3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Its off . this current image is 500 samples. i went up to 700 still the same . i don't have a good graphics card so rendering with cpu . should i increase the max samples ? if yes then by how much ?
If you put it in ON, Daz will automatically calculate how many samples may be needed (normally the result is good). Leave "rendering converged ratio" parameter at 95% as it comes by default, increasing that parameter can greatly increase the rendering time.

Make a test, if you get the same bad result with eyes it may be a problem with eyes surfaces, you can try using another.

To make a quick test I advise you to zoom with the camera only in the eyes and even render with less resolution, only for test.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Hi. Been out of the loop regarding DAZ news and products for the past few weeks since my old GPU died. Is Misumi still the best looking Genesis 8 Female recently released?

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Absolutely not a part of a game or anything. Just wanted to do something slashery and horroresque. Used the denoiser and then sharpened a bit in post. Didn't mess with the skins too much, his looks a little waxy but oh well, still like the way it turned out.

View attachment 128914
As someone interested in fantasy based renders i'd love to know what you used for the blood spray, sword swings with blood spray, yes please.

Reactions: MovieMike

zack3353

Mar 6, 2017
If you put it in ON, Daz will automatically calculate how many samples may be needed (normally the result is good). Leave "rendering converged ratio" parameter at 95% as it comes by default, increasing that parameter can greatly increase the rendering time.

Make a test, if you get the same bad result with eyes it may be a problem with eyes surfaces, you can try using another.

To make a quick test I advise you to zoom with the camera only in the eyes and even render with less resolution, only for test.
Thanks .. I will give it try but 5000 its too much . it takes 1 hr for 500 samples . anyways thanks ..

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
View attachment 133088

My first postwork with anything. Be gentle, its my first time XD. Thanks to @Lucius Logan for the trade.
Yeah I know that most guys like outfits with high cut thighs, but I actually liked the gal to the left better with boyshorts (and cameltoe, you could add cameltoe to the high cut outfit of course). But to each their own of course!

And I already liked your post, but yeah looks pretty cool. Slap in a suitable backdrop, and you have a comic panel!

So are you doing this just for fun, or are you thinking about doing a sexy comic or something?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks .. I will give it try but 5000 its too much . it takes 1 hr for 500 samples . anyways thanks ..
Back when I was on a 'lower grade' laptop without Nvidia graphics, I dropped my image sizes by quite a bit (say 1280 x 720). This can speed up render times, but of course you are sacrificing a bit of quality if you were to say upsize them to 1080P afterwords.

Now that I have better hardware, I'm using the 'render at double dimensions (3840 x 2160), then reducing the size in Photoshop to 1920 x 1080 when I'm done tip (several people in Daz land like doing this). This helps offset a bit of the graininess in Iray renders. But of course it comes at the price of much longer render times. I mention this because if you are doing a 'simple' render without a lot of background or whatever, that can render in a few minutes, well the 'double the dimensions, then halve them in post trick might be useful to you occasionally...

Note that I now have dual GTX 1080s for rendering, so 3840 x 2160 isn't as painful as it would have been on the older laptop. Complex renders can still take 2 hours or more though, and even then those are not hitting 100% convergance.

Another thing you can do is, if you have two computers or if the CPU isn't getting bogged down, is to run two instances of Daz, working with the second instance on some other thing (maybe setting up a followup render with a different pose) while the first one is baking. That way, you aren't sitting there just twiddling your thumbs waiting for grass to grow...

If you are doing renders for a game, and are hardware constrained, I highly recommend using the 'render characters without background, then superimpose them on a static background in RenPy, etc.' trick. Several games/interactive novels do this. Sure, the lighting won't be 100% accurate, but rendering characters by themselves without rooms, furniture, etc. in the background that increase scene overhead can help cut down on those render times.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
If you leave the parameter in ON, Daz does not consider the "max sample" that you have placed above, it will calculate it automatically, they can be 1000, 3000, 5000 or more, but in most cases you will avoid having spots in the image.

As I told you, try it only in the eye area, to see if it's a surface problem; you can even try it at a resolution lower than 720p to go faster.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
As someone interested in fantasy based renders i'd love to know what you used for the blood spray, sword swings with blood spray, yes please.
I'll update this comment when I get home tonight. Blood is easy because it's basically any water prop with a blood shader attached. But I'll explain what I did tonight when I get off work.

Update:

I used the Rigged Water Iray prop pack for the blood. Found some sprays and splashes I liked, resized and positioned as needed and used the blood shader in it. I think it's the SY Rigged Water Iray pack. There's a second one too, might be in the assets releases page. Basically positioned them on the knife and found a big splash, flipped it upsidedown and used it for the spray from the victim.

Not too much more to it than that.

Reactions: Volta
D

Dr PinkCake

Back when I was on a 'lower grade' laptop without Nvidia graphics, I dropped my image sizes by quite a bit (say 1280 x 720). This can speed up render times, but of course you are sacrificing a bit of quality if you were to say upsize them to 1080P afterwords.

Now that I have better hardware, I'm using the 'render at double dimensions (3840 x 2160), then reducing the size in Photoshop to 1920 x 1080 when I'm done tip (several people in Daz land like doing this). This helps offset a bit of the graininess in Iray renders. But of course it comes at the price of much longer render times. I mention this because if you are doing a 'simple' render without a lot of background or whatever, that can render in a few minutes, well the 'double the dimensions, then halve them in post trick might be useful to you occasionally...

Note that I now have dual GTX 1080s for rendering, so 3840 x 2160 isn't as painful as it would have been on the older laptop. Complex renders can still take 2 hours or more though, and even then those are not hitting 100% convergance.

Another thing you can do is, if you have two computers or if the CPU isn't getting bogged down, is to run two instances of Daz, working with the second instance on some other thing (maybe setting up a followup render with a different pose) while the first one is baking. That way, you aren't sitting there just twiddling your thumbs waiting for grass to grow...

If you are doing renders for a game, and are hardware constrained, I highly recommend using the 'render characters without background, then superimpose them on a static background in RenPy, etc.' trick. Several games/interactive novels do this. Sure, the lighting won't be 100% accurate, but rendering characters by themselves without rooms, furniture, etc. in the background that increase scene overhead can help cut down on those render times.
If I may ask, why do you downsample if you still are rendering to 100% convergence? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
I downsample from 4k to 1080p all the time, but never use convergence as a measure for quality. Also, afaik, DAZ doesn't support SLI, so how does SLI allow you to render stuff faster? I thought it only increased the available vRAM.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
If I may ask, why do you downsample if you still are rendering to 100% convergence? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
I downsample from 4k to 1080p all the time, but never use convergence as a measure for quality. Also, afaik, DAZ doesn't support SLI, so how does SLI allow you to render stuff faster? I thought it only increased the available vRAM.
Iray renders, even at 100% convergence, can still have a bit of graininess to them (for those that are attuned to seeing such things), so rendering at 2x dimensions then reducing to 1x dimensions can help 'average out' the graininess, and also cleans up the edges a bit in the process.

Also, it's not recommended to render to 100% convergance. 95% (default) is fine, and from what I've read, anything over 98% isn't helping much (extra GPU cycles for virtually no gain).

Also, Daz certainly does support multi-GPU rendering (It's recommended that you turn off SLI). Note the multi GPU results in this post in the Iray starter scene benchmarks thread.

In the post above, we have some craziness going on where a guy has 3 1080 Ti's AND a Titan Xp being used together. 32 seconds for this benchmark is FAST! FYI, my dual 1080's complete this benchmark at somewhere around 70 to 90 seconds (don't remember exactly now)...

Having two of the same Nvidia card roughly halves your Iray rendering times, three cards drops it to roughly a third, etc...

BUT, GPU memory does NOT stack for Daz Iray. Each card needs to hold the entire scene in it's own memory, so the card with the least memory sets the maximum scene size. Of course, you could always just uncheck the card with the smaller memory if you were mixing and matching cards, if the scene wasn't fitting into the smaller card, which of course takes that card out of the equation.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Also, afaik, DAZ doesn't support SLI, so how does SLI allow you to render stuff faster? I thought it only increased the available vRAM.
Having more than one graphic card does not increase the vRAM, daz will use the amount of vram of the card that has less.

If you have 1080Ti with 11GB and 1060 with 6GB, daz only uses 6GB of each card but the cuda cores of both.

Reactions: OhWee
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes