Ren'Py Abandoned Dark Woods Society [v0.1.0] [Ape Studios]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

ApeStudios

Matt -- Lord of wrong deadliness and info dumps
Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Hello, i met the problem in the first 10 mins of game. I'm using Mac and i start the game with ren'py launcher as a project.

After I got the knife and left the bar I was given the choice of left or right. Regardless of the choice, the game starts to display a gray screen and an error.

Rich (BB code):
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'choicebox.png '>:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
IOError: Couldn't find file 'choicebox.png '.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "myscreens.rpyc", line 666, in script call
  File "mainmcroom.rpyc", line 2708, in script call
  File "myscreens.rpyc", line 281, in script call
  File "mainmcroom.rpyc", line 83, in script call
  File "mainmcroom.rpyc", line 2898, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 497, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 595, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 814, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 819, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 1245, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 1245, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 854, in script call
  File "primeiracena.rpyc", line 1437, in script call
  File "walkingonthestreet.rpyc", line 241, in script call
  File "walkingonthestreet.rpyc", line 314, in script
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/ast.py", line 1937, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/statements.py", line 277, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 2905, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 3194, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/core.py", line 2094, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 490, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen/renpy.display.render.c:6805)
    rv = render(root, width, height, st, st)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:3520)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 722, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:4075)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:3520)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 722, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:4075)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/screen.py", line 675, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 883, in render
    surf = render(d, rw, height - y, cst, cat)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/layout.py", line 925, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 583, in render
    return cache.get(self, render=True)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 266, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/display/im.py", line 628, in load
    surf = renpy.display.pgrender.load_image(renpy.loader.load(self.filename), self.filename)
  File "/Applications/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy/loader.py", line 576, in load
    raise IOError("Couldn't find file '%s'." % name)
IOError: Couldn't find file 'choicebox.png '.

Darwin-19.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Darkwoods Society 0.01
Thu Jan 21 05:52:41 2021

Yeah I messed up with MAC version apparently. Can you wait until next week? Those bugs were solved and we are now very close to finishing this version...

Reactions: Wlord

Wlord

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah I messed up with MAC version apparently. Can you wait until next week? Those bugs were solved and we are now very close to finishing this version...
Of corse i wil! I just checked the thread for some trouble like mine and then i recognise it is not posted about it.

Thank you very much for good speed of reaction.

Reactions: ApeStudios

Zibodar

Dec 21, 2017
Hello is this still going to get a update is 1 of your devs who got covid alive and well?

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
Just played this game.
Dang, the atmosphere here is ludicrous! The interface, music, scenarios, font, story... bravo!
I liked that the girls start doing fun stuff after some missions instead of waiting for hours before the action starts. And each one has its own personality!

The only thing I didn't like that much was MC's face. It feels like he was the first character made for the game and not reworked after the others were done. Lilith is the prettiest character.
The scene animations are a bit... strange, so to speak. Quite different from what I'm used to be. It works, in a way.
I also feel the lack of explanation on how to rob the specific targets to rob. As you can try to pickpocket only once per day, messing it up makes the player spend a whole day to try it again. Some general tips would help (especially because you have 5 seconds to decide which method to use). Does it matter if I chose left or right? If that decision barely matters to the game, might as well remove it.
Why Reiko is the only one that doesn't allow the MC to repeat a scene? She told him he could fuck her any day, but you simply cannot do it again after the first time.

I've found some problems with the game
When you fuck up a pickpocket, Lilith loses 2 Love Points with you, but the text says +1 Love Points
In the character bio screen: the text formatting is off and the scroll bar covers some words.
1613515252566.png
Another bug: after I get enough Love Points with Lilith (when she says she missed you), she became TWO
1613521309162.png

Speaking of Lilith, I'm a bit lost on how to unlock the scene with her. I already managed to go to the Immortals territory, but all I got was a bit of breastsucking. Her scenes on the computer are empty, meaning I have yet to unlock the big one. Will that happen only after I steal the 5k total?
Because Reiko had her scene at more or less 25 Love and 0 Lust, while Anne had hers at 20-ish Love and 10 Lust, IIRC. I'm already at 80+ Love with Lilith, 10 Lust, and 10 Charisma, but nothing unlocks a new interaction with her or changes the 'Lilith' topic (which reduces the Love Points)

There should be a counter for number of stolen cars (Anne's quest) and money stolen (Lilith's quest)

Last edited:

Ark9

Feb 8, 2018
Sad news, seems that this will be another project with a lot of potential that is gonna be abandoned, the patreon page has been closed for some days now, hopefully one of the devs or anyone involved directly can confirm the status (if it is abandoned/ on hold/ or whatever the status is).

On a personal note i hope that nothing serious happened to the devs or anything like that; is sad that most likely this will be another abandoned game, i really liked the art, story and characters.

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
This project was abandoned alright. Lots of stuff happened, bad stuff actually. One of my coworkers(and childhood friend) was a victim of covid, I believe I mentioned this, when we thought it was just something easy to handle it was too late. One day here, the other wasn't here anymore. I felt I shouldn't keep up with this. For those out there that "don't believe in this disease" it's pretty serious stuff.
So after that, I couldn't even stand looking at this game nor the artist, who doesn't want to do this again, we were in 3, writer, artist, and designer. Now, I don't know how many time it was since the last update and this doesn't matter, since the 2D project will never be done again. However, a bit of good news if you are interested in it. As the writer and the main creator of this idea, I decided to do this project in 3D, it will be different from the first one, but the core history practically the same.
Like I put almost 8-9 months of thought in the whole history and all learned how to code how to manage stuff and yadayada. And after talking with lots of people about it, I decided that this is the best way of keeping my friend alive with me, at least trying to do this project once again, the one thing we always said we would do, work on something together. You can do whatever you want with this piece of info, if you gonna believe if you gonna assume that I may be lying, it's up to you, doesn't change the facts and I sincerely don't care.
In 1 or 2 months I'll be releasing a 3D version and I'd like you to try it out if you want. My thanks to those who worried about the project and everyone who played the original game.

See you soon.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DaveAxel14

Jan 1, 2021
oh hi i'm glad your back
1-sorry for your loss
2-i'm happy we're still getting darkwood society(i mean IF its darkwood society)
3-this is personal thing but i dont like reiko's new look i know it's 3D and all but she looks too young in preview(i mean IF its reiko)

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020
This project was abandoned alright. Lots of stuff happened, bad stuff actually. One of my coworkers(and childhood friend) was a victim of covid, I believe I mentioned this, when we thought it was just something easy to handle it was too late. One day here, the other wasn't here anymore. I felt I shouldn't keep up with this. For those out there that "don't believe in this disease" it's pretty serious stuff.
So after that, I couldn't even stand looking at this game nor the artist, who doesn't want to do this again, we were in 3, writer, artist, and designer. Now, I don't know how many time it was since the last update and this doesn't matter, since the 2D project will never be done again. However, a bit of good news if you are interested in it. As the writer and the main creator of this idea, I decided to do this project in 3D, it will be different from the first one, but the core history practically the same.
Like I put almost 8-9 months of thought in the whole history and all learned how to code how to manage stuff and yadayada. And after talking with lots of people about it, I decided that this is the best way of keeping my friend alive with me, at least trying to do this project once again, the one thing we always said we would do, work on something together. You can do whatever you want with this piece of info, if you gonna believe if you gonna assume that I may be lying, it's up to you, doesn't change the facts and I sincerely don't care.
In 1 or 2 months I'll be releasing a 3D version and I'd like you to try it out if you want. My thanks to those who worried about the project and everyone who played the original game.

See you soon.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Oh God! I'm so sorry for your loss, covid aren't a hoax or something to be taken lightly with and I hate it when good people suffer because of that. Part of me still feel a little happy that you and your team can move on from such tragic and still develop the project in the form of 3D, but a part of me feel sad that the game lose some of the air and unique feeling from 2D style
I hope and wish you and your team the best, once again sorry for your loss and it was truly a tragic event that me and many people did not want to imagine happen to your team and anyone that got infected by covid

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
oh hi i'm glad your back
1-sorry for your loss
2-i'm happy we're still getting darkwood society(i mean IF its darkwood society)
3-this is personal thing but i dont like reiko's new look i know it's 3D and all but she looks too young in preview(i mean IF its reiko)
Thanks, man! Actually, you are right, I'm trying to match the style with the 2D but finding an Asian girl that looks like an actual adult or a young adult it's being hard, like, or they look too young or they look too old. No racism here, just saying that it's lacking models that fit the character. Since I've didn't done many images with her, I felt that she was kinda off too...

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Oh God! I'm so sorry for your loss, covid aren't a hoax or something to be taken lightly with and I hate it when good people suffer because of that. Part of me still feel a little happy that you and your team can move on from such tragic and still develop the project in the form of 3D, but a part of me feel sad that the game lose some of the air and unique feeling from 2D style
I hope and wish you and your team the best, once again sorry for your loss and it was truly a tragic event that me and many people did not want to imagine happen to your team and anyone that got infected by covid
Thanks for your kind words man. I feel the same that it's losing a part of its identity. However, I rather do this in 3D and keeping the idea alive, like, the artist already is already enrolled in another project with his personal life and I must say it doesn't feel the same, but that's life for you. We live in the worst country in dealing with pandemics, almost everyone lost someone since this thing started.

akaio

Jun 7, 2020
Thanks, man! Actually, you are right, I'm trying to match the style with the 2D but finding an Asian girl that looks like an actual adult or a young adult it's being hard, like, or they look too young or they look too old. No racism here, just saying that it's lacking models that fit the character. Since I've didn't done many images with her, I felt that she was kinda off too...
You can look through the Asians in adult games thread and see if there's something that fits and potentially contact the game's dev on what model they used as a base. As far as more adult looking Asians go, Mei from Sorcerer is young adult more on the adult side. MC's mother from Casual Desires would probably also work, as would Celine from Tales from the Unending Void. There's probably more that I don't remember.

• Red Heart

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
I'm sorry for your loss, DVD.

However, I have to say that I really liked the charming 2D art of this game and I don't see the same in 3D. Gonna drop this one, unfortunately.

I wish you success in this and future endeavors!

• Red Heart

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
I'm sorry for your loss, DVD.

However, I have to say that I really liked the charming 2D art of this game and I don't see the same in 3D. Gonna drop this one, unfortunately.

I wish you success in this and future endeavors!
I know that lots of people will see this like that and it's totally fine, they are not exactly the same projects anyway and now I don't have the help of my friends to put the tone a little bit down, since I tend to be too intense. I don't aim to force anything on anybody, really just wanna tell my story. Thanks for your support!!!

Reactions: aisezhel

DanglyBang

May 10, 2018
Kung Flu fucking us in the ass again, God fucking damnit. I wish you good luck on the 3D project, keep it alive for the friend as you said, in fact might as well insert your friend as a supporting character with personality and quirks and all just out of salute to them or an inspired supporting character. Good luck with you and Slaanesh bless. And it was really great thicc squishy 2D art too fug.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote