Ren'Py Abandoned Dark Woods Society [v0.1.0] [Ape Studios]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

ApeStudios

Matt -- Lord of wrong deadliness and info dumps
Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
There's a bug in the stealing minigame. It appears in walkingonthestreets.rpy in the text_timer screen, where the image for the ground is set to "choicebox.png " instead of "choicebox.png" (notice the space before the closing quote).

EDIT: Ran into the same issue just minutes later when leaving my house with "corridorseta.png ", so it seems this isn't a one-off issue.
Thank you for showing me the error. It's a dumb mistake but unfortunately, it happens. I solved that and I was able to build the android version as well.

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
If anyone is willing to play the android version, please find the links below.

Note that the stealing cars mini-game will not work on this version. Also, the bugs that other people pointed aren't solved as well, I just want to take this opportunity and release this version before it's too late and the bug correction stage will only be finished by the next version. I've managed to play this whole version without getting any traceback. However, some of the text inside the mobile or computer in the MC room might be unaligned or weird.

Sorry for the delay with this everyone! We are giving the best of ourselves! Soon we'll announce the release date for the next version. (you can keep track of the advancements on our Patreon!)

Thanks!

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
It looks like 3 different artists. One for the sprite, one for the background/gritty scenery stuff, and one for the full spread CGs for H scenes. The background artist is so fucking amazing that the other art styles kind of seems out of place lol.

The writing could definitely use some more proofreading. A proper editor would be even better. The English is on the better side for a non-native speaker (I assume), but it definitely has it's problems. Grammatical errors and typos aside, there is a certain disconnect in the writing style and tone with the amazingly bleak world you've managed to create. One specific problem was the 4th wall breaks by the MC to tell us about patreon or game features or just him talking to himself out loud. I feel like the narrator should be saying these things.

The world building is definitely the strong point, and the background/cityscape art really brings it to life. I was actually hooked during the intro section going over the history and setting. Great job on that!

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
It looks like 3 different artists. One for the sprite, one for the background/gritty scenery stuff, and one for the full spread CGs for H scenes. The background artist is so fucking amazing that the other art styles kind of seems out of place lol.

The writing could definitely use some more proofreading. A proper editor would be even better. The English is on the better side for a non-native speaker (I assume), but it definitely has it's problems. Grammatical errors and typos aside, there is a certain disconnect in the writing style and tone with the amazingly bleak world you've managed to create. One specific problem was the 4th wall breaks by the MC to tell us about patreon or game features or just him talking to himself out loud. I feel like the narrator should be saying these things.

The world building is definitely the strong point, and the background/cityscape art really brings it to life. I was actually hooked during the intro section going over the history and setting. Great job on that!
Hey, man thanks for the comment! You really seemed to have played our game troughfully! That's awesome really. Regarding the art, you are right there are 2 different people working on it! In some of the backgrounds, we had to use creativity to make everything "fit". See some of these as placeholders for now.

About the dialogues and all the text in general, none of us are native or even advanced in English. However, we already found a person to proofread! Actually, he found us(very nice of him) so this will have a great development from now on. The thing about breaking the 4th wall was a flunked attempt to be funny I guess lol. Humor does changes depending on which part of the world you reside in, I guess we have to take this into consideration.

All in all, thank you for taking the time to review our game! It seemed you really played and in general enjoyed what we're doing so far! This project is going to take months or even years to come to an end, in the meantime, all comments and suggestions are more than welcome, so we can keep improving and placing the quality bar higher each time!

nunyab45

May 17, 2020
This was a good demo, looking forward to see where it goes. Thank you!

Only complaint is that I spent wayyy too much time trying how to finish the Night Goddess quest and unlock the Lilith gallery images before cracking open the APK in DExplore to prove to myself that I'm not crazy, they just aren't actually in the game yet.

It's good manners towards your players to flag any stub quests/ gallery content that isn't actually complete yet as incomplete when releasing a work in progress.

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
This was a good demo, looking forward to see where it goes. Thank you!

Only complaint is that I spent wayyy too much time trying how to finish the Night Goddess quest and unlock the Lilith gallery images before cracking open the APK in DExplore to prove to myself that I'm not crazy, they just aren't actually in the game yet.

It's good manners towards your players to flag any stub quests/ gallery content that isn't actually complete yet as incomplete when releasing a work in progress.
Hey, man thanks for playing the game! Which images you're talking about? I don't know if I understood what you said... Like, there is some bug in the android version? Because after finishing Lillith event all the images should show on the gallery, they didn't appear for you?

Evilfowl

Aug 5, 2017
Hey, man thanks for playing the game! Which images you're talking about? I don't know if I understood what you said... Like, there is some bug in the android version? Because after finishing Lillith event all the images should show on the gallery, they didn't appear for you?
I think he's referring to the fact that the quest text seems to be a bit off.
The way it looks to a native English speaker, it looks like she specifically wants you to pickpocket 5000 money, and not just get 5000 money total. I would recommend changing the quest help text to say

"Lil asked me to bring her 5,000..." credits or whatever your term for money is
Rather than "Lil asked me to rob a amount of 5,000"

I nearly gave up like he did, then realized there was no data in the save for money tracked for her quest, so I guessed it was just money total and it worked.

Reactions: ApeStudios

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
I think he's referring to the fact that the quest text seems to be a bit off.
The way it looks to a native English speaker, it looks like she specifically wants you to pickpocket 5000 money, and not just get 5000 money total. I would recommend changing the quest help text to say

"Lil asked me to bring her 5,000..." credits or whatever your term for money is
Rather than "Lil asked me to rob a amount of 5,000"

I nearly gave up like he did, then realized there was no data in the save for money tracked for her quest, so I guessed it was just money total and it worked.
ooooh I see! I'll change that. 5k in pickpocketing would take forever! It was indeed in total. Sorry for the misunderstood!

nunyab45

May 17, 2020
ooooh I see! I'll change that. 5k in pickpocketing would take forever! It was indeed in total. Sorry for the misunderstood!
No, I finished getting her the 5k and she told me to meet her tomorrow in the immortals territory but then from there her quest just stops progressing and when I went digging in the APK I didn't find any of the 6 images the gallery indicates she should have.

I assumed, sounds like incorrectly, that it was just unfinished content. Android port bug makes sense, thanks for your reply!

Ritsujin

May 30, 2018
Pretty damn good.
Got a request, though.
Think you could add an option to skip the car chase minigame?
Or make a simplified version?
It's heavier than it's supposed to be for some reason, so a non-moving version would be appreciated, as well.
Keep up the good work, devs.

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Pretty damn good.
Got a request, though.
Think you could add an option to skip the car chase minigame?
Or make a simplified version?
It's heavier than it's supposed to be for some reason, so a non-moving version would be appreciated, as well.
Keep up the good work, devs.
Hey, thanks for playing our game! We are glad you liked!

After doing this mini game 1 time you can always skip it. For next version we'll fix this mini game, there are too many frames on it, we didn't knew ren'py couldn't handle that many

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
hey is there any news on further updates, if I need to buy the patreon to access it, then let me know as this was one of the few games that I actually found really interesting
thanks for the comment man! The positive feedbacks are a great sign we are on the right track.

Currently we are working everyday on the next update. We have solved the bugs of the first version and we are almost finishing the first big scene(there will be some cool preview images on patreon, as Lil blowjob scene for instance). I can't say for sure when we we'll release it but we are confident that we can make it before the end of this year.

If you are inclined to pledge any amount, you would win a image with your name on it and you would be able to see some other previews regarding the scenes we are working on. Further this week we'll post more info for patrons about the story development.

ApeStudios

Game Developer
Feb 27, 2020
Don't know if this has already been reported, but after Lil becomes your girlfriend (she starts calling you babe at 40 love points if I recall correctly) when you approach her the first time for the day the image is already there and that causes a second Lil to appear on top of the first one (see image)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah we have a long way to go... Those bugs are solved already. That thing about relationship is kinda out of place. For now the scenes are more oriented by missions. In time, there will be more interactions and things like an actual dating system. Also the clock thing is kinda bugged as well, it's also solved for next update :). Thanks for pointing out and rating our game!

Reactions: Rasputia 69
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote