3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
How would you go about manipulating the primitive to emulate the movements of the blanket? I'm imagining just a flat, straight surface and applying dForce.
You can also use a mesh grabber and manipulate the primitive after you've used dForce

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
How would you go about manipulating the primitive to emulate the movements of the blanket? I'm imagining just a flat, straight surface and applying dForce.
dForce Magnets or assist meshes are powerful tools when it comes to the direct influence of any simulation.

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
You can also use a mesh grabber and manipulate the primitive after you've used dForce
dForce Magnets or assist meshes are powerful tools when it comes to the direct influence of any simulation.
I just don't understand why this is different from the original asset. You can add dForce, magnets, and meshes to the original asset as well as a primitive.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Well, the question is probably more aimed at the ladies here as well as those with a taste for the male aesthetics.
I'm toying around with different skins and settings for the male lead of "Chef's Kiss".
I have narrowed it down to three setups that I like the most(A/B/C).
A:
skin_A.jpg
This one needs a lot of light to show details. And I mean a lot. So much that it overpowers literally every brighter surface in the scene, there this would lead to a lot of work in postwork. On the other hand, it is a nice dark skin that leads the eye right to him.

B:
skin_B.jpg
This one has a strong reddish SSS that leads to very homogeneous lighting when paired with other characters. Also, it reveals a lot of details without any effort. But it increases the render time quite a bit, till I get enough samples for a denoiser to not destroy said details.

C:
skin_C.jpg
This is more or less a hybrid, I will only have to play with the specularity a little bit to tone the reflectivity down. But in the end, it will reveal enough details without blasting everything in a weaponisable ray of light. An unlucky side effect is that the brighter skin tone let him appear younger than the other two versions.

Which one do you prefer?

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I just don't understand why this is different from the original asset. You can add dForce, magnets, and meshes to the original asset as well as a primitive.
the main difference is, that you can choose the polygon density of a primitive, which leads to a more natural flow. You are only limited by your own hardware in this regard. While most PA assets are more designed with efficiency in mind, which will lead to jagged edges and weird behaviour through the simulation.

Last edited:

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Amber gets a job offer to become a model and goes for the "interview"... View attachment 1819914
I was actually working on creating my own character poses and facial expressions and saving them as presets for later use and I just had to throw them into an environment and whip something up. ;)
And the modelling job "interview" continues... ;)

job_interview2.jpg

Krosos

Engaged Member
Dec 1, 2018
Well, the question is probably more aimed at the ladies here as well as those with a taste for the male aesthetics.
I'm toying around with different skins and settings for the male lead of "Chef's Kiss".
I have narrowed it down to three setups that I like the most(A/B/C).
A:
View attachment 1820222
This one needs a lot of light to show details. And I mean a lot. So much that it overpowers literally every brighter surface in the scene, there this would lead to a lot of work in postwork. On the other hand, it is a nice dark skin that leads the eye right to him.

B:
View attachment 1820226
This one has a strong reddish SSS that leads to very homogeneous lighting when paired with other characters. Also, it reveals a lot of details without any effort. But it increases the render time quite a bit, till I get enough samples for a denoiser to not destroy said details.

C:
View attachment 1820227
This is more or less a hybrid, I will only have to play with the specularity a little bit to tone the reflectivity down. But in the end, it will reveal enough details without blasting everything in a weaponisable ray of light. An unlucky side effect is that the brighter skin tone let him appear younger than the other two versions.

Which one do you prefer?
Great Analystic work of the results of missing visual data in our perception of Visual Age (Doll Effect, Fountain of Youth trough illumination and frequency (information) manipulation) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Techn0magier

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
This is entirely my own opinion and is subjective. Just saying this now before some pedant later chimes in with "Actually..."

You have a little bit more control and freedom of how the primitive is used. Just to use Night Hacker's previous image as an example - take a look at the feet-end corners of the sheet. They look like they're tucked in under the mattress, despite being clearly in use. Sheets don't act like that. They get pulled up, moved around and more.

Not to mention that some original assets don't support dForce shaping.
Yeah, I have to agree. The results didn't bother me too much, but the original asset won't fall properly as it is already formed as a 3D object formed to fit the mattress where as a primitive won't have a predefined shape and so will fall over the characters without any limitations due to how it was made ahead of time. Also, I noticed the polygons were pretty spurratic on the original where as on a primitave I can make it a nice even grid. It will take more work, but I agree, the results would be worth it. I'll have to give it a try now, if for no other reason than to test and compare (something I tend to do a lot).

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
the main difference is, that you can choose the polygon density of a primitive, which leads to a more natural flow. You are only limited by your own hardware in this regard. While most PA assets are more designed with efficiency in mind, which will lead to jagged edges and weird behaviour through the simulation.
Ah, that makes sense.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
This is entirely my own opinion and is subjective. Just saying this now before some pedant later chimes in with "Actually..."

You have a little bit more control and freedom of how the primitive is used. Just to use Night Hacker's previous image as an example - take a look at the feet-end corners of the sheet. They look like they're tucked in under the mattress, despite being clearly in use. Sheets don't act like that. They get pulled up, moved around and more.

Not to mention that some original assets don't support dForce shaping.
Okay, I redone it with a primitive, added a dynamic dforce modifier as well as a smoothing modifier (and set smoothing to 50, I also had to set the smoothing modifier to GENERIC for collision and I grouped the characters and the bed all together so I could point the smoothing/collision modifier to the entire group). I copied the original quilt surface properties, but I couldn't use the original textures, normal maps etc, so I found another texture, normal map etc which worked.

I also disabled the option in the simulation to start from the default pose, this way they remain laying in bed.

When it was done, I had a minor poke through in two spots, I just moved the quilt up one click in the Y axis, and down one click and that solved it. The final result looks nice! Definitely an improvement.

motel_room husband2d.jpg

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes