3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Wow, you really got bent out of shape, I never responded to either of your posts, so NO there is not a single post that I even attempted to pick between your two images, stop saying otherwise (remember I don't give a shit if you use a denoiser just in misstatements).

With respect to helping the community, I believe my contributions and links to downloadable material speak for themselves.

I am bored with this conversation, you can facepalm it all you want. All new replies will be ignored.
Yeah, you did. I had posted a reply to someone else about how I got faster results with denoising without any quality difference here...
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/post-7677343

And you responded to to in the very next message all pissy for some reason...
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/post-7677514

And I responded to you with two example images (that I just reposted) here, one denoised that only took 5 mins, one that took 45 mins without denoising to prove my point. It's the ONLY time I have had to respond to attacks, and it was from YOU...
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/post-7677660

You have some sort of strange aversion against denoising I don't understand it. Don't like it, don't use it. All I can say is my own experience with it and I think the results speak for themselves. But hey, if you prefer not to use it, I'll never say a peep about it. You have some nice renders.

ModraHD

Formerly 'Lakius'
Mar 22, 2019
CharlotteCam-03.jpg
Actually decided to come back to this one. I changed some skin settings to lose the lively glow in exchange for a "spends her daylight hours indoors slathered in baby oil for fun and profit" sort of skin tone. This'll work for about any skin, just turn off limits for Base Color, Translucency color, and SSS Reflectance tint, then dial RGB up past 1. Translucency weight and SSS Reflectance Tint do most of the heavy lifting.

Past that, I also dialed down Base Bump and Normal Map to about 1/3 original value, for smoother skin.

NeverEast

May 26, 2017
As someone who just learned this, I feel I am compelled to share my new found knowledge. I give you 30 sec tutorial by myself, NeverEast. Do yourself a favor: download the needed programs and follow this guide immediately; you'll thank me later :KEK:

PSA-ForTheHomies.png

EDIT: Since it was asked below, here is the video I used to learn what the hell I was doing:

Last edited:

ModraHD

Formerly 'Lakius'
Mar 22, 2019
Denoising is like any tool or setting in DAZ - you need to know how to use it, and its out of the box settings are bad. It's not as good as Blender's options either. (Truly fucking barbaric by comparison actually) But if you do a quick render, estimate how long each sample takes, then decide how long you can stomach waiting, and set the denoise to start close to there, the end result is a faster render while minimizing lost quality. Another fun technique to try out is rendering at double resolution and then scaling down to kill noise. Try both at once even.

I'll also say that telling someone straight up to just ignore it and get a new GPU is distant, dismissive, and callous advice. (Unless they need to render video) I have a hard time agreeing with any opinion spiced with that comment. Not everyone is in a country where video cards are reasonably priced, or even remotely affordable.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
But if you do a quick render, estimate how long each sample takes, then decide how long you can stomach waiting, and set the denoise to start close to there, the end result is a faster render while minimizing lost quality.
I tested this many times. I always run many tests for these sorts of things to see what happens and there was no improved quality if you started denoising later on, nor was it any faster. I suggest you run a few tests yourself to see. As a matter of fact, I had a render go FASTER with denoising on, which honestly didn't make sense to me, but I can't argue against what I seen myself. Plus I posted my results in here, one with denoising that took 5 mins, one without that took 45 mins and they look identical.

I have since run yet even MORE tests lately and in SOME of my tests I can see the difference, but you need a magnifying glass and several minutes to see it and most of the time, the difference is more noise from the render that didn't have denoising... and it looked worse. In any event, if you're rendering for something like a visual novel, the odds are t he person who sees it will probably see a compressed image like a WEBP or a JPEG, and they won't sit there for 10 mins examining the pixels, but will probably zip by it fairly quickly.

What can I say, I ran many tests. Most I could not see a difference, the denoising never took longer for me, not with my older crappy video card and certainly not now with my newer card. Certain renders are more noticeable than others, but in the tests where it was, the difference wasn't worth the additional time required.

This topic reminds me of NTR, people seem to get their panties in a bunch over the mere suggestion of it, well, I may start adding people to my BLOCKED list on here so I no longer see their whining (and unless you offer an alternative solution when you complain, than it is merely whining). I'm getting tired of discussing it. I offer advice based on my own tests, don't believe me or want to argue against it, fine, whatever, all I can say is to those considering it... RUN YOUR OWN TESTS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF! All I know is what works for me, and I won't stop using it. Period.

Anyhow... back on topic... another horribly denoised image by me... avert your eyes people!!! ;)

motel_room bonus3.png

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes