Unity Abandoned Delivery Pilot Dreams and Debts [v0.8] [Acac]

2.70 star(s) 6 Votes

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I think that Spec Ops: The Line is a good example of how not to do a game. The creators only succeeded with it if their aim was to kill the franchise (which they did).

Enjoyment is at the heart of the definition of "game" in this context. Games are not books, movie, nor music, so comparisons to such are inapt. Attempts to make games annoying in order to demonstrate some point succeed so seldom that it should be a game design rule of thumb to avoid that at all costs. The efforts to streamline this game have noticeably improved its "fun quotient" and I would urge the dev to streamline it even more.

raska42

Feb 16, 2018
Games/books/movies/music/etc do not have to be "fun". Atonement is a relentless downer, but that doesn't mean that there's anything inherently wrong with the book or movie adaptation; Spec Ops: The Line, is especially after a certain point, not very fun to play, but that isn't a knock against it, it's part of the point. The point of a game is whatever the creators want it to be.

I don't see where acac is soliciting funds from anyone, so I'm not clear on the crowd funding thing, but I think we're all very familiar with the oft-made argument that "I think X feature(s)/design would make more money and this is an inherently commercial product so you're obligated to make the game that I want and not whatever you're doing now". It's a bad argument, especially when the dev is making a something as a side project or a hobby and there are no other stakeholders involved.
Bit late, but not a thread I was watching closely.

Perhaps 'fun' is the wrong word. Enjoyable maybe? Fulfilling in some sense? I get what you're saying, and agree for books, movies, and to a lesser extent music (feels like it's kinda breaking down there). Games however, are made to have 'fun'. That fun can be enjoying a tragic plot, striving to outplay your opponent, or something else. In this case though, after numerous complaints about the slog through menu's, acac decided to claim it was because they 'wanted the player to go through the tedious motions, that the main character herself goes through'. Intentionally making a game tedious is... well, sure, I suppose you can call it an 'artistic choice' of the dev. It's a recipe for disaster though, especially in adult games.

As for crowd funding, that was mostly meant as opposed to having a development budget or being truly free (no patreon, subscribestar, coffee, itch, etc). Grabbing for money didn't appear to be as big a focus for acac as most dev's (likely fairly low priority), but itch does encourage people to donate to the dev, and income/extra income typically helps.

All said and done, it's a shame to see acac abandon another game with decent potential. It badly needed some menu optimization, but aside from that it was a fun game. Looks like shortly before they abandoned this one though, so maybe we'll see it in the spring.

LowLevelLesser

Feb 8, 2021
Bit late, but not a thread I was watching closely.

Perhaps 'fun' is the wrong word. Enjoyable maybe? Fulfilling in some sense? I get what you're saying, and agree for books, movies, and to a lesser extent music (feels like it's kinda breaking down there). Games however, are made to have 'fun'. That fun can be enjoying a tragic plot, striving to outplay your opponent, or something else. In this case though, after numerous complaints about the slog through menu's, acac decided to claim it was because they 'wanted the player to go through the tedious motions, that the main character herself goes through'. Intentionally making a game tedious is... well, sure, I suppose you can call it an 'artistic choice' of the dev. It's a recipe for disaster though, especially in adult games.

As for crowd funding, that was mostly meant as opposed to having a development budget or being truly free (no patreon, subscribestar, coffee, itch, etc). Grabbing for money didn't appear to be as big a focus for acac as most dev's (likely fairly low priority), but itch does encourage people to donate to the dev, and income/extra income typically helps.

All said and done, it's a shame to see acac abandon another game with decent potential. It badly needed some menu optimization, but aside from that it was a fun game. Looks like shortly before they abandoned this one though, so maybe we'll see it in the spring.
Sorry, but no (they're no longer working on any games):

2.70 star(s) 6 Votes