3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
That's my point of view, and to say that there are several fantastic, no. Even those of the first hour don't do any better, despite their so-called "complex" stuff.

He's the only one who uses light properly.
Who is LBW? I tried to go to his page and it says Oppps.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
Okay, I'm able to light a subject correctly. HOWEVER, as you can see, there is the issue of using an emmitor rather than a reflector when you look at the shadow under her chin and accross the right side of her face where the hair is casting. With a reflector that shadow would still be there, but it would be feathered rather than so harsh. There is no way around this without a reflector, as that's just how physics works.
I'm 95% positive that mesh lights (like planar emitters) are not directional. It's why people use meshes rather than spot lights with dimensions. I don't think it's the mesh that's creating less feathered shadow for you, but it's more in the placement and the intensity of the lights.

(People use mesh lights ALL the time in Daz to avoid harsh spots. Throwing a sheet over a spot isn't necessarily going to give you the effect that you think if you're already using a mesh. Usually, the lighting packages you buy are 1) Mesh light (planar surface, often with some kind of shape) with 2) HDRI.
You can create a bubble image or something to feather your mesh if you like, like I said. I make maps to do that & vary the quality of a mesh light emitter, but I only use them occasionally.)

It could be that your planar mesh emitter is too close/too small & is creating angles, causing shadow?

Example. Just a quick render, like 15 minutes in the engine. (It would be faster on a fancier computer.)
This image is 3 lights, Scene Only (no HDRI). Nothing else in the scene.
(The Nazi flag is set to 0% glossy, so it's not bouncing much of anything upwards. There's just a diffuse map.)

There's a planar emitter behind and slightly above the camera. I don't move the camera close. I use the Cameras tab to adjust Frame Width and Focal Length so I don't change the light levels by zooming in.

Second light... Distant Light above and to the right of the frame. (That's what's causing all the shadow. You can tell by the direction of the shadow. My mesh light is in line with the camera, from left to right. It's positioned above the frame, but not left or right of the frame. The skew of the shadows is coming from the distant light source, not the fill from the mesh.)

Third light... random back/rim light, even though it's pointless. I just added it for a third random light. LOL.

rosie flag.jpg

Lewd4D

Jun 28, 2019
Again, Thanks for info, But I'm having a bit of an Issue and maybe you can help me out.

It seems when I apply another shell in this case and , Harper's skin changes to this pale yellow color. Any idea why this might be?

Before View attachment 691088

After View attachment 691089

Renders Stopped after 10 Iterations.

Could be that both shells are "colliding" with each other. Go into the parameter tab of the GP shell and turn of the visibility of the chest parts. There are probably multiple parts for nipples, breast left etc. or just deavtivate everything except the genital parts. (I use NGFV)
Desktop Screenshot 2020.06.13 - 09.06.28.05.png

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
Lighting a portrait or a small size picture with a couple of models seems easy but how do you light a house and outdoor environment where placing Spotlights or mesh lights doesn't seem a good idea cause of the unnecessary shadows I will get. I will appreciate all the tips and ideas I can get.
Test render.
Created with plain white hdri and a single distant light.
A couple ideas...

Ensure that the mesh light is sufficiently distant/angled so that it does not interfere with the distant light (i.e. cause shadows). Just set the mesh light back relative to your subjects, and keep the distant light at an angle where it's not fucking with the mesh. I use the Viewport to help with that (switching it to the Distant Light to see what the Distant Light touches).

Angle the shot so that the mesh isn't in the frame. The more overhead you shoot it, the more of the ground you'll get in the frame. That means a higher likelihood of getting the mesh light shadow in the frame. See, your shot is more pointed at the ground rather than up from the ground. (I mean, don't you like upskirt shots? You need to get below the hemline of the skirts! Ha!) If you shot it more from the ground, angled upward, you'd avoid some of the issues of the mesh casting shadow.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Again, Thanks for info, But I'm having a bit of an Issue and maybe you can help me out.

It seems when I apply another shell in this case and , Harper's skin changes to this pale yellow color. Any idea why this might be?

Could be that both shells are "colliding" with each other. Go into the parameter tab of the GP shell and turn of the visibility of the chest parts. There are probably multiple parts for nipples, breast left etc. or just deavtivate everything except the genital parts. (I use NGFV)
View attachment 691180
Yeah the shells are indeed colliding. This happens all the time if you use multiple Geo shells, not just breastacular and golden palace. Didn't know about this trick, nice to know. but you can also run shell fix in the golden palace tab on all geo shells on the character. That is usually enough.
1592035101152.png

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
Yeah the shells are indeed colliding. This happens all the time if you use multiple Geo shells, not just breastacular and golden palace. Didn't know about this trick, nice to know. but you can also run shell fix in the golden palace tab on all geo shells on the character. That is usually enough.
View attachment 691207
I already did. Im not new to Geo-shells. I literally use them all the time
Twins_Preg.jpg

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
Ha, yes :) Gotta love messing with the Nazis a bit.

Once more with the prior setup, this time with only 2 lights. The Mesh and the (pointless) light from behind. (That rear spotlight kills any auto-headlamp as well, in case I have it set to the default (When no light exists in the scene))
There's no Distant light on this one.
No other lights in the scene, and it's set to Scene Only (no HDRI).

You can see exactly what my mesh light is doing here.

I have it angled so it's still creating a little shadow. It's a broad plane, so it's providing good fill. It's not close to my subject so the coverage is more even.

rosie flag (mesh only).jpg

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019

Once more with the prior setup, this time with only 2 lights. The Mesh and the (pointless) light from behind. (That rear spotlight kills any auto-headlamp as well, in case I have it set to the default (When no light exists in the scene))

I have it angled so it's still creating a little shadow. It's a broad plane, so it's providing good fill. It's not close to my subject so the coverage is more even.

View attachment 691223

Reactions: fenelia

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018

View attachment 691223
Sieg Heil !!!

(I'm not a Nazi keep cool, just gr-gr-gr-gr-grandson of the SS. My last name is in this sentence too:x. Ja Ja.)

Last edited:
Reactions: fenelia

Ashenthorn

Dec 18, 2019
I use Second Circle Studio lights as a starting point... I find they give excellent results with LOTS of options (includes environment, 13 lights, and headlamp blocker).

Can also be combined with certain "studio" HDRI domes for nice results with additional tweaking.

F22232425

Dec 2, 2017
Trial_Render.png
My trial render, using the unmodified render setting and environement of the asset "The Park Way".
I am still on my way learning rendering in order to create my own game.
Currently, the character is still unfinished bcs sometimes she looks weired in some angle and render setting and lights.
However, I just want to show her off a bit here.

Mescalino

Aug 20, 2017

Either what people have set, the skin doens match up.
Or what i had to do to get bot working is go to the parameter tab of golden palace geo and turn everything around breasts off and vice versa, go to breastacular and turn the vaginal region off.
It could be a clash of 2 geoshells

Edit just saw Lewd4D reaction
That is what i mean here.

Reactions: ArturiousDesign
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes