3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes
Nov 9, 2020
I think the hdri lighting is actually pretty good, aside from the weird shadows it causes.:unsure: Maybe the main problem with the shadows is actually with the clothes subdivision as others said? Layering is still a pretty useful technique though.

*Maybe you can add an extra fill light to help soften the shadows on that side?

There are some great tutorials on GIMP by this guy on youtube: , if you haven't heard of him.
Everything everyone has suggested so far has been correct. I've unfortunately tried it all already (on the daz side, nothing with gimp), but was wondering if there was more to it. I know the reason for the shadow is that the shirt is older with a low poly surface. With the breasts morphed the way they are, the only way the shirt's quality could go up is if it had a higher quality to begin with. I just really wanted to keep it. but I have applied all of these conversations to other renders I was struggling with, so you all were immensely helpful nonetheless. I'll check out the youtube stuff next. Thank you.

Reactions: 0ier 3D

DataMining

Sep 26, 2020
Everything everyone has suggested so far has been correct. I've unfortunately tried it all already (on the daz side, nothing with gimp), but was wondering if there was more to it. I know the reason for the shadow is that the shirt is older with a low poly surface. With the breasts morphed the way they are, the only way the shirt's quality could go up is if it had a higher quality to begin with. I just really wanted to keep it. but I have applied all of these conversations to other renders I was struggling with, so you all were immensely helpful nonetheless. I'll check out the youtube stuff next. Thank you.
have you tried to set the normal map and bump map strength to 0% and then see if there are any artifacts left? If not then try and up to 10% -> 100% first with the normal and then the bump and see when you start to see issues.

Reactions: TheNihilProphet
Nov 9, 2020
I booted up DAZ and worked on replicating your problem and I did... here's a closeup of a character I have with similar issues..
View attachment 2453757

Of course, one way to minimize this problem is to zoom out some...
View attachment 2453759

But it is still noticable a little, but you will also notice that she is too dark on one side, which is the root of the problem. I added a camera into the scene with the headlamp for it on Auto so it would light up the scene a little (it is on if there are no scene lights) and this is the zoomed in shot again with just the camera's headlamp...
View attachment 2453766

As you can see this is FAR less pronounced, and of course, zoomed out even less so.

To get the scene lighting you will need to make sure you have it set to "Dome and Scene" in the environment settings so you get both the HDRI lighting AND scene lighting (like that from the camera). You need to add a camera to your scene, if you already have one, make sure the headlamp is on OR just add some other light source like a spotlight to the scene to lighten up the dark side and reduce the contrast as it is that contrast between a really bright side and a dark side that is causing issues.

Given that your character is outdoors, she wouldn't have a really dark side normally anyhow. And of course, if you have the environment lighting cranked up, this will only make the problem more pronounced with one side being too bright.
You are absolutely right. I was going for more of a glaring sun situation. Out of my wardrobe, the problem only persists in thick sweater-like textures, while thinner textures like what you have are fine. I seems the only options I have within daz limitations is to create less intense shadows like you said or use a smoother texture. I prefer the intense shadows for this render, but if it looks objectively better with a more realistic lighting, I'll have to deal with it.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
You are absolutely right. I was going for more of a glaring sun situation. Out of my wardrobe, the problem only persists in thick sweater-like textures, while thinner textures like what you have are fine. I seems the only options I have within daz limitations is to create less intense shadows like you said or use a smoother texture. I prefer the intense shadows for this render, but if it looks objectively better with a more realistic lighting, I'll have to deal with it.
If you click on the sweater you like, then click on General in the parameters tab and look for mesh resolution, you can raise that up. It will subdivide the polygons and increase them which MIGHT help you out, smoothing out the mesh (of course, this takes more GPU power and memory). I haven't tested it yet, but that might be right up your alley.

Reactions: EndlessNights
Nov 9, 2020
If you click on the sweater you like, then click on General in the parameters tab and look for mesh resolution, you can raise that up. It will subdivide the polygons and increase them which MIGHT help you out, smoothing out the mesh (of course, this takes more GPU power and memory). I haven't tested it yet, but that might be right up your alley.
That was the first thing I tried. It usually works but not here. I'll need a smoother texture regardless of the subdivisions. you were right about the shadows being too dark.

have you tried to set the normal map and bump map strength to 0% and then see if there are any artifacts left? If not then try and up to 10% -> 100% first with the normal and then the bump and see when you start to see issues.
I had not at first. Ever with clothes actually. After testing, the shadow stays blocky, but does smooth out. This will definately be useful in a couple other renders of mine. Thank you.

This is my other shirt for her outfit: Daiyu at The Park 2 Part 2bsfxnx.png

Rizo

Jul 29, 2017
Waiting In The Library
fbad0289d981e298f2a00f7c9cdf3c83.jpg
Went for something a little different this time. Turned out looking like a loli for some reason, I think the camera zoom and headsize are the cause, but to late to fix it.
Full-Res in usual links in sig below.

darkside80

Jun 25, 2017
That was the first thing I tried. It usually works but not here. I'll need a smoother texture regardless of the subdivisions. you were right about the shadows being too dark.

I had not at first. Ever with clothes actually. After testing, the shadow stays blocky, but does smooth out. This will definately be useful in a couple other renders of mine. Thank you.

This is my other shirt for her outfit: View attachment 2453949
I have also had this kind of artifact in the shadows. I usually get rid of it by increasing the resolution (subdivision) but also by opting for another light source more suitable. I made a small video showing the different results depending on the light source and the resolution.
View attachment Shadow1.webm

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes