relationship with two women - telling them up front and turning down all others (whenever the script permits, anyway) - gets lumped in with an MC who bangs anything that moves.
I did say choices should matter, but I also said that characteristic matters in this game. Wanting to start a relationship with two women when they aren't ready for such relationship is very different than if they are ready for it. That's why the only current successful polyamory ending is through Jaye's solo path. (not sure what the future change would be like)

It's funny, my motivation was completely different than actually wanting things to be different. It was something I would've said out of compassion.
IMO, this is a great example of why choice and characteristics matter in this game as I mentioned before. You were saying that out of compassion, but you were saying it to someone who is in love with you. This is a conversation between two characters. Your intention is to show compassion, but Mallory took it differently because her character is shaped by how you treat her throughout the game (i.e.: high love points = she is still in love with MC despite MC being in relationship with Jaye). Your choice misled her because showing compassion can be misleading when it is not honest.

Just like in the real world, if you are not interested in relationship with someone, it's best to actually say "No" rather than stringing them along and giving ambiguous hope. You even said it yourself that your motivation was not wanting things to be different. But yet, "wanting things to be different" is the dialogue option you chose. That's you purposely choosing an option that is directly the opposite of your motivation.

BeingADikDik

Engaged Member
Apr 17, 2021
From the dev team some 30 minutes ago...posted on Steam board and similar post in Discord:

This relates specifically to the open relationship path...
I know I said I would be out of this thread, but will add to the update the following dev post from reddit:

"For those who are wondering, MC can cheat precisely once without relationship consequences. It doesn't matter if it's Tanaka, Bianca, or Lisa, any combination of the two results in any committed LI seeing you as "not relationship material."
The Lisa consequence only occurs on the Jaye path. She explains that she will not get between her bosses.
The fuckbuddy path gave several instances of foreshadowing that neither LI was happy with that arrangement, but I feel I should have provided at least one offramp the MC can take after seeing it. I am putting some thought into giving the player an out before he gets dumped.
Even so, that seems more likely to work with Mallory to my mind than Jaye.
"

So there you have it from the dev. The paths are intentional and by design, but he is willing to modify due to negative feedback.

In my opinion, this is a good start but falls short of what is needed for this game to have the lasting reputation it deserves. Let me briefly go over key missteps in this latest update (in my humble opinion):

1) No continuity with the pickup from the airport at the end of the previous episode. Tara just disappears entirely. No progress or closure for MC-Jaye-Tara. (Aside: I maintain it is a major mistake to sideline Tara and Lisa for the sake of a future game. Especially since they can have sex with MC in this game ...)

2) Little to no meaningful development for the MC-Jaye-Mal trio's relationship. If there is going to be a polyamory route, then this needed further progression. Dev even set it up perfectly - the trio would be alone at George's place for an entire week, secluded from the outside world with nothing to do but talk and fuck. Imagine if, on the open path, the girls decide to alternate evenings with MC but since they are stuck in the house are forced to overhear the debauchery. The first night with Jaye, second night with Mallory (and she makes sure Jaye hears it), third night with Jaye (ups the ante), fourth night with Mallory who further ups the ante by having sex in full sight of Jaye outside the bedroom. Fifth night is a truce, girls talk - MC recovers. Sixth night and seventh day all out threesome followed by discussion of polyamory. Now THAT would be an erotic means to progress from fuckbuddies to something more meaningful.

3) The Prizer resolution seems too convenient. After the week at George's, someone should have come looking for Mal. Perhaps Amanda saves the day with help from Artemis and Artemis MC's mom. After the resolution at George's, Mal could resolve herself to going public to prevent recurrence. After she does so, and again with Amanda's help, Prizer finally gets taken down and MC-Jaye-Mal-Amanda return to the Campbell residence where they grew up for a sentimental trip down memory lane. It can be revealed that it was not far from where Mal and Amanda grew up together, giving the group the opportunity to share surprise memories of an occassion of having met during childhood and to grow closer. Opens up the possibility of Amanda joining the polyamory grouping. (Can't see how Mallory functions without Peanut ...)

4) The update overall lacked erotic tension. Yes, there were individual sex scenes with Jaye and Mal, but that was really nothing new. Been there, done that. Stakes were not raised. The gang including Tanaka, Bianca, Lisa, Rikki/Linda, etc. doesn't get together in Boston prior to the start of the epilogue. The storytelling should have at least got everyone together ...

I'll stop there, but I think devs just need to push back Firebreak another six months or so to tie things up properly in this game. They apparently intend to have MORE LI's setup in that game, which IMO is another design mistake. If they think the work to close storylines with the cast of Chasing Sunsets is excessive, then that will only be multiplied 10x with the larger cast of Firebreak.

siath70

Apr 5, 2019
There's a throuple option in Jaye's route, but it doesn't involve Tara...

View attachment 3951719
It was stated by Tara and Jaye they were not a thing at all, they were friends.
Tara helped her deal with her emotions and desire for her brother and to support her when needed.
It was never said Jaye did anything back (and never showed), as a matter of fact Jaye states at some point she's not into girls.
I think that is when she is offering Mal into the relationship. However, she does tell the MC she came close to dating Tara, so kind of a mixed signal.
Very loose writing and there's a lot of examples in the story of one thing being said and something else being shown or said later in opposition.
So, you just have to enjoy the story and make your own choices. Some say she was intimate with Tara, other not, either way is fine it's up to the reader to choose the way it's written. Like the whole Christin thing, I say he wasn't a BF he was someone she was trying to help through a tough time, other say he was. You can see it either way, he could have been trying to date her and putting the moves on her even though they weren't dating, or they could have been dating. It's a grey area in the writing.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
My guess it that you will have an option if in an open relationship with one or both girls to commit to one before you get set on the alone path.
My guess is if you're in an open relationship with Mallory you'll have a chance to commit to Jaye. I'll certainly be happy if they give you the option to commit to Mallory instead (or even to reject her at the last minute regardless of Jaye), but I'm not expecting it.

Okay let me try to wrap my head around the dev's relationship decisions...:WaitWhat:
The issue, I think stems from the devs looking at the Jaye/MC pairing as a Princess Bride-style, one couple in a century, true love deal. The two of them are so perfect for each other that even someone like Mallory can only bow her head and acknowledge that her own desires must be sacrificed for the greater good. For the player to seek more than Jaye - when she is already everything he could want and more - would thus be a sign of greed and selfishness and should be reprimanded. If, on the other hand, the player acknowledges this universal truth and tearfully cuts things off with Mallory, then it's okay to reward his loyalty and so his 'sacrifice' will be returned to him.

Mallory's relationship with the MC falls a little short of that lofty standard, which is why the process can't work in reverse; the only valid reason to turn your back on Jaye would be if Jaye is just not the player's type at all, in which case they logically wouldn't want her included in a throuple either. In essence, Mallory was never intended as a *rival* for Jaye, she was an optional extra that could also serve as a consolation prize for those who just don't click with the main girl.

Obviously I don't agree with the devs' reasoning here (neither in how pure the Jaye/MC bond is, nor in why the MC might not leap at the chance to commit), but that's how they seem to have approached the narrative. In retrospect, I wonder if that's why the threesome with Amanda felt so discordant; the devs got near the end and realized Mallory's path felt too threadbare compared to Jaye's option to have the cake and eat it to, so they hastily wrote Amanda into Mallory route more for logistical reasons than for character ones. It would explain why the Amanda throuple comes out of nowhere and has next to no effect on subsequent chapters.

Little too lazy to revisit it now, but didnt Erica told the MC via phone that she is on a trip? So... this isnt at home/lodge
Err, the post you quoted is ancient, referring to a picture in Chapter 2. Erica didn't tell the MC she was travelling until Chapter 7.

I did say choices should matter, but I also said that characteristic matters in this game. Wanting to start a relationship with two women when they aren't ready for such relationship is very different than if they are ready for it. That's why the only current successful polyamory ending is through Jaye's solo path. (not sure what the future change would be like)
As I mentioned above, I don't think the polyamory ending we got has anything to do with waiting for characters to be 'ready for it,' I think it's based on myopic view of the player's motivations.

Besides, if that was the explanation it still wouldn't make any sense. People don't suddenly become "ready" for a polyamorous relationship by pretending they won't be in one! If Jaye is only okay with a polyamorous relationship once she's convinced Mallory will be nothing more than a second fiddle to her, then the whole relationship is doomed. The point of limiting the MC's interest to Jaye and Mallory but refusing to commit to either would be get all the parties ready for such a thing on an even footing.

I agree it would have been better if we established some sort of polyamorous framework before we started fucking the girls, but that's an option the game will not tolerate even on the solo paths!

Grim October

Oct 11, 2019
It was stated by Tara and Jaye they were not a thing at all, they were friends.
Tara helped her deal with her emotions and desire for her brother and to support her when needed.
It was never said Jaye did anything back (and never showed), as a matter of fact Jaye states at some point she's not into girls.
I think that is when she is offering Mal into the relationship. However, she does tell the MC she came close to dating Tara, so kind of a mixed signal.
Very loose writing and there's a lot of examples in the story of one thing being said and something else being shown or said later in opposition.
So, you just have to enjoy the story and make your own choices. Some say she was intimate with Tara, other not, either way is fine it's up to the reader to choose the way it's written. Like the whole Christin thing, I say he wasn't a BF he was someone she was trying to help through a tough time, other say he was. You can see it either way, he could have been trying to date her and putting the moves on her even though they weren't dating, or they could have been dating. It's a grey area in the writing.
I just find it ironic that Jaye and Tara have more ground to work on as a throuple than with Jaye and Mallory, or Mal and Amanda.

siath70

Apr 5, 2019
2) Little to no meaningful development for the MC-Jaye-Mal trio's relationship. If there is going to be a polyamory route, then this needed further progression. Dev even set it up perfectly - the trio would be alone at George's place for an entire week, secluded from the outside world with nothing to do but talk and fuck. Imagine if, on the open path, the girls decide to alternate evenings with MC but since they are stuck in the house are forced to overhear the debauchery. The first night with Jaye, second night with Mallory (and she makes sure Jaye hears it), third night with Jaye (ups the ante), fourth night with Mallory who further ups the ante by having sex in full sight of Jaye outside the bedroom. Fifth night is a truce, girls talk - MC recovers. Sixth night and seventh day all out threesome followed by discussion of polyamory. Now THAT would be an erotic means to progress from fuckbuddies to something more meaningful.
Problem with this is, Jaye says she isn't into girls and doesn't want a threesome, she just wants the MC. Even Tara says her and Jaye are friends and she helps Jaye with her problem (her lust for the MC basically). So from that you can get the Tara and Jaye thing is one sided. Jaye doesn't really care about anyone but the MC, he is all she wants, she accepts Mal based on events in the story and the underlying relationship between the MC and her (read DNA results).

Again, there is way to may conflicting things in this story, you have to make your own choices. The story needs a lot of clean up and rewrite if they want people to think about it in one specific way.
Diary, my first kiss, Tara brushed her lips across mine... Later, Tara puts MC in a closet and talks Jaye into getting her first kiss... Which is it?
Jaye, I never dated... Boy in room disagrees as he tries to rape you... It's is never really cleared up, that whole story line just gets tossed to the side. It's brought back up when she asks about her graduation, she could have simply said in that moment, 'You know, I wasn't dating him, I was trying to help him with a problem. I'm sorry I missed your last game, he ambushed me at the house before I left in need of someone to talk too. I felt so bad when you saw me standing there as I realized I had fucked up.' It can even be changed to she was starting to date him or thinking of dating him based on other choices made before the event.
Just little things, to clear up unclear things.

siath70

Apr 5, 2019
I just find it ironic that Jaye and Tara have more ground to work on as a throuple than with Jaye and Mallory, or Mal and Amanda.
But they don't, Tara was Jaye's friend. She had very little to do with the MC, she actually says she will never have sex with the MC again. Tara was only there to help them get together, not to interfere, she proves that by actually helping the MC.

The MC has more reason to want Mal in his life now that his mom is gone that any other girl except Jaye.

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
Err, the post you quoted is ancient, referring to a picture in Chapter 2. Erica didn't tell the MC she was travelling until Chapter 7.
wtf, strange, of course you are right, why the fuck stumpled i over that old post? i just clicked 2 or 3 pages back, dunno what happened :D

4.60 star(s) 317 Votes