3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
Hey all, I'm a professional programmer, but have been wanting to build a game. So I finally picked up Daz3d a few hours ago and started playing around with it. So I'm obviously not a modeler or versed in 3d art at all. So these images are obviously not posed well and use some generic assets and other stuff I found. My main question that I figure some people might have an answer for just by looking at them real quick is: I rendered these via Iray to 95% convergence, roughly 2500 iterations each. To me there still seems to be a bit of graininess, especially like in the shadows near her waist and thighs. Is that something that is usually a symptom of lighting? Or are there other things that you folks normally do to deal with it. One image is more brightly lit, while the other is substantially darker. Thanks!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DiosDecay

Mar 2, 2018
I'm still kinda new to Daz myself, but I usually would raise the rendering converged ratio to 98%, bump up the rendering quality to a 3 or 5 and change the max samples to 10,000ish. Depending on what I'm doing I vary it a bit by doing some test renders to see what helps. I'm sure there are probably better rendering programs out there (I think some are mentioned earlier) but I haven't tried them.
There are also some videos on youtube that may be of some use that deal with getting more out of renders/lighting etc. Hope this helps.

D

Dr PinkCake

Hey all, I'm a professional programmer, but have been wanting to build a game. So I finally picked up Daz3d a few hours ago and started playing around with it. So I'm obviously not a modeler or versed in 3d art at all. So these images are obviously not posed well and use some generic assets and other stuff I found. My main question that I figure some people might have an answer for just by looking at them real quick is: I rendered these via Iray to 95% convergence, roughly 2500 iterations each. To me there still seems to be a bit of graininess, especially like in the shadows near her waist and thighs. Is that something that is usually a symptom of lighting? Or are there other things that you folks normally do to deal with it. One image is more brightly lit, while the other is substantially darker. Thanks!

Great renders! The first one is very good, the second needs more iterations. 2500 iterations are very few to be honest. I usually do around 10k max per image, 95-98% convergence and unlimited time (= 0s). Darker scenes will always take much longer than lighter scenes and they tend to get very grainy.

To reduce grain you can render for a longer time, add ambient lighting to your scene, emit light from props/surfaces, add ghost lighting, remove roof and let dome light in. Another technique to reduce grain is downsampling, i.e. rendering an image in 1080p and reduce the size to 720p (if that is what you are aiming for). The nearest neighbor principle takes care of a lot of grain this way.
Good luck on your project!

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
Great renders! The first one is very good, the second needs more iterations. 2500 iterations are very few to be honest. I usually do around 10k max per image, 95-98% convergence and unlimited time (= 0s). Darker scenes will always take much longer than lighter scenes and they tend to get very grainy.

To reduce grain you can render for a longer time, add ambient lighting to your scene, emit light from props/surfaces, add ghost lighting, remove roof and let dome light in. Another technique to reduce grain is downsampling, i.e. rendering an image in 1080p and reduce the size to 720p (if that is what you are aiming for). The nearest neighbor principle takes care of a lot of grain this way.
Good luck on your project!
Awesome, thank you so much for your input and helpful tips. Some good information for me moving forward and it makes perfect sense, I hadn't considered the down sampling. I was worried I might get something like "well you need to run a tachyon pulse through an inverse graviton wave emitter with a quadranium surface reflection magnifier."

D

Dr PinkCake

Awesome, thank you so much for your input and helpful tips. Some good information for me moving forward and it makes perfect sense, I hadn't considered the down sampling. I was worried I might get something like "well you need to run a tachyon pulse through an inverse graviton wave emitter with a quadranium surface reflection magnifier."
Just ask around in this community when you need help and feedback. There are some extremely helpful and talented devs here who loves to help. I never could've imagine that a HC adult community would be less toxic than other social platforms.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Just ask around in this community when you need help and feedback. There are some extremely helpful and talented devs here who loves to help. I never could've imagine that a HC adult community would be less toxic than other social platforms.
I, too, have found the people on here generally helpful and pleasant. I think it might be because a lot of these games are "passion projects" (see what I did there?). But seriously, I think a lot of the devs and creators give a shit unlike some less niche places. Anyway, have a half-assed (I'm full of them) render I'm not super happy with. I didn't even let it finish rendering so it's a bit grainy.
babe2.png

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
Here is another bit of experimentation using some of the tips mentioned earlier. I bumped the convergence to 99%, render quality to 5. I wanted to experiment with having a shadow cast from out of view, with some low light. I guess I've noticed that Iray doesn't like low-light very much does it? I had to keep messing with the lighting, cause it would just say okay 99% converged after like 100 iterations.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Here is another bit of experimentation using some of the tips mentioned earlier. I bumped the convergence to 99%, render quality to 5. I wanted to experiment with having a shadow cast from out of view, with some low light. I guess I've noticed that Iray doesn't like low-light very much does it? I had to keep messing with the lighting, cause it would just say okay 99% converged after like 100 iterations.

One thing you can do is render the scene a little brighter to make iray happy then alter it in your favorite photo tool. It's not the best, but it can have decent results. Also, Max Samples will affect how long it spends on the render.

bts

Nov 21, 2017
Sorry about bumping up an inactive thread, but didn't know where else to post for feedback and didn't wanna create a new thread for it. I am trying to create a little game this summer, and this is one of the first renders. This scene involves the mc lying on a hospital bed and just gaining consciousness, and his sister (no surprises here) is looking at him, with a (hopefully) subtle smile.

I have this one question in particular - Is it okay to use daz models without making modifications for characters? Is it frowned upon or acceptable. I can't really make a character/model myself, and any changes I make to models I've downloaded always turn out for the worse.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions regarding the render, I would really love your opinions and insights.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
@bts The render quality seems fine, you use good shaders and lighting so that's good, but a little poke-through in the chest area. Time and practice will make you better

Some people complain about commonly used assets, but there really is a lack of assets for Daz users. You can always go to the shapes tab in Daz and turn down the dials for certain heads and bodies. Play around, you might come up with someone beautiful and new. But people have also made successful games using the Lilith, Victoria, Michael, and Darius models just as they are.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Sorry about bumping up an inactive thread, but didn't know where else to post for feedback and didn't wanna create a new thread for it. I am trying to create a little game this summer, and this is one of the first renders. This scene involves the mc lying on a hospital bed and just gaining consciousness, and his sister (no surprises here) is looking at him, with a (hopefully) subtle smile.

I have this one question in particular - Is it okay to use daz models without making modifications for characters? Is it frowned upon or acceptable. I can't really make a character/model myself, and any changes I make to models I've downloaded always turn out for the worse.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions regarding the render, I would really love your opinions and insights.
This thread is far from inactive, not sure where you got that idea. Anyway...

As far as character models. I have quite a few characters downloaded and most of them put a slider into the actual model. So what I like to do is try different % of different models and see what I can come up with. You can get a decent amount of variation by making slight adjustments and combos of different models. Some of them look terrible when combined, you'll have to explore it yourself. This mostly applies to heads as I feel more comfortable shaping bodies.

I think she is just a smidge short of a smile. I realize you said subtle, but if this was a dial (and it might be) I'd tick it like one or two % up. Of course I haven't seen the character's "resting face" so it might be enough. If you show her normal expression just before a subtle smile, the subtlety is easier to detect and this might be plenty. I can personally spend like 30min on an expression if I don't like it, so take that as you will.

Overall, I'd say the scene is very stark. If that's intentional, ignore the rest. If you have an easy way to make the walls a color other than white, it would help. It could be really light, just something mild would be fine. Given just this scene, nothing screams hospital to me. I realize, having been told it's a hospital, she is holding the edge of a hospital bed. If you can include more of the MC's body in the bed, that might help. The more traditional approach would be to have her to one side. Then you can include hospital equipment in the shot. If you stay with this angle, I can't help but feel like some minor detail could be on that back wall. Be it a cabinet, a white board, box of gloves, I dunno.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Been working on some POV shots for my game.
View attachment 100521
Do you want some feedback? :)

[EDIT]
Okay, so I'm guessing this pose started as something else from the looks of it. She seems unnecessarily contorted. It's not an impossible pose, but highly uncomfortable. It would be much more natural if her legs were off to the right, probably most natural if she was lying on the bed. Now, I realize what a pain in the ass that might be. If you want a sort of sloppy fix, just lower her torso a bit and put her legs to the side. Then tighten up the shot so you can't even see her legs. It seems like you are going for a from the head perspective, but if you aren't married to that, you can get a decent bit closer.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes