3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

zack3353

Mar 6, 2017
Back when I was on a 'lower grade' laptop without Nvidia graphics, I dropped my image sizes by quite a bit (say 1280 x 720). This can speed up render times, but of course you are sacrificing a bit of quality if you were to say upsize them to 1080P afterwords.

Now that I have better hardware, I'm using the 'render at double dimensions (3840 x 2160), then reducing the size in Photoshop to 1920 x 1080 when I'm done tip (several people in Daz land like doing this). This helps offset a bit of the graininess in Iray renders. But of course it comes at the price of much longer render times. I mention this because if you are doing a 'simple' render without a lot of background or whatever, that can render in a few minutes, well the 'double the dimensions, then halve them in post trick might be useful to you occasionally...

Note that I now have dual GTX 1080s for rendering, so 3840 x 2160 isn't as painful as it would have been on the older laptop. Complex renders can still take 2 hours or more though, and even then those are not hitting 100% convergance.

Another thing you can do is, if you have two computers or if the CPU isn't getting bogged down, is to run two instances of Daz, working with the second instance on some other thing (maybe setting up a followup render with a different pose) while the first one is baking. That way, you aren't sitting there just twiddling your thumbs waiting for grass to grow...

If you are doing renders for a game, and are hardware constrained, I highly recommend using the 'render characters without background, then superimpose them on a static background in RenPy, etc.' trick. Several games/interactive novels do this. Sure, the lighting won't be 100% accurate, but rendering characters by themselves without rooms, furniture, etc. in the background that increase scene overhead can help cut down on those render times.
Thanks. i want to create a game but i totally noob in designing , rendering and animation. i can code its not that hard for me . i just want to see what the best out put i can get from my current hardware . There is no point to buy a new hardware if i don't know what am doing . thanks again guys . you helped a lot . cheers

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks. i want to create a game but i totally noob in designing , rendering and animation. i can code its not that hard for me . i just want to see what the best out put i can get from my current hardware . There is no point to buy a new hardware if i don't know what am doing . thanks again guys . you helped a lot . cheers
Another trick you can use, if you are doing the 'rendering models separately from background' thing, is to find a few HDRIs you like, that give you more or less the skin lighting that you find appealing, then hide the dome (still render dome + scene, just turn off Draw Dome).

When using HDRIs as your envirnnment map (under render settings), they can do a pretty good job of replicating natural lighting in Iray, and you don't have to mess with positioning lights. You should still learn how to use lights effectively of course, but HDRIs can be real timesavers. Note that you can also rotate the HDRI dome to get the proper 'light and shadow' angle/effect that you are going for.

Also, when doing this, make sure draw ground is set to on - this casts shadows from your character onto the ground plane, which are cast according to where the lighting is coming from. I recommend ground position mode be set to manual (if you don't mind manually adjusting the feet height to line up with the ground plane) when working with multiple characters, and with maybe a slight bump to ground shadow intensity.

has a bunch of free indoor and outdoor HDRIs that can help get you started.

HDRIs seem to be a lot less resource intensive than positioned lights as well. I just rendered 9 characters together (remember that I have 8 GB video cards), with a simple HDRI in the background, and they actually fit in the graphics memory. This usually never happens for me, so I usually have to render this many characters together in multiple passes, (say 3-4 characters per pass) or accept the painfully slow 'CPU only' render...

For indoor sets with actual models/walls, etc. HDRIs are less useful, but can still be used for the 'outside environment', say when looking through a window or whatever.

Also, you could 'mix and match' using the HDRIs as backgrounds for some scenes, and hiding the backgrounds and just getting the lighting effect in others (where you superimpose the characters over the background image), depending on what 'look' you have in mind for your game.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
Wondering if I could get people's opinions. I'm wondering about the breast size of one of my characters. Quick note, she's going to have the largest breasts among the 6 main female characters, they are definitely implants, and they are supposed to be very big. Just wondering how big is too big. Here are 3 sizes that I'm playing with. Honestly I like them really big but if everyone hates it that's something to think about.

She had body issues in the past and boyfriend problems and got implants among other things so that's why they're so big.

What do you think, can I stay with A or is that just too insane?

Sizes.png

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Wondering if I could get people's opinions. I'm wondering about the breast size of one of my characters. Quick note, she's going to have the largest breasts among the 6 main female characters, they are definitely implants, and they are supposed to be very big. Just wondering how big is too big. Here are 3 sizes that I'm playing with. Honestly I like them really big but if everyone hates it that's something to think about.

She had body issues in the past and boyfriend problems and got implants among other things so that's why they're so big.

View attachment 134309
Yeah, compared to some of other games out there that feature large breasts, you have nothing to worry about...

Also, this:

Reactions: MovieMike

MrNieth

Donor
Jul 22, 2017

View attachment 134309
i've seen way bigger than that here hehe but the only thing that suck with big breast is the clothes, it need more work to look good, there's rarely good result without dforce or creating my own set of cloth in another program

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
Yeah, compared to some of other games out there that feature large breasts, you have nothing to worry about...

Also, this:
Good Lord, that's just too much. I'm weird, I really like implants, bolt on, etc. Nice and bubbly. Thanks though, I know there are bigger so that helps take some ease off.

One thing I like is making big size differences because it makes big breasts seem bigger when they're next to small ones.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
i've seen way bigger than that here hehe but the only thing that suck with big breast is the clothes, it need more work to look good, there's rarely good result without dforce or creating my own set of cloth in another program
Clothes are definitely tough, luckily I take most of her clothes into marvelous designer and use their clothes sim to get good results.

Still, most of the others have normal to small boobs so it's easier to clothe them.

MrNieth

Donor
Jul 22, 2017
Clothes are definitely tough, luckily I take most of her clothes into marvelous designer and use their clothes sim to get good results.

Still, most of the others have normal to small boobs so it's easier to clothe them.
exactly what i end up doing i'm rarely satisfied with daz stuff (and it take way less time working clothe in MD) ah and you got a nice model btw

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
experiment with individual zbrush morph for separate scene
View attachment 134362
Nice. What all did you do in Zbrush? I've always wanted to learn to be able to make props and morphs and stuff in zBrush. I'd love a more flexible genital set, especially an extremely versatile asshole that can gape wide, prolapse, and all that nasty stuff. But man, it's tough learning everything.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
I'll update this comment when I get home tonight. Blood is easy because it's basically any water prop with a blood shader attached. But I'll explain what I did tonight when I get off work.

Update:

I used the Rigged Water Iray prop pack for the blood. Found some sprays and splashes I liked, resized and positioned as needed and used the blood shader in it. I think it's the SY Rigged Water Iray pack. There's a second one too, might be in the assets releases page. Basically positioned them on the knife and found a big splash, flipped it upsidedown and used it for the spray from the victim.

Not too much more to it than that.
nice, didn't know the rigged water pack came with a blood shader, i'm going to have to look into that, thanks for the update.

Suileef

Apr 5, 2018
Nice. What all did you do in Zbrush? I've always wanted to learn to be able to make props and morphs and stuff in zBrush. I'd love a more flexible genital set, especially an extremely versatile asshole that can gape wide, prolapse, and all that nasty stuff. But man, it's tough learning everything.
Her shorts and body.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes