3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

BravoMDB

Mar 23, 2020
You know I can't tell you how many tutorial videos I've watched on YouTube about three point lighting and not a single fucking one actually took the time and explain to me the purpose of each light. You just taught me more about lighting and I have in the three or four years I've been doing 3D modeling.
I feel the pain, although some things are slightly easier with a photography background, but even so, it does frequently feel like "no pain, no gain" when doing stuff with Daz. Then again I'm also learning Davinci Resolve and that is no different either....

I like the 3 point light setup a lot, although I find myself doing a lot more with Sun-Sky and messing with all those environment settings, you can get some very good lighting effects as a result, but it really is trial and error and a lot of tweaking to get the output that you want. I still find that I'm jumping over to Photoshop to make other adjustments for single images.

But for complex lighting requirements especially interior shots then you have no real option other than to work with different light sources. I use planes a lot and modify the surface on them to make much softer lighting, just as I would use a lightbox IRL.
Of course there are lots of photography videos on the use of lights and setup etc., so don't feel that you only have to rely on Daz tutorials for lighting.

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
I feel the pain, although some things are slightly easier with a photography background, but even so, it does frequently feel like "no pain, no gain" when doing stuff with Daz. Then again I'm also learning Davinci Resolve and that is no different either....

I like the 3 point light setup a lot, although I find myself doing a lot more with Sun-Sky and messing with all those environment settings, you can get some very good lighting effects as a result, but it really is trial and error and a lot of tweaking to get the output that you want. I still find that I'm jumping over to Photoshop to make other adjustments for single images.

But for complex lighting requirements especially interior shots then you have no real option other than to work with different light sources. I use planes a lot and modify the surface on them to make much softer lighting, just as I would use a lightbox IRL.
Of course there are lots of photography videos on the use of lights and setup etc., so don't feel that you only have to rely on Daz tutorials for lighting.
You really are saying the right things and I agree with you. I want to add some facts, again, please ignore if your knew it already.

1) Yes using emissive surfaces tend to give good soft shadows and save resources, too. I also use it a lot.

2) If you want soft shadows like IRL with a spotlight, you can try changing the geometry of light from a point to something like a rectangle. And then, making larger width and height settings also soften the sharp shadows.

light.PNG
I make it as typical softbox IRL. If this is a key light, I would use 80 Height and 25 Width for fill and Point/20-20 for Backlight.

3) And I experimented with a thing once and it works. It is putting a white plane (with a cut-off of 50% in the surface setting) in front of the spotlight and it softens the shadow quickly. And them parent it to light. So wherever the light goes our fake softbox will follow. Yes, the box should be better than a plane. Haven't tested it yet though.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Surprised there isn't a Fan Art thread for The Intoxicating Flavor, but here is a render of Alice

TIF - Alice - 01.jpg

Mika 7 base w/o the ears, Whitney Hair in dark brown, outfit is 1/2 of Kailani (Bottom and Panty), sandals are from Casual Summer. She is at PW Bikini Island.

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
Designing new characters is pretty fun. Btw, anybody knows any good college/school uniforms with dForce? Not those naughty girl uniforms, but a normal high quality western school uniform that girls could wear going to christian college or something.
It's mainly Japanese style dforce uniforms from what I've seen but there is a few that might work.

Reactions: After Choices
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes