3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

FutAphrodite

Developing Tower of Dreams
Game Developer
Jun 13, 2022
(Fut)Aphrodite and Elyn

Elyn (right one) is actually the main protagonist of a game I'm planning on releasing. I wanted to show this image specifically because this is the first time I render Aphrodite(left) inside a room. She's not part of the game, just a character I made as a mascot.

I also sharpened the image quite a bit, becuase it matches the medieval aesthetic.

Show_Your_Daz_Skills - Copy.png

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
Hey Night Hacker, got a question for you since you're the denoiser guy. I've been working in a very dark scene and so I'm looking at very long render times and still ending up with noise after the render hits my 25000 max samples limit. I tried turning on the denoiser (kicking in at 15000) and it did eliminate the noise, but it didn't reduce the time of the render and I'm still pushing up to the 25000 samples mark. Seems like whenever you talk about using the denoiser you mention rendering in a fraction of the time you would without. Does my experience seem abnormal to you? Maybe the fact that I'm rendering in a very dark scene?

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Hey Night Hacker, got a question for you since you're the denoiser guy. I've been working in a very dark scene and so I'm looking at very long render times and still ending up with noise after the render hits my 25000 max samples limit. I tried turning on the denoiser (kicking in at 15000) and it did eliminate the noise, but it didn't reduce the time of the render and I'm still pushing up to the 25000 samples mark. Seems like whenever you talk about using the denoiser you mention rendering in a fraction of the time you would without. Does my experience seem abnormal to you? Maybe the fact that I'm rendering in a very dark scene?
It takes less time because you don't have to do that many samples. If you do the same samples as always, it will take the same length of time. All the renders you see from me are currently set to 400 samples with the denoising kicking in at 400, the last frame. I have done them with only 200 samples and they were just fine as well (some of my older ones were 200 or less).

What I recommend is trying it at reduced samples, and do several renders of same scene, each one reduced dramatically, then compare them, naming the files with the sample count you used, and when you see a noticable drop in quality (without having to zoom in), than you'll have the sample count that's good for YOU. What I am happy with and what you are happy with may differ after all. I can honestly live with 200 samples if need be, but 400 seems to be perfect and higher than that doesn't show any difference in quality, at least to me. Of course, the higher the resolution you use, the higher the sample count should probably be. My renders are all 1920x1080.

Run some tests. Try it at 400 samples with denoising on 400, then maybe 800, 1600 etc... and compare, pick the sample size that satisfies you. But that is what makes it faster.

Reactions: Impious Monk

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
It takes less time because you don't have to do that many samples. If you do the same samples as always, it will take the same length of time. All the renders you see from me are currently set to 400 samples with the denoising kicking in at 400, the last frame. I have done them with only 200 samples and they were just fine as well (some of my older ones were 200 or less).

What I recommend is trying it at reduced samples, and do several renders of same scene, each one reduced dramatically, then compare them, naming the files with the sample count you used, and when you see a noticable drop in quality (without having to zoom in), than you'll have the sample count that's good for YOU. What I am happy with and what you are happy with may differ after all. I can honestly live with 200 samples if need be, but 400 seems to be perfect and higher than that doesn't show any difference in quality, at least to me. Of course, the higher the resolution you use, the higher the sample count should probably be. My renders are all 1920x1080.

Run some tests. Try it at 400 samples with denoising on 400, then maybe 800, 1600 etc... and compare, pick the sample size that satisfies you. But that is what makes it faster.
Ah, that makes sense. I was misunderstanding how the denoiser worked. Thanks for the advice!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Night Hacker

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Ah, that makes sense. I was misunderstanding how the denoiser worked. Thanks for the advice!
Anytime. Let us know what you come up with. I'm curious as what what settings you'll end up with. I tend to run tons of tests on my settings to compare differences.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes