MasterN64

Apr 29, 2020
Setting and tone overall were fucked from the beginning and further expansions and explanations on this don't really help.
For example game has crime system which kinda works for the sake of gameplay but that's it. "You were raped? Bruh, get lost we are hign on aphrodisiac or something, we will do nothing. Wait, you stole an item worth of 5 whatevers a month ago? Now we're interested.."
And not to mention things like player capable of being most notorious fighter, best chef in town, freaking mecenat paying hundreds of thousands to renovate the said town, etc at the same time but hey "looks breedable enough, so I will try to bang this one despite them being actually not just famous asskicker but freaking VIP". Bruh.
Also never noticed game explaining why player and some LIs are completely unaffected to things like said aphrodisiac which drive everyone excluding them fuck crazy. Sydney doesn't give a fuck despite the fact the church isn't protected in any way, their parent is completely unaware, MC, Bailey and so on.
Guy the tone and setting of the game is literally that society doesnt give a damn about prosecuting anything other than money. That sexual exploitation of people is considered normal. That the church is more than just a religious building that serves as a direct analog to Christianity and in fact has more plot about what is going on with the city when you do their plotline. Nowhere is it stated or implied that any of the characters are somehow unaffected by drugs in any way and the simple fact that getting influenced by them DIRECTLY impacts the player stats proves this. These are not the big plot holes you think they are since you clearly lack the understanding of the setting as a whole. The problem isnt with the setting it is with your total lack of understanding about the setting itself.

The entire fucking point of the setting is that you are a piece of meat. It doesnt matter how well known you are or how innocent you are or how important you are. Nobody gives a shit. If you cant or refuse to accept that then i dont know what you are even doing here.

FacelessLN

Nov 6, 2018
Does anyone know if the developer has plans to add the possibility to punish Bailey and other scum? Don't really want to begin a new playthrough if I can't do shit to defend Robin and the others.

Feb 17, 2023
I've previously made mention of limitations of choice and "player freedom", so it's kind of nice to see someone who did some development on the game kind of back up why there will always be fundamental difficulties with this kind of design philosophy, even if it's from a bit of a different angle. Shit, if I had to try to write scenes and always make them vague enough that it works for all types of characters no matter who/what is involved OR if I had to start writing alternative versions to cover all the different major variations, I'd probably give up pretty damned fast too. It sounds both very obnoxious and limiting, which has to make it frustrating to always work inside that framework.

I think at some point, we have to recognize that any game, even a living and still developing game like DoL, is ultimately still just a game, and every game has its core strengths and weaknesses, and those weaknesses will inevitably start to feel very amplified if you spend enough time ramming your head against them. It'd be nice if we could selectively erase parts of our brains so that we could experience things for the first time again, but we all stop playing what were once our favorite games (and watching our favorite movies, reading our favorite books, listening to our favorite music albums, etc.) eventually...even if we come back to them again years down the line. Too much repetition without new and interesting variations becomes predictable becomes rote and mindless becomes tired and painful becomes existential boredom and terror, it's just how we work. Life would be a lot simpler for everyone if it wasn't, though.
I think the most telling example is (in vague terms - sorry - not much interest in being specific given that just showcases who I am in an instant) was that I helped write a scene with over 50 alternate scenes, and if you play it in-game right now, it's something a lot of people will never see, because it happens and depends on a mix of gender/appearance + what's happened in the game until then.

I've always wanted to expand on it, but it's just not feasible, because the entire thing is coded in a way that it only works if there's an alt for every single possible divergence, and I'm not keen on writing 50+ alternate scenes for every possibility that stay in line with the other content addition rules.

Add to that that the game's development has become a lot more "code it yourself" than "write and it'll get coded", and you kinda end up without a possibility to innovate if you don't know how to code, or where you know how to code but aren't a good writer that can innovate.

The handful of people who are good at both end up overworked entirely, and poof.

The community itself doesn't help much either, given that aside from Vrel, there's maybe 5 people who are genuinely helpful (which, to be fair, is more than 0) towards new contributors these days. Something something, teaching is harder than doing it yourself.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I think the most telling example is (in vague terms - sorry - not much interest in being specific given that just showcases who I am in an instant) was that I helped write a scene with over 50 alternate scenes, and if you play it in-game right now, it's something a lot of people will never see, because it happens and depends on a mix of gender/appearance + what's happened in the game until then.

I've always wanted to expand on it, but it's just not feasible, because the entire thing is coded in a way that it only works if there's an alt for every single possible divergence, and I'm not keen on writing 50+ alternate scenes for every possibility that stay in line with the other content addition rules.

Add to that that the game's development has become a lot more "code it yourself" than "write and it'll get coded", and you kinda end up without a possibility to innovate if you don't know how to code, or where you know how to code but aren't a good writer that can innovate.

The handful of people who are good at both end up overworked entirely, and poof.

The community itself doesn't help much either, given that aside from Vrel, there's maybe 5 people who are genuinely helpful (which, to be fair, is more than 0) towards new contributors these days. Something something, teaching is harder than doing it yourself.
Now I'm way too interested in what scene even is that not to ask

4.50 star(s) 187 Votes