3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Yea, the post-denoiser turns off with me for some reason whenever i start up Daz, and i often forget to turn it back on.
A minor inconvenience.

But on a different note, how do you keep the iterations low? is that the min/max samples option?
I've heard people talk about how a 4K render with low iterations for a few minutes look better than a 1280 one fully rendered.
How do you set that up properly?
Titles of the each image explains its specs like IT number, time and denoise. Ones with _nvidia means they are denoised.

Images were over 20 mb each so I had to upload somewhere else. Hope this helps mate.

Reactions: Baka_Energy_studios

zOh

May 4, 2020
A little bit of AI Denoiser aaaand there. Its all smooth now :D You can check https://f95zone.to/threads/nvidia-ai-denoiser-2-4.35677/ for the denoiser. Its wonderful. I am currently running it on my 4K low iteration images. They look a lot better than 1080p images that run for hours.
Am I the only one who's not a fan of using Denoisers?

I think the detail loss from denoisers is too severe. Everything looks too flat. I'll mess with the scene lights and tone mapping, run at a higher res, run for hours and hours till 99% convergence, whatever it takes to avoid using a denoiser. I only use the denoiser when absolutely nothing else is working well enough to remove the noise.

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019

I think the detail loss from denoisers is too severe. Everything looks too flat. I'll mess with the scene lights and tone mapping, run at a higher res, run for hours and hours till 99% convergence, whatever it takes to avoid using a denoiser. I only use the denoiser when absolutely nothing else is working well enough to remove the noise.
You can check my post thats right above yours for comparison shots. There are 4 renders, 500IT limited, 30min limited and their denoised versions. I find denoisers convenient since I do not have the luxury of letting and image bake for hours. I am trying to compile hundreds of images for the game I am working on with a friend of mine. Since each update roughly takes around 300 images, time is a bit of an issue. If I am to render for artistic reasons I'll always go for the high convergence tho. Currently 30min per image is somewhat doable for me.

zOh

May 4, 2020
You can check my post thats right above yours for comparison shots. There are 4 renders, 500IT limited, 30min limited and their denoised versions. I find denoisers convenient since I do not have the luxury of letting and image bake for hours. I am trying to compile hundreds of images for the game I am working on with a friend of mine. Since each update roughly takes around 300 images, time is a bit of an issue. If I am to render for artistic reasons I'll always go for the high convergence tho. Currently 30min per image is somewhat doable for me.
That makes sense! The denoiser definitely saves a massive amount of time.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
You will lose detal from denoisers, but what's the detail you are preserving? The skin? Maybe you lose a mole or two, but that is about it if you've set up lighting well. If you're really that adamant about every last mole and pimple, then render that figure separately and composite back in afterwards.
(I don't always denoise. Sometimes I just oversample and downscale. Sometimes I'll do both oversampling and denoising. To me, it's about the image, not "realism" or some other holy grail. I want a hot image in the end.)

Yeah, so you can't render extremely dark scenes and preserve full detail and use a denoiser at the same time without taking a long time to render... that's a choice to do things that way. If people hate post-work because it's "abuse" or "cheating", that's fine. The most liked images in places like DA or the Daz gallery almost all have considerable post-work, but don't let that stop anyone from being a purist.

Maybe I am "fake" because I do some post-work. You know what looks fake to me? A render that looks like a render.

zOh

May 4, 2020
You will lose detal from denoisers, but what's the detail you are preserving? The skin? Maybe you lose a mole or two, but that is about it if you've set up lighting well. If you're really that adamant about every last mole and pimple, then render that figure separately and composite back in afterwards.
(I don't always denoise. Sometimes I just oversample and downscale. Sometimes I'll do both oversampling and denoising. To me, it's about the image, not "realism" or some other holy grail. I want a hot image in the end.)

Yeah, so you can't render extremely dark scenes and preserve full detail and use a denoiser at the same time without taking a long time to render... that's a choice to do things that way. If people hate post-work because it's "abuse" or "cheating", that's fine. The most liked images in places like DA or the Daz gallery almost all have considerable post-work, but don't let that stop anyone from being a purist.

Maybe I am "fake" because I do some post-work. You know what looks fake to me? A render that looks like a render.
I think there's some misunderstanding. I don't want to insinuate that using denoisers is cheating or fake in any way! I use it too! Post is a very important part of the process, be it denoise, photoshop, or anything else.

Yes the denoise removes some details that you want to preserve. Not so much the moles, but the detail preserved is the textured look from the bump-map) It makes sense to save time though. I was just wondering if anybody else thought the detail loss from the denoiser was too much, like the price to pay is too high. If there was a setting on the denoiser to turn down its intensity I would love that.

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019

This man speaks the truth! :D Jokes aside I completely agree with you. It all depends tho. If you are making something for the sake of art or creating an asset for a game. In the game asset side of the things only thing I consider as a concrete point is the artstyle, image should be easy to reproduce. If I am to create images to form a scene set, a series of images if you will, I should not spend too much time to recreate the postwork effect so that I can achieve some sort of continuity.

Phanex

under a black flag we shall sail
Mar 16, 2020

If I see grainy in my renders I don't actually use Denoisers I think Photoshop is best in my opinion,
But Denoisers can be useful for large scenes.

Reactions: zOh
D

Deleted member 1490674

WIP test render. It's taking longer to finish the bathroom than what I expected.

Noise: View attachment 700202

Denoised: View attachment 700203

Post Worked: View attachment 700206

Give this denoiser a try:
95% of the time it works charmingly. 5% of the time the renders are way too low on iterations(100-200) and becomes overly washed. Very rare. Other times its godsend.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Its not complicated to use right?

Jul 14, 2018
Does anyone know of a script to make genesis 8 characters look into the camera? I hate to do it manually.
Look At Me and Look At Me II

Look At Me does eyes, head, and neck.

Look at Me II does that as well as torso.

Let's you do things like Look At Camera, Look At Each Other, Look At Another Person, Look At That Thing. Useful.

But like photography, sometimes you don't want them to actually look at each other, you just want it to look like they're looking at each other while still showing their face, so you tweak it a little after the fact, but... yeah, speeds things up.

zOh

May 4, 2020
Select the character's eyeball and under constraints in the Parameters tab, click Point At and then select your camera. I get mixed results with it so I just pose it manually.
Everytime I do this it... just doesn't seem to be looking at the right place. I don't know what's wrong with it but it's always *off*.

2C3D

Aug 18, 2017
Everytime I do this it... just doesn't seem to be looking at the right place. I don't know what's wrong with it but it's always *off*.
Same here. Like they're looking at someone or something right next to the camera but not at the lens. That's why I do it manually.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes