3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

MothManlet

Nov 11, 2020
Are there any good tutorials out there on how to do this?
I'm sure there are some good tutorials out there but I taught myself through playing around with materials and looking up properties on the daz docs site

I've also been using daz for a few years so I've built up some experience.

I would recommend looking at a high quality character and try to understand how the artist set up the materials and understand what maps they use. Raiya has some good characters to look at

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
Don't know man.. I don't think denoiser should do the trick, it looks awful

1920x1080

View attachment 982735

View attachment 982739

Its settings greatly changed the values of burn highlights and crush black.. I reset them, let's see if it'll work
Ahh, I see. You're limiting your machine to try to get crazy results in just over two hours. Did you let it run for the full duration or did you stop the render early?

Lower your render quality to 1, converged ratio to 95-98% (higher for closeups to get some real detail), and then the time and samples will just be what you want it to run for. I'm on a Mac so with CPU only I set max samples to max (it never gets close) to make sure it always does the most in the time, and then I set it to go for 8 hours (28,800) and monitor as it goes. Once I get it to a point I like I'll stop it.

To reference my renders from yesterday that I posted above

0111 Ava Test 01 x2048.jpg
Max Samples: 15,000
Max Time: 57,600 (this is 16 hours, I let it run over night and I think it actually finished somewhere around 9-10 hours)
Rendering Quality: 1
Rendering Converged Ratio: 98%

0111 Ava Test 04 x2048.jpg
Max Samples: 15,000
Max Time: 28,800 (8 hours, stopped it around 1.5 hours)
Rendering Converged Ratio: 95%

0110 Ava Test 03 x2048.jpg
Max Samples: 15,00
Max Time: 28,800 (again, 8 hours, stopped around 2.5 hours)
Rendering Converged Ratio: 95%

I let the close up render to it's full 98% to avoid any denoise filters in Photoshop. The other two full body shots I stopped probably somewhere between 40-70% because I knew that there was enough so that I would only need to denoise one of the RGB channels in Photoshop later and keep a good amount of quality.

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
Ahh, I see. You're limiting your machine to try to get crazy results in just over two hours.
I am.. but it has been working so far.

Did you let it run for the full duration or did you stop the render early?
Something strange happened there too.. it finished on its own, but without reaching the max. samples or the time limit.

Lower your render quality to 1, converged ratio to 95-98% (higher for closeups to get some real detail), and then the time and samples will just be what you want it to run for. I'm on a Mac so with CPU only I set max samples to max (it never gets close) to make sure it always does the most in the time, and then I set it to go for 8 hours (28,800) and monitor as it goes. Once I get it to a point I like I'll stop it.
I can't afford to wait that long.. shit
I'm trying to understand what did the preset change that is causing a problem I did not have before.
(or what I did to it)

Your renders are magnificient.
I cannot match that quality though, not w/ what I've got.. while trying to render a dozen scenes /day.

NeoVlahos

Jun 17, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Why hurting yourself- your Mac that is- :) you can use export "everything" on or use an external Nvidia card you have ThunderBolt Right ?

• Haha
Reactions: SummmerP

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
I am.. but it has been working so far.

Something strange happened there too.. it finished on its own, but without reaching the max. samples or the time limit.

I can't afford to wait that long.. shit
I'm trying to understand what did the preset change that is causing a problem I did not have before.
(or what I did to it)

Your renders are magnificient.
I cannot match that quality though, not w/ what I've got.. while trying to render a dozen scenes /day.
Yeah, I gotcha. You can always do lower percentage (down to 60-70% with post denoise should be alright for most shots), but I think your render quality is really high for trying to crank out renders. For that hair, it looks like they aren't cooking long enough to render the transparency of the fly aways.

Your lighting could also be slowing it down. How is the scene lit?

Why hurting yourself- your Mac that is- :) you can use export "everything" on or use an external Nvidia card you have ThunderBolt Right ?
Yeah I know... :cry:

I do, but Nvidia cards haven't been supported for years with the OS updates. I've thought about running in Bootcamp and doing an eGPU setup though. Would just limit where I can do my work as I work on a laptop. I may just go a Windows RTX laptop on my next upgrade.

I've also thought about going with Apple's eGPU with an AMD card and doing Octane and having it convert all the iRay materials for Octane rendering. Haven't done too much research with this yet as I'm still very much a beginner and trying to just learn the basics of DAZ right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SummmerP

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I deleted the point light aaand.. we're back to normal

Lefuc?..
:poop:
The moment where they should have told you that the point lights in Iray are buggy as hell. xD I thought they fixed them. Looks like they didn't. So back to the old rule of thump. Use ghost lights if you need light in opposing directions, otherwise use spotlights and set "render emitter" 'off'.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes