3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Been writing a game for a while now, VN format, got the story set out
liand storyboards are 2/3 done. I know that with a VN you need great renders for the game to be any good, i've put this off for a while now due to a sub standard PC which i'm progressively improving, in the mean time i think i need to sharpen up my DAZ skills, which are functional but basic, here seems like a great place to do that so here are a couple of characters i've whipped up (not part of my game, perhaps extras if people actually like them)

Rob, the obligatory main man, a mid to late twenties, blue collar construction worker, not the brightest spark but a good guy on the whole:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Annette, recently divorced, a sexually frustrated woman in her early 30's who is bored with her life, her office job and her now ex husband, looking to expand her horizons a little.

That leaves Nadine, a girl in her second year of college, doing something arty i think, i wasn't really listening, trying her best to juggle her school work, family expectations and inclination to party:

What i'm looking for is for you more experienced renderers to suggest some situations, challenges and just generally give ideas for some renders for me to try with these three, the idea being that these will be practise renders for me and something for the thread to enjoy no matter if things go farcically wrong or turn out alright, all suggestions welcome.

OGDX

Dec 5, 2017
Been writing a game for a while now, VN format, got the story set out
liand storyboards are 2/3 done. I know that with a VN you need great renders for the game to be any good, i've put this off for a while now due to a sub standard PC which i'm progressively improving, in the mean time i think i need to sharpen up my DAZ skills, which are functional but basic, here seems like a great place to do that so here are a couple of characters i've whipped up (not part of my game, perhaps extras if people actually like them)

Rob, the obligatory main man, a mid to late twenties, blue collar construction worker, not the brightest spark but a good guy on the whole:

Annette, recently divorced, a sexually frustrated woman in her early 30's who is bored with her life, her office job and her now ex husband, looking to expand her horizons a little.

That leaves Nadine, a girl in her second year of college, doing something arty i think, i wasn't really listening, trying her best to juggle her school work, family expectations and inclination to party:

What i'm looking for is for you more experienced renderers to suggest some situations, challenges and just generally give ideas for some renders for me to try with these three, the idea being that these will be practise renders for me and something for the thread to enjoy no matter if things go farcically wrong or turn out alright, all suggestions welcome.
Hi, thanks for sharing. Those are really good renders for someone who considers their skill 'Basic', but hers a few suggestions that helped me improve and I hope will do the same not just for you, but for all future developers moderately familiar with Daz3d, who are making new games and have stumbled upon this thread, or just amateur artists like me who want to improve their Daz3d skill.
1. LIGHTING- This is pretty obvious. Everyone knows that you can't have an attractive scene without the use of good lighting, but most of the artists/developers who release a new game do so with renders in which they have overlooked the importance of realistic, accurate lighting. Your samples, though decent enough in posing, props etc, seem a little bland and basic because the scenes lack the depth created by real-life volumetric light. Take the bar scene for example. Most bars are never that brightly lit, and more importantly, almost all indoor areas in real life have dimly lit or dark regions. I suggest improving your knowledge of shadows and lighting by creating and playing with your own custom-created spotlights/point-lights, or even (if you wish to show daylight) distant lights. Maybe look at some actual photographs and try to recreate the lighting in your own scene.

2.Character Detail: This may not be as important as the above point, but it's the little details like these that will make your renders standout from the crowd. This is especially noticed in close-ups of characters. Forage the internet for any high detail, HD morphs for your characters, and make yourself familiar with them. A good example is 'EJ Face Morphs and detail' by EmmaAndJordi, for gen8 characters. Here's the link.

3.Cinematography/Camera-settings:
Very few people pay enough attention to this, but for the ones that do, the results show clearly. Things that may seem utterly insignificant to a new Daz user are sometimes the secret tricks of the trade of experienced artists. Sorry if this sounds a little far fetched, but when creating a scene, is it such a bad idea to think of ourselves not just as an artist creating a painting, but as a cinematographer of a movie, with your chosen Environment being your set, and your Genesis characters being your cast? Where you place your characters, which areas of your scene are empty and which are not speaks a lot about what you are trying to portray. Once you've created a basic scene, don't avoid the camera settings, such as frame width and depth of field. A few extra clicks can completely elevate the realness of a scene to the next level.

These were just a few things that have helped me, personally, and I'm not guaranteeing that they may work for you,or for everyone else. If not, I sincerely apologize for having wasted your time. If they do, I'm happy to have helped. I hope you can apply these suggestions in your renders, and create a beutiful, visually-appealing game. Best of luck!

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Honestly.. I don't even know what I was thinking, by trying this program here. I mean, what could possibly do a lads like me among all of these game devs here (and non of course, since there are others)? Mess, I'm sure of it.
Either way, after swearing so many times (and I think that N7 can confirm, since I did it so much in private), I came to the conclusion.. that I think I fully understand what doing a "Render" is and how much time can take per day to do one after another for an update.

In the end, this is what I came up with.
Pretty sure that with the first one, I should've fixed her left hand (right, if you see the pic of course), but since I didn't quite understand what the pose was, I just.. left that as it is :test:
And the second.. uh.. now that I see more clearly, I probably should've fixed the arm there, since like this seems that it's going inside her own right chest. Ah, well :FeelsBadMan:

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Hi, thanks for sharing. Those are really good renders for someone who considers their skill 'Basic', but hers a few suggestions that helped me improve and I hope will do the same not just for you, but for all future developers moderately familiar with Daz3d, who are making new games and have stumbled upon this thread, or just amateur artists like me who want to improve their Daz3d skill.
1. LIGHTING- This is pretty obvious. Everyone knows that you can't have an attractive scene without the use of good lighting, but most of the artists/developers who release a new game do so with renders in which they have overlooked the importance of realistic, accurate lighting. Your samples, though decent enough in posing, props etc, seem a little bland and basic because the scenes lack the depth created by real-life volumetric light. Take the bar scene for example. Most bars are never that brightly lit, and more importantly, almost all indoor areas in real life have dimly lit or dark regions. I suggest improving your knowledge of shadows and lighting by creating and playing with your own custom-created spotlights/point-lights, or even (if you wish to show daylight) distant lights. Maybe look at some actual photographs and try to recreate the lighting in your own scene.

2.Character Detail: This may not be as important as the above point, but it's the little details like these that will make your renders standout from the crowd. This is especially noticed in close-ups of characters. Forage the internet for any high detail, HD morphs for your characters, and make yourself familiar with them. A good example is 'EJ Face Morphs and detail' by EmmaAndJordi, for gen8 characters. Here's the link.

3.Cinematography/Camera-settings:
Very few people pay enough attention to this, but for the ones that do, the results show clearly. Things that may seem utterly insignificant to a new Daz user are sometimes the secret tricks of the trade of experienced artists. Sorry if this sounds a little far fetched, but when creating a scene, is it such a bad idea to think of ourselves not just as an artist creating a painting, but as a cinematographer of a movie, with your chosen Environment being your set, and your Genesis characters being your cast? Where you place your characters, which areas of your scene are empty and which are not speaks a lot about what you are trying to portray. Once you've created a basic scene, don't avoid the camera settings, such as frame width and depth of field. A few extra clicks can completely elevate the realness of a scene to the next level.

These were just a few things that have helped me, personally, and I'm not guaranteeing that they may work for you,or for everyone else. If not, I sincerely apologize for having wasted your time. If they do, I'm happy to have helped. I hope you can apply these suggestions in your renders, and create a beutiful, visually-appealing game. Best of luck!
All of this is great advice, character details is something that i can tack into character creation easily enough and is a great mention.

Lighting is something i'm getting a handle on slowly, outdoor lighting is somewhat easier, one dominant lighting direction with perhaps a few supporting lights depending on props and environment i can do, just need practise i think on that. Indoor light is a different story, low light is tough, getting the balance between realism and visual appeal is not the easiest thing to do and i need to get the hang of it, smaller rooms are easier IMO due to less drop off from smaller light sources, need to get some practise in on this one.

Cinematography had crossed my mind a few times, shot composition and the like, i'm aware of some of the tricks but i think some research may be in order. As for camera settings I've been leaving well enough alone for the most part, some depth of field would be nice like you say.

I think i'll take a try at some dimly lit rooms, perhaps bedrooms for the low light stuff, once I've got a couple of those that i'm happy with i'll be back.

Thanks for the feedback, it all helps.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes