3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
How do I do this lighting effect? I have seen many works here that use this same effect :unsure:
Hello friend, I am not sure but please ignore my boring explanation, if you have already known that already.

It is called headlight/ backlight/ rim light in Photography.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The key light is the biggest one and the fill light task is to cancel the shadow that is caused by the key light. So yes it can be the same type as key light but smaller in size. Backlight usually is more pointy than others, that is why it has a smaller spread angel (in Daz) Narrower Barndoor (In real-life). Its task is to polish the Depth of field. In another word, it makes the contrast between subject and backdrop/ background by lighting the edges of the foreground subject, mostly the hair.

Here is a good tutorial of controlling the spotlight in an easier way by DAZ -

Here is the nice HDRI pack on the DAZ store -

Hope it helps... Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

VRX_Creations

Jul 9, 2018
Hello friend, I am not sure but please ignore it if you have already known that already.

The key light is the biggest one and the fill light task is to cancel the shadow that is caused by the key light. So yes it can be the same type as key light but smaller in size. Backlight usually is more pointy than others, that is why it has a smaller spread angel (in Daz) Narrower Barndoor (In real-life). Its task is to polish the Depth of field. In another word, it makes the contrast between subject and backdrop/ background by lighting the edges of the foreground subject, mostly the hair.

Thanks for the explanation. I have been trying to do something similar for some time, but I don't think I have been able to because of the hardware limitations of my potatop :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: After Choices

daddydante88

Jan 16, 2019
Hello friend, I am not sure but please ignore my boring explanation, if you have already known that already.

You know I can't tell you how many tutorial videos I've watched on YouTube about three point lighting and not a single fucking one actually took the time and explain to me the purpose of each light. You just taught me more about lighting and I have in the three or four years I've been doing 3D modeling.

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
Thanks for the explanation. I have been trying to do something similar for some time, but I don't think I have been able to because of the hardware limitations of my potatop :ROFLMAO:
Same here, but you can try looking at how many spotlights you can handle under help>About your video card...

But as far as I know, it is not always an accurate detail.

Consider using the HDRI pack I show you above, it has smaller resolution versions itself which load a lot faster than larger versions.

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
You know I can't tell you how many tutorial videos I've watched on YouTube about three point lighting and not a single fucking one actually took the time and explain to me the purpose of each light. You just taught me more about lighting and I have in the three or four years I've been doing 3D modeling.
Hello good friend, really thank you for your compliments, I'm still learning, too.

Last edited:

2C3D

Aug 18, 2017
That is some outstanding lighting dude. Mind if I ask if you know any handy guides pertaining to Dad's 3D and good lighting?
Thank you. There's lots of stuff on youtube regarding lighting...both for Daz and photography in general. I like to play with hard lighting and strong shadows but it's really just best to experiment with different ideas.

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019

nice! Glad I'm not the only one who uses MoneyShotz as blood!

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes