3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

M7wXgJ7HfXi

Sep 9, 2019
Hi all. This is my first post as I am still figuring out DAZ Studio for a month or two now.

I decided I REALLY needed to work on understanding lighting, so I took a hotel room model from DAZ store and replaced the lighting that came with it my own.

Here's my attempt at soft "mood lights" with all the other room lights off - any feedback welcome.

New version of "mood lights" in hotel room.
Left image is a light I put over the headboard over the bed (ONLY). Middle image is the "mood lights" that I tuned to be a bit more orange (ONLY). Right image is with both the headboard light AND the mood lights on.

Any feedback welcome. For instance do you think the headboard light might need to be a bit brighter?

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Left image is a light I put over the headboard over the bed (ONLY). Middle image is the "mood lights" that I tuned to be a bit more orange (ONLY). Right image is with both the headboard light AND the mood lights on.

Any feedback welcome. For instance do you think the headboard light might need to be a bit brighter?
Kind of, the first looks like moonlight, the 2nd looks pretty realistic, but the 3rd is the one where you can see the most detail. It is a fine line between realistic dark lighting, and allowing the player to see the detail of the scene you worked so hard on. Not all of us have bright enough screens to see some of the darker stuff some people do, so it can be a real challenge.

In some ways, for me, it's a tough call between 1 and 3.

Reactions: BrainDeadMonkey

CulayTL

Sneaky Bastard
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2018
I ll go for the 3..

Not all of us have bright enough screens to see some of the darker stuff some people do, so it can be a real challenge.
Just remember now like quite long time ago.. 15 years.. CRT monitors ftw.. was lucky enough I had quite a good and had an argument about a musicvideoclip with a friend.. there was an item there I could clearly see it and he didn't see it.. I was wtf mate you blind?!
These days things have changed.. shouldn't be a problem anymore.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I ll go for the 3..

Just remembered now like quite long time ago.. 15 years.. CRT monitors ftw.. was lucky enough I had quite a good and had an argument about a musicvideoclip with a friend.. there was an item there I could clearly see it and he didn't see it.. I was wtf mate you blind?!
These days things have changed.. shouldn't be a problem anymore.
IDK, I have seen people complaining about some games (Gates Motel go so many complaints that the dev complained about it in the game), and I know that I hate when I am playing a game and the scene it too dark to see anything, no matter how 'realistic' the lighting might be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
IDK, I have seen people complaining about some games (Gates Motel go so many complaints that the dev complained about it in the game), and I know that I hate when I am playing a game and the scene it too dark to see anything, no matter how 'realistic' the lighting might be.
Most people don't understand that the human eye is pretty light sensitive compared to a camera. And a render engine like iray emulates a camera, not the human eye, therefore you can't use realistic light settings and hope that typical camera settings would result in an image similar to what a human sees. An artist has ti adjust the exposure and focus to achive that. The same goes for colors. And today we have to deal with the fact that literally every observer will see our images filtered by their own display settings.

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019

Imo all three, even the third one look a bit to dark, do you want the have "visible" lights in your scene ?
Cause these headboard lights do not look that realistic to me and every additional light emitter in the scene
increases the render time.

If you just like to have some moody light setting I'd recommend you a linear point light.

Made you two pics of a scene I'm working on with a linear point light as only light source.
For the second one I've only changed the light color.

LPL_DML.jpg LPL_TV.jpg

If you'd like to experiment with it, make you a LPL, make sure it's switched to photometric mode (assuming you're rendering in Iray)

Leave intensity and intensity scale alone and in- or decrease the lumen value (don't fear big values)

Try the different light geometries and colors, for soft shadows, like in my pic, choose disc or sphere and set witdh and height to higher values like 50-100.

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
Most people don't understand that the human eye is pretty light sensitive compared to a camera. And a render engine like iray emulates a camera, not the human eye, therefore you can't use realistic light settings and hope that typical camera settings would result in an image similar to what a human sees. An artist has ti adjust the exposure and focus to achive that. The same goes for colors. And today we have to deal with the fact that literally every observer will see our images filtered by their own display settings.
So true, and it's not only the sensitivity, it's also the fact that your brain is able to merge different visual information.
Which cameras mostly can't, there's a reason why photographers have all this stuff at their sets to create a "natural" lighting. :)

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes