3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
Kool !! (y) I also see that you have the same problem that I do with vehicles, and HDRI settings :) How ever hard I try to keep the tires on the ground.... It just ain't happening :)
Oh, I just threw a map into the project at random. It does happen, but a manual ground or shadow matte catcher may help. But, with HDRI, shadows will be flawed unless we recreate shadow and reflection catchers with matte material (meaning they are there invisible just to catch the shadows and reflections).

When in auto ground mode, DAZ Studio will sometimes use the closest geometry of your project as the main target. They first cast ground shadow on that part of the object. And if that part is small, the rest of the model may appear to float. There are several solutions, but one of the quickest is to insert a plane as ground to the world center. With suitable lighting, we must ensure that the plane and tires of vehicles are well touched. After that, you can either matte or delete the plane. If you make it a matte object, you might want to set the material to something close to the ground of your HDRI. For instance, if your hdri ground is a reflective surface, a matte object should have glossiness in the setting. I hope this helps.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Those are fantastic shaders. I haven't tried them, but shader and geometry shell behave differently in these circumstances. Because if you apply those beautiful shaders to the car body, the entire vehicle will be transformed into glass. A geometry shell, on the other hand, simply adds another layer on top or beneath the applied surface, leaving the original layer untouched.

But yeah, they are perfect for plain glass surface.

However, geometry shells are not always optimal because there is a lot of customizing required between UV mapping and determining the flow of water direction. In this sense, the decal node is not a better but preferable alternative.
my understanding is that you are able to define your own material zones and add the shaders appropriately, a couple of posts that maybe be useful:

I have done similar whilst kit bashing a fireplace, took a bit but in the end I got what I wanted

[EDIT] this also comes in handy [/EDIT]

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Hacker

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
I'm working on a window rain-drop geometry shell, texture, and material that will work on a variety of surfaces.

Still, at the very early stages of development. I might sell it in the future. Who knows, maybe give it out for free. ;)

For the time being, I'll be testing them in my game's upcoming update.

A really nice job on them, so far, I had to look twice to check that the first Image was a Render & not a photo. You've gotten the 'car glass' rain pattern almost perfect, you just need to 'steam-up' the insides of the windows. Please put me down to 'test-drive' a test version, before you offer it to the 'Great unwashed'...

• Red Heart
Reactions: After Choices

ModraHD

Mar 22, 2019
SlutButt-02.jpg
Vectored a certain tattoo I wanted to see on another butt... Monique 8 carried the most trunk weight in this character shape. Sling Monokini, 2021-02 hair. Aurore skin tweaked for a stronger tan.

Tattoo how to: Apply the same layered image preset to the base and translucency maps, at about 70% opacity. If you're making your own tattoo, don't forget to apply a ~3 pixel radius gaussian blur to your tattoo to soften harsh edges. Either fuck around with your preferred photo editor to place the tattoo, or use DAZ's layered image editor to place it. If you want it to cross any seams (along the center of the back, between thigh and hip, etc), you'll need to use an actual 3d material editor.

Free Tattoo, placed as pictured above:
SlutButt.png

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
View attachment 1967626
Vectored a certain tattoo I wanted to see on another butt... Monique 8 carried the most trunk weight in this character shape. Sling Monokini, 2021-02 hair. Aurore skin tweaked for a stronger tan.

Tattoo how to: Apply the same layered image preset to the base and translucency maps, at about 70% opacity. If you're making your own tattoo, don't forget to apply a ~3 pixel radius gaussian blur to your tattoo to soften harsh edges. Either fuck around with your preferred photo editor to place the tattoo, or use DAZ's layered image editor to place it. If you want it to cross any seams (along the center of the back, between thigh and hip, etc), you'll need to use an actual 3d material editor.

Free Tattoo, placed as pictured above:
View attachment 1967635
Thanks for this. Had not considered the blur and opacity level.

Reactions: ModraHD

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
my understanding is that you are able to define your own material zones and add the shaders appropriately, a couple of posts that maybe be useful:

I have done similar whilst kit bashing a fireplace, took a bit but in the end I got what I wanted

[EDIT] this also comes in handy [/EDIT]
Yes, it is possible to create your own UV mapping, not simply a surface. You still don't understand it, but if you insist, please allow me to explain it again. Or you may simply disregard the following.

The geometry tool and the geometry shell are not the same thing.

In brief, anatomy tools such as Golden Palace, Dicktactor, and Wet and Tanned Body all employ geometry shell. They do not use the geometry tool to create a new surface from the same UV map. It is not user-friendly. And it has no chance against laying another layer on top.

The Geometry Tool, also known as the Gemetry Editor, is a tool used to modify the polygons and vertices of an object. I read the above link a long time ago. In the first link, they use the geometry tool to choose a portion of an object and then generate a surface from that selection. When you leave the DAZ Studio, you can do a lot more. I've been considering uploading it for a long time. Once I've updated my game, I'll include instructions on how to unwrap UV and create entirely new material zones.

Yes, getting what you want is the most essential thing. But...

Assume you wish to place the raindrop and steam structure on a polished surface. Because the table is bright, it must already contain some roughness maps. Metallic, glossy, dual lobe, top coat, and so on are some examples. Your prior roughness maps will be lost if you replace the rain texture on your table. You can attempt adding LIE, but you will be severely constrained in terms of functionality compared to what Geometry shell can do.

Since you mentioned customizing, you can't just rotate on a surface with two polygon directions determined by UV mapping. Occasionally it will appear fine, and sometimes it will not. So you might want to learn how to make a fresh UV map. That's why people utilize 3D painting tools such as Adobe Substance Painter. You don't have to worry about UV direction while using these programs since what you see is what you get. If the UV map is simple enough, photo editing tools such as Photoshop may be used to follow the uv direction.

For example, if you rotate the map in one way but your shirt has one direction for arms and one direction for body, as you previously stated, you will need to design your own surface and rotate the surfaces accordingly. When you have a complicated item, this will take a long time. In this case, employing 3d painter or carefully painting in photo editors while following the orientation of the UV map is the best option. Because geometry shell cannot generalize all objects, specialized products such as Golden Palace for GENESIS 8 FEMALE exist. GENESIS 8 Male's wet and tanned body. Because various UV maps need the use of different custom geometry shells. In these circumstances, neither your strategy nor mine are user-friendly or ideal.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes