Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah it seems the 2:1 ratio will stay for the time being. :(

Not to belittle Melody but DMD has so much more drama and potential intrigue.
Melody (yes due to the Patreon Purge) is rather flat, the game not the character she has huge tracks of land. The plot depends on the player identifying with musicians or at least having more than a passing interest in music. While DMD has so many facets that draw you into its world and creates what-if scenarios.
IMO as far as petite BFs go Sophie is hotter than Elena. An Elena+Sophie crossover hook-up would be the tits.
Oh man, I could not disagree with this more. I'm a DMD fan, for sure, but I find Melody to be a much more likeable, relatable character. I like most of the characters in DMD but Melody is just a wonderful person.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Melody the character is more real, in that D was so sheltered she was one step away from a cloistered convent.
Melody led a more normal life and is better socially adjusted.
What I was talking about was the game itself. Melody VN (for me) has little of the drama or intrigue of DMD.
The tutor MC has sex with Melody, and some expected consequences occur from other people with whom the MC was fooling around (crazy ex included).
The father MC and D begin a relationship, D's mother is the ex, whole different level.
Again just my view, not right, not wrong.
I do like Melody, if for nor other reason the graphics are very good, and the VN is well written.

Last edited:

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Once again, I feel that posts/observations about the two games' themes and styles might relate to my oft-posted assertion that:

• Melody = realistic young woman who wants to live a fantasy
  • DMD = fantasy young woman who needs saving, then starts to live a real life (in gusto) which she never knew was possible (as RustyV noted, she was purposefully sheltered)

So, they began on different notes but will eventually end up with two protagonists who coincidentally share more characteristics than they did at the starts of their respective stories. It doesn't mean their game styles and narratives will be the same, because they are also set in different places, with their own unique groupings of characters.

Except for Elena and Sophia ... let's face it, they are sisters from the same spiritual mother :D

Last edited:
Reactions: CandyMan29

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
Melody the character is more real, in that D was so sheltered she was one step away from a cloistered convent.
Melody led a more normal life and is better socially adjusted.
What I was talking about was the game itself. Melody VN (for me) has little of the drama or intrigue of DMD.
The tutor MC has sex with Melody, and some expected consequences occur from other people with whom the MC was fooling around (crazy ex included).
The father MC and D begin a relationship, D's mother is the ex, whole different level.
Again just my view, not right, not wrong.
I do like Melody, if for nor other reason the graphics are very good, and the VN is well written.
For sure, and I think what it comes down to is that I personally prefer a VN with just one or two characters that I can fall in love with. DMD fits that description too but I just can't get as attached to D as I can Melody. I know this is kinda silly and hopefully you can get where I'm coming from here, but I find myself getting genuinely emotionally attached to Melody. I know she's not a real person, I'm not an idiot, it's just so easy to get lost in the fiction of that world.

Reactions: RustyV

Les_Riggs

Oct 19, 2017
Just my two cents here...

The fact that there's a few of you that prefer DMD over Melody, and the other few prefer Melody over DMD,
just shows how great both games are, and how different they are from each other due to the arguments given for both (and not just because of the obvious fetish that doesn't exist in Melody).
It just shows that MrDots and the people working with him are versatile with the games that they want to create.

I mean it would be a lot worse if we all liked one of MrDots' games, but we all agreed that the other one was terrible, wouldn't it?

MrDots and co. have created two games that are so far apart from each other in terms of the story, it already makes me wonder what the next game will be like. ;)

I personally think the writing and the overall character designs are better in Melody, but that makes perfect sense since it's the second game they made and they've had the experience of making DMD leading into creating Melody.

In saying that, there's just something about DMD and the two leads that instantly draw me back into their world with each release.

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Oh man, I could not disagree with this more. I'm a DMD fan, for sure, but I find Melody to be a much more likeable, relatable character. I like most of the characters in DMD but Melody is just a wonderful person.
Maybe Melody will be over this year anyway.So we will see how the things will go after that.

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
MrDots and co. have created two games that are so far apart from each other in terms of the story, it already makes me wonder what the next game will be like. ;)
Really? They are both games about a predatory sexual deviant grooming young girls (that are only not underage because the marketing requires them not to be) over which he has a position of responsibility and authority, in one case being her father!

I am happy to suspend my moral outrage because it is just a game, everyone is entitled to a bit of fantasy, and I do find it quite hot, but I am certainly not going to claim that the MC in either game is likeable. In fact, none of the characters are likeable. In addition to the MCs, D and Melody are completely vacuous, and Elena is coniving. (I admit I quite liked the bookish girl in Melody whose name I have forgotten.) But for me, that's probably a good thing, since I would feel bad about the entire sexually disfunctional clusterfuck they get into if I actually liked them.

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Really? They are both games about a predatory sexual deviant grooming young girls (that are only not underage because the marketing requires them not to be) over which he has a position of responsibility and authority, in one case being her father!

I am happy to suspend my moral outrage because it is just a game, everyone is entitled to a bit of fantasy, and I do find it quite hot, but I am certainly not going to claim that the MC in either game is likeable. In fact, none of the characters are likeable. In addition to the MCs, D and Melody are completely vacuous, and Elena is coniving. (I admit I quite liked the bookish girl in Melody whose name I have forgotten.) But for me, that's probably a good thing, since I would feel bad about the entire sexually disfunctional clusterfuck they get into if I actually liked them.
You realy must be punished for something to be forced to play games with characters you don't like.
Small advice-play card and board games:)

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019

I get what you're saying and you're not wrong, but the good thing about fantasy is you don't have to feel bad about it. I don't think anyone here is playing these games and then fucking their children because of it and I don't think any of us are enjoying DMD because we've got sexual feelings for anyone under our care and supervision. I realize that wasn't what you were suggesting but I'm just saying, we can enjoy the fantasy and also realize these things are extremely unacceptable in the real world.

fbass

May 18, 2017
I get what you're saying and you're not wrong, but the good thing about fantasy is you don't have to feel bad about it. I don't think anyone here is playing these games and then fucking their children because of it and I don't think any of us are enjoying DMD because we've got sexual feelings for anyone under our care and supervision. I realize that wasn't what you were suggesting but I'm just saying, we can enjoy the fantasy and also realize these things are extremely unacceptable in the real world.
Exactly, well said.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
melody is over 18, daughter in dmd is ~16 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeancul and fbass

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017

There's a difference between the fictional world's values and those we place upon them from our worldview. You are describing more of the latter emphasis, I feel. It is worthwhile to view these fantasy creations from both perspectives (at least), but in the end our affinity for any of the characters, support of their actions, etc. should rely more on what it means in the fictional universe being offered than our own, IMHO: while they can lead to revelations and mindful consideration of our personal values in the non-fictional world, in the end it's their fictional universe in which the characters are most clearly defined.

I listen to songs about horrid breakups and worse, imagining the teller of that tale within their own frame of mind and reality. Then, I reflect that upon my own values and wonder if there's something from which to learn and/or find empathy for, even if there are aspects of their world which will never align with mine - what do we have in common (or opposition) which informs or moves me in some manner?

It's about art and/or entertainment, not real-world morality, when it comes to these games.

And, that is today's lesson on why video games don't make kids more violent ... :)

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
Just to clarify, I still play both games, enjoy them and look forward to the updates. And I don't judge anyone else who does likewise (obviously). But I still don't think the MCs are nice guys, and in the back of my head there is a small niggle of guilt that I am vicariously enjoying something I really shouldn't be. I think I am doing a fairly good job of pressing these pesky feelings away into the dark recesses of my mind, but I am aware that they are there. (And to be fair, these feelings are present for many of the games on this site.)

Reactions: Tristrix
3.80 star(s) 320 Votes