3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
90 minutes? Are you sure GPU is doing render, not CPU? I can't imagine making a VN 90 minutes per image.
with a 1060 the backgrounds from Stonemason together with more complex characters can use a lot of time. I ran into the same quite often. 60 Minutes is the threshold I normally use, when I have to create images for a game or VN. For contests and competitions a render can took several hours (7+) before postwork. I use Scene Optimizer only, if the image would fall out of the GPU otherwise, and only when I need more than a single still.

Reactions: P_S_Y_C_H_O

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
It sucks. Sometimes I spend one day trying to make emotion look more or less realistic. For that I need to render it. I would give up after second try.

Reactions: Techn0magier

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
90 minutes? Are you sure GPU is doing render, not CPU? I can't imagine making a VN 90 minutes per image.
Switched off the CPU use for rendering and the iterations were at the same frequency. With Daz / Win 10 the GPU processor usage does not show up correctly in task manager. The GPU memory usage is most definitely being fully utilised. Most of the renders I am doing are fairly background heavy and with multiple characters hence the time required.

As a comparison the full resolution torso render (1800 x 3000) of my current avatar only takes 10 minutes. However this is quickly converging 3-point lighting and a simple backdrop.

Reactions: P_S_Y_C_H_O

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
On a GTX1060 the image I created was done in about 90 mins. I get just under 100 iterations per hour when rending at 4k (final is down sampled to 1080p). I would render it for longer if I was doing one off's, however trying to push out a large number of images for the VN. With only 3 characters, I am not bothering to use scene optimizer.
I must be doing something wrong then most of the images I post are 4k and I am doing them on a 1060 but I leave them on overnight as they usually take 7 hours more sometimes even when I use screen optimiser and anything you have posted seems to have equal of or more detail than mine so any hints or tips on cutting down the time are most welcome

lexx228

Engaged Member
May 30, 2017
I think 90 minutes is a very good result for such a scene (especially for gtx1060)
what fantastic equipment or skills do you have?maybe you can teach us how to do better?I am ready to listen to any advice and suggestions;)

Reactions: Techn0magier

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
I think 90 minutes is a very good result for such a scene (especially for gtx1060)
what fantastic equipment or skills do you have?maybe you can teach us how to do better?I am ready to listen to any advice and suggestions;)
No idea. maybe 720p is the difference? If scene takes more than 60 minutes - I remove everything from back of camera. Scene optimizer... Just a gaming laptop

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I must be doing something wrong then most of the images I post are 4k and I am doing them on a 1060 but I leave them on overnight as they usually take 7 hours more sometimes even when I use screen optimiser and anything you have posted seems to have equal of or more detail than mine so any hints or tips on cutting down the time are most welcome
I really like the renders you are currently producing, however to produce the style that you are achieving takes more time. The reason for this is the light sources you are employing (different colours / similar intensity). You often have competing light sources, hence each iteration of the render produces different results. As a result it take more iterations to get the image to converge sufficiently.

From my perspective, this is not a fault is what you are doing, just a consequence of what you are trying to achieve. To date one of the best renders I have ever done is in the spoiler below. Whilst the light sourcing is simple, I have used an environment box to scatter the light to simulate dust. From memory this was about a 6 hour render at 4k and it did not even remotely come close to converging (maybe 1%), however the lights from the police car have substance, as they create a cone from the scattering environment.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you are doing a low quantity of renders, then focus on the lighting having meaning. If a light source has a purpose, leave it in the scene, if it does not then remove it. Many of the best artistic renders do not converge, because the light path during rendering is complex, just like the real world. If you are looking for speed, then use HDRI or lighting setup similar to 3-point such that the light sources do not compete with each other. Personally I prefer to live somewhere in the middle on my VN, where I weigh up rendering speed versus artistic merit. As such many of my images have different rendering times (iterations) and unfortunately I have to re-render a significant portion (~30%) when this doesn't work out.

PS: Many people have different hardware at their disposal. A more meaningful comparison is to compare the quantity of iterations to achieve the desired result, as this is independent of hardware / time. Also in relation to iterations, often better results are done with far fewer iteration on a higher resolution render, than a large number of iterations at lower resolution.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
I really like the renders you are currently producing, however to produce the style that you are achieving takes more time. The reason for this is the light sources you are employing (different colours / similar intensity). You often have competing light sources, hence each iteration of the render produces different results. As a result it take more iterations to get the image to converge sufficiently.

From my perspective, this is not a fault is what you are doing, just a consequence of what you are trying to achieve. To date one of the best renders I have ever done is in the spoiler below. Whilst the light sourcing is simple, I have used an environment box to scatter the light to simulate dust. From memory this was about a 6 hour render at 4k and it did not even remotely come close to converging (maybe 1%), however the lights from the police car have substance, as they create a cone from the scattering environment.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you are doing a low quantity of renders, then focus on the lighting having meaning. If a light source has a purpose, leave it in the scene, if it does not then remove it. Many of the best artistic renders do not converge, because the light path during rendering is complex, just like the real world. If you are looking for speed, then use HDRI or lighting setup similar to 3-point such that the light sources do not compete with each other. Personally I prefer to live somewhere in the middle on my VN, where I weigh up rendering speed versus artistic merit. As such many of my images have different rendering times (iterations) and unfortunately I have to re-render a significant portion (~30%) when this doesn't work out.

PS: Many people have different hardware at their disposal. A more meaningful comparison is to compare the quantity of iterations to achieve the desired result, as this is independent of hardware / time. Also in relation to iterations, often better results are done with far fewer iteration on a higher resolution render, than a large number of iterations at lower resolution.
Thanks for the advice and yeah the lighting is one of the most difficult things to work out The Dragon one was just a sunset HDRI which worked out remarkably well but I will take on board what you have said and try to employ some if not all of it my future renders and by the way Love your work and look forward to the next installment

Reactions: Xavster

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Thanks for the advice and yeah the lighting is one of the most difficult things to work out The Dragon one was just a sunset HDRI which worked out remarkably well but I will take on board what you have said and try to employ some if not all of it my future renders and by the way Love your work and look forward to the next installment
Some artists downplay the use of a HDRI, as it does not give complete control over the scene lighting. Personally a HDRI is the best way of creating lighting variation as a result of the scene that surrounds the render. Whilst I still use spotlights / emissive surfaces to light my scenes, I often use back-lighting via a HDRI.

For the bed render I posted recently (Tanya, Lia & Bobo the bear), I modified the ship cutout opacity to create a window such that I could use primary lighting via a HDRI. The scene has two primary light sources, The HDRI though the window and a back light from and emissive sphere near the top of the stripper pole. I did have to dick around with the dome rotation, but I like the result.

At the end of the day, it's not how 'clever' you are, but the quality of the art you post. Simple can be awesome.

GhostPhil

❤︎The Redhead Harem Master❤︎
Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Some artists downplay the use of a HDRI, as it does not give complete control over the scene lighting. Personally a HDRI is the best way of creating lighting variation as a result of the scene that surrounds the render. Whilst I still use spotlights / emissive surfaces to light my scenes, I often use back-lighting via a HDRI.

For the bed render I posted recently (Tanya, Lia & Bobo the bear), I modified the ship cutout opacity to create a window such that I could use primary lighting via a HDRI. The scene has two primary light sources, The HDRI though the window and a back light from and emissive sphere near the top of the stripper pole. I did have to dick around with the dome rotation, but I like the result.

At the end of the day, it's not how 'clever' you are, but the quality of the art you post. Simple can be awesome.
Exactly, it doesn't matter how good or bad you are, in a way it is always good and you can always improve as well ;)

Reactions: larry5168

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
Mind The Gap

I like how the default lighting for this scene looks, but sure needs a lot of cooking.
Reduced some of the noise in Ps
9,5 hours, 1215 iterations
I also think that I didn't check if the camera had DoF enabled, since besides the noise, the model seem a bit out of focus when zoomed on her all the way

Stacy-Subway.jpg

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
I think the difference is a few million pixels and their display:)from this should and the difference in time...
sorry my eng
there is either 10,000 or 100,000 pixel's per old pixel, which make up megapixel's, which is linked to the sample setting in the renderer and how many times a pixel gets rendered, and down to what size

or something along the lines

you can work out the resolution by doing some math with the megapixels, but i have forgotton

as far as iray goes, min samples should be detail, and max samples should be per pixel rendering

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes