Ren'Py Abandoned Cutely Suspicious [v0.12.033] [Ellaraia]

3.10 star(s) 21 Votes

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
Ellaraia You know you could just allow the player to set the relations. is what quite a few people do these days. others have a incest on condition in their code that changes dialogue sets, which can either be enabled via patch, special code, or what the player sets the relationships too. e.g. if player sets to Mom, Mother, mom, mother, mum or Mum, they would use an if statement that would set a incest variable, most like inc, to true, and it would then chose the cest version of dialogue, this is quite the complicated choice but allows for better dialogue.

The most simple way, is to write the dialogue in a way were the character call eachother by a generic term, e.g. Hey friend. but what the code would read would be something like "Hey String_variable_here."where you would have a relationship variable and a nickname variable the player can set on top of their name. Say their name is Susan, and they are the sister, the player can set nickname suzie, or sis. and if the dialogue is written in a way you talk to people using their nicknames either would work fine, line like "I can't beleive I am having sex with my sis." wouldn't work so well without the taboo relation tho, "I can't believe I am having sex with my suzie." doesn't make as much sense.

So to put that more simply, say the default is landlady, and their name all the time dialogue would look something like this: This is my landlady Angela, "Hey Angela." where if they set relationship to Mother, and nickname to Mom, it would then become: This is my Mother Angela, "Hey Mom."

If you wrote the dialogue this way using variables in place of relationships and nicknames like you do with names, you would be able to avoid the need for a patch all together and still have the incest content while also appeasing the patreon overlords, because it isn't you who puts incest into the game.

Reactions: botc76 and Paprika

L0thar

Jul 24, 2017
For anyone who likes reading, a link to the first of 10 dev diaries (the rest are linked at the end of this one) about the design of the game.
I have read. I think that everyone (even allergic to reading ;)) should read this.
This allows you to understand the mechanism of the game and helps you understand what the goal is how to play.

However, I think some walktrough will be needed.
Not necessarily to go through the game step by step with him.
Judging by the author's description, there will be many possibilities and different interactions between the characters so probably it would not even be possible. However, it would give us some sense that we are heading in the game in the direction we have chosen.

Reactions: Ellaraia

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
This has a Big Brother flavor to it in that the older girl has or wants a blog to make money, doing dishes for the younger girl and being spanked if you can't pay your bills or the girls get into trouble. CuteS 2020-04-05 10-08-42-00.jpg (Yes the names are from BB.)
BB you buy books for the older sister and in this one you buy books for the "landlady" (mom).
Spying on all the women just like in BB, getting the older one in trouble when she comes home from a party and in BB it is done with Cigs.
In BB you have to buy a camera for the photo shot of the aunt and mom and in here you need it for the older girl blog.

Reactions: EZ8lt and Ellaraia

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
There isn't any incest. There will be a mod at some point, but no promises. I'm trying not to upset patreon. You can change names though.
I did try to rename landlady to mom and it almost worked, but some dialogs ruin the impression, e.g. discussion about rent. Good thinking, putting that in. I don't even want to imagine how it would be if you didn't, some irresponsible individual could misuse the game like this! ;)

One suggestion, room switching sucks. Ok, it was a statement, but it's true. The extra click required to show rooms is annoying. I made a small change in code to keep it visible all the time and not exclude current room (to keep static positions), and it's so much better. It would be great, if it was officially supported, at least as option.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I have read. I think that everyone (even allergic to reading ;)) should read this.
This allows you to understand the mechanism of the game and helps you understand what the goal is how to play.

However, I think some walktrough will be needed.
Not necessarily to go through the game step by step with him.
Judging by the author's description, there will be many possibilities and different interactions between the characters so probably it would not even be possible. However, it would give us some sense that we are heading in the game in the direction we have chosen.
There are about 5000 words between the 10 diaries and basically no-one will read them but I felt the need to write them because I don't think some of the mechanics are really given time to glow in such an early release, specifically the suspicion stuff which isn't going to be really cool for a while yet. I've tried to fix the stupid repetition of past games with my storyline quest system and you may not get to fully see that if you don't pay close attention, which most don't.

If you need a walkthrough then I've messed up. If you are aiming for a certain evolution (not that they'll be implemented for quite a while) and you don't get it then either you weren't playing as if you wanted that evolution or I messed up the calculations. If in a year somebody can start the game from scratch and play through the storylines until evolution and then get the one they want, I'll be happy.

And if you're wondering what each of the birthday items do, not much, except the romance novel which gives you an extra masturbation scene. All three items will be available later in the game but not yet, so you can't really make a mistake.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
This has a Big Brother flavor to it in that the older girl has or wants a blog to make money, doing dishes for the younger girl and being spanked if you can't pay your bills.
BB you buy books for the older sister and in this one you buy books for the "landlady" (mom).
Spying on all the women just like in BB, getting the older one in trouble when she comes home from a party and in BB it is done with Cigs.
In BB you have to buy a camera for the photo shot of the aunt and mom and in here you need it for the older girl blog.
I've played through CuteS so many times in the past week and the similarities annoy me. BB was the first big adult game I played and the influences are obviously there. Some of the things were intentionally taken because I like the ideas and didn't like how BB didn't go anywhere with them (partying being the main one).

The photoshoots are something I've wanted to do for a while and MC was going to be a photographer from the beginning but I changed that.

The things that really annoy me are the helping with homework and the way the characters spend their days doing similar things to the BB characters. But what do 20 year old girls do other than lay about on their phones, watch TV and read if they like books? Not much that I know of. If I have some better ideas for the general laying about the house then I'll add them. The dishes interaction is also a reference to BB because one of my favourite images was when Lisa was doing the dishes.

Reactions: woody554

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I did try to rename landlady to mom and it almost worked, but some dialogs ruin the impression, e.g. discussion about rent. Good thinking, putting that in. I don't even want to imagine how it would be if you didn't, some irresponsible individual could misuse the game like this! ;)

One suggestion, room switching sucks. Ok, it was a statement, but it's true. The extra click required to show rooms is annoying. I made a small change in code to keep it visible all the time and not exclude current room (to keep static positions), and it's so much better. It would be great, if it was officially supported, at least as option.
The reason I didn't make it possible was because you can't use hover like I could with the other parts of the UI. It would be easy to add in the functionality but where would you enable it? Nobody looks in the settings cog.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Ellaraia You know you could just allow the player to set the relations. is what quite a few people do these days. others have a incest on condition in their code that changes dialogue sets, which can either be enabled via patch, special code, or what the player sets the relationships too. e.g. if player sets to Mom, Mother, mom, mother, mum or Mum, they would use an if statement that would set a incest variable, most like inc, to true, and it would then chose the cest version of dialogue, this is quite the complicated choice but allows for better dialogue.

The most simple way, is to write the dialogue in a way were the character call eachother by a generic term, e.g. Hey friend. but what the code would read would be something like "Hey String_variable_here."where you would have a relationship variable and a nickname variable the player can set on top of their name. Say their name is Susan, and they are the sister, the player can set nickname suzie, or sis. and if the dialogue is written in a way you talk to people using their nicknames either would work fine, line like "I can't beleive I am having sex with my sis." wouldn't work so well without the taboo relation tho, "I can't believe I am having sex with my suzie." doesn't make as much sense.

So to put that more simply, say the default is landlady, and their name all the time dialogue would look something like this: This is my landlady Angela, "Hey Angela." where if they set relationship to Mother, and nickname to Mom, it would then become: This is my Mother Angela, "Hey Mom."

If you wrote the dialogue this way using variables in place of relationships and nicknames like you do with names, you would be able to avoid the need for a patch all together and still have the incest content while also appeasing the patreon overlords, because it isn't you who puts incest into the game.
I had something like you suggest previously and that's why there are no dl links to ShF on my patreon. Most lines of dialogue were behind if statements for your relationship. I don't want any incest in the official version, even if it's hidden. I think it's just better and safer to create a patch, especially as Patreon may get even stricter for all we know. That said, it does make updating slightly more painful. Having a compressed version already does that though.

L0thar

Jul 24, 2017
There are about 5000 words between the 10 diaries and basically no-one will read them but I felt the need to write them because I don't think some of the mechanics are really given time to glow in such an early release, specifically the suspicion stuff which isn't going to be really cool for a while yet. I've tried to fix the stupid repetition of past games with my storyline quest system and you may not get to fully see that if you don't pay close attention, which most don't.

If you need a walkthrough then I've messed up. If you are aiming for a certain evolution (not that they'll be implemented for quite a while) and you don't get it then either you weren't playing as if you wanted that evolution or I messed up the calculations. If in a year somebody can start the game from scratch and play through the storylines until evolution and then get the one they want, I'll be happy.

And if you're wondering what each of the birthday items do, not much, except the romance novel which gives you an extra masturbation scene. All three items will be available later in the game but not yet, so you can't really make a mistake.
No, you don't messed up.
Maybe I look a little ahead and anticipate questions about walktrough, which will probably arise.
Rather, I was thinking of some tips that would make me sure I was going in the right direction. For example, I want more love from Cute and I can look into something like statistics. And I see if I gain or lose.

I wish you success in developing this game (y)

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Ellaraia

I am not able to scroll down enough to see it but can figure out what was said. View attachment 610001
So the way it works is each field has to be the same size which is set at the beginning. Your long names, thanks to the brackets, are pushing the text below its field. I made the size large enough so they all fit but didn't take into account people using long names. It's kind of annoying that they can't auto size to the text. I'll make it a little bigger.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
No, you don't messed up.
Maybe I look a little ahead and anticipate questions about walktrough, which will probably arise.
Rather, I was thinking of some tips that would make me sure I was going in the right direction. For example, I want more love from Cute and I can look into something like statistics. And I see if I gain or lose.

I wish you success in developing this game (y)
People will certainly complain and ask for a walkthrough but people ask for saves and walkthroughs before even playing. I've listened to these complaints before and it ruined my first game. Hopefully my storylines are designed well enough to not be annoying.

Edit: I didn't even answer half of your comment. You shouldn't need stats, just go through her storyline and she'll like you. Even if you look up her skirt all the time, you will be forgiven. She'll even like it eventually.

L0thar

Jul 24, 2017
People will certainly complain and ask for a walkthrough but people ask for saves and walkthroughs before even playing. I've listened to these complaints before and it ruined my first game. Hopefully my storylines are designed well enough to not be annoying.

Edit: I didn't even answer half of your comment. You shouldn't need stats, just go through her storyline and she'll like you. Even if you look up her skirt all the time, you will be forgiven. She'll even like it eventually.
Exactly.
Maybe they don't want to play, instead they want to look at the pictures from game.
So maybe they should watch comics instead? ;)
You wrote no grinding so I thought that whatever I did I would not get stuck. At most, the end result will be different from the intended one. However, I like to know if I am sailing to the correct port :cool:
I think we need some time and then it turns out that it will be a great game.

L0thar

Jul 24, 2017
Ah those damned evil landladies always cock blocking. That said girls look really cute, if not a little too similar...have to stare intensely at their eyes and noses to tell which is which. One has greener eyes I think unless I'm hallucinating.
This is the destiny of these "damned evil landladies".
But without them, games would be boring.

Reactions: woody554

L0thar

Jul 24, 2017
I like this idea very much:

"Clothing is another option. Right now, each girl has one outfit of each type which they wear when appropriate. I want eventually for the game to have multiple outfits in each slot which are either rotated through or chosen by the player. Each outfit would have its own image set with different poses tailored to make them as sexy as possible for that particular outfit. "

I think it is not easy and requires a lot of work but the effect will be fantastic.
Personally, I don't like that almost all women and girls in games have only one set of clothes.
Only women in a coma are always dressed the same

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Respected User
Donor
Aug 8, 2017
Ellaraia

It says storyline complete but I still have 0 of 2 watching the girls get spanked. CuteS 2020-04-05 10-57-18-70.jpg
I did watch both get spanked but that was early in the game.

Have no idea what this means? CuteS 2020-04-05 11-06-56-13.jpg

Last edited:
3.10 star(s) 21 Votes