VN Ren'Py Abandoned Connected [v0.2.5] [ChainZero]

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
ChainZero You mentioned on Patron that your dream is really to create graphic novels by drawing the art yourself, rather than use 3D assets with Daz or similar. I wish you all the best in working to pursue this. I know its in the future, but are you thinking you want to make 2D VNs like some of the ones here, or are you thinking more graphic novels in book and/or digital form? If you are thinking about 2D VNs, are there any that are currently out that that have inspired you?

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
ChainZero You mentioned on Patron that your dream is really to create graphic novels by drawing the art yourself, rather than use 3D assets with Daz or similar. I wish you all the best in working to pursue this. I know its in the future, but are you thinking you want to make 2D VNs like some of the ones here, or are you thinking more graphic novels in book and/or digital form? If you are thinking about 2D VNs, are there any that are currently out that that have inspired you?
Thank you, it means a lot. Both actually. It’s always been in me to draw and create. I said I’d like to make an independent career out of it and as far as I can see VNs tend to see a greater following thank grapic novels/comics etc. But I think I gravitate to graphic novels more, more specifically digital.

I don’t play a whole lot of 2D VNs cause I’m usually very picky when it comes to 2D artsyles. I’ve played Taffy Tales briefly and the art is great but it’s not my personal favorite. It’s not really a style I gravitate towards. Very detailed designs and colors but the character anatomy is too stylized for me in a way that I don’t like. Again, picky.

Summertime Saga is probably the most popular one and I played that a few times. I like the art way more there. It’s simpler and I like simple. The faces aren’t my favorite but I think that’s my goto 2D game.

I’ve seen Good Girl Gone Bad but never played it because I personally don’t like the art at all, not that it’s bad but it just looks too “traced” for my taste and it’s not stylized enough.

S.H.E.L.T.E.R. is another one I’ve played recently. Not my favorite art style by any means but the sex scenes are so passionately drawn they make my erections hurt lol.

Followed by numerous hentai VNs like Marina’s Cuckold Report and Relaxation Yuubi and yeah, there’s a whole lot I look at. But those 2 I just listed have my favorite art style by my favorite hentai VN artist “Gentle Sasaki”. His art style is perfect to me. Followed up by probably the most imfamous hentai game ever Starless drawn by Sei Shoujo who is my second favorite artist (minus the scat, gore and other things)

I can go on and on lol. On the comic side, I look no further than Melkor Mancin for inspiration which is crazy cause 4 or 5 years ago I liked his art but it never stood out to me like it does now. Simply breathtaking work he does. There are others aside from him though that I look at.

But I also take a lot of inspiration from plenty of manga and manhwa out there. You only asked about VN inspirations so I won’t make this longer than it probably already is but you get the point lol. I have plenty I go to and they all have this style that I really like. A style that stays true to human anatomy but is stylized enough to look unique. There are exceptions to the rule, but don’t get me talkin on that lol we’d be here forever.

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
Connected was sort of inspired by an anime but it wasn't Grisaia. Connected was almost gonna be a supernatural story inspired by Bakemonogatari, which coincidentally shares one of the same artists as Grisaia.
You know...if Charlotte would turned into a white haired cat girl at night, that would be life.

But I also take a lot of inspiration from plenty of manga and manhwa out there. You only asked about VN inspirations so I won’t make this longer than it probably already is but you get the point lol. I have plenty I go to and they all have this style that I really like. A style that stays true to human anatomy but is stylized enough to look unique. There are exceptions to the rule, but don’t get me talkin on that lol we’d be here forever.
Hah, never thought I'd find a fellow on this forum that been through the manhwa hell as well. I guess you're also following at least a few 18+ toons, and you know what I mean then :D

Last edited:

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Thanks, a lot. I'll check some of those out. I played Summertime Saga a bit, but after awhile it felt a little grindy. It takes some of the fun out of it to have to read a walkthrough to not miss a lot of content. Plus, having to start from scratch each update is annoying, so I gave up on it. Maybe I'll try it again for the fun of it.

I've just barely looked at any manga or manhwa out there. One of the first I've read that I really liked is "Kashimashi". Ever heard of it? The story is pretty unbelievable, but it is quite romantic and I really liked the characters.

Not to get you going forever :), but do you have 1 or 2 favorite manga or manhwa I should check out to expand my horizons and check out something you really enjoyed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

K18

Apr 19, 2018
I'm aware of the series but don't have too much knowledge of it aside from some basic details about some characters. I did watch the anime when it came out a few years back but I don't recall finishing it and it's always been hard for me to get into Japanese VNs despite my example because they're extremely long and scenes can drag a lot. I do remember having favorite characters though, like Amane and Yukiko and I remember really liking Asako a lot. But I know of the whole series. Fruit, Eden, and Labyrinth.

Connected was sort of inspired by an anime but it wasn't Grisaia. Connected was almost gonna be a supernatural story inspired by Bakemonogatari, which coincidentally shares one of the same artists as Grisaia. It's a story about girls who suffer from supernatural ailments by spirits, gods, oddities etc. Ailments that have a direct connection to whatever they went through in the past. Losing family, jealousy, toxic relationships, premature death, all that. Another anime recently did the same thing, an anime called Bunny Girl Senpai for short.

But yeah, if you are familiar with those anime, Connected was almost that. But I decided to go for a more grounded approach.
Cool, so a like a game with supernatural activities in a urban fantasy setting. I'm familiar with Bakemongatari & the rest of the series, like that toothbrush scene with Karen and that bath scene with Shinobu.
For a quick reminder and summary of Grisaia, the protagonist Yuuji throughout the story helps the 5 main girls in unique ways to overcome severe emotional and psychological traumas (witnessing freak tragic deaths, split personalities, parental neglect, etc.) one at a time per arc, all the while all the girls try to figure out Yuuji's mysterious past. That why i thought about it after your description. I liked J.B. and Asako and had a soft spot for Millie. Grisaia and Bakemonogatari both had the same Animation Character Designer Akio Watanabe (and Original Artist of Grisaia).
I don't play Japanese Visual Novels as much as i'd like to, I'm fine with just looking at the CG art gallery and reading up on the story & characters on VNDB or VN blogs or wait for an Adult Ero Anime adaptation.

Last edited:

Agamennone80

Donor
Jul 19, 2019

Considering I just posted an update his week, sort of, I'm gonna keep this one brief. Try to anyway...I'm still around halfway through this last sex scene, and to be completely honest, I think I got a little over-ambitious on the animations. Not that anything's wrong cause everything is perfect right now, but with the energy I had I went and got a little crazy in trying some new animation shit.

I've been doing 2-second animations but I got a little confident and I'm working on a 4-second animation with slightly faster movements. Learning some things in the process too so it's been good for me, but I'm doing 4 seconds (120 frames) cause I wanted to make the boobs and ass bounce effectively. That's what I wanted to try at least, but this is currently taking up most of my night to get right, and I'm almost there. 2:18 AM right now as I'm typing this (Y'all will see this when it's scheduled to post).

I'm at 9 animations right now, excluding different perspective animations. Haven't rendered any of them yet, cause I'm gonna do that last out of fear of my rig fucking off on me, so if that bullshit were to happen, I'd at least have the static images ready to go.

But yeah, that's where I'm at. In the future, I might hold back on animations until I can upgrade my rig. What I have is fine, but I'd rather something more up to date for this ambitious work.

Agamennone80

Donor
Jul 19, 2019

This will be the final Dev Report before the release so I just wanna go over the details one more time to make sure we're all on the same page here.

-Chapter 3 has been split into 2 halves. This is due to a fairly bad month of March in terms of overall mood and productivity coupled with a lot of early (and late) renders needing extended individual attention through April. So I don't want to keep you guys waiting longer than it's already been.

- The final render count for the first half is 190 renders and double-digit animations. I say double-digit cause I'm forgetting the number, but off the top it has to be like 11 or 12. I want to say something about the animations, but I'll say what I have to say with the release of the game. After this, I have 4 or so more animations to render. Like, 2 of them are the 4-second animations. Same animation, different perspective, which will take well over a day each for both to finish, so I might only render one of them for now and then patch the other in later depending on the time, cause I only have one PC and I have other things I need to tend to.

- I don't know how long the chapter will feel, but that's only because I haven't tested it yet. That will come very soon. I'm hoping it'll feel like a cool 25 mins at least.

- Heads up: This first half is strictly Ayana-centric. Well, not really, but in terms of love interests, the day starts with her. I haven't seen anyone have a problem with her yet, but just in case for anyone who might wanna skip the update for now.

- This update will be the juicier half. It starts with story, ends with sex. I say this cause the second half won't have any sex at all. At least it's not planned. Maybe I'll throw a bone if I feel like it, but I doubt it.

- No release date yet but that's only cause I want to see on what day the animations will finish. I'm aiming for the end of the month, but it can also come out the first week of May just for extra testing if I feel it's needed, which I doubt cause there isn't much to "test". It's a "game-time" decision sort of thing right now, but it's very close.

Anything else, anything else....nah we're good I think.

If you guys have any questions about the update or anything else, feel free to ask via comments, messages, whatever. I'm here to answer, kay? :) Have a nice day guys.

Dyonic

May 18, 2018
I'm so torn between being up to date with this fantastic game of yours and not seeing any spoilers... I may have to stop following this thread cause not knowing where the next corner will take me makes the experience so much juicier. It's no criticism to your articulate communication with the community, I think your approach is exceptional, but I'm not strong enough to simply "not read" the updates and spoilers. :p

Anyway keep up the good work, I'll let myself be surprised by for chapter 4 when it comes. ^^

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes