VN Ren'Py Corporate Culture [v0.6] [sqwl]

4.30 star(s) 152 Votes

CaballeroOne

May 18, 2018
Hello! One simple question from a newbie (I just read the tags of "Corporate Culture") like me: Is this game animated? Thanks in advance! Carpe Diem!

Last edited:

deadh30775n

Mar 19, 2021
Hello! One simple question from a newbie (I just read the tags of "Corporate Culture") like me: Is this game animated? Thanks in advance! Carpe Viem!
1) How can you be a newbie if you have been a member of this site since 2018?

2) Don't know if you accidently misspelled or you actually think Carpe viem is a word. Anyhow Carpe diem is the correct term in case you actually thought "viem" is.

3)Now coming back to answering your question or more like giving you a hint, Why do you think there isn't a animated tag in the op? I mean there should be a reason why there isn't one, right?

Last edited:

dinmor

Aug 3, 2017
Hello! One simple question from a newbie (I just read the tags of "Corporate Culture") like me: Is this game animated? Thanks in advance! Carpe Diem!
Its a renpy game, which mostly consist of still pictures, although some games have animated sex scenes and very very few have animations sprinkled in in non sex scenes

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
You'll never hear me complain about Corporate Culture having too many characters. A number of them are among the best developed and memorable I've ever seen in a VN, and the game world wouldn't seem nearly so realistic and immersive if it wasn't populated by so many interesting people. There's honestly not a single one I'd axe given the opportunity...not even my least favorite Ashley. They all have a role to play and bring something to the table. I also have a lot of fun speculating about which characters will be important to the plot and which will be future LIs for Edward. Don't tell me I'm the only one who has thought long and hard about a possible geriatric threesome between Ed, Mrs. Turner, and Ashley's grandma. OK, OK, so I am the only one, but my basic point still stands.

There are actually several characters we've heard mentioned but haven't seen yet that I'm really looking forward to meeting. Jack Brown, for instance. Will he give Edward his blessing to date his daughter and personally mentor him in the cutthroat ways of the petroleum industry or will it turn out that the businessman prefers employees and potential sons-in-law who don't have a penchant for walking headfirst into doors? I'd also love to see Ed meet up with his parents on screen. His dad seems like a real colorful fellow, and I'm quite looking forward to more legendarily awkward yet hilarious conversations between our MC and his mom.

jufot

May 15, 2021
As interesting as Elsa is, I think I'll always oppose her getting together with Edward.
I used to see exactly one path that could lead to an Edward and Elsa romance that I could accept. That's one that would allow us to see what's wrong with Elsa and why she became the way she is. We'd have to see her as someone who is as broken as Edward and someone who needs remaking and reinventing just as much as he does. The meaner and more cynical and more devious she seems to become the harder it is for me to imagine a scenario like that. To be honest, even if Elsa does change herself I think I'd still want to see Ed with someone who has treated him nicer along the journey.
It's funny, I don't see the two of them ever getting together, but for an entirely different reason.

Elsa already has her shit together. She has the intellect, the personality, the looks, the money and yes, the attitude necessary to be successful in life, both professionally in big oil, and personally. She wants Edward for her as-yet-unknown ends, and towards that she is willing to put in the effort to improve him as an employee, as a man, as a person. But when all is said and done, she ultimately doesn't need him because people like her don't need people like him.

Edward, on the other hand, is a mopey doormat. His ego is writing cheques his personality can't cash. He knows that to have any chance at all - at work, at life, and especially with women he so desperately desires - he needs to rebuild himself from scratch. He knows that his mind is diseased, and Elsa has the cure. It's why he goes along with her behaviour, even though he is secretly seething with contempt. Why wouldn't he? Elsa represents everything he is not.

Elsa could have almost anyone she wants. Why would she ever want Edward? Even if he were to go through some damn near magical transformation into a desirable man, why risk it?

That's why they shouldn't end up together :)

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I'd like to look forward to Lucy getting pregnant and showing a big baby bump, but I doubt that's part of the plan.
A preggo Lucy would no doubt look gorgeous and radiant, but are we sure Edward's actually ready to be a dad at this point? To be sure, life tends to happen whether you're ready or not, but I hope if that scenario pans out Ed will undergo the most extensive course of prenatal counseling in the history of fatherhood. It would be fascinating to see the reactions of the other characters, though. Ed's mom would probably be thrilled. I could totally see Tommy doing a fantastic job of filling the fun uncle role. Aunt Elsa is a bit harder to imagine, but Aunt Zoe would be quite possible I think.

Reactions: Bruce F. Lee

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Elsa already has her shit together. She has the intellect, the personality, the looks, the money and yes, the attitude necessary to be successful in life, both professionally in big oil, and personally. She wants Edward for her as-yet-unknown ends, and towards that she is willing to put in the effort to improve him as an employee, as a man, as a person. But when all is said and done, she ultimately doesn't need him because people like her don't need people like him.
I've come to the opposite conclusion personally -- I think Elsa does need Edward on some level, but I just haven't been able to decide exactly why. Ed personally probably wouldn't be irreplaceable to her...she could no doubt find someone else to fill the same role in her life he does, but I feel like she probably would need a replacement of some sort. Another project, possibly another doormat to try to chisel into something more. I have a couple of theories on why this might be.

One option is she might have a savior complex despite not coming across as a generally altruistic sort of person. She does seem to have the feeling that everything she does, even when she's at her most abrasive or her most cryptic, is helping Edward on some level. She thinks she's giving Ed what he needs even if she can't exactly explain why he needs it. Perhaps she wants to feel like she's giving something back to the world and doing something good even as she rather obsessively strives for success and status. She might just like to be needed and to be the most important presence in someone's life. Of course, she also seems to have uses for Ed that will help her in her own rise to power as well so her motives certainly aren't entirely pure even in her own mind.

Another possibility is that she really needs to have a human punching bag to lash out at occasionally. When she is giving Edward what she considers to be the unvarnished truth his feelings be damned, she may be letting off steam and releasing some of the anger and frustration she feels at the same time. Elsa doesn't seem like a particularly happy and healthy person to me. Her world is narrow. Her singular focus at the moment seems to be climbing the corporate ladder at EO. She's willing to devote her nights to working late and perhaps even ally with a sleazebag like Neil just to get ahead. She has a few friends, but she's admitted that it's more a sense of loyalty than shared interests that continue to tie her to them. I've never seen her as passionate about anything as Lucy is about Game of Thrones. I don't think she even cares about her work as much as someone like Emma who is obsessed with the minutiae of reports and seems to have a real relish for process. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Elsa and Alice actually come from similarly privileged backgrounds, but Alice seems to enjoy her life of privilege much, much more.

Elsa could have almost anyone she wants. Why would she ever want Edward? Even if he were to go through some damn near magical transformation into a desirable man, why risk it?
I think if I met Elsa in real life I'd be intrigued by her intelligence and enjoy her cynical sense of humor, but I probably wouldn't consider dating her. There are a number of boxes she wouldn't check for me -- most notably, I doubt she'd be a very supportive or loving person in a relationship, and those are two very important personality traits for me. And I can imagine she might turn off a whole host of men for various reasons. Insecure guys wouldn't like feeling inferior next to her. Proud fellows might find her insulting and disrespectful. Proper gents might be scandalized by her bluntness. She doesn't exactly ooze sexual availability either which might turn off the Brians and Neils of the world. Maybe there aren't as many guys as you might think who'd be able to see her warts and all as Edward has and still be interested...and even Ed as you say is seething with resentment underneath even as he generally carries out her orders quite dutifully. Granted, though, there'd always be options for someone like Elsa. There'd always be people who'd admire her beauty, drive, and intelligence or would seek to ride their way to status and success on her coattails. Many might not be great options necessarily, but they'd definitely be there.

4.30 star(s) 152 Votes