BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
I think a guide would be wonderful, but I feel like its difficult to write a guide that will tell players everything they want to know without being overwhelming
This has legitimately been the biggest problem for this game since I started playing. Several people have talked about doing a full run with the comment system active so they can make a tutorial playthrough to explain how to approach the game. Sadly, I don't believe anyone has actually finished one.

Reactions: Kalloi

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Oh, speaking of, I didn't really understand what the comment system actually is, don't suppose someone could break it down for me?

Tarthi

Jul 3, 2020
Hey, question about breaking tier 1 vulnerabilities, when the game says "The Chosen will consider using these tactics when they believe themselves to be at risk of reaching level 3 (10000 damage) in a circumstance", what does 'believe' there actually mean? Does it mean that the vulnerability breaks the turn before they would *actually* tick over to 10.000 damage, or is it calculated some other way? Language is oddly vague there and it definitely feels up in the air as to when they actually break from what I've tried

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
Hey, question about breaking tier 1 vulnerabilities, when the game says "The Chosen will consider using these tactics when they believe themselves to be at risk of reaching level 3 (10000 damage) in a circumstance", what does 'believe' there actually mean? Does it mean that the vulnerability breaks the turn before they would *actually* tick over to 10.000 damage, or is it calculated some other way? Language is oddly vague there and it definitely feels up in the air as to when they actually break from what I've tried
Well, the wording is vague on purpose. The Chosen decide to use certain tactics to reduce circumstance damage if they think they're at risk of getting to 10,000 damage. They check several different variables, some of which being how much damage they're taking each turn, how much longer they're surrounded, and (I believe) whether or not other Chosen are surrounded.

RisingValiant

Feb 10, 2020
If I can offer a bit of feedback, I think the forsaken should be more closely integrated in your play, specifically I think they should have some sort of immediate use, the current implementation results in what is effectively like you unlocking a new tool in zelda and being told 'you don't get to use this for the next two hours'. By the time the forsaken are useful you might not end up using them right because you have no idea how they work, and having some way to ease into using them would be nice, it also feels like a nice reward for winning.

Reactions: tpk and Kalloi

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
Well, the wording is vague on purpose. The Chosen decide to use certain tactics to reduce circumstance damage if they think they're at risk of getting to 10,000 damage. They check several different variables, some of which being how much damage they're taking each turn, how much longer they're surrounded, and (I believe) whether or not other Chosen are surrounded.
Yep! And for that last part I would say whether their teammates are surrounded or out about also play into it, especially if one of their teamates uses "distract" that reduces circumstance of their fellow chosen while surrounded.

Reactions: BerglorMan94

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
If I can offer a bit of feedback, I think the forsaken should be more closely integrated in your play, specifically I think they should have some sort of immediate use, the current implementation results in what is effectively like you unlocking a new tool in zelda and being told 'you don't get to use this for the next two hours'. By the time the forsaken are useful you might not end up using them right because you have no idea how they work, and having some way to ease into using them would be nice, it also feels like a nice reward for winning.
We're actually in luck a bit in that department, with the newest update is the rampancy distortion along with a getting a forsaken with the a demon knight trait that means she'll always be able to deploy no matter how much EE so you can deploy her at 1 EE through as much as 300 or more EE depending on how much her original cost is as a forsaken.
And this month over on subscribestar CSDev revealed that the focus of this month is improvements/updates to the forsaken training system, one of which is now you can train your forsaken passively throughout the loops to raise corruption parameters and fighting styles. I'll quote post below:

"As I mentioned in the release post, the focus of the coming update will be to make the Forsaken more user-friendly. This will involve improving the interface for the existing Forsaken management options, but it'll also include some completely new gameplay features. In particular, I've been looking for ways to show the Forsaken interacting with each other, and this presents a good excuse for doing so: a new system where you select one Forsaken to "passively" train the corruption levels and combat styles of the others.

The existing training system will stay, and it will remain the strongest option for quickly changing and improving the subject's combat performance, but it will no longer be strictly necessary. A major weakness of the existing system is that it consumes in-game days when used, so that a player who wasn't able to end the loop early would have no time to train the new Forsaken from that loop. New Forsaken can sometimes have combat styles which don't work well with their corruption path or with the player's needs, so the player might not even be able to use them until two loops later. On top of that, even if the player does end the loop early, the training system is a lot to take in, and not catching on immediately means that the following loop will be harder (which makes it harder to finish the next loop early as well - the problem compounds upon itself).

With passive training, players will be able to ensure that their Forsaken are able to reach a baseline level of competence in time to be useful in the next loop. Corruption gains from passive training are also simplified, so that it's possible to hit high values of Hostility, Deviancy, and Disgrace without having to worry about hitting mindbreak-levels of Obedience in the process. This should give the player some breathing room before jumping into the faster expertise gains of personalized training."

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
To my knowledge, the Portrait system was implemented so people can use their own pictures for their favorite Chosen/Forsaken or to download fan made portrait packs such as Kalloi's. I don't think CSDev has any plans on expanding the system or adding in other visual elements, or at the very least its not on their current production plan. As for Kalloi's direction with their pack and the difference between full and lite... I don't really use the portrait system so my information might be a bit off. To the best of my knowledge, Kalloi's idea for their pack is to give every Chosen name multiple portraits that go with the personality behind the name they're given. This means they make a Portrait for the Chosen, Civilian, Forsaken, Superior, and I think they even have some Superior Forsaken portraits as well. Each Portrait is used for different Vignettes, and each one has different emotions attached to different actions done to them and so on and so forth.

I believe the initial inspiration for the designs are classic Magical Girl anime and the designs are very cute and soft because of it (at least the ones I've seen). As for the difference between Lite and Full... I think its just the amount it's completed? I think Lite is an old partial portrait pack and the Full is what it says it is.

As for other Portrait Packs... I remember seeing some many months ago on this forum so you might have some success searching for "Portrait Pack" here, but they probably won't function correctly at this point because of a rework in how the Portrait system works a few months back.

I hope this was helpful!
Sorry for the late reply! Been busy with a variety of things and in general I haven't been very motivated to post on f95 for a bit but you more or less answered everything I needed to by the time I showed up so ty for taking the time, even though you don't use the portrait system you still got everything right about it including my initial inspiration as well, the only thing would be the difference between the lite and full versions of my pack, which I might add some extra notation for the next release so people will know specifics of them

But yeah! Main difference between the Lite and Full versions is the full version has the archive of all the portraits ever completed, even with hairstyles/outfits combinations for design never used to make packs along with additional packs for some names allowing you to change outfits/costumes of chosen/forsaken in-game and some CG previews whenever I finish them. The Lite version is up-to-date with the full version except it doesn't come with all things I mentioned for the full-version.

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
Sorry for the late reply! Been busy with a variety of things and in general I haven't been very motivated to post on f95 for a bit but you more or less answered everything I needed to by the time I showed up so ty for taking the time, even though you don't use the portrait system you still got everything right about it including my initial inspiration as well, the only thing would be the difference between the lite and full versions of my pack, which I might add some extra notation for the next release so people will know specifics of them

But yeah! Main difference between the Lite and Full versions is the full version has the archive of all the portraits ever completed, even with hairstyles/outfits combinations for design never used to make packs along with additional packs for some names allowing you to change outfits/costumes of chosen/forsaken in-game and some CG previews whenever I finish them. The Lite version is up-to-date with the full version except it doesn't come with all things I mentioned for the full-version.
Ah so that's the difference. Yeah, even though I don't use the portrait system I enjoy reading your posts about your image packs and stuff. :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: tpk and Kalloi

Arachnofiend

Jul 22, 2017
With passive training, players will be able to ensure that their Forsaken are able to reach a baseline level of competence in time to be useful in the next loop. Corruption gains from passive training are also simplified, so that it's possible to hit high values of Hostility, Deviancy, and Disgrace without having to worry about hitting mindbreak-levels of Obedience in the process. This should give the player some breathing room before jumping into the faster expertise gains of personalized training."
Oh this sounds terrific, should definitely make using the forsaken more manageable.

zertyx23

Jan 16, 2020
What could a fun addition would be that if a forsaken know one of the chosen, a chance exist that this forsekan visit them in a scene with variation in function of how much the chosen is already corrupted.

Doctor Shark

Nov 7, 2019
Do you need to have someone assigned as Bait in order to get relatives as Chosen or how does that work, exactly?

As someone who loves this game but has never finished a second loop due to being utterly confused by the training system--my main issue is that it's just so many options all dumped on you at once with very little guidance. Definitely looking forward to what the next version brings in terms of that.

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
CSdev The save file for the corrupted save that was requested in the blogspot website. Campaign, 2nd loop, day 7 or day 8, bait and relationships set, T1 Core broken before T1 minor Chosen appearing, and I think the writing/reading commentary mode was set to reading only.
This ended up giving me an "end of file" exception, which I believe usually means that the program was stopped in the middle of writing the file because it was closed or crashed or something like that. I don't think it's possible to recover the data.
Oh, I have a character that I'm damn near certain was set as the twin of another one, but neither one is acknowledging it. Don't suppose this is something I can just fix by opening the save file and changing a value or something? If it is, what would I even open it with? I tried it with WordPad, and while there's a bunch of legible text, there's also a lot that's... not. So I figured it's meant to be used with something else.
Most files can be opened with WordPad, but that doesn't mean that there's a neat one-character-to-one-variable correspondence in what you see when you open it like that. Even if you were able to edit in a relationship with cheat engine or something, there would definitely be buggy behavior because of the other characters' data not reflecting the relationship. For the same reason, it's trickier than it sounds to add it as a cheat.
Oh, speaking of, I didn't really understand what the comment system actually is, don't suppose someone could break it down for me?
Originally, it was a system that let players make their own tutorial playthroughs which would guide other players move-by-move from Day 1 to the end of the loop. But because no one seemed to be using it, I didn't update it for the release that made it possible to use Forsaken (and the comment system automatically turns itself off if it detects Forsaken in the playthrough). In its current state, it's not very useful.
So, weird feature request CSdev : Could we have the option to manually shift our Forsaken? I'm not into every chosen growing cocks, but I think it'd be nice to be able to modify certain forsaken to suit their positions after they've been captured.
I'm planning on adding cheats for Forsaken in this update, so I'll add manual shifting to the list of planned cheats. I'd also like to add an "in-universe" way of shifting Forsaken, but I'm not completely sure how it should work yet.
What could a fun addition would be that if a forsaken know one of the chosen, a chance exist that this forsekan visit them in a scene with variation in function of how much the chosen is already corrupted.
This update will have some content which should scratch that itch. It isn't random, but when you set one Forsaken to train another for the first time, they'll get a scene together. And it will vary based on their relationship and their corruption levels.
Do you need to have someone assigned as Bait in order to get relatives as Chosen or how does that work, exactly?

As someone who loves this game but has never finished a second loop due to being utterly confused by the training system--my main issue is that it's just so many options all dumped on you at once with very little guidance. Definitely looking forward to what the next version brings in terms of that.
Yes, if you don't have anyone assigned as Bait, then randomly-generated relatives won't show up (custom Chosen who are related to each other can still appear through). This is because Forsaken being related to each other doesn't always work out in the player's favor, so I wanted it to be possible to avoid it when you don't want it.

Glad to hear that you're looking forward to the new system! I think it'll make campaign mode a lot more accessible to the people who have been ignoring it up until now.

Atacama

Jul 13, 2019
I've been trying to follow how to play this game, but have been having difficulty getting the concepts down. I decided it might be a good idea to try following the "Day 1-12 Guide.txt" file that came with the Portraits-full download. I unpacked the Resplendent Tones.par file and imported it into the game. Once I do that, however, when I hit the Load Game button, nothing happens. If I pick Single Play, I get a randomly generated team to fight and not the Tones.
Additionally, if I quit the game and start it again, it just seems to hang without loading the full game (black screen) as long as the saves.sav file is present.
Can anyone offer any guidance on what I am doing incorrectly? Thank you.

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
I've been trying to follow how to play this game, but have been having difficulty getting the concepts down. I decided it might be a good idea to try following the "Day 1-12 Guide.txt" file that came with the Portraits-full download. I unpacked the Resplendent Tones.par file and imported it into the game. Once I do that, however, when I hit the Load Game button, nothing happens. If I pick Single Play, I get a randomly generated team to fight and not the Tones.
Additionally, if I quit the game and start it again, it just seems to hang without loading the full game (black screen) as long as the saves.sav file is present.
Subli is right about that team, I’ve talked about it with CSDev about it for a month or two and it seems like the really old team packs aren’t able to import or even able to export properly, CSDev is still working on a fix but in the meantime I did find a workaround by recreating them in the custom chosen maker for campaign mode and was planning on replacing it for the next release of my portrait pack. I’m at work now but later when I get home I will upload the team pack here for you

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
Here it is! One thing to note is that with making them with the campaign mode chosen maker is that I'm only able to export them as a campaign mode team/save so it will be in campaign mode when you import them to the game but other than that they will show up in the same order and have the same pattern so you will be able to follow the guide fully! :D

3.80 star(s) 55 Votes