3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Bavor

Aug 11, 2020
I need some Guru Help... Some time back I mentioned that I am having a problem with a particular set (asset Harwood House) it seems to default to CPU Render mode only for some reason. It is driving me batshit.... I can't seem to get it to even recognize the RTX 3080 at all and Bogs down a I-9 11 Gen at 5.3Ghz to a crawl to the point that the browser even falters coming up, and Denoiser won't even run........... Any one have any ideas.. It is that asset only so far that is giving me the fits. Is there a way to take the load off the CPU and maybe force it to use the GPU....
You ran out of VRAM and probably have a ton of stuff being rendered that isn't in the scene. Daz switches to CPU render int hsi situation. You can hide the unneeded items manually or use software to hide them. There are several different programs that help with that. This is the one I use:

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
I need some Guru Help... Some time back I mentioned that I am having a problem with a particular set (asset Harwood House) it seems to default to CPU Render mode only for some reason. It is driving me batshit.... I can't seem to get it to even recognize the RTX 3080 at all and Bogs down a I-9 11 Gen at 5.3Ghz to a crawl to the point that the browser even falters coming up, and Denoiser won't even run........... Any one have any ideas.. It is that asset only so far that is giving me the fits. Is there a way to take the load off the CPU and maybe force it to use the GPU....
I have said this in my game thread, here I copy/paste it for you.
____________________I am not a guru but...
I want to share my workflow for some bigger scenes with you. Please ignore if you have known already.

1) I use to lower the resolutions of textures visible in the scene. Usually, my maximum sizes are 2048 and the minimum ones are 1024 or 512 ( if that is the original resolution of that texture). There is no rule but the goal is to keep the scene loads not more than your GPU's Memory. Mine is 1660 super 6GB, so I try to keep my scene lower than 6GB. By doing that your computer will never ask CPU for a fallback. As a good consequence, you are 100% okay to turn Denoiser on. Otherwise, if your computer asks for CPU for help while rendering, there will be no Denoiser punching in even though we turned it on. I know using denoiser is hurtful but denoising later in photoshop is more hurtful.

View attachment 1171497

2) In render>Progressive Rendering, Rendering Quality Enable must be turned on, if you want to use denoiser.

View attachment 1171501
3) Putting Instancing Optimization from memory or auto to Speed is optional. But every little help.

View attachment 1171503

4) Finally, set Noise Degrain Filtering to 1 to avoid white grains.
Below are 100% must

Point Denoiser Available = On
Post-Denoiser Enable = On
Post Denoiser Start Iteration = 8 ( This is the best one, I can tell you from some experiments I have done in past)
Post Denoiser Denoise Alpha = On (this is optional)

With Post Denoiser Start Iteration = 8, you can see the result at the very earlier stage and can decide when to stop/cancel you render. Otherwise, for example, if you set it to 500, then you will have to wait till 500 to see how it will look like with denoiser turned on. With lower number like 8, the result can be seen quite well starting from like 50 for most cases.

One last thing to do before rendering is:

View attachment 1171506

5) Disable Allow CPU fall back and uncheck CPU under Rendering/Advance tab.

This will make sure to let you know that your PC will only be rendering with GPU which is a lot faster than CPU does. And Denoiser will surely be turned on if you lowered texture maps to suitable sizes according to your GPU's Memory Usage.

Hopefully, most smaller scenes are usually done rendering within 1-2 minutes for me. The bigger scene takes 20 minutes at most for me.

If possible adjusting exposure under tone mapping (don't take it wrong they are also necessary for pre-processing work to look better than natural) to brighten the scene will not speed up your rendering, it just removes the grains like ISO work on a real-life camera. If your scene is dark, the first thing to do both in DAZ studio and in real-life is to add lightings. Try adding emissive lights, surfaces (sometimes called ghost lightings) if you don't want to end up spending your GPU usage with point/spotlights. But from the POV of photography using a wider diameter lighting source (Both on Spotlight and Emissive Surface) or filtering the light with soft white/yellow plane surfaces will make your scene look like great standard in my knowledge. Softer shadow edges mean a great work of Gaffers in the shooting. But I am sure it will be optional for scary/creepy scenes.

I hope it helps. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
If Yoon had got a chance to Dare!!!

Zoe: Come on! Now I know how it feels to be shy!!!
Yoon: Then why did you choose dare at that house party, 5 years ago!!!
Zoe: I thought you would ask me for something dirty! I didn't even expect something like this?!
Yoon: Come on, this is our anniversary and you promised me to wear the couple dress and do anything I would ask for!!!

P.S Comic Dialog Box will make things look better IMO.
Yoon_Dare1.png Yoon_Dare2.png

deepandsilent3dx

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2018
Hello, Mister! Would you like to buy some cookies? It's for a charity!

HoP_Lilly_Cookies_02a.jpg

HoP_Lilly_Cookies_02a_crt.jpg

If you like my artwork, so don't be shy - join my Discord, follow me on Twitter and consider supporting me with a small donation on Patreon. You are very welcome and my heartfelt thanks are guaranteed.

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
deepandsilent3dx nice renders; I looked at your game thread, it seems like it hasn't been updated in ~2 years...is that right?

Was wondering as it seems like you do good work.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Iray will not use shared memory in a GPU render, if you exceed the VRAM you're going to use the CPU.

The real issue is why are you loading so much into the scene? Most of it probably isn't visible and much of what is visible probably isn't required to complete your render(s). I've used Harwood house in quite a few renders and never come anywhere near filling up my 11gb of VRAM. Think of your render as a school theater set, put in just enough in just the right places and you can make a complex looking scene with very few objects. It's tempting to "build" or furnish an entire house and then just move the camera around but that's probably the worst thing you can do when rendering, the render engine isn't setup to work like that.

If you build your scenes starting from empty space and only adding what you need it's much easier than doing it the other way around. This will also usually result in drastically reduced render times and renders that need far fewer iterations to reach the quality you're looking for.

If you still struggle to keep the memory usage down consider playing around with "Scene Optimizer" (should be available here in asset releases) to quickly reduce the resolution on distant surfaces and even completely remove maps you don't need on many objects such as normal and bump maps surfaces that are small, distant or obscured by DoF or shadows.

Hope that helps ;)
Thanks I will look into the Scene Optimizer.
This is what Posted in the software forum:

I have a complete scene set made without actors, and bring them in as needed. I have all of the grass either hidden or deleted. I only use the exterior and inside is empty (I think) except what ever is included with the house. I did it that way to have a ready made set with cars in drive and back yard setup always the same. I had pure hell with the pool set and the ground of back yard ( had to delete two panels of yard to not have ground in the pool) On most days when using the house I have noticed that there is just over 7g loading in 5 to 700 bmp's If I could just use the walls I think that would not happen. Here is the logfile and a quick render that I just did with a fresh load of DAZ. The GPU was used this time. Disregard the collisions as I was making the scene from the side and all that is hidden of course.
In the logfile I did see a ton of Warnings that I don't think I have seen before too.

View attachment render logfile.txt

house gpu test.jpg

Screen clip:

daz capture.PNG

Reactions: Reifon

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
I have said this in my game thread, here I copy/paste it for you.
____________________I am not a guru but...
I want to share my workflow for some bigger scenes with you. Please ignore if you have known already.

1) I use to lower the resolutions of textures visible in the scene. Usually, my maximum sizes are 2048 and the minimum ones are 1024 or 512 ( if that is the original resolution of that texture). There is no rule but the goal is to keep the scene loads not more than your GPU's Memory. Mine is 1660 super 6GB, so I try to keep my scene lower than 6GB. By doing that your computer will never ask CPU for a fallback. As a good consequence, you are 100% okay to turn Denoiser on. Otherwise, if your computer asks for CPU for help while rendering, there will be no Denoiser punching in even though we turned it on. I know using denoiser is hurtful but denoising later in photoshop is more hurtful.

View attachment 1171497

2) In render>Progressive Rendering, Rendering Quality Enable must be turned on, if you want to use denoiser.

View attachment 1171501
3) Putting Instancing Optimization from memory or auto to Speed is optional. But every little help.

View attachment 1171503

4) Finally, set Noise Degrain Filtering to 1 to avoid white grains.
Below are 100% must

Point Denoiser Available = On
Post-Denoiser Enable = On
Post Denoiser Start Iteration = 8 ( This is the best one, I can tell you from some experiments I have done in past)
Post Denoiser Denoise Alpha = On (this is optional)

With Post Denoiser Start Iteration = 8, you can see the result at the very earlier stage and can decide when to stop/cancel you render. Otherwise, for example, if you set it to 500, then you will have to wait till 500 to see how it will look like with denoiser turned on. With lower number like 8, the result can be seen quite well starting from like 50 for most cases.

One last thing to do before rendering is:

View attachment 1171506

5) Disable Allow CPU fall back and uncheck CPU under Rendering/Advance tab.

This will make sure to let you know that your PC will only be rendering with GPU which is a lot faster than CPU does. And Denoiser will surely be turned on if you lowered texture maps to suitable sizes according to your GPU's Memory Usage.

Hopefully, most smaller scenes are usually done rendering within 1-2 minutes for me. The bigger scene takes 20 minutes at most for me.

If possible adjusting exposure under tone mapping (don't take it wrong they are also necessary for pre-processing work to look better than natural) to brighten the scene will not speed up your rendering, it just removes the grains like ISO work on a real-life camera. If your scene is dark, the first thing to do both in DAZ studio and in real-life is to add lightings. Try adding emissive lights, surfaces (sometimes called ghost lightings) if you don't want to end up spending your GPU usage with point/spotlights. But from the POV of photography using a wider diameter lighting source (Both on Spotlight and Emissive Surface) or filtering the light with soft white/yellow plane surfaces will make your scene look like great standard in my knowledge. Softer shadow edges mean a great work of Gaffers in the shooting. But I am sure it will be optional for scary/creepy scenes.

I hope it helps. Thank you for reading.
Thanks.
I will recheck the settings. I don't have post denoise on , I turned it off it was taking 3 times longer to finish. I will try with your settings and see. I use an external Nvidia denoiser that is like lightning fast, and works wonders on every thing so far. It also reduces the size of the render about half.

Reactions: After Choices
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes