3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

zramcharan

Aug 18, 2018
jfredy78 It's a feature in daz 4.11 i think, you can access it in the filtering option of the iray render. It reduce a lot of the noise but some details too. You can gain some time with some of your renders with that.
Some of us use a command line to do it. I found one on this forum and I do not know where it came from after I DL-ed it. So you may want to go back a ways in this forum to get it

Last edited:
Reactions: jfredy78

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
question idiote : depuis plusieurs page tout le monde parle de denoiser

silly question: for several page everyone talks about denoiser what is it ???
Aprés pour le "post denoisser" de daz le mieux c'est le mettre le setting "post denoiser start iteration" a 8/16, si tu laisse le reglage a 8 sa te fait des skin de personnages en pate à modeler...

After that for the "post denoisser" of daz the best is to put the setting "post denoiser start iteration" at 8/16 , if you let the setting at 8 it makes you skin of characters in play dough....

Last edited:
Reactions: jfredy78

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
there were 4 lamps on the ceiling and a window :unsure:how do you lighting your life( or daz scene)?
I'm really interested, I'll be happy to know how to do it right;)
Alright. Considering your last image, I would approach lighting it exactly like a photographer will do.

You have a giant window as a light source. The subject of your scene is really close to that light source, so I would use it as my main light and not the other way around.

I would render a test scene with only the window as my main source of light. I would use an IBL/HDRi or Sun-Sky and keep the window ghost light too, if I need to have even more light hitting the subject of the scene.

Then I'll introduce two more lights in the scene. A rim light and a hair light. I would point the rim light at the back of the subject and give it a slightly different color then white, to make her silhouette pop out. For the hair light, I would use a strong photometric spotlight with a narrow spread angle just to light the subject's hair and nothing more.

If after all that, you still find your subject to be too much in the dark for your taste, you can also use a reflector. In this case a reflector will be a 1M wide simple white plan that is positioned parallel to the window outside the camera. You can also play with the inclination of the reflector to catch its reflection in your subject's eyes.

Last edited:

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
About denoiser:
I don't like it.. from my point of view the skin looks totally unreal, more like plastic or barbie doll..

Reactions: lexx228

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
About denoiser:
I don't like it.. from my point of view the skin looks totally unreal, more like plastic or barbie doll..
Change a settings "post denoiser start iteration" It tells daz when the denoiser will work, 200 doesn't change the rendering or it's not visible if it produces something after that just adjust.

PS: Strangely enough, for me the denoiser daz removes the aliasing made in 4.11 xD

Last edited:

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
Change a settings "post denoiser start iteration" It tells daz when the denoiser will work, 200 doesn't change the rendering or it's not visible if it produces something after that just adjust.

PS: Strangely enough, for me the denoiser daz removes the aliasing made in 4.11 xD
Still not convinced.. tried that as well..
It's like that stupid effect from your phone camera to hide your defects and sometimes it makes the picture worse..

No denoiser:
373053_1_Head_And_Shoulder_Camera.png
25-30 minutes or so.. can't remember.. I rerendered this earlier for another test
Denoiser on:
denoiser.png
17 minutes
Same settings only denoiser on/off:
Screenshot 2019-07-31 11.49.08.png

I could save the render time by reducing the quality but that's not my point.. I'm not happy with the results...
On this example, it's quite ok but I'm still not happy..
The hair looks like shit.. like a bag of silme with honey dropped on her head..
The skin texture it's barely visibile..
Oh yeah.. and the shadows.. let's not talk about that.. you can kinda see them on this one as well on black backround.. download the samples and scroll between them.
Yeah maybe it's noisy my 1st one.. I would prefer to increase the iterations number and wait longer and get something closer to reality than barbie doll without textures and only a few colours here and there..
It's good if you want to do a Glamour scene dunno.. A Victoria Secret looks better than a denoised picture..

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
Still not convinced.. tried that as well..
It's like that stupid effect from your phone camera to hide your defects and sometimes it makes the picture worse..

No denoiser:
View attachment 359264
25-30 minutes or so.. can't remember.. I rerendered this earlier for another test
Denoiser on:
View attachment 359270
17 minutes
Same settings only denoiser on/off:
View attachment 359269

I could save the render time by reducing the quality but that's not my point.. I'm not happy with the results...
On this example, it's quite ok but I'm still not happy..
The hair looks like shit.. like a bag of silme with honey dropped on her head..
The skin texture it's barely visibile..
Oh yeah.. and the shadows.. let's not talk about that.. you can kinda see them on this one as well on black backround.. download the samples and scroll between them.
Yeah maybe it's noisy my 1st one.. I would prefer to increase the iterations number and wait longer and get something closer to reality than barbie doll without textures and only a few colours here and there..
It's good if you want to do a Glamour scene dunno.. A Victoria Secret looks better than a denoised picture..
Or in fact the post denoiser this product only once on the iteration chooses so that's why the number is low.
So 10/14 to keep a little bit of the skin xD

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
I don't know.. from what I read on Daz forums for some works awesome, for others not that awesome..
I didn't said it's a bullshit feature.. but from my pov or from my renders it doesn't look good..don't take me wrong..
I'm still new in this.. maybe I don't know how to use it properly.. oh well.. :)

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
I don't know.. from what I read on Daz forums for some works awesome, for others not that awesome..
I didn't said it's a bullshit feature.. but from my pov or from my renders it doesn't look good..don't take me wrong..
I'm still new in this.. maybe I don't know how to use it properly.. oh well..
The same, the hypotheses of a newbie (me)...

deepandsilent3dx

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2018
Most here use the denoiser wrong.

If you render a picture with, let's say, 2000 iterations, then it is totally crazy to set the denoiser start iteration to 250.

Set in this case the value to 1500 or higher.

Yes, you won't save so much time, but the end result will be much clearer and more detailed.

Denoiser is not a magic wand that produces a super render for you in no time at all. It is an instrument for special situations to reduce the disadvantages of Iray (noise despite long render time).

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018

If you render a picture with, let's say, 2000 iterations, then it is totally crazy to set the denoiser start iteration to 250.

Set the value to 1500 or higher.

Yes, you won't save so much time, but the end result will be much clearer and more detailed.

Denoiser is not a magic wand that produces a super render for you in no time at all. It is an instrument for special situations to reduce the disadvantages of Iray (noise despite long render time).
xD At 1500 my rendering is already finished since a long time.
I'm still between 800/1200...
go we'll test at 500 ( make your bets).

GhostPhil

❤︎The Redhead Harem Master❤︎
Donor
Sep 3, 2018

I mostly start the denoiser at like 999/1000 Iterations and you can even start it after the image is rendered ;)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
Then you have to choose a value that corresponds to your render time.

But don't start the denoiser too early. That's the trick.
Well, we're testing, has 8 his barbie made, has 22 no difference but bye bye glossiness, 250 no difference on the skin but outfits better detailed, 500 now.
The only thing you can see is the aliasing removed.

May 9, 2018
I'm still new in this.. maybe I don't know how to use it properly.. oh well.. :)
The same, the hypotheses of a newbie (me)...
There are two ways people around here talk about to "denoise" an image (aside from image editing softwares like PS, GIMP.. etc.), the native Daz3d Denoiser that works in parallel with the rendering process and a small program that uses an external command code that you can use after rendering an image.

Each of these two have their ups and downs, the Daz3d Denoiser works great the longer you keep your image rendering, it's a slow process but in the end it gives you a decent look especially for those images where the well-lit areas look sharp and nice and the darker areas are noisy. The process though does add to your render time and your results will vary depending on how bad/good the image lighting / noisy areas are.

On the other hand you have a small external program by a Declan Russel that analyses an image for noise after you render it and then it does its thing and how long that takes depends on the amount of noise found in the processed image. The results here are usually very good and it doesn't overstep on the image and tends not to smear things around like the one in daz, in most cases it keeps things sharp and tidy. The thing is an average user stays away from it because it doesn't have a user interface and it handles things via command codes. HOWEVER, some dude over at the Daz3d forums did a small tutorial on how to add it as right clickable option, you can even use it on multiple files, just highlight, right click and let it do its thing! It does however require you to do a windows registry edit to set it up.
denoise.png

. The right-click things should be somewhere at the end of the page.

Have fun and I hope you find this useful :)

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018

I am an fan of using down-sampling personally. Currently my renders are set to stop at between 100 and 200 iterations, dependent upon the scene complexity (number of light sources). Typically I use a 2:1 down-sampling ratio hence my renders in terms of time are equivalent to 400 to 800 iterations without down-sampling. I render --> denoize --> reduce image size.

The very high iterations used by many users reminds me of a definition of insanity.
Insanity is to repeat something many times with the exact same starting conditions, expecting to get a different result.

Once you get past 100 iterations, each successive iteration adds very little data to the final result. By rendering at a higher resolution, you gain more data at way fewer iterations. Once you weed out the anomalies (denoizer - external program), you are left with a far superior set of data.

PS: Sorry for the science tone in the post in what is generally an artistic thread, however I believe many users are wasting GPU cycles for almost no benefit. To give you an idea of what is possible, the following images are an horrifically complex light setup with external light source reflecting / refracting through glass and several emissive light sources. However the following result was achieved using 150 iterations / denoize / down-sample.
e08 030.jpg

e08 031.jpg

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
There are two ways people around here talk about to "denoise" an image (aside from image editing softwares like PS, GIMP.. etc.), the native Daz3d Denoiser that works in parallel with the rendering process and a small program that uses an external command code that you can use after rendering an image.

Each of these two have their ups and downs, the Daz3d Denoiser works great the longer you keep your image rendering, it's a slow process but in the end it gives you a decent look especially for those images where the well-lit areas look sharp and nice and the darker areas are noisy. The process though does add to your render time and your results will vary depending on how bad/good the image lighting / noisy areas are.

On the other hand you have a small external program by a Declan Russel that analyses an image for noise after you render it and then it does its thing and how long that takes depends on the amount of noise found in the processed image. The results here are usually very good and it doesn't overstep on the image and tends not to smear things around like the one in daz, in most cases it keeps things sharp and tidy. The thing is an average user stays away from it because it doesn't have a user interface and it handles things via command codes. HOWEVER, some dude over at the Daz3d forums did a small tutorial on how to add it as right clickable option, you can even use it on multiple files, just highlight, right click and let it do its thing! It does however require you to do a windows registry edit to set it up.
View attachment 359324

. The right-click things should be somewhere at the end of the page.

Have fun and I hope you find this useful :)
There you go, chief, it's done.
With the application that Xavster provided.

Sans titre.png

Reactions: asd33asd33

Larry Kubiac

Feb 4, 2018
I am an fan of using down-sampling personally. Currently my renders are set to stop at between 100 and 200 iterations, dependent upon the scene complexity (number of light sources). Typically I use a 2:1 down-sampling ratio hence my renders in terms of time are equivalent to 400 to 800 iterations without down-sampling. I render --> denoize --> reduce image size.

The very high iterations used by many users reminds me of a definition of insanity.
Insanity is to repeat something many times with the exact same starting conditions, expecting to get a different result.

Once you get past 100 iterations, each successive iteration adds very little data to the final result. By rendering at a higher resolution, you gain more data at way fewer iterations. Once you weed out the anomalies (denoizer - external program), you are left with a far superior set of data.
And yeah, but we don't have your science on daz.
You give a scene with the typical lighting and will make a lot of people happy ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BrainDeadMonkey
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes