VN Ren'Py Abandoned Connected [v0.2.5] [ChainZero]

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes

mentore

Feb 28, 2019
I really hope that this "abandoned" flag it's only a mistake! This is one of the most good made games!

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I really hope that this "abandoned" flag it's only a mistake! This is one of the most good made games!
ofc, it is a mistake, the game goes just well (see ll those links in the OP), dev works on it constantly and pushes updates regularly :BootyTime:
kidding aside, it has happened more than once that "abandoned" games come alive...sad thing is most of such games were abandoned again, shortly after.
be prepared for the worst, hope for the best.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
kidding aside, it has happened more than once that "abandoned" games come alive...sad thing is most of such games were abandoned again, shortly after.
be prepared for the worst, hope for the best.
Ummm. Based on the increasingly dejected series of posts by the dev, and the way he just disappeared without any explanation on his Patreon, I would say the chances of this coming back are less than 1%. I think we will see the return of High Life, Our Fate, and My Sweet Neighbors, all returning at the same time, before we see Connected again. The three month wait before the official tag was a formality. The writing, as they say, was on the wall a long time before. We can all speculate as to the reason, but nobody here knows him personally, so we will never know.

I personally think he is still around, probably lurking around here reading our posts, and has decided to do something else with his life. Maybe he is working on a different game under a new name. Remember one of his earlier posts said his dream was to do hand-drawn art comics, or perhaps he will just stay around as a player and forget about development. Connected was probably a lot more work, and a lot less lucrative than he imagined, and coupled with the stress of day to day life, wasn't worth it anymore.

I doubt that Connected, like most games here, brought in minimum wage after paying for all the hardware and labor. He probably realized he can make more money as a waiter somewhere, making coffee at Starbucks, or working in a hardware store for a lot less stress, and a lot more free time.

Except for a tiny number of devs, probably less than 20 of all the games here, none of these games actually make the devs minimum wage in the US once you subtract thousands of dollars in hardware and hundreds of dollars a month in extra electricity costs from running your PCs at full speed 24 hours a day. You either do it from another country where even $100-$200 a month is a decent income, or it is a total labor of love where you do it for your fans and your own enjoyment, and a little extra money to offset part of the hardware costs is a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Ummm. Based on the increasingly dejected series of posts by the dev, and the way it was abandoned without any explanation on his Patreon, I would say the chances of this coming back are less than 1%. I think we will see the return of High Life, Our Fate, and My Sweet Neighbors, all returning at the same time, before we see Connected again. The three month wait before the official tag was a formality. The writing, as they say, was on the wall a long time before.
the end was abrupt, with no one having any reliable info, apart from mere speculations pro/cons dev.
im not an optimist also, yet, time will tell as always.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
the end was abrupt, with no one having any reliable info, apart from mere speculations pro/cons dev.
im not an optimist also, yet, time will tell as always.
Yes. Exactly. You have been here a lot longer than I have. Can you think of any games that were abandoned with total silence from the dev for many months, and then actually came back to be something decent?

I am trying to remember myself, and I can't think of any that really came back in a major way. There are many with a very long break in development, but the dev would show up every once in awhile to let the fans know he was thinking about or slightly working on the game. The only one that comes to mind with total silence from the dev that eventially came back is Reincarnotica, but we haven't really seen much new content, so I am not yet convinced it will get very far.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Yes. Exactly. You have been here a lot longer than I have. Can you think of any games that were abandoned with total silence from the dev for many months, and then actually came back to be something decent?

I am trying to remember myself, and I can't think of any that really came back in a major way. There are many with a very long break in development, but the dev would show up every once in awhile to let the fans know he was thinking about or slightly working on the game. The only one that comes to mind with total silence from the dev that eventially came back is Reincarnotica, but we haven't really seen much new content, so I am not yet convinced it will get very far.
I havent followed those games closely, yet I think LaS (Love/Submission) and BttC (Back to the Cabin) could be kinda similar examples. Though in LaS the dev stated he needs break etc..., so Im not sure if that qualify as "abrupt" end. BttC first end was quite unexpected without much info, apart from that dev is working on it blahblah... He did return after a prolonged time/break, published an update or two, and disappeared again. Probably there is a few more IIm not aware of, for example Ive never played/tried that Reincarnotica game you have mentioned.
Anyway the point is - weird shit happens (to paraphrase one game:BootyTime:), so no one know what could be expected with this one as well. In any case best hopes/wishes for the dev.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
All these arrogant facepalms under my old post look ridiculous now. I just told the truth and sincerely regretted that a good game had failed.
Well, it certainly looks like you were proven right. I thought the same thing myself, but I didn't say anything, hoping I was wrong. Clearly, the whole idea of a remake basically ended the game. It was totally unnecessary too. I don't like to attribute bad motives when I don't know for sure, but it never made sense to me. Too bad.

biggestboyo

Aug 4, 2020
I bet this was a cash grab from the very beginning, how many updates were there b4 the dev decided to "remake"? Keep dishing out wallpapers while milking the patrons for a few months and poof, gone. The fact that the dev wanted a remake was suspicious in itself, why remake a game with such good reviews from the start.

May 4, 2017
I bet this was a cash grab from the very beginning, how many updates were there b4 the dev decided to "remake"? Keep dishing out wallpapers while milking the patrons for a few months and poof, gone. The fact that the dev wanted a remake was suspicious in itself, why remake a game with such good reviews from the start.
Nah it's most likely a case of lost motivation. It is very difficult when something you care about doesn't exactly turn out the way you hope it does. That said it's not an excuse. He should inform the people supporting him and deactivate his patreon instead of taking their money. Doesn't matter if they have a lot of money or don't mind. It is a matter of personal responsibility and respect towards those people who supported him for months without getting anything in return, no matter what his personal situation is right now.

tryone8

Nov 14, 2017
Nah it's most likely a case of lost motivation. It is very difficult when something you care about doesn't exactly turn out the way you hope it does. That said it's not an excuse. He should inform the people supporting him and deactivate his patreon instead of taking their money. Doesn't matter if they have a lot of money or don't mind. It is a matter of personal responsibility and respect towards those people who supported him for months without getting anything in return, no matter what his personal situation is right now.
NO NO ITS A CASH GRAB!!! CASH. GRAB. NOT REAL FAKE NONE OF ITS REAL ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD ITS NOT REAL DONT BELIEVE HIM DONT DONT DO IT ITS NOT REAL

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes