balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
With the newest dungeon enemies are starting to move into tedious territory. Lamias in particular have a ton of HP but hardly give any rewards so fighting them is nothing but a pain.

Up till then I think there was a decent balance of enemies being strong without keeping you in the fight to the point where clicking the same combos got tedious but moving forward you should probably give some thought to how to keep the fights engaging without becoming an annoying grind against HP sponges.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
With the newest dungeon enemies are starting to move into tedious territory. Lamias in particular have a ton of HP but hardly give any rewards so fighting them is nothing but a pain.

Up till then I think there was a decent balance of enemies being strong without keeping you in the fight to the point where clicking the same combos got tedious but moving forward you should probably give some thought to how to keep the fights engaging without becoming an annoying grind against HP sponges.
Good to know, I haven't received a whole lot of feedback in terms of combat in general, so I only have my own playtests to go off of, which can be rather limited since players can reach certain areas with a great deal of variance in their levels and stats. I'm trying to find a good balance with enemy rewards, where the diminishing silver rewards give you a reason to win the battles you get into, but don't make grinding for silver something that feels necessary. The base stats of the Lamia are almost identical to the Orc from the first dungeon though, so I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention the Orc's, especially because the encounter rate in the first dungeon is higher than it is in the second one. Once you enter the second part of the dungeon, the Lamia's stats do go up a decent amount though, so that might have been what you noticed. I'll probably look at moving their stats around to give them more power instead of more health, because I do want to avoid bogging down combat encounters.

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
With the orcs you do have the beds right there to rest up in between encounters and with their high strength there was a more desperate "feel" to the fight; you had to switch between offense and defense and if you win you feel like you really managed to pull something off. They're also at the end of the dungeon so you're only likely to fight one or two on the way to the boss.

With the Lamias they're present all throughout, the fight always takes a while, and it's more of a foregone conclusion - you'll win if you're at full HP and lose if you're at half or less - so it's just slogging through a gauntlet of long fights where you're using whatever your bread and butter combo is over and over.

Something to start differentiating enemies more might help with this question of how to make enemies progressively stronger without making each one a marathon. Different resistances to each element, special actions you can take in the fights, just something to make you want to read it rather than just click click click through.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
With the orcs you do have the beds right there to rest up in between encounters and with their high strength there was a more desperate "feel" to the fight; you had to switch between offense and defense and if you win you feel like you really managed to pull something off. They're also at the end of the dungeon so you're only likely to fight one or two on the way to the boss.

With the Lamias they're present all throughout, the fight always takes a while, and it's more of a foregone conclusion - you'll win if you're at full HP and lose if you're at half or less - so it's just slogging through a gauntlet of long fights where you're using whatever your bread and butter combo is over and over.

Something to start differentiating enemies more might help with this question of how to make enemies progressively stronger without making each one a marathon. Different resistances to each element, special actions you can take in the fights, just something to make you want to read it rather than just click click click through.
I do add in unique things to each fight that are intended to make different combos more effective against some enemies, like how the Orc has a rage mechanic that you should prepare for with the shield from Ice + Lightning. The Lamia's weakening attack isn't as impactful though, which probably makes things less interesting, and makes the high hp a bigger issue.
Is this game strictly text based or is there images/gifs aswell?
There are images of a few of the characters in-game as of the latest release, but it is largely text driven.

Reactions: deskald and Tjock

ADIDAS

Feb 3, 2018
Is this game strictly text based or is there images/gifs aswell?
Right now there are a few character renders but more are planned to be added. Other than that it is purely text based which is fine in this instance as the author is extremely good with descriptive text so you can envision the scenes in your mind's eye.

deskald

Apr 20, 2018
Is it possible in a started game to have the portraits?

I clicked the "Click here to fix bugs" button and can't go to he church.

Last edited:

ADIDAS

Feb 3, 2018
Is it possible in a started game to have the portraits?

I clicked the "Click here to fix bugs" button and can't go to he church.
I'm pretty sure you gain access to the church after you go through either the first or second dungeon.

deskald

Apr 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure you gain access to the church after you go through either the first or second dungeon.
I loaded a previous save where I had completed the second dungeon and returned to the city, there was the church option.
But when I clicked the fixed bug option the church option disappeared. Perhaps I should redo the statue quest inside the second dungeon.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
I loaded a previous save where I had completed the second dungeon and returned to the city, there was the church option.
But when I clicked the fixed bug option the church option disappeared. Perhaps I should redo the statue quest inside the second dungeon.
Clicking the fix bug option will reset the variable that lets you visit the church. It was only intended to be used if you started a new game with version 0.8.0 - 0.8.4 of the game, because those versions wouldn't have created the variables in the first place. If you had the option to visit the church at one point, then you most likely loaded from an older version or started with a newer version, which means instead of fixing the aforementioned bugs it instead overwrote those variables back down to their starting values. Re-visiting the statue should fix your issue. Portraits can be turned on through the "full menu" which you can use from the sidebar if you are somewhere you can change like the bar. There should be an option to enable images through there.

Reactions: deskald

deskald

Apr 20, 2018
Clicking the fix bug option will reset the variable that lets you visit the church. It was only intended to be used if you started a new game with version 0.8.0 - 0.8.4 of the game, because those versions wouldn't have created the variables in the first place. If you had the option to visit the church at one point, then you most likely loaded from an older version or started with a newer version, which means instead of fixing the aforementioned bugs it instead overwrote those variables back down to their starting values. Re-visiting the statue should fix your issue. Portraits can be turned on through the "full menu" which you can use from the sidebar if you are somewhere you can change like the bar. There should be an option to enable images through there.
Thanks for the help.
I'm playing the game since an older version then 0.8.x.

I don't have a full menu, only a quick menu with no option to active the 2/3d portraits.
Immagine.png

Also is normal to haven't yet returned the quest for the second dungeon till now? Is it still a content in development or I got some bug?

If I restart the game Claire sell and "armored top", but plyaing from an older version I don't have it.

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
Thanks for the help.
I'm playing the game since an older version then 0.8.x.

I don't have a full menu, only a quick menu with no option to active the 2/3d portraits.
View attachment 523362

Also is normal to haven't yet returned the quest for the second dungeon till now? Is it still a content in development or I got some bug?

If I restart the game Claire sell and "armored top", but plyaing from an older version I don't have it.
FullMenu.PNG
Full Menu should appear if you are somewhere you can change, like your room at the bar. You can see it on the left here. About the second dungeon, are you asking about turning the quest in? Because you currently can't do that, as the dungeon is not completed. Not sure about the armored top, it should appear no matter what if you are using the current version, there aren't any variables that effect whether it appears or not.

Reactions: deskald

Cumknuckles

Oct 10, 2018
I finally got around to playing this for more than a minute and it's as great as I expected but I'm somewhat worried that switch to RPGMaker will end up making moving around lot slower, usually I find needing to actually micromanage the movement of your character instead of just picking a location you want to move to a total waste of time so I certainly hope that once the switch to RPGMaker is done moving from one location to another will still be instant and take just 1 click.
If I had realized earlier that RPGMaker change was happening I'd have probably tried to suggest just switching to tweego instead of porting to a whole new engine but I assume it's already far enough along that aborting the port doesn't seem like a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rzy

StickyIckyCiC

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2019
I finally got around to playing this for more than a minute and it's as great as I expected but I'm somewhat worried that switch to RPGMaker will end up making moving around lot slower, usually I find needing to actually micromanage the movement of your character instead of just picking a location you want to move to a total waste of time so I certainly hope that once the switch to RPGMaker is done moving from one location to another will still be instant and take just 1 click.
If I had realized earlier that RPGMaker change was happening I'd have probably tried to suggest just switching to tweego instead of porting to a whole new engine but I assume it's already far enough along that aborting the port doesn't seem like a good option.
Yeah, the port is a few days from being completed, so going back on it now is definitely not an option. Tweego would have allowed me to continue creating the project in its current state, but removes pretty much every feature that I used Twine for in the first place. I really enjoy the visual interface of Twine, and more importantly, the ability to quickly test out the story starting from a certain passage. You can still do that with Tweego, but I’m pretty sure it would require me to compile the project for each test, and switch the starting passage to get to where I needed to be. I was using Tweego to compile multiple twine stories due to them getting too large and causing lag, and the compiling thing was one of the biggest annoyances, especially when there is a bug that I don’t know the exact cause of.

I plan to eventually have an actual town in Elmgar to explore, but other locations like the dungeons and quest locations will just be selected from a list, maybe later on there would be a world map, but you wouldn’t need to travel around it a lot, it would be there mostly for visual effect. Also, I think I was going to do this anyways, but I’ll write it down in my todo list to add a quick travel function once the town is actually implemented. Once you’ve visited a location, you’d be able to instantly travel from anywhere in Elmgar, since having to walk back and forth between places you've already been can be a hassle.

Reactions: Cumknuckles

Cumknuckles

Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, the port is a few days from being completed, so going back on it now is definitely not an option. Tweego would have allowed me to continue creating the project in its current state, but removes pretty much every feature that I used Twine for in the first place. I really enjoy the visual interface of Twine, and more importantly, the ability to quickly test out the story starting from a certain passage. You can still do that with Tweego, but I’m pretty sure it would require me to compile the project for each test, and switch the starting passage to get to where I needed to be. I was using Tweego to compile multiple twine stories due to them getting too large and causing lag, and the compiling thing was one of the biggest annoyances, especially when there is a bug that I don’t know the exact cause of.

I plan to eventually have an actual town in Elmgar to explore, but other locations like the dungeons and quest locations will just be selected from a list, maybe later on there would be a world map, but you wouldn’t need to travel around it a lot, it would be there mostly for visual effect. Also, I think I was going to do this anyways, but I’ll write it down in my todo list to add a quick travel function once the town is actually implemented. Once you’ve visited a location, you’d be able to instantly travel from anywhere in Elmgar, since having to walk back and forth between places you've already been can be a hassle.
Sounds better than I was expecting (y) but just a note that for using tweego one of the benefits I like is instantly being able to test any changes by having a compile script using the -w(atch) parameter running, meaning all I have to do is refresh a page to see any changes I've done(and without losing the position I am in the game) though of course doing that in the second or two after changing something can cause issues due to compile not being finished yet. (Also being able to set a starting passage is but haven't messed with it since usually I'd just get near the thing I'm testing and just reload after compiling)

Reactions: StickyIckyCiC
4.00 star(s) 32 Votes